How Rare Is This?

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Never been that tough to find on a WD...stock copy anyone?

The STOCK copies have white labels, perfsonally I can't rememeber selling a demo?

Popsike reveals 4 stockers, all over £125... top price being a knackered copy with battered label with writing on @£215.

Well sell Melvin Elling - Mint @ £200 and have no problem in moving it.

I never knew the flipside, as you say it's fabulous. two great sides one terrific label.

Social source share

top price being a knackered copy with battered label with writing on @£215.

Well sell Melvin Elling - Mint @ £200 and have no problem in moving it.

So we say it's £125, you say it's £200, we can't sell it and you can sell it all day.

This world is f*cked up.

Social source share

The STOCK copies have white labels, perfsonally I can't rememeber selling a demo?

I've seen other releases on the label with a light-blue label, thus there is a chance the white ones are demos...with no mention of them being a demo...no need for a second run being required when the flood of orders for stock came through at the time...which they obviously didn't!

biggrin.gif

Social source share

i'm with albert. baseball player on label, producer's use of the name willie (not william, bill, billy) when willie mccovey the baseball player was HUGE back then...adds up to that being THE willie mccovey, though i'll admit i'd never heard of his being involved in music. do you know for sure, marc, that there was another willie mccovey?

Social source share

Mark,

Stretch is a San Francisco label. Willie McCoy played baseball for 19 seasons in San Francisco, so I think it's pretty fair to assume it's the same guy, seeing as the label logo is a baseball player.

Dave,

Stretch light blue label? I've personally never ever seen another record on the STRETCH label (certainly not with the baseball logo) until one turns up with PROMO text or a different coloured label, surely Melvin Elling white label must be classed as stock copy, doesn't it? Unless like Freddie Chavez a blue baby, is found.

PS just curious what other artist is on Stretch?

Edited by john manship
Social source share

The evidence all points to the Willie McCovey being the backer of this record. A high profile case of a US sports star being involved in independent soul music business is Jim Brown's financial backing of Way Out records in Cleveland: they even gave him his custom Big Jim label (The Occasions & Bobby Wade 45s). There must be at least a few more examples...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert