• Replies 185
  • Views 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest FrostyJak

just me or does anyone else get the feeling that on a downward slope to lcd ?

Sorry lost me too whats lcd please

Social source share

laughing, sorry was a sort of rushed post

yep

Lowest Common Denomiator

its like every week see something else that hits a new low

be it crap events, cheesey cover bands, sh*t e promoters, fans geting ripped off, tacky cash-ins, mainstream media and all the rest

its like rather than it all concerning 'northern soul' music

get the feeling that its geting more about just catering to anyone over 40+ with a few quid in the pocket

Social source share

yep

Lowest Common Denomiator

be it crap events, cheesey cover bands, sh*t e promoters, fans geting ripped off, tacky cash-ins, mainstream media and all the rest

get the feeling that its geting more about just catering to anyone over 40+ with a few quid in the pocket

Got to agree with the sentiments Mike.

The one consolation is the tacky events, cash ins etc will all be avoided by the 'real' fans.

IMO anyway.

Social source share

yep

Lowest Common Denomiator

Yep. You tell em Mike.

Bloody Charlatons!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

I'm on a downwards slope to OCD.

Just gonna go and check to see if all of my records labels are pointing to twelve.

:thumbsup::D See Mike theres always someone to lighten the mood while the rest of em battle it out. Just gotta be careful who you trust these days but its not only the soul world.

Social source share

:thumbsup::D See Mike theres always someone to lighten the mood while the rest of em battle it out. Just gotta be careful who you trust these days but its not only the soul world.

Not just trust but also making informed decisions.

Nothing worse than travelling and then being dissapointed with the night out.

Social source share

I'm on a downwards slope to OCD.

Just gonna go and check to see if all of my records labels are pointing to twelve.

Not another one :thumbsup: ....

How do you go on with those that have the label name slanted, down the side or curvy Joe.... I mean how do you work out which way is 12 :ohmy: ....

Give us a clue pal because that bit stumps me :D ....

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

Not another one :thumbsup: ....

How do you go on with those that have the label name slanted, down the side or curvy Joe.... I mean how do you work out which way is 12 :ohmy: ....

Give us a clue pal because that bit stumps me :D ....

Artists name should be horizontal, obviously.

Unless of course....... arrrgh!

Where's me blanket?

Social source share

laughing here, looking like gonna have to offtopic my own thread

back to original point

just me ?

OK on topic Mike....

Seems to be with some of the thread content these days....

Depends how much they effect you or you let them effect you I suppose....

Personally the words pinch and salt come to mind....

Social source share

OK on topic Mike....

Seems to be with some of the thread content these days....

Depends how much they effect you or you let them effect you I suppose....

Personally the words pinch and salt come to mind....

mmmm maybe Mark

though getting to point where going by recent stuff (eg cover bands who can't spell the title of track covering) makes me wonder if the famous "live and let live" attitude we have oh here is just a bit flawed

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

yep

Lowest Common Denomiator

Agree 100% especially with the last sentence but if you say anything then you're accused of not wanting new blood, being a dinosaur, being too elitist, killing the scene...etc, etc etc

I love the fact this scene is underground loath the fact that Duffy and the like is seen as acceptable to play at a northern nite n the fact that every tom dick n Harry thinks they can be a dj and was wondering if this forum is really for soul lovers n punters or just for dj's n promoters.

Still its miles better than any alternative so ill just continue to go out n support the events i like avoid the ones i dont n keep me mouth shut in-between from now on......well try to anyway!! lol

disillusioned of southend on sea

Social source share

Guest rachel

I think it has got a bit fashionable again, have noticed more and more mainstream/ 'normal' bars having "soul nights" on, seems to be the thing to do.

Social source share

mmmm maybe Mark

though getting to point where going by recent stuff (eg cover bands who can't spell the title of track covering) makes me wonder if the famous "live and let live" attitude we have oh here is just a bit flawed

From your perspective on the above example I'd agree Mike.... what with ensuring "things are in order" and all that...

From my point of view the number of views and replies, or lack of them, tells you how many actually lay credence to that type of thread IMO... those that do reply usually "type" summat to say what, I suspect, the vast majority that read it are thinking.... and then the thread "quickly" disappears from the front page....

The sh*te promoters, crap events, etc., etc., that you mention.... usually between a few, concerning a few and of little importance to others.... that happens on any forum IMO....

So yes.... "live and let live" :D ....

Social source share

I think it has got a bit fashionable again, have noticed more and more mainstream/ 'normal' bars having "soul nights" on, seems to be the thing to do.

================

Have said before, not necessarily the northern scene becoming fashionable again, but going out for the over 4Ts. For a long time no one knew about us, then came motown weekenders (know they've been about for a while) but then they had northern rooms. Northern rooms mean flyers, suddenly everybody knows about us. So we are getting new blood in, but not youngsters, just a diluted crowd. Realise there still are some returnees, but have noticed for quite a while that there are many may not have been theres. Hence more events coming up, because a lot of these people don't mind only going out once a month, or once every couple of months, but they want the night local.

Reading it back, sounds like I have major reservations, not sure that's the case, just think the scene is currently a watered down version of what it was. :D

Soul source has weekly battles between punters/promoters/collectors, great if you like to argue (don't mind myself) and have a rant, but the much vaunted cameraderie that pervaded our scene is withering IMO. Maybe the nature of the scene means it has to press the self destruct button to re-invent itself?

Long winded, but basically agree with Mike :thumbsup: Maybe slightly different concerns??

Social source share

I don't normally come on here to moan and groan ,like a lot of you do,but I think the main problems at the moment are.

the scene no longer under ground , main problem

the 40s and 50 + folk don't want to go to pubs and pay £3.00 plus a pint, when they can go to the local WMC/Welfare and pay £2.20, and it just so happens there's music and dancing and its not full of bloody kids falling out, and looking for trouble,.

too many Handbaggers because of the reasons stated above

too many do's, we all know this

But then again if you choose the venues you like ,and stick to em,there are still many great nights to be had, keep the kids out, stuff this daft new blood idea,cos it just wont work.if a do is full of kids/new blood ,I wont go ,I want to go to a venue because its full of like minded folk,not handbaggers and kids

:thumbsup: Bazza

Social source share

I don't normally come on here to moan and groan ,like a lot of you do,but I think the main problems at the moment are.

the scene no longer under ground , main problem

the 40s and 50 + folk don't want to go to pubs and pay £3.00 plus a pint, when they can go to the local WMC/Welfare and pay £2.20, and it just so happens there's music and dancing and its not full of bloody kids falling out, and looking for trouble,.

too many Handbaggers because of the reasons stated above

too many do's, we all know this

But then again if you choose the venues you like ,and stick to em,there are still many great nights to be had, keep the kids out, stuff this daft new blood idea,cos it just wont work.if a do is full of kids/new blood ,I wont go ,I want to go to a venue because its full of like minded folk,not handbaggers and kids

:thumbsup: Bazza

agree with you bazza 100 per cent

Social source share

I think a "Big Bang" is gonna come, also had a thought about Djs and Venues, as my previously posted thread "Too many cheifs". Read comments about 2 venues in the same town same night, which seems to happen in Lincolnshire a lot ?

Well when we were all a lot younger "Disco Tackle" was quite dear to buy, over the years i've had loads of stuff bought secondhand of mobile Djs, now this stuff is in your local Argos, twin turntables, mixers, good AMPs (for a local do) speakers etc , so for £500 or so you can get a workable set up PA.

Think about it £1,000 records are common place, just like £10,000,000 footballers, we dont blink at spending £300 on a decent 45, its a cheapie ! The tackle to play them has become obtainable to Joe public, so up they set in a hall, a couple of mates and off they go. Bingo a new soul night for your town !

Like I've said a couple of times on here recently, I've seen the wind of change already blowing through the scene and when the former line dancers and hangers on have all pissed off back from whence they came. The "Soul" will shine through and we'll be happy in the underground once more !

LCD = DPUI and thats whats spoiling a lot of do's :thumbsup:

Rob

Social source share

Guest madkev

I think a "Big Bang" is gonna come, also had a thought about Djs and Venues, as my previously posted thread "Too many cheifs". Read comments about 2 venues in the same town same night, which seems to happen in Lincolnshire a lot ?

Well when we were all a lot younger "Disco Tackle" was quite dear to buy, over the years i've had loads of stuff bought secondhand of mobile Djs, now this stuff is in your local Argos, twin turntables, mixers, good AMPs (for a local do) speakers etc , so for £500 or so you can get a workable set up PA.

Think about it £1,000 records are common place, just like £10,000,000 footballers, we dont blink at spending £300 on a decent 45, its a cheapie ! The tackle to play them has become obtainable to Joe public, so up they set in a hall, a couple of mates and off they go. Bingo a new soul night for your town !

Like I've said a couple of times on here recently, I've seen the wind of change already blowing through the scene and when the former line dancers and hangers on have all pissed off back from whence they came. The "Soul" will shine through and we'll be happy in the underground once more !

LCD = DPUI and thats whats spoiling a lot of do's :thumbsup:

Rob

Social source share

Agree 100% especially with the last sentence but if you say anything then you're accused of not wanting new blood, being a dinosaur, being too elitist, killing the scene...etc, etc etc

I love the fact this scene is underground loath the fact that Duffy and the like is seen as acceptable to play at a northern nite n the fact that every tom dick n Harry thinks they can be a dj and was wondering if this forum is really for soul lovers n punters or just for dj's n promoters.

Still its miles better than any alternative so ill just continue to go out n support the events i like avoid the ones i dont n keep me mouth shut in-between from now on......well try to anyway!! lol

disillusioned of southend on sea

:unsure:

Good post.

Personally cant think of much sadder than goin into a record bar that has been "disneyfied" and no longer sells records but has lots of Northern tat, do people really want to buy Northern Soul Clocks, Keep The Faith Earrings and Wigan Mugs with matching coasters instead of records and cd s. When did it become more important to look the part rather than just being a part (of a brilliant rare soul scene).

Social source share

The only reason that the scene is still going strong, is because of it's forward nature, moving forward, playing new things, playing new genres, new D.J.'s, new venues - this constant battle by some, to turn it into a big nostalgia trip is a nail in the coffin. Remeber that even some of these big "Oldies" e.g. Tony Galla, Sam Fletcher, Timi Yuro, Sam Dees were NOT played at Wigan, New tunes keeps and has kept it alive & fresh.

Des Parker

Social source share

I don't nderstand some of these threads - last week we had to many do's on, everyone wants to be a dj, some thing about promoters... Now we are saying we don't want to be an over 40s club night for tourist who want to get out.... and sell tea towels and mouse mats.. :unsure:

Sometimes if I haven't been out for a week or 2 and my only contact apart from playing my records is Soul Source (which I admit i'm adictied to.. ) and the threads are negative i feel negative.. I mean if you haven't been out how can you be negative about the scene?

I sometimes feel we on here (me included) are to negative, and wind each other up..

Dave Morris started a thread a week or so ago thanking dealers who he bought records off.. and a few people made comments, it was a good thread.. when you read it you smiled... it left yo posative but didn't change your life in any way...

I think lately the Problem is "all about the soul" has become a busy forum, but it has become a soap box where people seem to moan a lot... and then everyone else joins in.. you read it and it leaves you negative... and sometimes you can be taken in by somebody who you agreeing with only to find out they have beef with with some one else... and that is why they started the thread in the begining...

We need more posative threads on here.. do you know when I go out I don't care if there are tourst there as long as they respect the no drinking on the dance foor.. I don't care if there are youngsters there as long as they are not sliding along on thier knees on the dance floor...

all I care about is that, the music is played off originals (and yes that does bother me) - and the dj's are not playing for there selfs... thats it.. give me the floor and i'm away...

Social source share

:unsure: Bazza

Bazza

Well i'm glad there weren't people with your attitude around on the scene in Scotland in the early eighties or i wouldn't have been allowed in to your precious scene.

Fortunately we at 16/17 were made to feel very welcome by the established members of the Scottish soul scene.

If that's your attitude Bazza i feel sorry for you.

Derek

Social source share

Bazza

Well i'm glad there weren't people with your attitude around on the scene in Scotland in the early eighties or i wouldn't have been allowed in to your precious scene.

Fortunately we at 16/17 were made to feel very welcome by the established members of the Scottish soul scene.

Derek

My thoughts exactly, as a youngish (32) soulie I was made to feel very welcome when I started going to venues a few years back. If my first experience had been that attitude then there is no way I would have got involved to the extent I am now.

Adam.

Social source share

yep

Lowest Common Denomiator

Ever get the feeling of De Ja Vu..............its all happened before..........but look on the bright side, wont be long now if history repeats itself, like it seems to be doing, that, we'll be left with the hardcore & a venue that will break the mould & once again the 'real' scene will rise from the ashes Pheonix like once again.............some fantastic real deal veues about still, support them & let the wannabees, gold diggers, glory grabbers, hand baggers & tourists fall by the way side, as they did & as they will again...........the real Rare Soul Scene is still out there folks, ya just need to find it & its not that hard, support em and enjoy ya selfs doin it.

Russ

Social source share

The only reason that the scene is still going strong, is because of it's forward nature, moving forward, playing new things, playing new genres, new D.J.'s, new venues - this constant battle by some, to turn it into a big nostalgia trip is a nail in the coffin. Remeber that even some of these big "Oldies" e.g. Tony Galla, Sam Fletcher, Timi Yuro, Sam Dees were NOT played at Wigan, New tunes keeps and has kept it alive & fresh.

Des Parker

:unsure: .

Russ

Social source share

Think we have to face facts that the Northern Scene is no longer underground - it hasn't been for a good many years.

Of course there are still little pockets where rare & underplayed soul is played.

Think a lot of it goes back to the mid seventies when your local club would play "a bit of Northern Soul" alongside the pop tunes of the day. I can remember Dobie Gray, Creation etc. being popular with "non - scene" people back then.

30-40 years on these people have bought the CDs & attended a few nights & realised this is their comfort zone. They don't mind that eveybody is 45-60 years old - it is indeed this that makes them want to go to these gigs.

Yes - a lot of these events have become the "School disco" for the over 40s.

Social source share

:) Bazza

Bazza

Derek

Ah, thanks Derek :g: , Ok im a dinosaur,I admit it, been called a lot worse :lol:

:unsure: Bazza

Social source share

Guest sausalito

Who Are the Handbaggers we should keep out?

It's harder to tell today cos not everyones the dancer they thought they once were :unsure:

Half (probably more than half) of us wouldn't be allowed out unless we took our/your 'handbagger' partners with you :g:

ENJOY IT WHILE YOU STILL CAN :)

KTF

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert