Patrice Holloway

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi Harry,

Apparently withdrawn and destroyed due to 'contractual difficulties'. Funnily enough, JM has one for auction on his page at the mo:

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/auction/all-auction

Patrice Holloway - VIP is thought to be only the second copy that has ever to have been offered for sale.

The other copy (E-bay listing) of some years ago, now resides in France, and is rumoured to be cracked (no sure if that's true, as I never asked Gil about his copy or the condition).

We think, it's a pretty remarkable slab of Frank Wilson Northern Soul, it was certainly very well received at Moortown, and sounds fabulous over a system and yes of course it was the same copy as is on auction, i thought it needed to be heard before it gets swallowed up in a collection, and possibly lost forever.

Social source share

Patrice Holloway - VIP is thought to be only the second copy that has ever to have been offered for sale.

The other copy (E-bay listing) of some years ago, now resides in France, and is rumoured to be cracked (no sure if that's true, as I never asked Gil about his copy or the condition).

We think, it's a pretty remarkable slab of Frank Wilson Northern Soul, it was certainly very well received at Moortown, and sounds fabulous over a system and yes of course it was the same copy as is on auction, i thought it needed to be heard before it gets swallowed up in a collection, and possibly lost forever.

Blimey, V.I.P.'s turned into the ultimate rarity label hasn't it?

Ian D :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Sounds 100% better, if thats possible, played out! Thanks for that John, it has a lovely echo-y haunting quality over a system. Brilliant!

Social source share

The first copy offerred I'm aware of was via 'Discoveries' magazine in the early 90's.

It was indeed cracked and went to the very same French gentlemen.

Pretty typical dreamy-poppy-Motown-mid-tempo with a fine pedigree, but if it wasn't rare it wouldn't fall into Motown collector's Top 50 lists...imo.

:boxing:

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Was talking to a friend about this record the other day, and he knows a woman who picked up this 45 at a record show in Chicago a few years back.

Possibly a third copy exists or maybe it's the one that has already been sold?

if you're talking about Bob Miner, when he talks about "a few years back" it means like in the 80s. He's always like "we were at a flea market a few years ago and the seller had quantity of the classics on yan-g and four gents on encore" and I'm like "when was that" and he's like "early 80s".

Social source share

if you're talking about Bob Miner, when he talks about "a few years back" it means like in the 80s. He's always like "we were at a flea market a few years ago and the seller had quantity of the classics on yan-g and four gents on encore" and I'm like "when was that" and he's like "early 80s".

I did hear the story from him first, but I've heard it from a few other people too.

Social source share

I did hear the story from him first, but I've heard it from a few other people too.

We know a Detroit collector with a copy, he found it the same day he found the Andantes & a Frank Wilson studio acetate in a box in Detroit along with other mind-blowing items. He kindly provided the scans for the "Million $ Book"

We stated only the second copy ever to come up for sale, IE auction, a genuine set sale listing etc. To our knowledge it is only the second time it's been offered worldwide.

We know of 3 genuine copies, 1 is alledgedly cracked.

Bob Miner is always correct with his stories but like many of us a few years back can mean the 70s or 80s. But he was one of the premier Motown collectors in the world so he would remember a Patrice Holloway "find" no matter how long ago it was.

Social source share

Surely you're not all talking about the track above? If so, the reason there's only 3 copies is because the rest were melted down due to it being so crap. The other side is better.

You're dead-right Pete that recording is utter crap.

Investigation shows our copy had the labels reversed. That why we listed the title as "Boy Of My Dreams" which is pretty awful.

go to label A-Z page 4.

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/rarest-of-the-rare/4

Edited by john manship
Social source share

I can see why someone with dosh would pay 4 grand for that it's great, obviously super-rare and cute with it. Did a DJ buy it to share it out with us plebs John?

Aidey,

That's the real shame about it, there were no UK DJs in the running. Which puzzled me as you would have thought an exclusive of the calibre would have been hotly fought over.

It sadly went back top the USA. Runner-up bidders we're serious Motown collectors.

John

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert