Hot Box Records

Stubbsy

hot box was a term used in chicago warehouses parties 86/87 to describe a hot mix..not by recent converts it is actually a very old term and not a recent one..as in hot mix form the hot box aka ron hardy.

a" true hot box" would be a small clutch of records say 25 that encompasses confidence in the sound one is representing. ohmy.gif

"I came up with the bloody term, I know what it means."

So that would have made you what James ? Eight years old, when you came up with the term ?

Social source share

• Replies 86
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

So that would have made you what James ? Eight years old, when you came up with the term ?

Well it must be a methodology rather than a description if you invented Dave :lol:ph34r.gif:wicked:

Maybe it should be updated to the IT term Hot Swap Array or just Hot Swap Box :lol:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

laugh.gif:wicked:

Social source share

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotbox Hey boys you might find this interesting :thumbsup:

I always though the term " Hot Boxer " referred to Muhammad Ali in his prime , but there you go ........

Right Pop Pickers - which one is to be / will be , your favoured interpratation of the phrase to use for this debate ? .........

Hotbox

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hotbox or hot box may refer to:

Hot box, an overheated journal box on a railroad car

The Box (torture), also called a sweatbox; a form of torture and penal punishment by imprisoning a person in an overheated room, cell or cage

Hot box (game), a half-court flying disc sport with a very small box-shaped scoring area.

Hotbox (baseball), also known as the rundown, is a running/fielding/throwing drill in baseball training

Hot Box (Band) an indie rock band from Boston, Masschusetts

A hotbox, a slang noun used to refer to a woman who is eager for sexual intercourse (from hot, slang for "sexually aroused, horny" + box, slang for "vagina")

A hotbox, a slang term for an informant; synonymous with various other such colloquialisms, such as snitch, rat, and stoolpigeon

A hotbox, a pressure washer accessory, powered by oil, gas or electricity, used to heat water before it is sprayed from the washer

Hotboxing, smoking marijuana or hashish in a small enclosed area, causing it to fill with smoke in order to maximize the effect.

Alternatively but relatedly, describes a cigarette smoker inhaling rapidly and deeply, causing the burning end of the cigarette to glow brightly

Hotboxing, a method of waxing skis, using a heated box to melt wax which is then applied to the bottoms of the skis

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I always though the term " Hot Boxer " referred to Muhammad Ali in his prime , but there you go ........

Right Pop Pickers - which one is to be / will be , your favoured interpratation of the phrase to use for this debate ? .........

Hotbox

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hotbox or hot box may refer to:

Hot box, an overheated journal box on a railroad car

The Box (torture), also called a sweatbox; a form of torture and penal punishment by imprisoning a person in an overheated room, cell or cage

Hot box (game), a half-court flying disc sport with a very small box-shaped scoring area.

Hotbox (baseball), also known as the rundown, is a running/fielding/throwing drill in baseball training

Hot Box (Band) an indie rock band from Boston, Masschusetts

A hotbox, a slang noun used to refer to a woman who is eager for sexual intercourse (from hot, slang for "sexually aroused, horny" + box, slang for "vagina")

A hotbox, a slang term for an informant; synonymous with various other such colloquialisms, such as snitch, rat, and stoolpigeon

A hotbox, a pressure washer accessory, powered by oil, gas or electricity, used to heat water before it is sprayed from the washer

Hotboxing, smoking marijuana or hashish in a small enclosed area, causing it to fill with smoke in order to maximize the effect.

Alternatively but relatedly, describes a cigarette smoker inhaling rapidly and deeply, causing the burning end of the cigarette to glow brightly

Hotboxing, a method of waxing skis, using a heated box to melt wax which is then applied to the bottoms of the skis

Malc Burton

Great minds think alike Malc :thumbsup:laugh.gif

Social source share

Great minds think alike Malc :thumbsup:laugh.gif

In order to keep this debate somewhate sane , I would like to propose that we use the " Ski " reference :lol: ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, if someone says they have a 'hot box', surely this is just another way of saying they don't have a collection? huh.gif

It would be like me going round a hot box dj's house & saying "would it be ok to look at your records, please?" & his reply would be "Yes, hang on a second I'll go & get them" as opposed to "Yes, you'll have to step this way" :thumbsup:

Just a thought.

Social source share

hot box was a term used in chicago warehouses parties 86/87 to describe a hot mix..not by recent converts it is actually a very old term and not a recent one..as in hot mix form the hot box aka ron hardy.

a" true hot box" would be a small clutch of records say 25 that encompasses confidence in the sound one is representing. :thumbsup:

Couldn't have been, cos James Trouble coined it first biggrin.gif

Edited by Stubbsy
Social source share

HOT BOX'ing..seperates the collectors from the dj's.

A collector ..............will be found in garden sheds with the latest sales list or waiting for the postie before the wife wakes up.........

nick biggrin.gif collector

Just seen your post Nick :thumbsup: spot on mate.

Or your in the toilet only to hear "Do you realise you've been in there half an hour, dear?"...."IT'S A F*****G BIG LIST, DEAR !"

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, if someone says they have a 'hot box', surely this is just another way of saying they don't have a collection? :yes:

It would be like me going round a hot box dj's house & saying "would it be ok to look at your records, please?" & his reply would be "Yes, hang on a second I'll go & get them" as opposed to "Yes, you'll have to step this way" :thumbup:

Just a thought.

But what about a hot boxer like Butch? He has a huge ever expanding collection, but he has a 'hot' DJ box and playlists that only slowly rotate. What's in his personal collection is irrelevant to everyone but himself, all that is important to the dancers in the clubs is what he chooses to put in his DJ box, if he didn't have the taste and skills to pick out and craft a fine DJ set his collection wouldn't have the impact on people's lives that it does.

So many DJs on the scene have huge collections, 1000s and 1000s of records, but they put together a load tosh when they get the chance to play out, sets that go in one ear and out the other and are quickly forgotten.

Where the records come from for a DJ is irrelevant, isn't it? All that is important, as a DJ and their impact on the crowd, is that they play the best/most exciting possible set.

And DJs are very important, in my opinion more so than collectors, because without DJs and successful clubs driven by the skills of the DJs, scenes wouldn't flourish. There would be nowhere to meet and celebrate this music, what would it all mean? We would be a group of unconnected, selfish collectors pursuing personal satisfaction instead of being a part of an important and unique culture that has a positive and enriching impact on many people's lives.

Someone like Keb, in the late 90s, early 2ks, would sell on records like hot potatoes to get in new exciting stuff. He's the best DJ I've ever heard, Deepfunk every week circa 1996-2004, but he didn't care for collecting, just the DJing. The breaking of unknown under appreciated records, educating the crowd, rocking the dance. It was obsessive and passionate, it was infectious and it was important to a lot of people that he was doing it.

As has been said, it's not a new thing. Some folk are obsessed by DJing and parties and putting together the hottest box of records to excite the dance floor, no matter where from, what the cost or how they get them. Others are more into collecting for the sake of collecting and are pleased to get the chance to share a few records from time to time. Some folk, do both. Neither approach is more or less valid, or shows more or less passion. There's as much beauty in a finely crafted 250 count DJ box and the impact it can have on people's lives as there is in a 25000+ piece collection that tells a meandering story of a persons changing tastes over a lifetime. It's just a different focus, obsession or reason for doing it.

However I would say, in my experience, that obsessive DJs do tend to make better DJs than obsessive collectors. That doesn't mean you can't be both. But, if you are playing with the rarer end of the spectrum, with today's prices and information flow over the internet, assuming limited funds and normal income, one approach does tend to get in the way of the other...

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

my  interpretation of a hotbox dj is that he or she must be a self important berk

with a very large ego :yes::no:tongue.gif

dave

That'll be most of the good DJs then :thumbup:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

But what about a hot boxer like Butch? He has a huge ever expanding collection, but he has a 'hot' DJ box and playlists that only slowly rotate.

Hi James, think we had exactly this before...however, Butch by no means is a Hot Box DJ. In fact he even dislikes the term.

To start with he is not even selling a piece (out of a so called hot box) if he hasn`t got a second copy... Butch is a leading and fabulous DJ becuase he has a box to deejay with that brings out new goodies that the so called hot box DJ`s after hearing (and watching the dance floor reaction) are hunting and trying to obtain.

He is using the pace he is using to change his playlist very sensitive in respect to give each record the time it needs and to present a new reccord when the time is right for it, beside that I say thanks god he is not rotating his playlist faster, I could name you at least three DJ`s at once that would loose control of their sense of balance (and maybe wallet) if he would rotate as fast as he could laugh.gif

However, his goodies most of the time come straight out of his huge collection at home. Not by selling/trading an outplayed item out of his dj box to finance the next (auction) biggie :)

Marc

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Guest fryer

James can you try and just make one post where you don't stick your tongue up butch's bottom or use him to justify anything you think makes your argument stick, its making us all blush.

Hotboxing was originally described as people who did not bother with a collection at home. Im sure it was liam or francis who came up with this term.

I think a more accurate hotbox example would have been Keb who did not keep hardly any records at home he did not play. He had 1 soul and 1 funk hotbox and row of albums, as far as i know butch collects all sorts so he's not really a hotboxer or he'd be selling of his ballads to buy some more hotbox acetates.

Edited by fryer
Social source share

I think a more accurate hotbox example would have been Keb who did not keep hardly any records at home he did not plays. He had 1 soul and 1 funk hotbox and row of albums ...

When we booked Keb for a soul/funk weekend overe here in Munich ten years ago he brought one of them 150 count double-row boxes with him. one row soul the other row funk 45s. and that was one hell of a hot box! Gem after gem, I almost drooled over the soul row laugh.gif

I asked him why he wasn't collecting any more and he told me after having been forced to sell two pretty decent collections over the years he couldn't been arsed any longer :)

Edited by benji
Social source share

I think a more accurate hotbox example would have been Keb who did not keep hardly any records at home he did not play. He had 1 soul and 1 funk hotbox and row of albums

Keb also had a box of rock and roll too.

Agree Butch is NOT a Hot Box DJ.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Hi James, think we had exactly this before...however, Butch by no means is a Hot Box DJ. In fact he even dislikes the term.

To start with he is not even selling a piece (out of a so called hot box) if he hasn`t got a second copy... Butch is a leading and fabulous DJ becuase he has a box to deejay with that brings out new goodies that the so called hot box DJ`s after hearing (and watching the dance floor reaction) are hunting and trying to obtain.

Not so sure about this, Marc. Tony Free's "a" true hot box" would be a small clutch of records say 25 that encompasses confidence in the sound one is representing." description would put Butch as the top hotboxer on the scene. At the first Bamberg Weekender, did you see his record box? It was a couple of mailers and a plastic bag. I don't think he had more than 40-50 records in there for a weekender where he was playng two nights in a row. That's extreme confidence in his choice that, as Dave Pinch pointed out, is bordering on arrogance and self importance. Two personality traits often, but of course not always, found in top DJs, no matter what sort of music they are playing...

Hey, I don't like being called a c***, but I am one :ohmy:

I also think you're also mistaking "hot boxing" for DJs with no imagination who just buy in demand tunes. Personally, if I have a record that another DJ is hammering and he plays in the same sort of clubs or area as me, I'll be more likely to drop it out of the playbox than to play it as well.

It's a silly and rather confused discussion anyway. The topic starter wanted to know what all the top "hot box" tunes that folk are after were, those that know what they are after will probably not want to tell, and any tunes that a lot of folk think are 'hot box' items, are probably not, as they have been hammered by DJs who picked them up before they were well known and in demand, and they are, or at least should be, moving onto new sounds while the herd chase around after the same scraps that are left...

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

I kinda agree with James on this........there have always been 'Hotbox' DJ's forever........I even knew what you might class as 'Hotbox' collectors, we had several people down here a few years back, that never DJ'd, but you look in thier little 25 count box & whoa......holy guacamole, some dream 'must have' up to the minuit tunes........but thats all they had, a lot was about the chase I think. Im on my third collection at the moment, I have sold two others over the years & I remember a few years ago laughingly saying to someone, I must be a collector now, as I have more records than will fit into my DJ box :ohmy: ........These day's, unless you are very fortunate, if you wanna have serious impact as a DJ & be a contender, raising the funds for 'new' sounds can be impossible unless you sell something else on, I do my best not to do this, but sometimes personal circumstances & lack of dosh means I have to shift the odd thing, hate doing it, but hey I need to keep my appetite for new stuff satisfied too.

Just my opinion.

Russ

Social source share

I think that might of been a "Ryanair box" , that Butch had in Bamberg ? :lol:

true, Butch always travels abroad like that....not in two weeks time for our 18th anniversary though where he will be bringing an extra box with some of his acetates with him...yummy yummy... :no::ohmy:

Social source share

That's extreme confidence in his choice

Whenever I am invited to do the Hideaway in Manchester I always only bring about 25 45`s with me...knowing I only have two 30 min spots....and I am far from being arrogant (I hope :ohmy: ).

After my the first three years Paul Welsby asked me wether I was not afraid to have not enough records with me in case someone already played stuff I was plannig to play. I had to answer it had never happened before so I was quite confident it wont happened now :lol:

Marc

Social source share

Whenever I am invited to do the Hideaway in Manchester I always only bring about 25 45`s with me...knowing I only have two 30 min spots....and I am far from being arrogant (I hope :ohmy: ).

After my the first three years Paul Welsby asked me wether I was not afraid to have not enough records with me in case someone already played stuff I was plannig to play. I had to answer it had never happened before so I was quite confident it wont happened now :lol:

Marc

Even keeping in mind that it's rather "difficult" to take a 100 count box as hand luggage when traveling abroad, taking only a 25 count box with you smells of disrespecting the punters. I'd never do that. Looks like there's a thin line between self confidence and arrogance.

Social source share

.... taking only a 25 count box with you smells of disrespecting the punters.....

You are not saying that Butch with his "ryanair" box is disrespecting the punters are you ?

Seriously though it depends very much on the discs you take with you I would say. In my case you can rest assured nobody ever had to or in fact did complain when I was at the Hideaway mate :ohmy:

Marc

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

You are not saying that Butch with his "ryanair" box is disrespecting the punters are you ?

Seriously though it depends very much on the discs you take with you I would say. In my case you can rest assured nobody ever had to or in fact did complain when I was at the Hideaway mate :ohmy:

Marc

Yes, I'd say Butch (or anyone else in this matter) taking only 25 discs with him is showing disrespect to the punters. But if one brings only a handful of records because he/she is either confident or arrogant is another thing (I don't want to indicate Butch might be the latter!).

Speaking of Butch's "ryanair" box at the first Bamberg weekender: I clearly remember he had a whole rucksack of discs with him (carried them all around the whole night) so he definitely had more than 25 records didn't he?

Social source share

Speaking of Butch's "ryanair" box at the first Bamberg weekender: I clearly remember he had a whole rucksack of discs with him (carried them all around the whole night) so he definitely had more than 25 records didn't he?

Think you are right Benji, he used to always have a bout three 25 count boxes or so with him in his rucksack, maybe less maybe more.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Nothing wrong with not taking a lot of records , i take as little as possible on purpose and knowing i won't duplicate any .

For all saints i done 7 - half hour spots over the weekend and only had 120 tunes with me and i never played any twice or duplicated anyone elses .... It takes confidence in your choices and imagination

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert