Mike

• Replies 185
  • Views 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

The Rocket Modern Room? It was awful, not a good dancefloor, drab sounds on the whole. Poor is the word that comes to mind..and I went to pretty much all of them there. Sorry but I am not having history re-written so soon after the event.

==============

I don't think I'm trying to re-write history Steve, all I said was I enjoyed it in there? Yes the dancefloor was poor, but the atmosphere was better than upstairs IMO. Realise you may have not liked the playlists, but suspect your knowledge far exceeds my own, was only just starting to like modern, so was quite fresh to me :thumbsup:

Social source share

The Rocket Modern Room? It was awful, not a good dancefloor, drab sounds on the whole. Poor is the word that comes to mind..and I went to pretty much all of them there. Sorry but I am not having history re-written so soon after the event.

What did they play Steve ?

Social source share

==============

I don't think I'm trying to re-write history Steve, all I said was I enjoyed it in there? Yes the dancefloor was poor, but the atmosphere was better than upstairs IMO. Realise you may have not liked the playlists, but suspect your knowledge far exceeds my own, was only just starting to like modern, so was quite fresh to me :thumbsup:

Am not having a pop Win. Just felt it was very ordinary. Maybe that's why it emptied out. unsure.gif

Social source share

It'll never work :lol:

For starters its in the wrong place.... The 'L' Place

cor blimey guvnor, ya southern softies always had to come opp north to hear real music and attend proper venues wink.gif

eee bah gum, this ere weekly venue will be havin' a cocktail bar in the corner next :lol:

:lol: Flack jacket is on and guns locked and loaded for the north- south divide :(

Haha LOL! I'm hoping to bring in a completely fresh attitude in to sweep away the cobwebs Dawn, being a transplanted Northerner down here and all...........

Also, Northern Soul will merely be one part of the whole equation. Essentially my plan is to establish a venue which will propagate great music from all the different and historical spectrums of Black Music whether they be 60's, Northern, Modern, Motown, Philly, Disco, Funk, Jazz, Jazz-Funk, Neo Soul, Garage, House etc, etc. Basically a bona-fide home for Soul Music of all types in one of the greatest cities in the world. I think the place is ideally situated as well plus the owner seems to have the right attitude IMO.

I have a vision....... whistling.gif

I went through 2 years of rejection and people telling me it would never work with the Mastercuts series LOL, so I'm used to uphill battles. However, I don't wanna jinx anything by yapping about it too much so let's just watch this space!

Ian D :D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Haha LOL! I'm hoping to bring in a completely fresh attitude in to sweep away the cobwebs Dawn, being a transplanted Northerner down here and all...........

Also, Northern Soul will merely be one part of the whole equation. Essentially my plan is to establish a venue which will propagate great music from all the different and historical spectrums of Black Music whether they be 60's, Northern, Modern, Motown, Philly, Disco, Funk, Jazz, Jazz-Funk, Neo Soul, Garage, House etc, etc. Basically a bona-fide home for Soul Music of all types in one of the greatest cities in the world. I think the place is ideally situated as well plus the owner seems to have the right attitude IMO.

I have a vision....... whistling.gif

I went through 2 years of rejection and people telling me it would never work with the Mastercuts series LOL, so I'm used to uphill battles. However, I don't wanna jinx anything by yapping about it too much so let's just watch this space!

Ian D :lol:

it sounds wonderful Ian

Can I just ask, what is neo- soul?

Social source share

My thoughts exactly, as a youngish (32) soulie I was made to feel very welcome when I started going to venues a few years back. If my first experience had been that attitude then there is no way I would have got involved to the extent I am now.

Adam.

I lad... me too at 30 I guess Im a young (er) soulie too. I have always found the northen scene friendly. I have to say that Im looking for a venue that plays, underplayed and rare stuff, more than the popular northern revival fodder. I also want vinyl originals, not CD. Id rather hear an unknown original cheapie than a rare overplayed track on CD.

Ive noticed the explosion of new soul do's over the last five years, from having to travel to find soul, to having a choice of four or five good local do's. Ive always found everyone at "proper do's" really cool with me, but I always feel slightly nervous going to a new venue for the first time, as venue policy can either make or break a night for me... Newer "do's" are not always "exactly what it says on the tin" and often consist of a DJ (using the term loosly) with a load of Goldmine CDs and a bit of 70s playing to a a load of couples in the upstairs room of a pub, that sit on thier arses half the night and then leap into the air as soon as "the snake" comes on. As someone else said it can be a bit like an "over 40's school disco" so far removed from a good northern night. If someone my age walks into the middle of that it can be very intimidating and/or embarassing. I used to meet only die hard soulies (of all ages) but I think theres a split occuring between them and people who now go to a northern night to re-live their teens. Perhaps the two are not easily catered for under one roof and venues should be more upfront in their promotion.

J

Edited by jhsoulnotts
Social source share

Guest johnm

The Northern Soul Top 500 is regularly slagged off on this site - can somebody who is a "proper soulie" because he "does niters" furnish me with a list of 500 records played in the last ten years which are as good - if not better - than the original 500.

Now that'a list I'd like to see ................... any one up for it?

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I lad... me too at 30 I guess Im a young (er) soulie too. I have always found the northen scene friendly. I have to say that Im looking for a venue that plays, underplayed and rare stuff, more than the popular northern revival fodder. I also want vinyl originals, not CD. Id rather hear an unknown original cheapie than a rare overplayed track on CD.

Ive noticed the explosion of new soul do's over the last five years, from having to travel to find soul, to having a choice of four or five good local do's. Ive always found everyone at "proper do's" really cool with me, but I always feel slightly nervous going to a new venue for the first time, as venue policy can either make or break a night for me... Newer "do's" are not always "exactly what it says on the tin" and often consist of a DJ (using the term loosly) with a load of Goldmine CDs and a bit of 70s playing to a a load of couples in the upstairs room of a pub, that sit on thier arses half the night and then leap into the air as soon as "the snake" comes on. As someone else said it can be a bit like an "over 40's school disco" so far removed from a good northern night. If someone my age walks into the middle of that it can be very intimidating and/or embarassing. I used to meet only die hard soulies (of all ages) but I think theres a split occuring between them and people who now go to a northern night to re-live their teens. Perhaps the two are not easily catered for under one roof and venues should be more upfront in their promotion.

J

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I have to say that Im looking for a venue that plays, underplayed and rare stuff, more than the popular northern revival fodder. I also want vinyl originals, not CD. Id rather hear an unknown original cheapie than a rare overplayed track on CD.

If I'm guessing your location correctly from your username there's a venue not too far away I could recommend whistling.gif:lol: renowned for being friendly as well :(

Social source share

If I'm guessing your location correctly from your username there's a venue not too far away I could recommend whistling.gifwhistling.gif renowned for being friendly as well thumbsup.gif

Im coming on saturday hopefully rolleyes.gif have heard good things!

Social source share

a top 500 that isnt in the top 500...could it be done on here ?...anyone got the pc know how to start a thread where tunes are added until we have a soul source 500...maybe only 1 tune each or maybe a voting system once we have 500 ??...just a thought..

Social source share

a top 500 that isnt in the top 500...could it be done on here ?...anyone got the pc know how to start a thread where tunes are added until we have a soul source 500...maybe only 1 tune each or maybe a voting system once we have 500 ??...just a thought..

Would be difficult. I am a nostalgia person, & yesterday I played for the first time in ages the Younghearts "A Little Togetherness" anything better than that in the last 30 years?

Discuss biggrin.gif

Paul

Social source share

It'll never work laugh.gif

For starters its in the wrong place.... The 'L' Place

cor blimey guvnor, ya southern softies always had to come opp north to hear real music and attend proper venues wink.gif

eee bah gum, this ere weekly venue will be havin' a cocktail bar in the corner next laugh.gif

ph34r.gif Flack jacket is on and guns locked and loaded for the north- south divide ph34r.gif

laugh.gif:wicked::lol: SISTER DAWN TALKING SENSE NORTH = NORTH OF WATFORD :wub:

Social source share

Would be difficult. I am a nostalgia person, & yesterday I played for the first time in ages the Younghearts "A Little Togetherness" anything better than that in the last 30 years?

Discuss :wicked:

Paul

I could name you probably 1000 better records than that in the last 30 years, let's start with

cecil washington

eddie daye

billy hambric

tempests

imperial c's

lonnie russ

erma franklin

nancy butts

commands

johnny maestro

I mean come on, records played since 78 that are better than the Younghearts...the list would never end!

Social source share

In a highly competitive market, when something is commoditized, you have to appeal to the lowest common denominator. That's why there are so many gigs out there playing the same old stuff week in week out. There is the philosophy that they have to play that which is inoffensive enough and close enough to what they are already playing in order to minimize the risk that John and Jane will go somewhere else.

I am well aware that musical tastes are varied and that not everyone will like the same stuff that I do. The point is that so many people will immediately tune out or revolt against anything that isn't familiar. There have been studies done on how the human brain likes to be challenged with new sounds and arrangements but only to a point at which you tune it out as too radical or foreign. The problem is that nobody wants to take risks anymore. People don`t want to hear something that doesn't really sound like what's already coming from the speakers. If it doesn`t sound like what is already coming out of the speakers, John and Jane might just go over to the `competitor's` venue or (god forbid) actually like what they hear.

The end result is a very homogenized product. DJs are no longer expected to be the music nerds who will introduce you to the great stuff they run across and take the risks to be the first to break the next big thing. Now they are expected to shuffle playlists and rerun the same songs monthly like clockwork until something safe and palatable comes along to add to the list.

Call me pessimistic but nothing is going to change this and I think that the increasing diversity will create more division; I for one embrace this as I pay my money like any other punter and I make my choice. I don`t want to go down with the LCD ship!

(Thanks to Reddit; sea_wall)

Social source share

I could name you probably 1000 better records than that in the last 30 years, let's start with

cecil washington

eddie daye

billy hambric

tempests

imperial c's

lonnie russ

erma franklin

nancy butts

commands

johnny maestro

I mean come on, records played since 78 that are better than the Younghearts...the list would never end!

As usual somebody who doesn't seem to be too keen on a record (ie The Younghearts) tells us there are a thousand better records that have been played - they then list ten good records so as to illustrate that point.

What I actually said earlier in this thread was I was looking for an alternative top 500 which are as good as if not better than the original list.

Social source share

As usual somebody who doesn't seem to be too keen on a record (ie The Younghearts) tells us there are a thousand better records that have been played - they then list ten good records so as to illustrate that point.

What I actually said earlier in this thread was I was looking for an alternative top 500 which are as good as if not better than the original list.

I wasn't replying to your point mister, someone asked for records better than the Younghearts, a very average record, and I supplied a start but stopped because it would have taken me all day to type them.

In answer to your question, of course I couldn't come up with 500 records better than the top 500, a good 300 of them are the best records ever made.

Read my posts properly before having a sarcy pop back please.

Social source share

The "Top 500" can't be slagged off by anyone, for quality music, and an excellant book!

If people are happy to go to venues and here the same old 500,why not stay at home and play the CD'S.There are millions of discs out there,worth hearing and in-turn become

favorites.If the book captures the scene to date, we need to move on and create another 500 for the future.

Social source share

cecil washington

eddie daye

billy hambric

tempests

imperial c's

lonnie russ

erma franklin

nancy butts

commands

johnny maestro

I suppose I was asking for that one, but personally I love the late Torch types stuff, although I never went.

I probably wouldn't count The Younghearts in my top 10, but for me, that is a great example of what Northern Soul is about. And if people thought the same as me, then this thread would probably be irrelevant.

Paul

Social source share

I suppose I was asking for that one, but personally I love the late Torch types stuff, although I never went.

I probably wouldn't count The Younghearts in my top 10, but for me, that is a great example of what Northern Soul is about. And if people thought the same as me, then this thread would probably be irrelevant.

Paul

Yeah it was unfortunate really Paul because it just happens to be a record I hate, if you'd have said almost anything else from that period I wouldn't have even commented

Social source share

People keep mentioning getting the best djs together for on allniter but it already happens at the Cleggy weekender, Middleton, Lifeline and 6Ts and to some extent Stoke (he he..don't shoot the messenger but look at the line up...don't focus too much on playlists though....). The scene seems healthy enough to me from the few venues I attend (yes and including allniters MrDarcy) so why worry?

btw Pete..I quite like the Younghearts...there's no accounting for taste I know but let's agree to disagree. Also...is the Ad Libs in the top 500? That's a great track...??

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

hi again, you can NEVER please everybody where rare soul is concerned. i had a mate late 70s- 1981, who used to storm off the dancefloor, arms waving, expletives etc EVERYTIME a "newy" (a 70s track) was played!!!

hold my hat off to anyone still on the dance floor in his late 70's...........is he still about? :wave:

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

People keep mentioning getting the best djs together for on allniter but it already happens at the Cleggy weekender, Middleton, Lifeline and 6Ts and to some extent Stoke (he he..don't shoot the messenger but look at the line up...don't focus too much on playlists though....). The scene seems healthy enough to me from the few venues I attend (yes and including allniters MrDarcy) so why worry?

i have to agree with you, i think these doos are the cream of the crop and will be there for years to come i also think there are a quite few good soul nights about contrary to what some people say

i had an interesting conversation with some one on Saturday that said if it wasn't for the mod revival and scooter scene of the late 1970's -80's the soul scene would be a completely different scene now, yes.gif

i also agree that there are to many doos on at the moment, there are also far to many miserable negative bastards about, i blame bad drugs :lol:

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

i also agree that there are to many doos on at the moment, there are also far to many miserable negative bastards about, i blame bad drugs :lol:

The good drugs are ok than? :ohmy::lol:

if they cheer people up i guess they are allthough i prefer beer :no::D

Social source share

In order to save the Soul scene from it's perilous state, there ought to be a Soul Summit. When everyone has finished arguing about who should be at the negotiating table, a list should be drawn up of what records should be "set aside", what venue's ought to be put out to grass for the greater good and which promoters should be taken out at dawn and summarily shot.

So, that's names of;

The Soul Steering committee.

Tunes to be targeted for "The Vinyl Solution"

Venue's to be vanquished.

Promoters to be punished for crimes against soulmanity

Go on, I dare ya! :lol::lol::lol:

LOL.. PMSL :lol:

Just catching up on this thread.. brilliant idea.

Jayne.x :yes:

Social source share

In order to save the Soul scene from it's perilous state, there ought to be a Soul Summit. When everyone has finished arguing about who should be at the negotiating table, a list should be drawn up of what records should be "set aside", what venue's ought to be put out to grass for the greater good and which promoters should be taken out at dawn and summarily shot.

So, that's names of;

The Soul Steering committee.

Tunes to be targeted for "The Vinyl Solution"

Venue's to be vanquished.

Promoters to be punished for crimes against soulmanity

Go on, I dare ya! :yes::lol::lol:

Haha LOL! Just re-read this. Very good! :lol:

Could we have a 'Doctor Evil" type character as head of the Soul Steering Committee in memory of the legend that was John 'Kojac' Harvey (an idiosyncratic promoter from the early to mid 70's)?

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

The "Top 500" can't be slagged off by anyone, for quality music, and an excellant book!

If people are happy to go to venues and here the same old 500,why not stay at home and play the CD'S.There are millions of discs out there,worth hearing and in-turn become

favorites.If the book captures the scene to date, we need to move on and create another 500 for the future.

Because it's not all about hearing the same old 500. It's about socialising, seeing friends, having a break from the everyday shi1te and having a good time. Not many of us can fit that many people in our homes.. :unsure:

besides, music sounds miles better over a good big rig rather than a home stereo...and it's not the same dancing around the living room.

another 500 for the future? I dont think there are that many good new tunes coming through, there are plenty of 'popular for 5 minutes tunes' whilst current big DJ has one but I wouldn't say we've got enough to warrent a new top 500.

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert