Whats Acceptable

Yeah sort of Ian , but with Retro scenes you need to source the dusty black things of obscurity

If one day the discoveries are not there , we can get An AI robot to DJ ph34r.gif

but you knew that already biggrin.gif

Yeah. I know the OV thing is important and rightly so.

But I have to tell you that I've found enough DYNAMITE Northern/Modern stuff via blog-digging over the last 12 months to make me wonder how come the stuff is not being played. You know that I'm digging around 'cos I post the occasional thing elsewhere and I'm finding STACKS of 'em. Some known, some not.

If I was allowed to download stuff to SS (I'm not a fan of Refro thingy) I'd happily stick 20 killers up here right now. I'm STUNNED by what's out there and equally stunned by what's not being played.

No need for robots Simon. There's enough unknown/underplayed killers out there to keep the scene going for the next few years, as you well know LOL.....

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

• Replies 163
  • Views 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Does such a venue exist where the DJ's have a 2 hour minimum set apiece and can actually break new records on a regular basis?

Ian D biggrin.gif

I think Lifeline all nighter is as close as you can get, Butch and Andy D being so ahead of the rest its scary, although they are well supported by Mick H Cliff Steele and the other guys, Its as close to perfect as you can get, despite their still being a multitude of the something different brigade putting something on same night as it, I absolutely laugh at those on here that have said recently the smaller nights can do it better than these guys.

Ian mate you got to remember you have missed out on almost 30 years of scene evolution, things have changed. 80's and 90's something different was the norm, not only was it expected it was demanded by all present, deadwood had drifted off and basically smaller scene purer ethics.

Its only the last 10 years its fallen apart with 1million dj's and 999k soul nights, all allegedly doing something different but really all seem to be just following ground that has been well and truly trodden, they are comparing themselves with the worst oldies nights rather than things like Lifeline, or else they would surely realise they shouldn't compete!

Social source share

[quote name='Ian Dewhirst' date='Jun 19 08, 11:44 PM' post='796180'

But I have to tell you that I've found enough DYNAMITE Northern/Modern stuff via blog-digging over the last 12 months to make me wonder how come the stuff is not being played. You know that I'm digging around 'cos I post the occasional thing elsewhere and I'm finding STACKS of 'em. Some known, some not.

If I was allowed to download stuff to SS (I'm not a fan of Refro thingy) I'd happily stick 20 killers up here right now. I'm STUNNED by what's out there and equally stunned by what's not being played.

Social source share

AT LAST SOME SENSE IS BEING TALKED ITS SO FRUSTRATING ONE HOUR AND I DO DJ YOU COULD "BREAK RECORDS" LIKE THE OLD DAYS AND MAYBE LIKE THEN PLAY IT TWICE THE RECORDS WOULD ALLSO GET MORE KNOWN IF THEY ARE PLAYED EVERYTIME

AS FOR A VENUE MAYBE I SHOULD START PROMOTING AGAIN ?

I SE NOTHING WRONG WITH CD ONLY TRACKS BUT DETEST BOOTS USING THEM IS A CHEAP AND EASY OPTION

Agreed mate. Boots wouldn't come into it as the emphasis would be on breaking new stuff anyway. Nowt wrong with a well structured set which could incorporate OV and digital unknowns surely?

It's probably the way forward.

If something that has never been available before suddenly becomes available as a result of Kent or someone else finding a DYNAMITE unreleased track which has never been on vinyl, then I really can't see the problem.

Phew. There's so much pent-up anger against progress that it's almost an uphill battle to get through.

If someone suddenly came up with the greatest never-heard, never-released Duke Browner track which had never been on vinyl, then would it make any sense to ban it from ever being played?

No. Of course not!

The easy-option merchants wouldn't last 2 seconds on this scene anyway. People inherently know who is serious and who isn't and that's the beauty of this scene which doesn't suffer fools gladly at the best of times LOL!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

[quote name='Ian Dewhirst' date='Jun 19 08, 11:44 PM' post='796180'

Cmon Iain stick them up, proof is in pudding, lot of experts on here would soon tell you if they were known, or more importantly any good. Simon M is a technical guru, he will put them up for you, and much safer on refosoul then you won't have all those woolybacks off running to vinyl carvers!!

Above statement is the kind of tease I could imagine Mr Levine using, either put up or shut up I say tongue.gif

OK Jocko. Fair play, I'll whack Simon the links and he can do the rest.

I KNOW they're great - whether anyone will agree or not is another thing. Mind you, I had similar problems when I found Toni Talent, Tobi Legend, The Pointer Sisters, Lenny Curtis and Gerri Grainger among others LOL.

Also, some of 'em may well be known (you'd be hard-pressed to find any total unknowns within such a font of knowledge), but I'm talking records which I'd have played in a mili-second back then. So even if they're 'known', they're not being played or as huge as they should be, OK?

And please don't compare me with the rotound one Jocko, That's just not fair.....

Plus you've got it in for me - I can tell LOL! But I guess Southern media types are fair game..... tongue.gif

Gimme a couple of days OK..........?

By the way, I love your passion. The kind of postings you only get from a tortured soul........... g.gif

Ian D :yes:

Social source share

I think Lifeline all nighter is as close as you can get, Butch and Andy D being so ahead of the rest its scary, although they are well supported by Mick H Cliff Steele and the other guys, Its as close to perfect as you can get, despite their still being a multitude of the something different brigade putting something on same night as it, I absolutely laugh at those on here that have said recently the smaller nights can do it better than these guys.

Ian mate you got to remember you have missed out on almost 30 years of scene evolution, things have changed. 80's and 90's something different was the norm, not only was it expected it was demanded by all present, deadwood had drifted off and basically smaller scene purer ethics.

Its only the last 10 years its fallen apart with 1million dj's and 999k soul nights, all allegedly doing something different but really all seem to be just following ground that has been well and truly trodden, they are comparing themselves with the worst oldies nights rather than things like Lifeline, or else they would surely realise they shouldn't compete!

OK, point taken Jocko.

I've made a point of actually getting off my arse and visiting a heap of venues in the last year or so and I'm actually looking for a Lifeline (no pun intended).

And you're right. I've only dipped my toe in and out of the scene since the late 70's but I do think that allows me a degree of objectivity which is maybe not possible for many others. That could be a good thing in that basically I can maybe say what a lot of other people wouldn't dream of saying, for better or worse.

So, yep I'm still learning (as Simon M keeps pointing out) but I do bring a wealth of experience and an objective eye to a scene which is notoriously insular in many ways and an objective viewpoint may not be a bad thing ultimately.

I'm bang into it actually. I still have my own views on what constitutes a great record but I appreciate and respect the knowledge that has accrued since I split back in '76 and I'm a willing pupil.

So I'm playing catch-up Jocko, for no other reason then it genuinely interests me. It's actually the best scene of all-time and I've checked 'em all LOL.....

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

I might be wrong, but I reckon if its just a short 'soundbyte' clip, such as the attached, you can upload as I've done here.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

PS: What do you reckon to this track then Ian?

(Hampsey flogging it to death or what!)

Hi Sean,

Love it although it's a little Southerny nitty-gritty for my tastes if the truth's known.

I can upload loads but generally Rachel nails my balls to the wall whenever I do but hopefully she's asleep now so how about these-

The Dynamics "You Can Make It If You Try"

https://www.zshare.net/audio/138926685728a03f/

Front Row "Wanting You"

https://www.zshare.net/audio/138929979a5cc31d/

Paul Justice "If You Love Me"

https://www.zshare.net/audio/138931202b8d588e/

David Oliver "I Surrender"

https://www.zshare.net/audio/1389325612e13933/

OK, that's it for the night! Off to bed now with these great sounds reverberating throughout my brain......

All culled from blogs around the world.

Pleasant digital dreams LOL........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

The time Weller covered it, it was already over played at scooter do's..

i stand corrected !...nuffin wrong wi that.....i left the scooter scene about 1990 to start djing reggae and only got back into it (although nowhere near as deep) when i got a gp again about 5 years back so missed this period...

Social source share

Cmon Iain stick them up, proof is in pudding, lot of experts on here would soon tell you if they were known, or more importantly any good. Simon M is a technical guru, he will put them up for you, and much safer on refosoul then you won't have all those woolybacks off running to vinyl carvers!!

Above statement is the kind of tease I could imagine Mr Levine using, either put up or shut up I say tongue.gif

Hey Jocko,

OK then, there's a few on tomorrow's show which I think will hit the spot for S.S'.ers (and they're not always the obvious ones LOL)...

Featuring T.J., The Ritchie Family, J.J. Barnes, Brenda Jones, Scandal, One Way feat Al Hudson, Skool Boyz, Henry Thomas, Grady Harrell, Larry Wedgeworth & Clique, Veda, The Delfonics, The Dynamics, Solid Solution, Front Row, Billy Paul, The O'Jays, The Fantastic Johnny C, Sharon McMahan, Booker T, Collins & Collins, Ullanda McCullough, Gloria Scott, The Temptations & J.P. Rodgers Jr

The Grady Harrell, Larry Wedgeworth & Clique, Veda, Solid Solution and Front Row may well appeal but there's plenty of other goodies tucked in there for lovers of soul from a few eras....

Oh, yeah, it's on tomorrow between 2.00-4.00pm on everyone's favourite station Starpoint Radio www.starpointradio.com!

Gratuitious plug over but the show's definitely worth a listen!

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

OK, point taken Jocko.

I've made a point of actually getting off my arse and visiting a heap of venues in the last year or so and I'm actually looking for a Lifeline (no pun intended).

Ian D :D

Well I can throw you a lifeline Ian...next Saturday 28th at Brookfields Stables. Butch, Andy Dyson, Mick H, Cliff Steele, Sam and myself plus guest ADY POUNTAIN!

The first three hours cater for collectors who fancy ago and this month we have Mick Boyle, Ritchie Andrews & Dawn Carmen.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Well I can throw you a lifeline Ian...next Saturday 26th at Brookfields Stables. Butch, Andy Dyson, Mick H, Cliff Steele, Sam and myself plus guest ADY POUNTAIN!

The first three hours cater for collectors who fancy ago and this month we have Mick Boyle, Ritchie Andrews & Dawn Carmen.

Yep, that's for me I think Chalky. I'm not doing anything next weekend so sounds like the place to be. Is it in Berkshire? And are there any local places to crash and get a hearty breakfast the next day LOL?

I might try and get Mike Ritson along as he needs cheering up!

Fingers crossed.......

Ian D :D

Social source share

Guest rachel

Ian - there is a reason for us having Refosoul and not mp3 downloads you know, there are possible legal issues for both the site and members posting up files. We don't particularly like 'telling people off' but expect everyone to play by the same rules and respect the site guidelines. Would be delighted to hear the tunes but can you please remove those links and use the same system as everyone else.

Social source share

Ian - there is a reason for us having Refosoul and not mp3 downloads you know, there are possible legal issues for both the site and members posting up files. We don't particularly like 'telling people off' but expect everyone to play by the same rules and respect the site guidelines. Would be delighted to hear the tunes but can you please remove those links and use the same system as everyone else.

Yep, will try and get my head around it Rachel. I've been putting off learning Refosoul 'cos these things tend to frustrate me sometimes but I guess it's about time I got down to it (sigh)......sorry for being a bad lad! :D

Does this mean you're not gonna spank me then LOL? :yes:

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert