Mabel John - Actions Speaks Louder Than Words c/w Take Me - Tamla - £147

Frankie and Johnny - I'll Hold You - Decca promo - £459

Metros - Since I Found My Bay c/w No Baby - Rca - £107

Entertainers - I Can't Do Enough c/w We Don't Need No Music - Amber - £125

Trent Sisters - A Letter A Day - Gogate promo - £2,445

Aura - Follow Me (with your heart) - B.E.P- £264

Terry Callier - Look At Me Now - Cadet promo - £309

Natural Impulse - She Went Away - Natural Impulse - £2,351

Natural Impulse might be rare as hell, but IMHO, it is just an ordinary piece of 70's soul, where is the 'magic'? Don't see the appeal, especially for that price!, But hey, I can't afford such luxuries anyway.

Edited by jim g
Social source share

• Replies 50
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Here you folks, let the dicussion begin! biggrin.gif

I have highlighted the two big ticket items

Otis Smith - Let Her Go - Perception promo - £250

Johnny Robinson - Gone But Not Forgotten - Okeh promo - £298

Betty Turner - The Winds Kept Laughing - Crescent - £419

Larry Davis - I've Been Hurt So Many Times - Kent promo - £282

Elgins - Heaven Must Have Sent You : Tamla Motown TMG583 - £153

Peoples Choice - Destruction c/w Off Spring - Wood City - £187

Sam Williams - This I Know - Bell Sound Acetate - £361

Natural Impulse might be rare as hell, but IMHO, it is just an ordinary piece of 70's soul, where is the 'magic'? Don't see the appeal, especially for that price!, But hey, I can't afford such luxuries anyway.

:thumbup: totaly agree on that,johnny robinson a fare price & betty turner the trent sisters was cheap to say it's so rare

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

that trent sisters thing might be rare but it don't appeal to my taste whatsoever :thumbup: still everybody to their own eh wink.gif

I agree John, i've never been a fan either. I can think of a fair few i'd rather spend £2.4k on.

As for Go-gate, hey i'd love to own one... then i'd flog it immediatedly.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

A fella lost his job over that U.K. copy of the Frankie & Johnny. 99.9% sure that was the copy I owned years ago with the tiny sticker tears at the top of the label.

One morning I got a call from Ray at Beanos in Croydon (when they were in the old shop) to say they had just got some nice soul stuff in. I turned up there just as Ray was walking back into the shop. He'd left the new employee in charge of the counter, & had asked him to take the little stickers off the Frankie & Johnny label. Ray meant with lighter fluid, but matey dug his finger nail in & ripped em off. Ouch, sacked.

Social source share

personally think the Trent Sisters is an ok record, nowt special apart from the fact it's ultra rare. It wouldn't get a mention or a look in if it was £25 and not £2.5k. Far better records for £25 IMHO.

There was a debate some time ago on here about it. Sure a mod can dig it up.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

personally think the Trent Sisters is an ok record, nowt special apart from the fact it's ultra rare. It wouldn't get a mention or a look in if it was £25 and not £2.5k. Far better records for £25 IMHO.

There was a debate some time ago on here about it. Sure a mod can dig it up.

Go on then. Give us a better record in that style for £25. Are you sure if it was £25 and spun at Stafford twice you wouldn't be all over it? wink.gif:thumbup:

I think it's an awesome record. Second best in that style for me, Rnb/Funk/Soul crossover. If you don't like Rnb or funk, I guess it's hard to appreciate it.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Go on then. Give us a better record in that style for £25. Are you sure if it was £25 and spun at Stafford twice you wouldn't be all over it? :yes:ph34r.gif

I think it's an awesome record. Second best in that style for me, Rnb/Funk/Soul crossover. If you don't like Rnb or funk, I guess it's hard to appreciate it.

Fed up sticking up for you on here so over for some sparring. :wicked:

Get onto the 60's thread and you will hear about 200 records better than it for £25, its a reasonably exciting dancer on first or second listen but closer examination reveals a pretty awful singer, which isnt always a problem for Northern IMO, but it just becomes boring very quickly, and it was spun at Stafford was it not? Whenever it was opinion then was it was a fairly forgettable record and not much changed.

R&B was all made in the 50's and Funk in the 70's weren't they so can't be either. :thumbup:

Social source share

Go on then. Give us a better record in that style for £25. Are you sure if it was £25 and spun at Stafford twice you wouldn't be all over it? wink.gif:thumbup:

it was played at Stafford. I said better records for 25 quid, never mentioned style. Benny Latimore a better record for me as is Jimmy Holiday, there's others that are better records IMHO but I can't be arsed right now. Like John says each to their own :yes:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Fed up sticking up for you on here so over for some sparring. :P

Get onto the 60's thread and you will hear about 200 records better than it for £25, its a reasonably exciting dancer on first or second listen but closer examination reveals a pretty awful singer, which isnt always a problem for Northern IMO, but it just becomes boring very quickly, and it was spun at Stafford was it not? Whenever it was opinion then was it was a fairly forgettable record and not much changed.

R&B was all made in the 50's and Funk in the 70's weren't they so can't be either. whistling.gif

The price is irrelevant though, innit. I think it's the second best record in that style, behind Little John, and only just ahead of Gambler's Blues by Nancy Wilcox. Very unique, experimental records, with twisted beats and dark and nasty undertones. So whoever got it, well, they must have good taste wink.gif:lol:

And I disagree, it's not much of a dancer, it's right hard to get your feet around. But as piece of music, it stands out as something quite special and very unique.

The mind boggles about the mysterious missing Gogate number 3 which I've been told there are records of, but no one has seen the vinyl...

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Fed up sticking up for you on here so over for some sparring. :lol:

R&B was all made in the 50's and Funk in the 70's weren't they so can't be either. whistling.gif

biggrin.gif and there endeth the lesson!

Social source share

Fed up sticking up for you on here so over for some sparring. :lol:

deffo played at stafford cos i got it on one of keb or guys tapes from the 80s

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

The best part of the record (and Little John) is the label laugh.gif

Great label, kind of funny :lol:

Is there a rarer label, with releases on vinyl? Three releases. One has never been seen. And the two other releases on the label probably total only 6 or 7 copies between them.

Would be fascinating to find about the history of it...

Social source share

Guest moggy

Natural Impulse was a bargain at that price. I was offered 6k for my copy and turned it down. Maybe the bottom has fallen out of......very rare 70s :lol:

Bloody hell Steve, :thumbup: 6k and you turned it down :yes:

Was it, has it, ever been worth that much, I really do not know Steve, just sounds an incredible amount for such a record.

:D

Social source share

Bloody hell Steve, :lol: 6k and you turned it down :thumbup:

Was it, has it, ever been worth that much, I really do not know Steve, just sounds an incredible amount for such a record.

:yes:

We sold a copy privately 4 years ago to a collector in OZ for £6,000.

also sold a VG copy last year for a similar amount, to what MINT - copy reached on auction last night. We think the winner got a real bargain.

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Great label, kind of funny :lol:

Is there a rarer label, with releases on vinyl? Three releases. One has never been seen. And the two other releases on the label probably total only 6 or 7 copies between them.

Would be fascinating to find about the history of it...

as for 6 or 7 release betwen them?

I've found Little John on 3 different occasions in the Bay Area over the years, I think if you ask Keb we found 2 on the same day at the "black mans" house in the hills we visted.

And the Trent Sisters there are at least 3..although this copy was our first. i think you'll find there's one or two more of Little John as i'm not the only person to have found copies.

Puzzled.. why is there a third release on Gogate? What makes you think there is..?

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

as for 6 or 7 release betwen them?

I've found Little John on 3 different occasions in the Bay Area over the years, I think if you ask Keb we found 2 on the same day at the "black mans" house in the hills we visted.

And the Trent Sisters there are at least 3..although this copy was our first. i think you'll find there's one or two more of Little John as i'm not the only person to have found copies.

Puzzled.. why is there a third release on Gogate? What makes you think there is..?

Well that's 8 or 9 then :lol: Still, is there are rarer label with multiple releases?

You told me about the third Gogate release. You'd seen the release notes? Wasn't it Little John as well? Why are you puzzled, Big John?

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Well that's 8 or 9 then :lol: Still, is there are rarer label with multiple releases?

You told me about the third Gogate release. You'd seen the release notes? Wasn't it Little John as well? Why are you puzzled, Big John?

You know, your damn right, young man. I did, we saw a release sheet for Gogate on that trip with Keb at old man's house on the hill, he had a record shop in the 60s down in the Haight Street area, i think we brought the press sheet back with the 45s. It was little John and I had completely forgot.. don't know what happen to the sheet but yes I remember now, it was a letter head with 3 releases listed on it.

Gogate # 3 was credited to Little John..I wonder if it ever got pressed? can't for the life of me, remember the titles.

i'm losing it, time to retire...

Social source share

Guest Modern Skip Tone

Here you folks, let the dicussion begin! :lol:

[/quote]You are correct it is rare and the appeal factor is - represented by it,s "ownership status" both by dee jays and very serious collectors alike. Extremely hard to find and very highly sought 45, that contains some magic IMHO. But who am I, Ive only being tailing a copy since 1988/89..........But hey, I too cannot afford such luxuries anyway well out of my reach.

Intresting comment by Chris - Clarence Mann on vocals....yes/no anyone.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

You know, your damn right, young man. I did, we saw a release sheet for Gogate on that trip with Keb at old man's house on the hill, he had a record shop in the 60s down in the Haight Street area, i think we brought the press sheet back with the 45s. It was little John and I had completely forgot.. don't know what happen to the sheet but yes I remember now, it was a letter head with 3 releases listed on it.

Gogate # 3 was credited to Little John..I wonder if it ever got pressed? can't for the life of me, remember the titles.

Hey, Big John. I really want to find out more about the mysterious Gogate. When I ring you to pay for it I'll get all the info you know about it out of you. I actually fancy doing a legal release of it, which is unusual for me, but without the band members, producers etc giving their stories I wouldn't want to. I'm normally really selfish with rare records. But I think it's such a special, even romantic, label. The dream of "If it's not a hit...", such confidence in those experimental sounds that even now, amongst soul connoisseurs, they get dismissed because they are so experimental, even for 2008, 45 years after they were made. I can't imagine it being a boring story behind it, the production, the musicianship, it's so unique. Did they ever produce anything else, who were the band? They were too good to not have recorded elsewhere. But the sound is so unlike anything else, I'm sure I would recognise the playing on another record...

The mind boggles.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

You are correct it is rare and the appeal factor is - represented by it,s "ownership status" both by dee jays and very serious collectors alike. Extremely hard to find and very highly sought 45, that contains some magic IMHO. But who am I, Ive only being tailing a copy since 1988/89..........But hey, I too cannot afford such luxuries anyway well out of my reach.

Intresting comment by Chris - Clarence Mann on vocals....yes/no anyone.

I don't think it is Clarence Mann on vocals. Probably one of those urban myths but don't know 100%. Christian in Norway did track the band down some years back but was only able to get an acetate (with some unreleased stuff on it too). B side is of course a pretty good funk track as well. As for it being ordinary Jim G - N.F.W. It's a magical piece of 70's.

Social source share

I don't think it is Clarence Mann on vocals. Probably one of those urban myths but don't know 100%. Christian in Norway did track the band down some years back but was only able to get an acetate (with some unreleased stuff on it too). B side is of course a pretty good funk track as well. As for it being ordinary Jim G - N.F.W. It's a magical piece of 70's.

The whole band and all their friends and drinking partners and children have been tracked, even the studio owner (he's apparently fed up with being asked about the 45) has also been found

They are a mixed race group who still gig, one's a policeman, etc. etc. Lady Bianca was behind the recording.

That's why I thought the winner got real great purchase. They only ever made 200 they vanished into thin air long ago.

My girlfriend actually found that copy on sale, it had the phone # contact still on the sleeve with all the group details etc. And nobody's got a copy. and certainly Clarence Mann was not the lead.

We were expecting (hoping) maybe double what is sold for, but it only cost a $1 so we can't complain, but I did buy my lady a hamburger for finding it.

Edited by john manship
Social source share

The whole band and all their friends and drinking partners and children have been tracked, even the studio owner (he's apparently fed up with being asked about the 45) has also been found

They are a mixed race group who still gig, one's a policeman, etc. etc. Lady Bianca was behind the recording.

That's why I thought the winner got real great purchase. They only ever made 200 they vanished into thin air long ago.

My girlfriend actually found that copy on sale, it had the phone # contact still on the sleeve with all the group details etc. And nobody's got a copy. and certainly Clarence Mann was not the lead.

We were expecting (hoping) maybe double what is sold for, but it only cost a $1 so we can't complain, but I did buy my lady a hamburger for finding it.

Thanks for clearing that up...Lady Bianca did her fair share of good stuff as well.

A Hamburger? Big Mac for that surely?

Social source share

Trust that was with cheese John? and onions....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

They only ever made 200 they vanished into thin air long ago.

Some of them are now going under the monkier The Latin Soul Project or GTS? https://www.latinsoulproject.com/index.html

I'd looked into this a few years ago around the same time a guy from the West Coast tracked them down - think he said he went to see them play one night. Pretty sure he got a record or some tapes

Social source share

Guest Modern Skip Tone

We were (hoping) maybe double what is sold for, but it only cost a $1 so we can't complain, but I did buy my lady a hamburger for finding it.

Natural Impulse - This record demands respect, acknowledgement and money. It offers it's lucky owners the ideal opportunity to show others the shop window. :unsure:

Thanks for the interesting reply's John and Steve which leads me onto my next question. Currently up for auction with 13 days to go is a 45 by The New Designers - We Wont Know Unless We Try (parts one and two) on Dynamo. I keep banging on the sound file button and do agree is what we have here is a undocumented soul winner from 1975. Are The New Designers also a mixed race band. Others on here will love this or hate it ,when first heard IMHO, and of course first played of an acetate by Steve G.......nice. Thanks Nick.

Social source share

Natural Impulse - This record demands respect, acknowledgement and money. It offers it's lucky owners the ideal opportunity to show others the shop window. :unsure:

Thanks for the interesting reply's John and Steve which leads me onto my next question. Currently up for auction with 13 days to go is a 45 by The New Designers - We Wont Know Unless We Try (parts one and two) on Dynamo. I keep banging on the sound file button and do agree is what we have here is a undocumented soul winner from 1975. Are The New Designers also a mixed race band. Others on here will love this or hate it ,when first heard IMHO, and of course first played of an acetate by Steve G.......nice. Thanks Nick.

Dunno Nick, it was mixed by Tom Moulton and that;;s where the acetate originally came from, that's all I know.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Guest jinx74

Some of them are now going under the monkier The Latin Soul Project or GTS? https://www.latinsoulproject.com/index.html

I'd looked into this a few years ago around the same time a guy from the West Coast tracked them down - think he said he went to see them play one night. Pretty sure he got a record or some tapes

the engineer has the master reel and it sounded good when i heard it. i wish i could remember all the band members names but i cant. i have it written down somewhere. i feel like the singers last name was Odin or something like that. not helpful at all i realize. real nice guys though and while they played in Natural Impulse some also were in the band Winter that has a 45 and LP that you all are aware of.

Social source share

the engineer has the master reel and it sounded good when i heard it. i wish i could remember all the band members names but i cant. i have it written down somewhere. i feel like the singers last name was Odin or something like that. not helpful at all i realize. real nice guys though and while they played in Natural Impulse some also were in the band Winter that has a 45 and LP that you all are aware of.

Justin, do you know what the connection is to McFunks on Raw, if any? I think there's the same producer on both?

Social source share

Guest Modern Skip Tone

Dunno Nick, it was mixed by Tom Moulton and that;;s where the acetate originally came from, that's all I know.

Thanks for that Steve......your honesty is surley worth 2 x big "yankie styled" burgers :wave: and for a third burger of your choice, is the Tom Moulton mix the same as John's current seller!!!!!! Or was Vince Montana in town recently mixing it up. :lol: . Thanks Swiftnick.

Social source share

Don't say the memory bank is now completely filled? You need a new hard-drive LOL..... :wave:

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Guest jinx74

Justin, do you know what the connection is to McFunks on Raw, if any? I think there's the same producer on both?

just saw an image of mcfunk. thats stubblefield and stubblebine did the NI. i think it was produced by bianca but recorded by stubblebine up in santa rosa at a recording studio. if i remember correctly the studio was in a barn way out in the cow section of SR.

Social source share

Here you folks, let the dicussion begin! :huh:

Otis Smith - Let Her Go - Perception promo - £250

Johnny Robinson - Gone But Not Forgotten - Okeh promo - £298

Betty Turner - The Winds Kept Laughing - Crescent - £419

Larry Davis - I've Been Hurt So Many Times - Kent promo - £282

Elgins - Heaven Must Have Sent You : Tamla Motown TMG583 - £153

Peoples Choice - Destruction c/w Off Spring - Wood City - £187

Sam Williams - This I Know - Bell Sound Acetate - £361

SOLD MY NATURAL IMPULSE FOR £6000.00

SOMEONE GOT A BARGAIN :thumbsup: OOOPS DIDNT READ REST OF THE THREADS THANKS MR MANSHIP YOUR THE KING :thumbup:

Edited by Flanny
Social source share

SOLD MY NATURAL IMPULSE FOR £6000.00

SOMEONE GOT A BARGAIN :thumbsup: OOOPS DIDNT READ REST OF THE THREADS THANKS MR MANSHIP YOUR THE KING :thumbup:

U got offered 6k too?

So unless it was the same person, that was the price 12 months ago. Jees we are in a recession then Flanny :huh:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert