Hot Box Records

Stubbsy

On discussion on here,(see link below), of the silly price Vontastics "Never Let Your Love Grow Cold" went for on ebay, Steve G came up with the term "Hot Box record". Correct me if I'm wrong Steve, but seems to infer a record getting lots of plays which is in everyone's play box. So what are the other "Hot Box records" at present?

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/Ebay-Vo...ics-t75499.html

Social source share

• Replies 86
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

No, to truly 'Hotbox' is to own only one (250 or less) box of records, usually built solely for DJing purposes. As in "Record Collection? Nah, just got a hotbox...all I need really, does the job fine, don't want or need a collection."

To 'Hotbox' is to sell off anything you can't or won't DJ with and use the funds to buy something for your Hotbox.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

No, to truly 'Hotbox' is to own only one (250 or less) box of records, usually built solely for DJing purposes. As in "Record Collection? Nah, just got a hotbox...all I need really, does the job fine, don't want or need a collection."

To 'Hotbox' is to sell off anything you can't or won't DJ with and use the funds to buy something for your Hotbox.

Very well put ...plus a hot box record is relative to whoever's hot box it is so there isn't such a thing as a definitive list of hotbox records

Social source share

Yes, that's my interpretation too. I should also add that a Hotboxer doesn't neccessarily like the record, but thinks it'll be good to DJ with. :thumbsup:

Social source share

HOT BOX'ing..seperates the collectors from the dj's.

A collector will over years enjoy building a collection of various styles of soul on 45/lps/cds whether midtempo,ballads,stompers 6ts/7ts etc whatever suits the collectors taste.They will try and find out as much info on any artists,record labels,matrix numbers etc. A collector thinks about dancefloor and bedroom reaction but usually will be found in garden sheds with the latest sales list or waiting for the postie before the wife wakes up.

A hotboxer..has usually one box of tunes that they think is 'hot to trot'..they will sell the play from last week to buy this weeks hot hit to play. A hotboxer thinks only about dancefloor reaction.The goal to keep that box hot..and the dancers happy.

A collector/dj is the same as collector above,a lovely collection of tunes to choose from but compared to the hotboxer will usually try and resist selling anything & put the 45 back on the shelf for a few years..until hey presto sounds fresh and great again.

nick :thumbsup: collector

Edited by nick hackett
Social source share

HOT BOX'ing..seperates the collectors from the dj's.

A collector will over years enjoy building a collection of various styles of soul on 45/lps/cds whether midtempo,ballads,stompers 6ts/7ts etc whatever suits the collectors taste.They will try and find out as much info on any artists,record labels,matrix numbers etc. A collector thinks about dancefloor and bedroom reaction.

A hotboxer..has usually one box of tunes that they think is 'hot to trot'..they will sell the play from last week to buy this weeks hot hit to play. A hotboxer thinks only about dancefloor reaction.

And Nick should know..he is a fireman after all..lol

Social source share

good examples of that are NS DJ's packing Ellipses or the UBP project 12 :thumbsup:

Yeah and they can be oldies too.....

More hot box items Joseph Webster, Corey Blake, Lee Fields, Detroit Soul "All of my life", Holly St James, Del Larks, Mel Britt, Salvadores....the list is endless

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I should also add that a Hotboxer doesn't neccessarily like the record, but thinks it'll be good to DJ with. :thumbsup:

I can't say i agree with this. If i was hotboxing i'd never play anything i didn't like, otherwise how can you empathise with the dancefloor? Plus it's the likes and dislikes that make every hotbox and every set different. If everyone played what was hot but not what they liked everyone's hotbox would be the same.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I should also add that a Hotboxer doesn't neccessarily like the record, but thinks it'll be good to DJ with. :thumbsup:

i'd disagree strongly with that

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Yeah and they can be oldies too.....

More hot box items Joseph Webster, Corey Blake, Lee Fields, Detroit Soul "All of my life", Holly St James, Del Larks, Mel Britt, Salvadores....the list is endless

No they are not.

I came up with the bloody term, I know what it means.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Yes, that's my interpretation too. I should also add that a Hotboxer doesn't neccessarily like the record, but thinks it'll be good to DJ with. :thumbsup:

Not at all.

Let's not have this wank discussion again.

Hot boxing is selling a tired record to get in something more exciting. It's the result of a DJs desire to excite the dance floor over riding his selfish indulgence to own artifacts when he doesn't have unlimited funds to spend...

Social source share

Whereas a "cool box" is where you keep your stella artios ,in order to keep it nice and cold :thumbsup:

Great description Jason and spot on mate :huh:

Perfect example would be Shep's collection ,a mere 75 box, but oh what a box it is :thumbup:

Social source share

Hot boxing is selling a tired record to get in something more exciting. It's the result of a DJs desire to excite the dance floor over riding his selfish indulgence to own artifacts when he doesn't have unlimited funds to spend...

I agree - constant turnover as opposed to collection.

Social source share

No they are not.

I came up with the bloody term, I know what it means.

Ah! That's what Dave Godin said about 'Northern Soul'... and look how that got misinterpreted!

And Rod Dearlove's 'Crossover Soul' - most people haven't got a clue about that description.

So, I reckon 'Hot Boxers' are open to interpretation.

Here's mine!

:thumbsup:

post-4120-1214581075_thumb.jpg

Social source share

To be honest, although James came up with the term... the approach is nothing new.

As a collector, I found DJ'ing to be a great way to 'express' my collection, but was surprised to find (back in the 70's and 80's) that most DJ's didn't have a collection at all.

I remember Pat Brady telling me, back in 82, that he thought it was impossible to be 'both' a collector 'these days' and a DJ and that it was essential for one to keep selling and turning over the tunes to finance new material.

Steve G is one of the few (sure, I know there are others) that would be a 'true collector' and yet he is also able to finance, discover and acquire new material for DeeJaying, whilst being able to fall back upon a huge catalogue of 45's, from his own collection.

At the end of the day, you can only play one record at a time, so I guess it doesn't matter too much what's in the basement!

In my case... a soggy mess!

Sean

Social source share

Don't wind him up Sean. He'll zapp you with his sonic screwdriver :thumbup::huh:

Sounds painful!

:(

I've never met James (to my knowledge) but I do admire his enthusiasm.

If he puts as much into his DeeJaying as he does into some of his posts on here, I reckon he'd be pretty formidable... with or without sonic screwdriver!

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Still not sorted out your insurance claim Sean. That's disgraceful if it's taken this long....I am serious man!

Nearly there Steve.

It's been a year, this week!

Had builders and decorators in for 8 months. Nightmare!

Records in every room... still!

Can find bugger all.

Need to do a full house search tonight to pull together a spot for Brid... tomorrow night!

Sean

Social source share

Not at all.

Let's not have this wank discussion again.

It's true ohmy.gif . It may be very occassional but it happens. They are the reverse of DJ's who play only for themselves but play for the dancers in order to appear like a fantastic DJ who can read the floor. Possibly a LCD DJ :lol:

Social source share

Sounds painful!

:lol:

I've never met James (to my knowledge) but I do admire his enthusiasm.

If he puts as much into his DeeJaying as he does into some of his posts on here, I reckon he'd be pretty formidable... with or without sonic screwdriver!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Oh yes he is a good egg.

Social source share

Has anyone got a "simmering box" one full of tunes waiting to be played or discovered by others?

The Man In Black

'Simmering' yes thanks 'white hot' infact but sadly the three or four boxes get more use upstairs than out and about at the gigs still that's my choice as the self elected 'A' listers in some areas think they know best so leave em' to it....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Hot boxing is watching what Ian Wright and Butch buy and then posting it up on here as a want and offering stupid money for it.

Trent Sisters, Buddy Cantrell, Willie Johnson.

its a joke.

Don't be a fool.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

didn't take long to get a reation from you.

Aye, that you did, now bore off back to the funk forum...

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

hot box was a term used in chicago warehouses parties 86/87 to describe a hot mix..not by recent converts it is actually a very old term and not a recent one..as in hot mix form the hot box aka ron hardy.

a" true hot box" would be a small clutch of records say 25 that encompasses confidence in the sound one is representing. ohmy.gif

Social source share

Hot boxing is watching what Ian Wright and Butch buy

Trent Sisters, Buddy Cantrell, Willie Johnson.

Hey, got two of them and I am sure more a collector than a "hot box" DJ...

Must admit although I can see why (especially with todays prices) people would rather have one small "hot" box of tunes instead of a collection but somehow it seems to me that some of these hot box DJ`s can`t be really deeply in love with the music. There are hundreds not to say thousands of records in my collection I wouldn`t dream to take with me to deejay with these days and yet still I couldn`t sell most of them ´cause I would miss them too much. No, I don`t play CD at home...

Still from time to time I have to sell the odd item to finance a new buy but that is only when my monthly cheuque takes too long :lol::wicked:

Two of my fave DJ`s have an extensive collection and are far from being "Hot Box" DJ´s...those two are responsible for the most "new" sounds (since years) which in return all Hot Boxers are chasing later on.

Must have something to do with their way of collecting me thinks..... :lol:ph34r.gif

Marc

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert