Start Of The Big Money Rarities

This is related to another thread and a thought offered by another member on the subject of Leon Haywood---Baby Reconsider. I seem to remember it around 1970 (give or take a bit) that it was a £25+ sound.

Also just after wasn't Queen of Fools--barbara Mills a £20 sound ?

Come on chaps what can you remember? What were your memories of what were the 'big hitters' back in the day.

Fuller bros---times a wasting, what did that go for after its first play?

Eddie Parker---Love you baby--£15er ?

What was the first £50 sound?

Edited by jez jones
Social source share

• Replies 67
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Once heard a rumour that a top Northern Soul DJ of his time offered his car in exchange for a copy of “At The Discotheque” by Chubby Checker! Is it true? Who was the DJ? Was the car roadworthy? cool.gif

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Once heard a rumour that a top Northern Soul DJ of his time offered his car in exchange for a copy of "At The Discotheque" by Chubby Checker! Is it true? Who was the DJ? Was the car roadworthy? cool.gif

Not a rumour just a different tune Gene,paid £15 for a LP in Derby swapped it same night for Pergeo 309 diezel (spellin'?) tax,tested had it for about eight months.

Social source share

'Retired' before the £50 45 was around!!

Best I did was £42 for the Dalton Boys to Keith Minshull + £39 for Jimmy Thomas Beautiful Night to the same buyer.

Julian

Yes yes Dalton Boys--I've been cheated :thumbsup: Nice one mate. Maybe goes under the category of underplayed nowadays? Top tune I remember and very rare at the time. Jimmy Thomas, was that on the green and white parlophone demo perchance? :ohmy: Very nice and collectable at the time! Shame his other outing at the time 'where there's a will' didn't reach those dizzy heights---or did it?

Social source share

The most famous of my time (75 TPD), was 7 Day lover that went for about £250 or 10 times my first wage. Obviously it went down to £1 soon after.

On theother hand in the early 80s upon the first price crash, the prices were stupid low with collections pasing hands for peanuts. I wish I had the foresight to have bought them up.

Nothing can compare to the last 5 years though in terms of price rises, just like house prices. I wonder when the crash will start.

Ed

Social source share

Best I did was £42 for the Dalton Boys to Keith Minshull + £39 for Jimmy Thomas Beautiful Night to the same buyer.

Julian

[/quote

Just thought another of that time that was a strong £20+ ----Lenis Guess

Social source share

The most famous of my time (75 TPD), was 7 Day lover that went for about £250 or 10 times my first wage. Obviously it went down to £1 soon after.

On theother hand in the early 80s upon the first price crash, the prices were stupid low with collections pasing hands for peanuts. I wish I had the foresight to have bought them up.

Nothing can compare to the last 5 years though in terms of price rises, just like house prices. I wonder when the crash will start.

Ed

I remember listening to Richard Searling when he used to broadcast on a Sunday morn on Jazz Fm. He was telling a tale about this guy who in the early eighties kept pestering him to sell Don Gardener Cheatin Kind. Richard thought the bottom had fallen out of the rare soul scene so after a while he gave in to the guy. The price..............£85. Now thats gotta hurt!!!

Social source share

Ed

I remember listening to Richard Searling when he used to broadcast on a Sunday morn on Jazz Fm. He was telling a tale about this guy who in the early eighties kept pestering him to sell Don Gardener Cheatin Kind. Richard thought the bottom had fallen out of the rare soul scene so after a while he gave in to the guy. The price..............£85. Now thats gotta hurt!!!

Social source share

When I started collecting in 1968, jaws were dropping at the news that someone had paid £11 for Tony Clarke's "The entertainer". A year or so later, "You're ready now" was the first record I knew of to break the £20 mark (that was a week's wages back then).

Nick

Social source share

Julian

I sold Offenbach Judy in disguise to Alan Day way back then for £3...the fact I got it off a market in St Neots for 5p and I only earnt £6 per week I'm sure is irrelevant :thumbsup:

Social source share

When I started collecting in 1968, jaws were dropping at the news that someone had paid £11 for Tony Clarke's "The entertainer". A year or so later, "You're ready now" was the first record I knew of to break the £20 mark (that was a week's wages back then).

Nick

Yes Nick quite a 'hefty sum ' for 1968 :ohmy: Mate of mine told me years and years ago that he reckoned he paid £5 and ten shillings!!!!! for Lee Dorsey --Ride your Pony from the Wheel in 1967 :thumbsup:

Social source share

Don gardner changed hands for £3 at one time, think it was either john manship who sold it to ian levine or the other way round :thumbsup:

Social source share

Wasn't Cigarette ashes - Jimmy Conwell one of the first big money records ? Sure I read in Dave Godin's column in B& S that someone , think it was Keith Minshull had paid around £80 for it , though that does sound a lot of money for the time [ early 70's ? ] Best ,Eddie

Yes Eddie,

Yes again I recollect that one. I had £100 pounds in my mind but am probably wrong wink.gif . Possibly was Minnie (bit of a mover and shaker back then wasn't he). however didn't it come out on Jayboy after a few months for all and sundry to own.

Anyone out there enlighten us. :thumbup:

Social source share

Nick

:thumbup: I wish I'd found them punters I was getting about £1.50 for them at the Wheel or on my record lists,Idid get£40 for Moses Smith of Colin Curtis in 1972,I use to lend it to him along with other tunes and a bidding war started between Colin and Ian for it.I think the nearest I got to that was £15 each for Jerry Cook and Robert Banks 1n 1970.

Mind I was always roo cheap

Regards Brian Phillips

Social source share

:yes: I wish I'd found them punters I was getting about £1.50 for them at the Wheel or on my record lists,Idid get£40 for Moses Smith of Colin Curtis in 1972,I use to lend it to him along with other tunes and a bidding war started between Colin and Ian for it.I think the nearest I got to that was £15 each for Jerry Cook and Robert Banks 1n 1970.

Mind I was always roo cheap

Regards Brian Phillips

ah Mr Philips just the man :thumbup:

Along with that Mighty mighty good way you mentioned am I right in thinking at the same time that Bettye swan--make me yours was about the same price £15ish.

One that did bug me at the time was Mickey lee lane---Hey sahloney. What was the selling price for that matey.Was offered one for a tenner never took it up but the seller insisted that was cheap. same time as the above roughly. Just an idle thought 'cos I thought it was less than that(£2 i thought right)

Sorry mate to pick yer brain shades.gif

Social source share

ah Mr Philips just the man :thumbup:

Along with that Mighty mighty good way you mentioned am I right in thinking at the same time that Bettye swan--make me yours was about the same price £15ish.

One that did bug me at the time was Mickey lee lane---Hey sahloney. What was the selling price for that matey.Was offered one for a tenner never took it up but the seller insisted that was cheap. same time as the above roughly. Just an idle thought 'cos I thought it was less than that(£2 i thought right)

Sorry mate to pick yer brain shades.gif

:yes: To my knowledge Bettye Swann was never more than a £! and Mickey Lee Lane wasnt much more but we were cheap in Manchester because the Gloucester lads were paying a lot more but these 2 sound were comon in manchester and played out by 1970.The only reason I got top money for the Robert Banks and jerry Cook was that the Gloucester lads were after them and at that time they were probably the only copies.

I don't remember getting more than £5 for any U.K. stuff and that includes all the top stuff and many Demos.

Seeing Baby Reconsider being mentioned that was part of the remains of my collection with about 600 -700 more I let go in1981 to 2 well known DJ's who could make better use of them rather than my loft.The lot for £200 and I didn't even need the cash

Regards Brian

Edited by bri. phill
Social source share

huh.gif To my knowledge Bettye Swann was never more than a £! and Mickey Lee Lane wasnt much more but we were cheap in Manchester because the Gloucester lads were paying a lot more but these 2 sound were comon in manchester and played out by 1970.The only reason I got top money for the Robert Banks and jerry Cook was that the Gloucester lads were after them and at that time they were probably the only copies.

I don't remember getting more than £5 for any U.K. stuff and that includes all the top stuff and many Demos.

Seeing Baby Reconsider being mentioned that was part of the remains of my collection with about 600 -700 more I let go in1981 to 2 well known DJ's who could make better use of them rather than my loft.The lot for £200 and I didn't even need the cash

Regards Brian

Fair play on that mate just wondered about that Mickey lee lane one and as you say it was played out by then :yes: Blimey that UK stuff sounded good :thumbup:

cheers Jez

Social source share

:lol: To my knowledge Bettye Swann was never more than a £! and Mickey Lee Lane wasnt much more but we were cheap in Manchester because the Gloucester lads were paying a lot more but these 2 sound were comon in manchester and played out by 1970.The only reason I got top money for the Robert Banks and jerry Cook was that the Gloucester lads were after them and at that time they were probably the only copies.

Regards Brian

Yeh, I remember those lists you used to send out Mr Phillips - a fiver tops, bloody daylight robbery at the time boxing.gif

Julian

Social source share

ok two Wheel lads on here ,hello Julian and Brian

how much was the Tams "hey girl don't bother me" on ABC when it first turned up ? £5 to £20 depending on who tells the tale, remember £10 was an average weekly wage then. ohmy.gif

And your Alexander Patten UK demo still resides safely within my collection julian, wasn't that a "20 Quider" in its day ?

Rob

ps regards to both of you

Social source share

Wasn't Cigarette ashes - Jimmy Conwell one of the first big money records ? Sure I read in Dave Godin's column in B& S that someone , think it was Keith Minshull had paid around £80 for it , though that does sound a lot of money for the time [ early 70's ? ] Best ,Eddie

Yep, I concurr with that Eddie. thumbup.gif

"Cigarette Ashes" was the first mega-sum record and £80 was the rumoured price. Didn't it come out on Jay-Boy a few weeks later?

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

The second Fuller Brothers was about £70 to Minsh in approx 72 at the Torch.

I remember Jeff King wanting a fiver for a UK Human Beinz on his stall in Leicester market about 1970, that was a fortune to me (couldn't afford it) but about the same time I did splash out a quid on a couple of sounds. Mick Humphries paid £4 around then for Hooked By Love Homer Banks, which I thought was crazy because his best one 60 Minutes was only a quid or so.

Social source share

Yep, I concurr with that Eddie. thumbup.gif

"Cigarette Ashes" was the first mega-sum record and £80 was the rumoured price. Didn't it come out on Jay-Boy a few weeks later?

Ian D :lol:

You are quite right , Young Fogmeister ........

In order to get the disc released quickly - i.e. , in order to cash in the popularity the disc was having on the scene - the recording of / for the Jay Boy release , was taken from the very same copy sold for the alleged £80 , which was loaned to them , as they did not have the master to work with / from ........

As with The Fuller Brothers , I seem to remember the buyer of " CA " was Minsh .........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

how much was the Tams "hey girl don't bother me" on ABC when it first turned up ? £5 to £20 depending on who tells the tale, remember £10 was an average weekly wage then. ohmy.gif

And your Alexander Patten UK demo still resides safely within my collection julian, wasn't that a "20 Quider" in its day ?

Rob

I sold a HMV demo for about £2.50 in1970 don't remember it being a big money sound.In fact any English sound including A.Patten etc don't remeber fetching more than a fiver around Manchester,at that time we all thought imports were rarer.

Julian me expensive!I must have been cheap you bought enoughLOL

Ade A lot of love had been re-released by that time that's why it was cheaper than Hooked by love.

By the way Jeff King selling records again based in Birmingham an earlier thread was wondering what happened to him.

Regards Brian

Social source share

Yeah and did he say how he got the Don Gardner in the first place?

In a straight swap with Soul Sam for Larry Houston "Let's spend some time together"

OUCH

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

This is related to another thread and a thought offered by another member on the subject of Leon Haywood---Baby Reconsider. I seem to remember it around 1970 (give or take a bit) that it was a £25+ sound.

Also just after wasn't Queen of Fools--barbara Mills a £20 sound ?

Come on chaps what can you remember? What were your memories of what were the 'big hitters' back in the day.

Fuller bros---times a wasting, what did that go for after its first play?

Eddie Parker---Love you baby--£15er ?

What was the first £50 sound?

I can remember Gary Spencer paying £500.00 for True Image,and it was supposed to be the first time anyone had paid that amount for a 70,s tune,everone said he was crackers.He had the last laugh when it was sold to Chaddy at Bradford for very much more than that.

Social source share

Guest moggy

My memories of big ticket records (well big to me) only stretches back to around 77/78 I was earning around £30 a week

Sister Lee on Groove City £25 :thumbup: Lillie Bryant Tayster £50 Jay Traynor Demo £25

Jimmy Mack Palmer £25 :yes:

The good news was you could a Mel Britt or George Kirby for around £10/£12 :D and a Seven Souls was only £3 same as a Willie Kendricks :( I wanna cry

:lol:

Social source share

You are quite right , Young Fogmeister ........

In order to get the disc released quickly - i.e. , in order to cash in the popularity the disc was having on the scene - the recording of / for the Jay Boy release , was taken from the very same copy sold for the alleged £80 , which was loaned to them , as they did not have the master to work with / from ........

As with The Fuller Brothers , I seem to remember the buyer of " CA " was Minsh .........

Malc Burton

Minsh was the man! :lol:

Musta been a buzz breaking those @ the Torch! It's ending shivers down my spine just think of the intros on "Cigarette Ashes" and "Time's A Wasting" and the anticipation of hearing 'em to say nothing about Bob Relf!

Ian D :thumbup:

Social source share

I remember my mate offered me a Mel Britt for 25 but I was getting confused with the Jackie Beavers :lol: (being a Saturday night lad only) so it took me a few weeks to work out which one I could get :thumbup: .

The most I paid was 18 for Gia Mateo issue 12 for The Majestics issue, 8 for The Tangeers Issue and Terry Callier issue 1.20 :yes:

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

I sold a HMV demo for about £2.50 in1970 don't remember it being a big money sound.In fact any English sound including A.Patten etc don't remeber fetching more than a fiver around Manchester,at that time we all thought imports were rarer.

Julian me expensive!I must have been cheap you bought enoughLOL

Ade A lot of love had been re-released by that time that's why it was cheaper than Hooked by love.

By the way Jeff King selling records again based in Birmingham an earlier thread was wondering what happened to him.

Regards Brian

Hi Brian, did Jeff have a place in Brum? I couldn't quite follow your sentence. I always thought he was a Leicester chap and used to visit his market stall there, but I was fifteen at the time.

Social source share

Hi Brian, did Jeff have a place in Brum? I couldn't quite follow your sentence. I always thought he was a Leicester chap and used to visit his market stall there, but I was fifteen at the time.

Think he means a Jeff King recently re-emerged, selling records based in Birmingham

Social source share

Guest ruffsounds

I always remember a lad called Gary a supermarket manager from Hereford paying £25 for a Cameo Parkway demo of Bunny Siglers --Let The Good Times Roll at the Wheel circa 67/68 i thought he was barmy cos at the time i was earning between £11&£13 a week lol and that was decent wages at the time.

cheers Ralph

Social source share

how much was the Tams "hey girl don't bother me" on ABC when it first turned up ? £5 to £20 depending on who tells the tale, remember £10 was an average weekly wage then. :)

Rob

Hi Rob

glad to hear my AP is still safe with you :ohmy: - fortunately got another one now!!! Paid £1 12s 6d for it.

Tams never fetched alot of money on ABC ( we all had it on HMV) and stuff like Tami Lynn black atlantic was 17s 6d Los Canarios 10s Sapphires £3 etc etc. Remember buying an english collection of a guy called Des Harris from Huddersfield for aroud £160 - it had all Major Lance's Columbia demos, All Capitol 66 demos, looking for you demo etc. Think you got the remnants of that lot as well Mr Wigley :unsure:

Julian (skint from buying back what I once had :wicked: )

Social source share

The only time I paid more than a week,s wages for a record, I got Inspirations (Breakthough) off Sam for £80.

My wage at the time was £65. Barry Waddington got the second copy to turn up and let Richard have it swaps and cash.

Social source share

Hi Rob

glad to hear my AP is still safe with you :huh: - fortunately got another one now!!! Paid £1 12s 6d for it.

Tams never fetched alot of money on ABC ( we all had it on HMV) and stuff like Tami Lynn black atlantic was 17s 6d Los Canarios 10s Sapphires £3 etc etc. Remember buying an english collection of a guy called Des Harris from Huddersfield for aroud £160 - it had all Major Lance's Columbia demos, All Capitol 66 demos, looking for you demo etc. Think you got the remnants of that lot as well Mr Wigley :unsure:

Julian (skint from buying back what I once had :) )

Julian

Do I remember the los canarios as being only on the spanish label ? :wicked: Or can you enlighten me otherwise :ohmy:

Edited by jez jones
Social source share

Minsh was the man! :wave:

Musta been a buzz breaking those @ the Torch! It's ending shivers down my spine just think of the intros on "Cigarette Ashes" and "Time's A Wasting" and the anticipation of hearing 'em to say nothing about Bob Relf!

Ian D :D

Ian - Let me say that doing so was better than sex :lol: .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Julian

Do I remember the los canarios as being only on the spanish label ? :wave: Or can you enlighten me otherwise :lol:

I found about 20 copies on Major Minor on a market in Oldham 1969.

Ade Jeff King is selling records now from Birmingham I think it's the same Jeff from Leicester bought I off him on Gemm it's due anytime I hope.

Regards Brian

Social source share

I had it on UK Major Minor.

Thanks for 'enlightening me' BrianB, Julian and Brian Phillips. I can remember now :lol: In an attempt to prove to myself I wasn't completely losing me marbles in thinking about a 'spanish' connection(I bought the bugger for £3) , Checked the old t'internet and it was on Barclay a spanish press.

Tell you what this internet thing is brill innit. I bet folks could become experts in less time than it takes to boil an egg!!!!!!!!!!!

Way back then it took yonks to gain any nouse didn't it, but we had fun doing it :wave:

Social source share

My little girl - Bobby Garrett

Free for all - Philip Mitchell.

What did they go for back in the day?

Ooh yes 'spine tingling' intros (refer back to Ian Dewhirst's post). :thumbsup: . I am sure someone can help us put a cost on these first time round. With regards to philip mitchell, I seem to remember this turned into another Jayboy 'phenomenom' similar to Jimmy Conwell. You could pick up a copy from the Torch for half a quid :wicked:

Social source share

I found about 20 copies on Major Minor on a market in Oldham 1969.

Ade Jeff King is selling records now from Birmingham I think it's the same Jeff from Leicester bought I off him on Gemm it's due anytime I hope.

Regards Brian

Don't think it's the same Jeff King - I asked him !! Fuller Bros must have been virtually a new release when it was played ? What year was it released ? Cheers ,Eddie

Social source share

Don't think it's the same Jeff King - I asked him !! Fuller Bros must have been virtually a new release when it was played ? What year was it released ? Cheers ,Eddie

Hi Ed,

If memory still holds up it was late 1969 or early 1970.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert