Northern Tunes In Strange Places

Guest CliftonHall1

Guest CliftonHall1

In a new Pub enjoying a Pint nattering to her in doors when low and behold mixed into the piped background music came out the Valentines "Breakaway".

Mixed in between other MOR fodder Abba, George Benson etc i thought this was the programmer digging a bit too deep! Ok Jackie Wilson, Erma Franklin but Valentines? a wonderful tune in its own right, but certainly obscure!!

Set me thinking of other instances i could recall of Obscure Northern in places where you wouldnt least expect.

So here's two more to get you started.

Valentino's "Sweeter than the day before" in a "Shells" Brandenton, Florida. (OK a minor USA hit in the 60's but.....)

Terry Callier "Look at me Now" on a Cruise ship in Bahamas.

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest moggy

I was in Thai Restaurant a couple of months ago

and heard Tyrone Barkley : Man of Value

Asked them who"s was the tape,CD etc, couldn"t understand a word I was saying, just grinned and nodded there heads !

:lol: Fook all new there then

Social source share

Guest CliftonHall1

I was in Thai Restaurant a couple of months ago

and heard Tyrone Barkley : Man of Value

Asked them who"s was the tape,CD etc, couldn"t understand a word I was saying, just grinned and nodded there heads !

:) Fook all new there then

superb taste! (ptp) Obviously run by old Clifton Hall regulars, were they CHEWING and nodding :unsure:

Social source share

in about 1979 in the old romania, at a beach hut type bar on the juke box was "and get away" by the esquires

on a free cd from an indie music magazine mojo ? inbetween depressing guitar led things appears mary love you turned my bitter into sweet

when very pissed etc went to a bikers hells angel type party at a barn in duffield near derby about 25 years ago, after a while i noticed that the music being played had gone from rock stuff unknown to my ears to roscoe robinson, soul sisters, homer banks, i then went round all the people at the party asking who was into soul, cant remember though if i got a reply

Social source share

Sat in a backstreet pub in Scarborough about 2 years ago on a dull Sunday afternoon (you know the one -the Sunday when everybody looks like they're regrettin' the excesses of Saturday night!)

Anyway El Jukebox decides to lob out it's random play................................Whoa Williams & Watson Too Late!!!

Move them chairs quick - woke the place up a bit & the locals found a new dance style to practice!!!

Paul

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert