Whats Acceptable

why whats the differnce, soul do or scooter do.. most of my friends are scooterist and soulies and attend both types of do, and they should be treated with the same respect where ever they go.. if I dj for them say at Exeter Soul club I play Originals when they come to the IOW I play originals.. just because they are going on a rally they don't loose thier knowledge and I don't lose my respect for the music either...

if I ain't got it on an original I won't play it.. rolleyes.gif

I also think this is why scooter do's can get stuck in a time warp, dj's should give them some thing new.. like the northern scene.. wink.gif

its not a lack of respect i try to do both unknown and classics,depends on the gig....at a rally such as hemsby that has a dedicated soul room i will be playing all originals and tryin to play something new.....but at club dos for exit 17 and radstock devils i get asked for the big tunes i can only afford on a boot....if i tell them ive left it at home cos its not original it wouldnt go down well and they wouldnt have such a good night or ask me back....not everyone is a collector who wants to hear a set of new stuff they wouldnt give a shit if i had a 3 cd box set from tesco !...last time i played radstock i got asked for the snake....twice !...and by twice i mean id already played it once and the dancefloor was still full...

Social source share

• Replies 163
  • Views 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

by the way i know the snake is not an expensive tune....just used it as an example of how they didnt give a shit about soul politics....big tunes i get asked for at local scooter dos are rita and the tiaras,mel britt etc....could play them killer semi known originals by malina mars,ruby and the romantics,barbara and brenda ,esquires etc but they wouldnt like it all night...

Social source share

Takes balls o' steel to say all that on here Ian - even if you are a 'Northern Soul' Leg End or Stalwart of sorts!

Didn't tha know there's, nowadays, a set of 'RULES' in force?

Not like when we were lads, just having a kick about in street!

It's a bit like being int' football league. Thas got to play by rules.

Tha can't be goin just playing good n' tasty Soul music we're ever tha likes!

Tha's got to earn thi stripes wi payin' thru nose for t'old vinyl jobby's!

Only proper stuff mind!

We'll be having none of that there 'techno 'eresy' amongst us Northern Soul types.

If t'old vinyl was good enough for me grandad, it's good enough for me (and thee) I'll have thi know!

:)

You couldn't make it up Ian.

Well said, to all of the above!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

30 years ago I'd have lynched myself LOL. Records redundant? Forget it mate and screw you would've been my attitude back then!

But it's a bit like fiddling whilst Rome burns or sticking a finger in a dyke a hoping the water won't burst through etc, etc.

I'm closer to the changes which are going on 'cos I've been making a living in the music biz for the last 35 years and there is absolutely no doubt that a revolution has happened for better or worse with the result that physical formats are rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

There is no doubt that vinyl is dead as a format - the stats don't lie and pressing plants aren't closing for no reason. So there's no point is pussyfooting around really. You can either embrace the changes and try and be positive about it or bury your head in the sand and hope it'll all go away, which it won't.

My prediction is that the collector's scene will obviously continue in much the same way that serious collectors of any scene continue whether it's Doo-Wop, Rock N' Roll or Psych etc, etc. But it will be a rarified circle of people and probably a very exclusive club for those who can afford to indulge themselves.

My concern is really for the future health of a brilliant scene which has existed for the last 40 years. It seems that the scene is not really attracting any new generations of youth apart from some odd pockets around the country that don't seem to carry the same baggage as the rest of the scene. Part of the baggage is undoubtably the hardened attitudes towards certain areas of the scene which I guess is what this thread is all about.

The youth of today don't particularly CARE about what format a tune is delivered on. They just want to hear great music coming out of the speakers. If that music is determined by whether someone has a grand or two spare to buy an expensive original or whether a record is actually a lousy record but incredibly rare, then the scene will eventually disappear up it's own arse and implode.

Easy for me to say as I don't make a living from the scene and these days I'm merely an observer who can look at things with a degree of objectivity. Plus, as many people keep pointing out, this is a consistantly repeating theme with these threads creeping up every few weeks on here, so obviously many people are considering these issues all the time. So don't shoot the messenger LOL! :lol:

Maybe it's time to review things. It should always be about the music first and foremost and sometimes it seems that this has been forgotten.

OK, where's that ticket to Coventry......... :D

Ian D :D

Social source share

30 years ago I'd have lynched myself LOL. Records redundant? Forget it mate and screw you would've been my attitude back then!

But it's a bit like fiddling whilst Rome burns or sticking a finger in a dyke a hoping the water won't burst through etc, etc.

I'm closer to the changes which are going on 'cos I've been making a living in the music biz for the last 35 years and there is absolutely no doubt that a revolution has happened for better or worse with the result that physical formats are rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

There is no doubt that vinyl is dead as a format - the stats don't lie and pressing plants aren't closing for no reason. So there's no point is pussyfooting around really. You can either embrace the changes and try and be positive about it or bury your head in the sand and hope it'll all go away, which it won't.

My prediction is that the collector's scene will obviously continue in much the same way that serious collectors of any scene continue whether it's Doo-Wop, Rock N' Roll or Psych etc, etc. But it will be a rarified circle of people and probably a very exclusive club for those who can afford to indulge themselves.

My concern is really for the future health of a brilliant scene which has existed for the last 40 years. It seems that the scene is not really attracting any new generations of youth apart from some odd pockets around the country that don't seem to carry the same baggage as the rest of the scene. Part of the baggage is undoubtably the hardened attitudes towards certain areas of the scene which I guess is what this thread is all about.

The youth of today don't particularly CARE about what format a tune is delivered on. They just want to hear great music coming out of the speakers. If that music is determined by whether someone has a grand or two spare to buy an expensive original or whether a record is actually a lousy record but incredibly rare, then the scene will eventually disappear up it's own arse and implode.

Easy for me to say as I don't make a living from the scene and these days I'm merely an observer who can look at things with a degree of objectivity. Plus, as many people keep pointing out, this is a consistantly repeating theme with these threads creeping up every few weeks on here, so obviously many people are considering these issues all the time. So don't shoot the messenger LOL! :lol:

Maybe it's time to review things. It should always be about the music first and foremost and sometimes it seems that this has been forgotten.

OK, where's that ticket to Coventry......... :)

================

Great post thumbsup.gif

Time to reach for the greater good?

Winnie :-)

Social source share

Ian you mention pockets of the UK scene that have no hangups . Where are they ? ph34r.gif

Apparently Brighton has a healthy little scene, parts of Europe and that James Trouble gig in London was OK t'other week wasn't it?

Prestatyn was OK too but a distinct lack of youngsters apart from a couple of local Prestatyn girls who 'go to everything that happens @ the holiday camp' LOL....

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Apparently Brighton has a healthy little scene, parts of Europe and that James Trouble gig in London was OK t'other week wasn't it?

Prestatyn was OK too but a distinct lack of youngsters apart from a couple of local Prestatyn girls who 'go to everything that happens @ the holiday camp' LOL....

Ian D :lol:

Yeah but they all play OV and carvers dont they? laugh.gif anyway have you used that Laptop yet :)

Social source share

I LIKE THIS :D

where do we get the dodgy 12 inchers from? ph34r.gif

Frank!!!! A master from my past discussing non use of vinyl ...... Noooooooooo!!!

its not right, those cold horrible shiny silver things and abbreviated little cyber boxes must not take over the world of soul, we need the sleek 7 and 12 inches of black velvet with pretty labels, that have pops crackles and little hisses, everyone tells a story of history of where it was aquired and by whom, each one with a different price tag, wonders of whose handwriting appears on some labels and sleeve notes.

We want to continue to applade those that set them up at the wrong speed and play the wrong side, it gives us a titter in our world of perfection and keeps D jays at a level that proves and reminds them they are still human.

Frank go and have a lay down in your record room, take in the sweet aroma of vinyl until all is at one with the world again. Keep collecting, keep filing and sorting, theres nothing else to do worth doing that 20 million other people aren't doing already.

PS If you don't I'm telling Mary :lol::):D

No.....please.....mercy.....threaten me with anything but whatever you do but DON'T TELL MARY!!! :D

And I've been smelling the sweet aroma of my record room for the last 3 days thankyou very much...cough....sneeze....splutter.....

And other people don't have my taste in music thank God! Now where's that FANTASTIC unreleased Dynamics track..........?

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

From my perspective, I am looking to press 45's for the material I have masters for. After wandering around central London in April doing some research, it seems that record shops can make a decent living from selling up to 85% vinyl. If I price my stuff correctly, fans of the style of music and format may be interested in buying one or all the songs. The 7" is a 'romantic' format to me now even though, it is current. It must be current, because it is in the shops and for sale, and most important, being purchased. The price of pressing the 45's, shipping, duty, p & P etc, makes it a nightmare compared to 7Digital mp3 downloads, but I see some worth in a physical product and am prepard to take the risk in engineering the release on 7".

Social source share

From my perspective, I am looking to press 45's for the material I have masters for. After wandering around central London in April doing some research, it seems that record shops can make a decent living from selling up to 85% vinyl. If I price my stuff correctly, fans of the style of music and format may be interested in buying one or all the songs. The 7" is a 'romantic' format to me now even though, it is current. It must be current, because it is in the shops and for sale, and most important, being purchased. The price of pressing the 45's, shipping, duty, p & P etc, makes it a nightmare compared to 7Digital mp3 downloads, but I see some worth in a physical product and am prepard to take the risk in engineering the release on 7".

this lot were saying that a very arty design sells 7'' records smile.gif

https://www.portalspacerecords.com/da/13006

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

if for the sake of arguement the digital age wass embraced...do we have digital dj's too ph34r.gif afterall there would be no need for the likes of Butch, Andy Dysons, Soul Sam & Gingers.

If it did happen I think it would probably see the end of any discoveries as I doubt the collector DJ's who keep the newies scene alive probably wouldn't bother anymore with the djing and juist return to collecting only.

Social source share

Dont think the soul nite crowd are to concerned about what format the music is played on not all of course but a good few,but as for all niters unless its unreleased it should be original only imo .

I think you are doing the soul nite attendees a dis-service Andy, many them/us are also purists and support venues with OVO policies out of principle.

QoFxx

Social source share

My collecting preference is for first/local issued releases (mainly vinyl) and I love em.

I used to be very het up about original format at events, especially when I saw a recognized DJ playing either a boot or reissue knowing I had the original, but now I'm more relaxed when going out. When you're at a do, unless you stand hovering over the decks all night, excluding specific named DJ's, do you truly know what format a tune will be played on? After being on the dance floor, you walk over to the decks and see that no vinyl is spinning, you may feel despondent, but at the time you were dancing did it matter? Aren't we going back to the grey area of DJ vs. Collector?

What are people's views on Chuck Jacksons What's With This Loneliness or Carla Thomas I'll Never Stop Loving You. These were unreleased tracks that were originally put out on CD format. The vinyl releases came a time after their original releases, so weren't they re-issued on vinyl to fill a demand, such as the 100 Club Anniversary? So with these singles it's a rarity thing rather than a original release thing, as there were probably more CD's pressed.

What you can be sure of is that there are certain DJ's who will always be at the forefront of new/rare stuff that wouldn't be booted or released on a CD anyway. If DJ's are honest and clear about what formats they play then punters can make their own mind up whether to attend that night.

Social source share

if for the sake of arguement the digital age wass embraced...do we have digital dj's too ph34r.gif afterall there would be no need for the likes of Butch, Andy Dysons, Soul Sam & Gingers.

If it did happen I think it would probably see the end of any discoveries as I doubt the collector DJ's who keep the newies scene alive probably wouldn't bother anymore with the djing and juist return to collecting only.

Things change Chalky.

I went to a Summer weekend do in Somerset a couple of years ago and was amazed to see a guy dressed up in a dinner suit playing a wind up victorola player with original 78's in the corner of a marquee with a couple of people watching him.

It was very pleasant and a refreshing change and somehow very civilized on a Sunday evening in August. So I went up and had a natter with him. He was obviously an eccentric but totally believed in what he was doing and said that almost all of his bookings were for the quaint novelty value of having him there rather than the actual music he played (which was 30's/40's stuff). He said that he'd always been interested in 'old' things and loved the aesthetic qualities and ethos of utlizing the victorola and 78's and that his main problem was keeping the several victorolas he had in good working order. He said he got most of his 78's free 'cos people chucked 'em out 'cos they couldn't play 'em anymore!

It was kinda sad and touching and definitely a throwback to a bygone era.

And then I moved down to the main marquee where 500 people were dancing to a regular DJ and realised that you can't hold back change no matter how romantic it may be.

I'm optmistic. I don't think a mere format change will be enough to kill a scene. There'll probably be even more good stuff unearthed which has never come out before because of the previous expense of releasing it in a physical format. Kent seem to be unearthing stuff along with a lot of other people, so all that will happen is that the scene will mutate along with peoples attitudes hopefully.

Not an easy change though LOL.....

Social source share

THERES MORE THAN ENOUGH RECORDS TO PLAY THAT ARE NOT ON CDS

LOOKING AT MY COLLECTION WELL IVE GOT CD SINGLES WITH NO VIYNAL RELEASE OR EXTRA ALTERNATIVE MIXES

CD ONLY RELEASES

AND MP3 DOWNLOAD ONLY!

WHY BOTHER WITH A CARVER , BOOT, ILEGAL 12 JUST BECAUSE ITS VYNAL !

PLAY IT FROM ITS ORIGANAL FORMAT

BTW THE PATRICK HENRY CD HAS MORE THAN ONE GREAT TRACK

Social source share

Not sure why everyone is getting wound up by this topic yet again.....

Play it on original or carver if it's an acetate/cover up :yes: .

If you don't have an original, don't play it. Play something else.

Balls to this "it doesn't matter what format it's on" malarky espoused exclusively by those without the vinyl or the Sad Girl / Snake / Frank Wilson fraternity.

Elsewhere there's a load of moaning going on about too many DJ's....well lets have a cull of those:

who don't have the records for a start.

We can then expand it to include DJs

a) who can't read a dancefloor

cool.gif who don't play something exciting

c) who can't use a mike

d) who are unable to consistently cue up records without loads of dead air time or needles falling off the record.

A simple but radical solution methinks. thumbup.gif:D:D

Social source share

Took my test pressin' LP to Middleton to play "drop the bucket" cant find it now might have left it i dont know,but what i do know not taking LPs no more, carvers next time i'll tell ya' sad.gif

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

why whats the differnce, soul do or scooter do.. most of my friends are scooterist and soulies and attend both types of do, and they should be treated with the same respect where ever they go.. if I dj for them say at Exeter Soul club I play Originals when they come to the IOW I play originals.. just because they are going on a rally they don't loose thier knowledge and I don't lose my respect for the music either...

if I ain't got it on an original I won't play it.. rolleyes.gif

I also think this is why scooter do's can get stuck in a time warp, dj's should give them some thing new.. like the northern scene.. :g:

Too bloody right too Paul :D

This year at Sandford scooter rally in Dorset had to be one of the best northern rooms musically ive attended for a fooking long time and i aint just saying that cos i djd there it seemed all the djs upped the ante and played some cracking oldies, under heard etc etc right through to newies and all on original vynil (except 1 dj :D ) and the feedback from everyone was brilliant so why fooking cheat just use your collection and imagination and get the buzz out of giving the punters some cracking music they may or may not know but do it the original why i say :yes:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Balls to this "it doesn't matter what format it's on" malarky espoused exclusively by those without the vinyl or the Sad Girl / Snake / Frank Wilson fraternity.

Elsewhere there's a load of moaning going on about too many DJ's....well lets have a cull of those:

c) who can't use a mike

d) who are unable to consistently cue up records without loads of dead air time or needles falling off the record.

well thats me fooked then :g:

Social source share

Would this be the Kenny Burrell/Tim Brown OVO fraternity?

or the got it on a re-issue mate fraternity? rolleyes.gif

Threads like this remind of a line spoken by Daniel Craig in The Road To Perdition :-

"It's all so f**king hilarious!!"

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

Personally I couldn't give a toss what the format is as long as its a good tune. The problem in my eyes is that (from limited experience admittedly) the CD tracks that are played are invariably from the scarce end of things. There are hundreds of legit cds - never mind CDRs that a mates done for you - with good quality, underplayed oldies on. Bear in mind that few of us can afford to buy big rarites so these are the tracks we collect, nothing worth thousands but good solid £10 - £100 tracks.

Play some of those instead of pretending you have a mega rarity, I think that wouldn't bother as many people as playing the unobtainable from CD?

I also think this is why scooter do's can get stuck in a time warp, dj's should give them some thing new.. like the northern scene.. wink.gif

Been there, spent the last six or seven years trying (not just with soul either) and have finally hung up my headphones in disgust at the response I've invariably had. Played to death? They love it. Scooter rally oldie? Ditto. Something in the same vein as either of the above but not played to death at scooterist events? Hello empty dance floor.....

You want to tell me whats wrong with tracks such as Double Life, Mr Big Shot or pretty much anything by The Olympics?* All floor killers, maybe the odd phet'ed up soulie taking advantage of the space he's suddenly found himself in.

Play The Snake and they're pretty much fighting to get on the dance floor.

Wall, head, bang. Repeat.

I give in.

*Look, you can take the pish all you like, I like that stuff!

Social source share

c) who can't use a mike

Well put ,been saying this for a while now original Vinyl so many records to choose

from

Would this mean less Djs thus less venues

Steve A.

Social source share

its true...a handful of scooterists complain on forums about the music all being the same old stuff....but last year at margate one of the djs played a wicked indie track "alarm clock" cant remember who by (even though i got it !) and it cleared the floor....played a punk/new wave standard from 1980 and a full floor again.....you gotta remember "most" scooterists are music fans second....their scoot and getting legless with mates is the most important thing.....and nuffin wrong wi that

ive had scoots off and on since 84 and although i dont do many rallies anymore will never get rid of mine and most of my mates have them.....but im a music fan first.....exmouth rally or kings hall allnighter....no competion...see you in stoke !!

Social source share

Well put ,been saying this for a while now original Vinyl so many records to choose

from

Would this mean less Djs thus less venues

Steve A.

reading the dancefloor and cueing up should be an obvious requirement.....maybe go back to medieval times and hand out rotting fruit to punters laugh.gif .....or like at the apollo ...crap dj...crowd boo....big bouncers removes said dj

Social source share

Spacehopper maybe we should start a new thread.. but I feel this has grown out of the thread so should be ok..

A few few years ago (sounds like a start to star wars... in a galaxy blah blah blah)

a friend of mine was the first dj to play-push Nolan Porter (Only be sure) at scooter do's and rally's. it used to kill the floor.. the scooter crowd thought it was rare.. and never danced to it... now how many times do you get asked for it?

yes there are the combats and boots brigade out there but every record they like and dance to they had to hear for the first time once!!!

its not educating them its helping them to enjoy there evening so it won't get boring...

Social source share

reading the dancefloor and cueing up should be an obvious requirement.....maybe go back to medieval times and hand out rotting fruit to punters :lol: .....or like at the apollo ...crap dj...crowd boo....big bouncers removes said dj

Youd be surprised how many "DJs" struggle with these basic concepts

Social source share

Spacehopper maybe we should start a new thread.. but I feel this has grown out of the thread so should be ok..

A few few years ago (sounds like a start to star wars... in a galaxy blah blah blah)

a friend of mine was the first dj to play-push Nolan Porter (Only be sure) at scooter do's and rally's. it used to kill the floor.. the scooter crowd thought it was rare.. and never danced to it... now how many times do you get asked for it?

yes there are the combats and boots brigade out there but every record they like and dance to they had to hear for the first time once!!!

its not educating them its helping them to enjoy there evening so it won't get boring...

yes its true....a great tune but i sometimes wonder if it would have been so popular (at scooter do's) if a certain mr weller hadnt covered it !....there are those that would request the birdie song if hed done a version of it !

according to books(as im too young too have been there myself) in the early/mid seventies even tunes like ann sexton and bob relf cleared the floor at soul events for the first few weeks :lol: ....fear of the unknown...a human condition !

Social source share

Not gettin a dodgy 12" from me :thumbup::D

You can get the original cd from steves soul sounds on the link below though & also listen to the other tracks on the album.

https://www.stevessoulsounds.co.uk/shop/product.asp?xPRODUCTid=647

Nice one thanks, I did have a listen to the tracks honest... but must confess found myself looking and listening to the vinyl that was for sale. :shades::lol::lol:

And also found on another link that Streetsoul records is set to release the track on 7inch from 20th June :lol:

Edited by Sister Dawn
Social source share

Play it on original or carver if it's an acetate/cover up :lol: .

TOTALLY AGREE :D There is plenty of OVO there that's not megga bucks just itching to be played, it's just about making the time and having enthusiasm to root it out, so if you aren't playing ovo its time you got off your backsides and looked for it or get off the decks, leave DJing to the guys like Steve G who have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

c) who can't use a mike

A simple but radical solution methinks. :thumbup::shades::lol:

well thats me fooked then :lol:

.........and me, especially after the haunted left hand deck at blue skies :lol:

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

Youd be surprised how many "DJs" struggle with these basic concepts

Hey Steve . in your blog youve said ... that you like clearing the floor during your spots :thumbup:

can you explain this concept for us :D

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Hey Steve . in your blog youve said ... that you like clearing the floor during your spots :thumbup:

can you explain this concept for us :D

Certainly.

I have been on record as saying that if I clear the floor at least once and maybe twice during a set then I am content that I have pushed the boundaries. In other words if the floor stays full throughout then you've probably played it toooooo safe. It's a risky strategy and the key of course is getting them back onto the floor after you've pushed the boat out. Where I think some fail is they can't read the floor period and so go with a style that clearly isn't working and are seemingly unable to change that - anyway enough about you :shades::lol: . All joking aside Simon (and that was a joke), that is where I draw the distinction - on the one hand clearing the floor for one or two radical things and on the other doing a set that kills a venue dead.

Hope that clarifies.

Steve

Social source share

Why not? Kids are finding and getting into vinyl again, admittedly not on the scale of years gone by but vinyl sales are rising amongst kids. It's the idea of actually having something to hold and cherish rather than a virtual track that is starting to appeal. MP3s, ipods etc are here to stay but vinyl hasn't yet gone away.

Thats a fact, as discussed before on a previous thread. A lot of indie bands etc are releasing on vinyl aswell as other formats and there is definitelt a resurgence happening. :D

Social source share

Certainly.

I have been on record as saying that if I clear the floor at least once and maybe twice during a set then I am content that I have pushed the boundaries. In other words if the floor stays full throughout then you've probably played it toooooo safe. It's a risky strategy and the key of course is getting them back onto the floor after you've pushed the boat out. Where I think some fail is they can't read the floor period and so go with a style that clearly isn't working and are seemingly unable to change that - anyway enough about you :P:D . All joking aside Simon (and that was a joke), that is where I draw the distinction - on the one hand clearing the floor for one or two radical things and on the other doing a set that kills a venue dead.

Hope that clarifies.

Steve

Ahh right ok Steve :wicked: I think anyone can keep a floor busy these days on the NS circuit , just play Cheese and Tomangoes like James Trouble and Sean Chapman :lol:

Social source share

Why not? Kids are finding and getting into vinyl again, admittedly not on the scale of years gone by but vinyl sales are rising amongst kids. It's the idea of actually having something to hold and cherish rather than a virtual track that is starting to appeal. MP3s, ipods etc are here to stay but vinyl hasn't yet gone away.

Thats a fact, as discussed before on a previous thread. A lot of indie bands etc are releasing on vinyl aswell as other formats and there is definitelt a resurgence happening. :)

It's only indie rock 7" vinyl that's selling in 500-1000 copy runs unfortunately. For most record companies it's just not viable anymore.

As an example, when I started the Salsoul reissues in 2003, we were routinely doing 2-3K of the more popular releases - First Choice, Instant Funk, Joe Bataan, Loleatta Holloway etc, etc. By 2006 we were struggling to sell even 500 units (including export) on some hot new mixes or in-demand re-issues. You'd be hard-pressed to find many companies releasing vinyl outside of indie rock these days (apart from small pressing runs on good Soul/Northern soul gear which generally only amount to a few hundred).

Also don't believe all the stats you read - just because there is a slight upward blip on 7" indie rock titles has to measured against the declines of the last 25 years!

Both Independent Pressing (Chris King's old company - boy did he get out at the right time LOL) and Simply Vinyl (the UK's largest vinyl reissue company) crashed this year.

The UK biggest vinyl dealer - Hard To Find Records in Birmingham is now offering 6p a unit for overstock 12" vinyl - aproximately 54p less than it cost to make!

I think there's a message there somehow. :thumbup:

Ian D biggrin.gif

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Ian D :)

I agree it's all about the music and it might seem strange but that's why i say original vinyl only. When people play off CDs or MP3s or boots or whatever they always seem to go for the either the big money classic oldies or the rarity current floorfillers (because they don't own these so it makes sense to them to play them off other formats). Unfortunately what you get is not variety with CDs etc... but everybody playing the same fifty odd current faves. At least with OVO it forces DJs with small or cheap collections to be inventive, play a good mix and be much more adventurous with the music. I'm still waiting for the day when i hear an eclectic and interesting set played using boots and CDs, never heard it yet.

Hope that all makes sense. :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Does nobody use the search site facility?

This discusion must come up at least three times a year with the same answers going round and round in circles.

Gonna say something i thought I'd never say.

I don't give a flying f*ck at a rolling donut anymore.

Play it off whatever you want, just so long as you advertise it on your flyers.

That way i can decide where I want to go without any nasty suprises.

i can see where yer coming from , almost identical discussion last week

Social source share

Carvers, EMI Discs, tapes, compilation cds, mp3s, reissues, pressings, re-recordings etc.

Of course if a soul event announces any format/any soul music before the event, you know what you are getting, (Soul CDs in the sun etc) but has it really become acceptable to not play original vinyl (If thats the tunes first outing) at a Northern Soul event today?

Old thread, but have attitudes changed?

Ed

I dont get out much as everyone knows , but only originals get played in my front room!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert