Jim G

• Replies 146
  • Views 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Friday Brown - bargain!!! I should of waited another 10 months before buying it, paid double that :lol:

QoFxx

Bargain ? I'll send you some cotton buds Chrissie. Buyer paid about £107.65p over the top for that dreadful piece of pop garbage :lol:

Social source share

WELL IM GOBSMACKED FOR A NUMBER OF REASONS FIRSTLY CAN PEOPLE /DJS NOT SHOW ANY ORIGINALITY AND PURSUE THE LITERALLY THOUSHANDS OF GOOD OBSCURE TUNES WHAT ARE OUT THERE-ANSWER NO OFCOURSE NOT,SECONDLY ITS A GOOD RECORD BUT NOT A BRILLAINT RECORD ,THE APPRECIATIONS -CANT HIDE IT WENT FOR 540US LAST WEEK ON THE BAY ON A vg+,NOW THAT IS A BRILLAINT RECORD PERHAPS NOT VOGUE ENOUGH?

THIS IS JUST ANOTHER REASON WHY I ONLY GET TO CERTAIN VENUES OCCASIONALLY BECAUSE THE F--KING ORIGINALITY OF THE SCENE AND THE PRINCIPLES ALOT OF US FOLLOWED IN THE MID TO LATE EIGHTIES HAS GONE ,SHEEP FOLLOW SHEEP SADLY,RIGHT OFF TO THE MEDIA SECTION TO LISTEN TO THE THOUSHANDS OF RECORDS THAT BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF LEE FIELDS FOR THE COST OF A PIZZA AND A PINT OF LAGER.

I gotta agree with you, I saw the appreciations go for that as well last week. I already own a copy and when I get asked to Dj I often play it, along with anything else that stands along side records of that quality be them rare or easly availabe, I dont care if Butch & Co aint playing em. I play them because I like em and not because there in vogue. This demand for chasing very attainable records at massively inflated prices is fine with me, the only problem is you create a demand for records that just dont make the grade in my opinion and consequently when you attend venues you have to listen to a load crap in between the quality.

I'm all for reactivating old sounds that have slipped under the radar or didn't get the acclaim they deserved first time around but some of the events i've been to recently have been a bit of a dissapointment because of this in vogue mentality.

As far as i'm concerned Djs should think about quality first and believe in what they are playing not just play it out because x y & z down the road do.

I know everyone always tells djs to be more individual and to create there own style and I accept for most its very hard to do, but follow a few rules that I apply to collecting (an djing when asked) and things become a little easier only buy what you like, and dont think somthing has to be good just because a big name plays it, its simlpy your taste in soul music that should come through the amp and not somone elses.

Cheers Darren

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I gotta agree with you, I saw the appreciations go for that as well last week. I already own a copy and when I get asked to Dj I often play it, along with anything else that stands along side records of that quality be them rare or easly availabe, I dont care if Butch & Co aint playing em. I play them because I like em and not because there in vogue. This demand for chasing very attainable records at massively inflated prices is fine with me, the only problem is you create a demand for records that just dont make the grade in my opinion and consequently when you attend venues you have to listen to a load crap in between the quality.

I'm all for reactivating old sounds that have slipped under the radar or didn't get the acclaim they deserved first time around but some of the events i've been to recently have been a bit of a dissapointment because of this in vogue mentality.

As far as i'm concerned Djs should think about quality first and believe in what they are playing not just play it out because x y & z down the road do.

I know everyone always tells djs to be more individual and to create there own style and I accept for most its very hard to do, but follow a few rules that I apply to collecting (an djing when asked) and things become a little easier only buy what you like, and dont think somthing has to be good just because a big name plays it, its simlpy your taste in soul music that should come through the amp and not somone elses.

Cheers Darren

Social source share

ps. Going by the 12" price for the Return To Spanish Harlem, what would be the current value on a tidy 7" copy on Speed?

The flip of it, Already Satisfied is a brilliant latin dancer as well....

In that case i will take offers on mine. Anyone interested i will be at Rugby Sat night.

Steve

Social source share

Guest CliftonHall1

Butch started the revival on this but it's popular for a number of DJ's. Always fills the floor down this way.

Nice when you can pick up even a "bargain priced" one on ebay Steve.

Always nice to leave complimentary feedback i think.......nudge, nudge, wink, wink say no more

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I don't often 'crtisise' anyone for what they spend their money on. It's a free world, and it's often crazier what some collectors refuse to sell a record for no matter what sum of money is offered to them.

This whole Lee Fields thing though, you have to question WHY the person buying it is buying it. If it wasn't made so popular by Butch, they obviously wouldn't be buying it. Plainly, that is the case.

And quite plainly there are more interesting things for a DJ to be spinning than this. This is not some IMHO moment, this is the truth. You're a bit of bottom feeder to be paying this sort of money for a record that Butch has made popular.

It stinks of desperation to fill a dance floor with an in vogue record rather than more noble desires to be sharing interesting records. "Top DJs" should be doing their own thing, playing cool records to cool people. Top DJs should not be a c_unt. There comes a time in a DJs career when they have to decide whether they are a cool MF or a c_unt. Any DJ who pays up for this record to play out now has plainly chosen their path...

Because lets face it, it's not cool to be paying £750 quid to stand on the shoulders of a giant.

If however the buyer is a collector who has frustratingly missed copy after copy 'cheap' and has recently won the football pools, then cool. Good luck to him.

Social source share

Its called being ironic mark

Sorry, I am German and were not born with a sense of irony

Marc

´cause that was what we call sarcasm :g: knew he was not serious but was so gobsmacked I had to write something. Fantastic post just like Steve Plumb said. Gotta be the quote of the year.

Social source share

It stinks of desperation to fill a dance floor with an in vogue record rather than more noble desires to be sharing interesting records. "Top DJs" should be doing their own thing, playing cool records to cool people. Top DJs should not be a c_unt. There comes a time in a DJs career when they have to decide whether they are a cool MF or a c_unt. Any DJ who pays up for this record to play out now has plainly chosen their path...

Because lets face it, it's not cool to be paying £750 quid to stand on the shoulders of a giant.

If however the buyer is a collector who has frustratingly missed copy after copy 'cheap' and has recently won the football pools, then cool. Good luck to him.

Must admit James this is amongst the best things I read from you. Incl. the bottom sentence.

Marc

Social source share

I'd still like a copy of this record as someone who has wanted to get this for years and always missed the boat. Should of put more effort in. I think its a fabulous record as it happens and (aside from the ridiculous price its now gone for) am very glad its got/is getting the action in the clubs it has. Many far worse records held in higher regard imho.

To buy it to DJ with is a different thing altogether. Some of us non-DJs just like to have these things to squirrel away at home....another one to pop on the 'forget it list'.

I do think its also a terrible shame that this crackers price its attained has seemingly marred its cool as a record at least on this thread.....if you listen to it its undeniably a Hale & Pace Stonker of a record.

On another point quickly....is it not the case for a lot of people that their only or maybe main exposure to hearing new sounds is through DJs, as not everyone can afford to randomly buy blind or have the option of getting to sift through piles of obscure soul 45s....I would of thought wanting a record because you've heard it out and love it isn't being a c*nt....its more agreeing on it's brilliance. I'm talking from a non-jocking position of course.

Edited by mulf
Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Sorry, I am German and were not born with a sense of irony

Marc

´cause that was what we call sarcasm :g: knew he was not serious but was so gobsmacked I had to write something. Fantastic post just like Steve Plumb said. Gotta be the quote of the year.

Marc, unfortunately only the British and Antipodeians understand the difference between irony and sarcasm:

Jay Fullmer, 38, yesterday became the first American to get to grips with the concept of irony. "It was weird" Fullmer said. "I was in London and like, talking to this guy and it was raining and he pulled a face and said, "great weather, eh?" and I thought "wait a minute, no way is it great weather". Fullmer then realised that the other man's 'mistake' was in fact deliberate.

Fullmer, who is 39 next month and married with two children, aged 8 and 3, plans to use irony himself in future. "I'm like using it all the time" he said. "Last weekend I was grilling steaks and I burned them to sh!t and I said "hey, great weather!".

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Usual shit spoken on here again, DJ's have always chased each other, were the f--k did your cover up come from, yes penny now dropping :g: it was to try and stop the chase.

Now LF has a silly price all you who are slagging it off can put yours up for sale, then it might end up in home that appreciates it, there's at least 2 DJ's still after a copy, I'm not one of them by the way.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I don't think the price of it high or low should determine whether its a good record....its clearly a great record regardless.

Price doesn't effect that, of course not, man...

However, this "Top DJ" thing is a a bit twisted.

"Top DJs" don't pull stunts like this. Pop DJs do, but not a top, rare, underground soul music DJ.

John had three "top pop" DJs bidding for it. Not 3 cool as fook, heavy, heavy soul DJs.

Which is fair enough. Pop music can be good, and great soul records can be popular, don't be ashamed to be a top pop DJ, mate.

_44097795_smashnice_bbc203b.jpg

"Next up, Lee Fields, so get yourselves on the floor. Poptaculous!"

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Until I read James' post I thought I may have been a bit harsh referring to the bidders as "Morons" but to reiterate what appears to be the majority view Im sure a "top" dj would have used £700+ to better effect if the ethos is to keep ahead of the crowd.

Can't see the point of spending that amount of money on a 45 everybody was talking about 6 months [or whenever] ago when you coulda bought something people will be talking about in 6 months time.

ROD

Social source share

WELL IM GOBSMACKED FOR A NUMBER OF REASONS FIRSTLY CAN PEOPLE /DJS NOT SHOW ANY ORIGINALITY AND PURSUE THE LITERALLY THOUSHANDS OF GOOD OBSCURE TUNES WHAT ARE OUT THERE-ANSWER NO OFCOURSE NOT,SECONDLY ITS A GOOD RECORD BUT NOT A BRILLAINT RECORD ,THE APPRECIATIONS -CANT HIDE IT WENT FOR 540US LAST WEEK ON THE BAY ON A vg+,NOW THAT IS A BRILLAINT RECORD PERHAPS NOT VOGUE ENOUGH?

THIS IS JUST ANOTHER REASON WHY I ONLY GET TO CERTAIN VENUES OCCASIONALLY BECAUSE THE F--KING ORIGINALITY OF THE SCENE AND THE PRINCIPLES ALOT OF US FOLLOWED IN THE MID TO LATE EIGHTIES HAS GONE ,SHEEP FOLLOW SHEEP SADLY,RIGHT OFF TO THE MEDIA SECTION TO LISTEN TO THE THOUSHANDS OF RECORDS THAT BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF LEE FIELDS FOR THE COST OF A PIZZA AND A PINT OF LAGER.

BAZ A :)

Baz I reckon we should have a topic off what pizza and a pint of lager priced records dobbo should play for us, and turn into a fortnight in Mexico type records. :ohmy: think i'll get me coat . (some wooly back top dj's should be named and shamed) baaaaalocks think its time to make a ewe turn now get my wellies i'll have the one with the nice eyelashes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hope our european friends get this one????

Flanny............

Social source share

So, what price on this one now?

:)

Ha,but has it got "Tek mi bak" on the other side?.

Which "dj's" have had the "round things between their legs" enough to play "Tyra's Song out?

How much for "Mighty Lovin(?)'" on the same label by Lee Fields?.Anyway this went to the back of my box some time back.

MOVE ON CHILDREN :ohmy:

Social source share

Baz I reckon we should have a topic off what pizza and a pint of lager priced records dobbo should play for us, and turn into a fortnight in Mexico type records. :) think i'll get me coat . (some wooly back top dj's should be named and shamed) baaaaalocks think its time to make a ewe turn now get my wellies i'll have the one with the nice eyelashes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flanny............

PERSONNALY FLANNY I DONT GIVE SHIT WHO WAS BIDDING AND WHO GOT IT,I DO TAKE YOUR POINT ABOUT EYELASHES THOUGH :ohmy:

BAZ A

post-4276-1213912893.jpg

Edited by baz atkinson
Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Baz I reckon we should have a topic off what pizza and a pint of lager priced records dobbo should play for us, and turn into a fortnight in Mexico type records. :) think i'll get me coat . (some wooly back top dj's should be named and shamed) baaaaalocks think its time to make a ewe turn now get my wellies i'll have the one with the nice eyelashes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flanny............

:ohmy::shhh:

Social source share

I bought a copy of the Lee Fields a few months ago, after hearing Butch play it....however when I got it home, and played it a few times, I wasn't keen....so it's been sat in the box unplayed......if anyone wants it, for a reasonable price, please PM me....I'll never play it...

Phil.

Social source share

I bought a copy of the Lee Fields a few months ago, after hearing Butch play it....however when I got it home, and played it a few times, I wasn't keen....so it's been sat in the box unplayed......if anyone wants it, for a reasonable price, please PM me....I'll never play it...

Phil.

think that's the third copy on here for sale today? Is this a first for soul source?

Social source share

Cheers Darren

bang on thumbup.gif

HERE HERE :yes:

NEVER WILL I BEGIN TO UNDERSTAND THOSE WHO BUY AND PLAY TUNES SOLELY FOR OTHERS - IS THIS A REAL DJ OR SOMEBODY WHO'S IS TRYING TO SEEK RESPECT AND THE THOUGHT OF BEING APPRECIATED THROUGH PLAYING RECORDS????

BAFFLES ME ALL THE TIME, IVE HEARD LADS SAY I HATE THIS RECORD THEN THEY PLAY IT OUT WHEN DJING BECAUSE ITS A FLOORFILLER. FOR FOOKS GET SOME ORIGINALITY!!

ALL TOGETHER NOW 'BUY WHAT YOU LIKE PLAY WHAT YOU LIKE' !!! smile.gif

UNLESS YOUR GETTING AT LEAST ONE BOOKING A WEEK FOR £250 A TIME ?!??? ohmy.gif

GOODNIGHT

DAZ

Social source share

Usual shit spoken on here again, DJ's have always chased each other, were the f--k did your cover up come from, yes penny now dropping rolleyes.gif it was to try and stop the chase.

Now LF has a silly price all you who are slagging it off can put yours up for sale, then it might end up in home that appreciates it, there's at least 2 DJ's still after a copy, I'm not one of them by the way.

Best post on here to me.....it's so easy to come on here and slag someone off for paying over the odds for a record.....have you never wanted something so badly, that you have paid more than you wanted to own it? I certainly have. And I'll guarantee that the person who bought the Lee Fields loves the record...and as for James saying that you can't copy other DJ's and be a top DJ....sorry mate but that's just bollocks.....I don't know anyone who hasn't heard a record out and gone, wow! that's fantastic, I have to have it....we all hear other people play tunes, and then go out and buy them.....no offence James, but you are playing, and paying big money, for records that have been played to death in the past. And most DJ's wouldn't want them anymore....but because of your age, you don't realise that....Even Butch does it....if you mention a tune to him, and it's quality, and he hasn't heard it played much, he will pick up on it, and will give it a spin....we all use each other....that's why people on here like playlists....so they can copy them...

Phil.

Social source share

Price doesn't effect that, of course not, man...

However, this "Top DJ" thing is a a bit twisted.

"Top DJs" don't pull stunts like this. Pop DJs do, but not a top, rare, underground soul music DJ.

John had three "top pop" DJs bidding for it. Not 3 cool as fook, heavy, heavy soul DJs.

Which is fair enough. Pop music can be good, and great soul records can be popular, don't be ashamed to be a top pop DJ, mate.

_44097795_smashnice_bbc203b.jpg

"Next up, Lee Fields, so get yourselves on the floor. Poptaculous!"

spacer.gif

All the "Top" DJs Soul Sam, Mick H, Ginger, Butch, Ian Wright etc, etc have all bid and won records on the auction or bought great tunes in the last 21 days. IMHO they are TOP DJs who have earned the right, over many years to be classed as such.

They are also 5 very nice guys, which also makes them TOP.

As for the price for they may or may not have lifted Lee Fields to, I can reveal 4 of them most probably would have given me trades of spare or unwanted records.

4 are TOP "Old School" DJs who have serious buying power with us, because they all have huge amounts of surplus vinyl that is great. Thus if they need a record they will go heavy, as in real terms most of the time the records they trade-in cost a fraction of what I give them in "Store credit".

James, when you can clear out a cupboard in your former "school staff room" or "your locker in the city" of 6,000+ rare soul 45s and drop them on my office floor. You'll have enough "store credit" you go a little wild...if you fancy it.

PS you are certainly dead-right on this point. None of the above mentioned are ".. cool as fook, heavy, heavy soul DJs " but then again I don't think any of them are trying to be...that's why they are TOP!

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

"All the "Top" DJs Soul Sam, Mick H, Ginger, Butch, Ian Wright etc, etc have all bid and won records on the auction or bought great tunes in the last 21 days. IMHO they are TOP DJs who have earned the right, over many years to be classed as such.

They are also 5 very nice guys, which also makes them TOP.

As for the price for they may or may not have lifted Lee Fields to, I can reveal 4 of them most probably would have given me trades of spare or unwanted records.

4 are TOP "Old School" DJs who have serious buying power with us, because they all have huge amounts of surplus vinyl that is great. Thus if they need a record they will go heavy, as in real terms most of the time the records they trade-in cost a fraction of what I give them in "Store credit".

James, when you can clear out a cupboard in your former "school staff room" or "your locker in the city" of 6,000+ rare soul 45s and drop them on my office floor. You'll have enough "store credit" you go a little wild...if you fancy it.

PS you are certainly dead-right on this point. None of the above mentioned are ".. cool as fook, heavy, heavy soul DJs " but then again I don't think any of them are trying to be...that's why they are TOP! "

Come on John, Wrighty and Butch did not bid any where near £750 on Lee Fields if at all, don't be daft, that's a lie to imply that they may have. Sam may have, and that's understandable, he DJs a lot, and enjoys playing to the soul night crowd and probably gets requests to play it every weekend. But I'd be surprised if he paid £750 for it as he would have been looking at the £50 copies many times over in the past couple of years. And if he didnt buy it then, but is buying it now to play, well, sorry Sam, that's pretty poncy and I'd ask him to his face if he played it now why he didn't buy it when it was £50 but is buying it now that Butch has made it popular? And if Sam didn't bid any where near £750 for it, John, you are wrong to use his name here to justify "three top DJs".

Maybe Mick bid it up, maybe he won it, read my comment about a collector may have missed out on it, and thought 'sod it' I'll win it because I can. Which is cool, he's a rich eccentric who drives around in Vauxhall when he could have a Bentley if he sold a few records. But I can guarantee, he isn't buying it because he wants to fill a dance floor with a tune that BUTCH broke.

Ginger may well have won it, and he's a great guy, but he's the popular choice of the masses. He's hardly breaking new ground, when was the last 'new' tune he broke? I mean, seriously, he's a top guy, but he's playing Elipsis because it's popular. If he liked that sound why isn't he pulling out other jazz funk tunes to spin like the likes of Sam, Butch and Mick do? Because he's a pop' DJ who gets his buzz from ramming the floor with popular tracks. And he's good at it. But for me, well, read my above comments...

And John, your '6000 records in the cupboard gives you a little store credit' comment, that's a bit mincy. Whether you have a million quid in records under the bed, or a million quid in the bank in cash, it's the same thing. Trades are the same as cash. The value of something is not what the person paid for it, it's what they can sell it for. That logic you are using is a nice little dealer trick to get records out of collectors who may not realise, or be in a position to realise the value of records that the dealer may be able to.

And I agree with Quinvy, but hey, this Lee Fields situation is a little extreme, even more so than the Johnny Howard, Jo Jama, Hamilton Movement etc, as there have been many chances to buy it, and some very recently. The question, and it is an uncomfortable one for some to answer, is why is it so much now, when there have been many, many copies available recently. These "top DJs" that John talks about, should surely be breaking new ground now, rather than chasing Butch's coat tails? That's the point. I also refer you to my last sentence in my first post re: rich eccentric collector who may have missed it and now just thinks "sod it, I'll buy it now because I can, I'm fed up missing out on copies 'cheap'".

No, I stand by my comments with direct reference to this Lee Fields auction. They are only with reference to this Lee Fields auction, as it is an extreme case and an interesting case, and asks questions that may be uncomfortable, but important questions none the less...

Is it something to be celebrated, like John seems to in his auction descriptions ("the power of the northern soul DJ" etc etc), or is it something to be derided and laughed at?

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Is it something to be celebrated, like John seems to in his auction descriptions ("the power of the northern soul DJ" etc etc), or is it something to be derided and laughed at?

James, something like Lee Fields works on two levels. It may he hashed out at the main upfront venues - Butch and Andy D have been playing it for ages etc. we all know that. Searling played it at Wigan in 75 etc. But at the smaller local venues round here it still gets plays and isn't seen as chasing anyone's coat-tails or second rate or pop, nor is it a bad reflection on the DJ at all. It fills the floor, the punters love it etc etc. and of course it's a great little record. As far as I am aware the only people that play it round Herts/ Beds / N London northern clubs are Dave Fleming (when he DJs which ain't that often), and myself. Hardly played out or pop then, and I'd wager the same is true in other local areas up and down the land. Not everyone goes to Lifeline or Burnley, so I really don't think you can class people playing it as "pop DJs" or chasing Butch's (or Andy Dyson's) coat-tails.

I thought about your comments and of course largely agree that DJ's should be breaking new sounds when they can, but we all know you can't do that all night most places (anywwhere in the UK?). In fact you yourself, I understand, use The Tamangoes and Salvadors in your sets - surely the most overplayed totally played out quality oldie of all time? - with the possible exception of "Cause your mine" (equally an excellent record). "Stick by me baby"? "Stick it in yer garage" more like!

As for the "Top DJ's" bidding on this I don't know who these are nor do I care, preferring to allow them to spend their money (or trades) on whatever they like without ridicule - even if the price is very high and a bit of a shock to us. They're adults and presumably know what they're doing with their cash (or trades), and it's not for us to tell them how to spend it or ridicule them.

Now where's me copy of The Tomangoes then?

Social source share

So much bitchin' about a record that SOMEONE else bought? you would think that most of these posts were from people who didnt get near winning it.

Hey if someone wants to buy a record at a certain price thats there business, after all if YOUR £20 record is fetching say £500+ then it just puts up the value of your record.

I dont see anyone on here selling their copy of Lee Fields for £50 and if they did, the same people on here slagging of the buyer of JMs item would then turn on the one who sold it for £50 telling them they could of got over £500+ for it.

I have paid what would be considered high prices for records but have bought more low value ones than high value ones, but now my £1 to £5 records are at least selling for £10 to £20 so itsa all relative.

Heaven forbid if you go to sell your terraced or semi detached house for say £120,000 and the bloke comes around to view and tells you its not worth it as this type of house used to sell for £20,000 not long ago and all the estate agents in the area had at least 10 for sale.

I have not got a Lee Fields, but hey I can live with that, I do have however an unreleased......Blah Blah Blah and an unknown.....Blah blah.........etc etc.

The Man In Black

Social source share

Guest bradcam

Until I read James' post I thought I may have been a bit harsh referring to the bidders as "Morons" but to reiterate what appears to be the majority view Im sure a "top" dj would have used £700+ to better effect if the ethos is to keep ahead of the crowd.

Can't see the point of spending that amount of money on a 45 everybody was talking about 6 months [or whenever] ago when you coulda bought something people will be talking about in 6 months time.

ROD

Exactly. You could buy at least 70 much better records that are under appreciated and better quality and go on holiday and get sweeties and cleaning products... wink.gif

Maybe the guy was just back from a high roller in Vegas, maybe his missus bought it and knocked the sh*t out of it with a jackhammer in front of him due to an infidelity. Dirty boy! no.gif

Social source share

I read all the comments and still don't quite get it. If you're a collector and want this for your collection and have the cash, fine, it's your money, and in my mind it's better than p*ssing it up against a wall. I just don't get the "top D.J." bit, this aint a slur on JM either, coz the auction doesn't just contain this months must have 45's, but also some really interesting, underplayed discs. Elements of this thread sums up a view I have had about a large part of the upper echelons of this "scene" for a few Years i.e. "played out, expensive bits of plastic, played by D.J.'s with very little imagination".If these inspirational D.J.'s are so keen to be up there, start "crate digging", making more of an effort to find something fresh to bring to the party, and then having the balls to play them. It's difficult to find respect for people with more credit cards than brains, that have to be spoon fed "top tunes" to play to us, the paying punter - stop dumming down Northern Soul.

Des Parker

Social source share

Exactly. You could buy at least 70 much better records that are under appreciated and better quality and go on holiday and get sweeties and cleaning products... wink.gif

Maybe the guy was just back from a high roller in Vegas, maybe his missus bought it and knocked the sh*t out of it with a jackhammer in front of him due to an infidelity. Dirty boy! no.gif

Come on - Wigans Ovation would have been severe enough for that offence!!!

Paul

Social source share

So what do we think dealers will be wanting for this 45 set sale now? Or has it been elevated to a definite auction piece?

ps. A similar Lee Fields situation happened with The Sherrell Bros recently on Pat's auction but on a smaller scale....

Edited by mulf
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

James, something like Lee Fields works on two levels. It may he hashed out at the main upfront venues - Butch and Andy D have been playing it for ages etc. we all know that. Searling played it at Wigan in 75 etc. But at the smaller local venues round here it still gets plays and isn't seen as chasing anyone's coat-tails or second rate or pop, nor is it a bad reflection on the DJ at all. It fills the floor, the punters love it etc etc. and of course it's a great little record. As far as I am aware the only people that play it round Herts/ Beds / N London northern clubs are Dave Fleming (when he DJs which ain't that often), and myself. Hardly played out or pop then, and I'd wager the same is true in other local areas up and down the land. Not everyone goes to Lifeline or Burnley, so I really don't think you can class people playing it as "pop DJs" or chasing Butch's (or Andy Dyson's) coat-tails.

I thought about your comments and of course largely agree that DJ's should be breaking new sounds when they can, but we all know you can't do that all night most places (anywwhere in the UK?). In fact you yourself, I understand, use The Tamangoes and Salvadors in your sets - surely the most overplayed totally played out quality oldie of all time? - with the possible exception of "Cause your mine" (equally an excellent record). "Stick by me baby"? "Stick it in yer garage" more like!

As for the "Top DJ's" bidding on this I don't know who these are nor do I care, preferring to allow them to spend their money (or trades) on whatever they like without ridicule - even if the price is very high and a bit of a shock to us. They're adults and presumably know what they're doing with their cash (or trades), and it's not for us to tell them how to spend it or ridicule them.

Now where's me copy of The Tomangoes then?

Well, quite. But it's in the context of this auction alone Steve, as has clearly been stated. Why would a "top DJ" pay £750 for it when it has been available on a number of occasions for a fraction of that price. It's not as if it's been kept a secret, is it.

And of course it is a good record. But this is in the context of a £750 auction compared to the price it has regularly been sold at.

And it is 'pop', it's a popular record. And it's popularity and the desire for a DJ to buy a popular record and fill the florr with a popular in vogue record is what has created this mad dash to own a copy at all costs. Is this to be celebrated, or derided?

It is in no way, as has clearly been stated, a criticism of the record itself. So best not try to twist it into that, hey :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I read all the comments and still don't quite get it. If you're a collector and want this for your collection and have the cash, fine, it's your money, and in my mind it's better than p*ssing it up against a wall. I just don't get the "top D.J." bit, this aint a slur on JM either, coz the auction doesn't just contain this months must have 45's, but also some really interesting, underplayed discs. Elements of this thread sums up a view I have had about a large part of the upper echelons of this "scene" for a few Years i.e. "played out, expensive bits of plastic, played by D.J.'s with very little imagination".If these inspirational D.J.'s are so keen to be up there, start "crate digging", making more of an effort to find something fresh to bring to the party, and then having the balls to play them. It's difficult to find respect for people with more credit cards than brains, that have to be spoon fed "top tunes" to play to us, the paying punter - stop dumming down Northern Soul.

Des Parker

Exactly. It's not a critisism of the money spent on it. It's the "top DJ" desperately chasing a copy bit, I assume to play out, that is just mind boggling.

I hope it's John doing a bit of salesmanship and it's a rich eccentric collector buying it. That's cool, the price is irrelevant.

But if it's a "top DJ" chasing it, it's the lack of imagination that is, well, just really perverse and twisted.

Butch broke the tune, leave it for him to play. Find something else to squeeze into your 30 or 45 minute set. It's not as if anyone DJs for more than a few minutes on the UK soul scene so it's not exactly hard to put an interesting set together, is it? Or is it? :thumbsup:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Butch broke the tune, leave it for him to play. Find something else to squeeze into your 30 or 45 minute set. It's not as if anyone DJs for more than a few minutes on the UK soul scene so it's not exactly hard to put an interesting set together, is it? Or is it? :thumbsup:

Social source share

I think most are missing the point here, though maybe one person touched on it - not all dj's can have one-offs and mega rarities. Back in the old days, there were these things known as "top sounds" where all of the dj's would be after the same 20 or so record at one particular moment and this is what made a record massive nationwide instead of just locally. If the Lee Fields record is big in say London, then obviously a DJ in York will want it because he will be getting asked for it by his local punters. I know you're struggling with the words 'top dj' but the most popular (i.e. busy) dj's would probably have to arm themselves with a copy to keep the crowd happy.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert