Too Many Chief's-not Enough Indians

• Replies 207
  • Views 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

There's nowt wrong with £50 to £100 records? There's more better records in that price range than some of the £1000 plus records some of the so called top dj's play. It takes more imagination to DJ on a limited budget than to throw money at it and I for one would sooner hear a DJ who uses his (or her) imagination and not just his wallet/cheque book.

No there is nowt wrong with that at all Chalky :thumbsup:

JB xxxKTFxxx

Social source share

There's nowt wrong with £50 to £100 records? There's more better records in that price range than some of the £1000 plus records some of the so called top dj's play. It takes more imagination to DJ on a limited budget than to throw money at it and I for one would sooner hear a DJ who uses his (or her) imagination and not just his wallet/cheque book.

You might have a point there Chalky! :thumbsup:

Maybe everyone's been going up a blind alley with the rarity issue - something I guess we've all been guilty of at various times.

So who's gonna take the bull by the horns and BAN rarities then LOL? The first £20 or less Northern Soul night coming to a venue near you soon ............?

That'd level a few egos wouldn't it LOL....

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

450 djs :D , what about the other 4,000 collector /djs too on here...

Its like history in reverse... All the indians are dead and there are 300 genral custers shooting at each other :lol: .. Time for bed :lol:

Thats 4450 records that can be spun

how many repeats and how many different versions

plus how many instrumentals would be played.

aaah that would be a couple of good weeks and all for no petrol money

plus a tenner

venue required and a date when all jox and collectors available,

have the rig and needles ready,

Social source share

Chalky sorry you may have misunderstood me... i'm up for playing cheapies.. :lol:

I think the best feeling in the world is when you buy a record on Ebay that you have never heard costs you less than say 20quid... and goes straight into your playbox.. and when you play it you think funk me thats good... :lol:

I don't think any one in ther right mind would rather pay a grand for a good quality dancer, than pay 20 quid for a record of equal quality.. and don't care what anyone says there are records of quality that are cheap.. just got to look.. I imagine even on here SS if people look at the back of thier collection before it went all snobby.. there be a couple of surprises sitting there with a little bit of dust on :D

Social source share

Thats 4450 records that can be spun

how many repeats and how many different versions

plus how many instrumentals would be played.

aaah that would be a couple of good weeks and all for no petrol money

plus a tenner

venue required and a date when all jox and collectors available,

have the rig and needles ready,

OK, time to stop dicking around. :lol:

Let's do a Northern Soul-A-Thon spanning a couple of weeks, find another few hundred DJ's, get the Guinness people down and set a new record for the most DJ's ever at a single event.

And no need for needles - I'll be playing a WAV file of the Dynamics in my set LOL.......

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

speedlimit aka steve phylis, well known for it

YOU CAN'T SAY THAT.....IT'S RUDE,SO WHAT IF FOLK PAY GOOD MONEY TO HEAR CARVERS :lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Les, you're not wrong,

I went to Burnley last night, no "Lew Kirton Heaven.......... or Bill Harris, Am I Cold......."

The music all night was amazin' (in my humble blah blah blah and all that stuff) rare uptempo and all that stuff, sets were well put together, Tedsoul/Guest DJ knocked us all out! (collector first?) Cliff, Karl, Fred, Phil (collectors)

Sounds great doesn't it?

numbers were down for some reason / clash of venues?

EXACTLY, MY FRIEND........PEOPLE WHO KNOW MUSIC WILL HAVE THE CHEAPIES AS WELL AS THE DEARIES THATS WHY IT'S SO GOOOOOD

Social source share

Chalky sorry you may have misunderstood me... i'm up for playing cheapies.. :lol:

I think the best feeling in the world is when you buy a record on Ebay that you have never heard costs you less than say 20quid... and goes straight into your playbox.. and when you play it you think funk me thats good... :D

I don't think any one in ther right mind would rather pay a grand for a good quality dancer, than pay 20 quid for a record of equal quality.. and don't care what anyone says there are records of quality that are cheap.. just got to look.. I imagine even on here SS if people look at the back of thier collection before it went all snobby.. there be a couple of surprises sitting there with a little bit of dust on :(

Sorry for any misunderstanding pal. Tho' I think some would sooner spend £1k on one record than a 100 at a tenner :lol: As for looking too many either impatient, idle or just aren't bothered.

Social source share

You might have a point there Chalky! :lol:

Maybe everyone's been going up a blind alley with the rarity issue - something I guess we've all been guilty of at various times.

So who's gonna take the bull by the horns and BAN rarities then LOL? The first £20 or less Northern Soul night coming to a venue near you soon ............?

Ian D :D

we did have an all-nighter planned at Sheridans a few years ago where all records had to be worht £50 or less to be played, book price that is not the price some might have paid 20 years earlier for a rarity :lol: venue closed and for one reason or another the night never came off.

Social source share

Sorry for any misunderstanding pal. Tho' I think some would sooner spend £1k on one record than a 100 at a tenner :lol: As for looking too many either impatient, idle or just aren't bothered.

i think some dj's are frieghtend :lol:

Edited by mischief
Social source share

I'd be embarassed to spend £1K on a record!

I've had some of the rarest records of all time and hardly ever paid more than a few cents or a few quid for most of 'em. Mind you easy to say that some 40 years later LOL......

Nowt like being smug is there? :lol:

Ian D :D

Social source share

we did have an all-nighter planned at Sheridans a few years ago where all records had to be worht £50 or less to be played, book price that is not the price some might have paid 20 years earlier for a rarity :lol: venue closed and for one reason or another the night never came off.

Hey, talking of Sheridan's whatever happened to Rod? Is he still around? He was one of the one's responsible for getting me into it all in the first place.........

Social source share

I'd be embarassed to spend £1K on a record!

I've had some of the rarest records of all time and hardly ever paid more than a few cents or a few quid for most of 'em. Mind you easy to say that some 40 years later LOL......

Nowt like being smug is there? :lol:

I thought you broke world records for expensive buys back in the day Ian .. or was that John M?

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

FUNNY THING ABOUT BURNLEY.......THE NUMBERS MAKE ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERANCE TO HOW GOOD THE NIGHT IS THE MUSIC IS THAT GOOD AND THE PUNTERS ARE ALWAYS UP FOR IT......THEREFORE......GREAT NIGHTS

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Is it true they dont play any 70's at Burnley . :lol:

Think that is the policy,but not caste in stone......maybe the reason why numbers fluctuation,people say they want to hear underplayed/upfront stuff ,but when push comes to shove they go for the same old night of well known tunes......ah well

Social source share

Think that is the policy,but not caste in stone......maybe the reason why numbers fluctuation,people say they want to hear underplayed/upfront stuff ,but when push comes to shove they go for the same old night of well known tunes......ah well

Who are these people ? :lol:

Social source share

:yes:

He just got one for ££££££ at VG

Well, it's a rare record and I think he's a high-earning city lad isn't he?

But God I'd hate to be seriously collecting now - I wouldn't be able to sleep at night paying the kind of prices I see these days.

One of the greatest records ever made though innit? One of those I HAD to have the first time I heard it and boy was it a monster!

I guess I'll just have to play my UK demo then. thumbup.gif

Funnily enough it still sounds EXACTLY the same..........

Social source share

Well, it's a rare record and I think he's a high-earning city lad isn't he?

But God I'd hate to be seriously collecting now - I wouldn't be able to sleep at night paying the kind of prices I see these days.

One of the greatest records ever made though innit? One of those I HAD to have the first time I heard it and boy was it a monster!

I guess I'll just have to play my UK demo then. thumbup.gif

Funnily enough it still sounds EXACTLY the same..........

Dont think he goes into the city much .. But hey £40 to £70 was crazy money Ian.. in the 70's ? :yes:

Social source share

Funny now your giving it all that with your UK demo when you have already said an MP3 is the same wink.gif

LOL, you're right! It's hard to get the vinyl thing out of your system especially since I've just spent the best part of 2 days filing the buggers........

Got to admit that 90% of my home listening is via computer these days though.

I just save the vinyl for playing out and those special occasions now......

Ian D :yes:

Social source share

You'd think that with this vast amount of D.J.'s and venues, my brain would be awash with all the new and exciting Northern Soul tunes that must be getting played everywhere........or am I in a minority within this 450 that wants to bring something NEW to the party.

Des Parker

Social source share

You'd think that with this vast amount of D.J.'s and venues, my brain would be awash with all the new and exciting Northern Soul tunes that must be getting played everywhere........or am I in a minority within this 450 that wants to bring something NEW to the party.

Des Parker

Des , why ask the question when you already know the answer, been in any lifts with Beggsy lately ! laugh.gif:yes:

Rob

Social source share

we did have an all-nighter planned at Sheridans a few years ago where all records had to be worht £50 or less to be played, book price that is not the price some might have paid 20 years earlier for a rarity rolleyes.gif venue closed and for one reason or another the night never came off.

I remember the anticipation for that event Chalky.. somebody ought to resurrect it! thumbsup.gif

Social source share

An interesting extension to this debate for me would be to ask

(a) Is there anyone out there promoting a soul night who doesn't DJ at it.

(B ) There have been at least 20 new nights advertised in last few months

(i) Are the promoters djing at this new do?

(ii) Do they dj anywhere else?

(iii) Exactly what is the something different they are bringing to the table?

Just something to cheer up a quiet night.

Edited by jocko
Social source share

I djed at a night on Friday run by the Leeds Pete Smith aka Lager Lout.

Never heard of him DJing anywhere, ever.

Social source share

Yes, actually I can name a couple of nights where the promoter doesn't DJ, (not out and out northern though), and those two events have a good deal more integrity than some I can think of!

Social source share

========================

Rugby thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

well there might be enough DJ's but ones view here is too many DJ's who have been going for too long not that it's a bad thing but this is how i see it. You have say DJ's who are 40 plus and they all have well many have good records and so on and maybe the odd dj from past comes back to do a gig or something and ok while the DJ's who are 40 or whatever can carry on for years to come.

What happens to the ones who are as old as like your 60/65 and i know you could maybe carry on for what is say 10/15 years or as long as you feel what happens to Northern soul then when there are less DJ's cause all the best ones are well into there 70's and 80's. Won't there be any younger DJ's like i would like to DJ more and cause i am only 27 i have plenty of years left to keep it going but you don't seem to see a lot of people like me DJing it's all about the ones who have been around years and know more about the music

Social source share

well there might be enough DJ's but ones view here is too many DJ's who have been going for too long not that it's a bad thing but this is how i see it. You have say DJ's who are 40 plus and they all have well many have good records and so on and maybe the odd dj from past comes back to do a gig or something and ok while the DJ's who are 40 or whatever can carry on for years to come.

What happens to the ones who are as old as like your 60/65 and i know you could maybe carry on for what is say 10/15 years or as long as you feel what happens to Northern soul then when there are less DJ's cause all the best ones are well into there 70's and 80's. Won't there be any younger DJ's like i would like to DJ more and cause i am only 27 i have plenty of years left to keep it going but you don't seem to see a lot of people like me DJing it's all about the ones who have been around years and know more about the music

============

fair point paul mate,,trouble some djs have stayed around a bit too long but thats life....stick at it paul and dont lose heart!!

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

well i wouldn't pack it in, i have records and dad has records which i put together and if anyone in Peterborough does ask me to DJ i do. i have done city club in past and a pub but could do more in pubs cause we like these as just something for a bit of fun

Social source share

I believe Boogaloo Soul in London have done one in the past.

Haven't read the whole thread but I assume your referring to the 'Cheap as Chips' night we ran (did two actually). Fantastic night musically, but way down on our usual numbers for both nights so haven't done one since.

It is slightly ironic that 9/10 of the people posting on this thread are djs - surely it's the punters that should be posting their thoughts. Anyway I'm glad we don't have the venue pressure in London that other parts of the country seem to have and I think the scene's very healthy at the moment (but I'm always the optimist). Personally I don't have a problem with people putting on nights - if you're willing to put your money where your mouth is - good on ya.

Social source share

Ian D biggrin.gif

Been there, done that, Ian.

Remember PITCHES anyone?

It was a SOUL night.

Pure and simple.

50p records A Go Go! Airing on merit. Mixing it with the rarities and classics!

Crowd had a ball.

A true SOUL fans mecca.

And they loved it.

The good news is... we'll be back!

Form an orderly queue if you just 'like good music!'

wicked.gif

Sean

Social source share

Haven't read the whole thread but I assume your referring to the 'Cheap as Chips' night we ran (did two actually). Fantastic night musically, but way down on our usual numbers for both nights so haven't done one since.

It is slightly ironic that 9/10 of the people posting on this thread are djs - surely it's the punters that should be posting their thoughts. Anyway I'm glad we don't have the venue pressure in London that other parts of the country seem to have and I think the scene's very healthy at the moment (but I'm always the optimist). Personally I don't have a problem with people putting on nights - if you're willing to put your money where your mouth is - good on ya.

Under £50 though Warren,dont count in my book cause its about 99.99% of my collection and they shoot up in value as soon as i play em' out laugh.gif so what can ya' do !!! sad.gif

Social source share

Good point, I'd been DJing for 13 years by the time I got to your age, 7 years learning the craft Then running my own event (Tudor Barn, playing across the board and cutting edge with guests proper A listers Soul Sam, Richard Searling, Arthur Fenn and great local collector djs like Rob Marriot, Chris Marriott and Richard Broughton)

As I said earlier in this thread I'd gladly give a chance to younger DJs of the right calibre with Original records doing something good but a little different.

The last 2 guys I can fit in to this category are Chris Anderton (hello Chris ) who ran Bretby and created a whole new fashion for records like Jimmy Soul Clark Champion" (then a £4 ex soul pack record) and recently James Trouble (hello James ) .

I can't wait till the Kids discover the music again, prehaps they should re-make "Quadrophenia" and get a whole new generation into it. by the way, go to the European weekenders if you want to see the young generation dancing to Soul music club 18 to 25 and Well into it !!

Rob

Social source share