Start Of The Big Money Rarities

Wasn't the Fuller brothers a southern discovery :thumbsup: I always thought Dave Rivers brought it up to the Torch.

On a personal note, my earliest big purchase(although small in comparison) was a Shane Martin on US Epic at Wigan when it was just going big. I Paid £6. The same night a UK Demo went for £12.

Paul

Social source share

• Replies 67
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Wasn't the Fuller brothers a southern discovery :thumbsup: I always thought Dave Rivers brought it up to the Torch.

On a personal note, my earliest big purchase(although small in comparison) was a Shane Martin on US Epic at Wigan when it was just going big. I Paid £6. The same night a UK Demo went for £12.

Paul

Probably from me, I had half a dozen Shane Ms and didn't know my prices, I was very popular. I think The Fuller Bros was the 2nd copy that Dave Burton took up to the Torch from Soho, I think the first was already up North but don't quote me.

Social source share

Hi Rob

glad to hear my AP is still safe with you :( - fortunately got another one now!!! Paid £1 12s 6d for it.

Tams never fetched alot of money on ABC ( we all had it on HMV) and stuff like Tami Lynn black atlantic was 17s 6d Los Canarios 10s Sapphires £3 etc etc. Remember buying an english collection of a guy called Des Harris from Huddersfield for aroud £160 - it had all Major Lance's Columbia demos, All Capitol 66 demos, looking for you demo etc. Think you got the remnants of that lot as well Mr Wigley angry.gif

Julian (skint from buying back what I once had :yes: )

Julian

I've still got most of your Blues and Soul mags as well :no:

Can you believe thats 20 years ago when I bought them......... :P

"Who is that bloody train driver" is i think what you said mate :lol:

But they went to a good home !

Rob

Ps "On Topic" Chris Marriott paid £100 for magnetics "Lady in green" off Sam at the Palais around 1979/1980 ish-- a weeks wage then ?

Social source share

Guest mel brat

QUOTE (Eddie Hubbard @ Jun 25 08, 07:00 PM)

Wasn't Cigarette ashes - Jimmy Conwell one of the first big money records ? Sure I read in Dave Godin's column in B& S that someone , think it was Keith Minshull had paid around £80 for it , though that does sound a lot of money for the time [ early 70's ? ] Best ,Eddie

Yep, I concurr with that Eddie.

"Cigarette Ashes" was the first mega-sum record and £80 was the rumoured price. Didn't it come out on Jay-Boy a few weeks later?

Ian D

...I read somewhere several years later that the price paid had been widely misquoted as £80 when it was actually "only" £8 - and as Eddie rightly says, £80 in 1971 would have been an astronomical amount to pay for any record!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

It better be 'cos it was too short to bonk to! :wicked:

Unless you're a 2 minute wonder that is....... ph34r.gif

Ian D :lol:

Can get it down to 2 minutes... with a little practice! :lol:

Social source share

QUOTE (Eddie Hubbard @ Jun 25 08, 07:00 PM)

Wasn't Cigarette ashes - Jimmy Conwell one of the first big money records ? Sure I read in Dave Godin's column in B& S that someone , think it was Keith Minshull had paid around £80 for it , though that does sound a lot of money for the time [ early 70's ? ] Best ,Eddie

Yep, I concurr with that Eddie.

"Cigarette Ashes" was the first mega-sum record and £80 was the rumoured price. Didn't it come out on Jay-Boy a few weeks later?

Ian D

...I read somewhere several years later that the price paid had been widely misquoted as £80 when it was actually "only" £8 - and as Eddie rightly says, £80 in 1971 would have been an astronomical amount to pay for any record!

In respect of this debate we are having regarding " CA " . has anyone considered to ask - and more to the point - clarify / confirm - with Minsh , if he was the said culprit , and if so , the actual price he paid ? .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest mel brat

In respect of this debate we are having regarding " CA " . has anyone considered to ask - and more to the point - clarify / confirm - with Minsh , if he was the said culprit , and if so , the actual price he paid ? .........

Malc Burton

Er, nah! - far too easy. Where's the fun in that? laugh.gif

Social source share

Er, nah! - far too easy. Where's the fun in that? laugh.gif

After I posted my earlier reply , I had second thoughts ........

Attempting to get a clear und understandable answer from Minsh , would come in a close second as one from Keb Darge ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Malc Burton

Well, interestingly enough I have seen one or two posts on here in the past week from Keith. So if you're out there Keith, come on mate ,fill in some 'gaps' for us please wink.gif

Social source share

Well, interestingly enough I have seen one or two posts on here in the past week from Keith. So if you're out there Keith, come on mate ,fill in some 'gaps' for us please wink.gif

What name does Minsh post under ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

Does anyone on here know who played Eddie Parker on Ashford first , and Popcorn Wylie - Rosemary .I know they were massive at Wigan , and that Eddie Parker was a Torch side , but who started them off , and were they mega bucks at the time ? Cheers ,Eddie

I paid £15 at the Torch for said love you baby. Sold it on to a club dj for £20 about a month later unfortunately it came thru on import 2 weeks later :lol: and I didn't know---honest guv. seriously I had no idea even though usually at that time you sort of knew what was coming thru a week or two before it happened. Not in this case :lol: . I think Minnie played it but at the time there were not many around when I bought it --pretty sure on that. Anyway the club dj thought I was a right b***ard at the time. It was his fave sound and he had bent my ear to get this. Alls well that ends well though-- he agreed to dj at my wedding :lol:

Social source share

Julian

I've still got most of your Blues and Soul mags as well :lol:

Can you believe thats 20 years ago when I bought them......... :lol:

"Who is that bloody train driver" is i think what you said mate :lol:

But they went to a good home !

Rob

Ps "On Topic" Chris Marriott paid £100 for magnetics "Lady in green" off Sam at the Palais around 1979/1980 ish-- a weeks wage then ?

Hi Rob

shouldn't have listened to Mrs B to get rid of them 'cause none of our friends want to hear them at our parties'!!!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert