N/soul Clenched Fist

Guest fifesoul

Bored and wondering who is credited with first using the infamous black clenched (black panther style) fist as a northern soul icon

kieran

post-8405-1213375697.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 32
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Had this discussion before and never really came up with an answer. Remember some soulies wearing one black glove on their right hand! :(

i believe this fad started in the original twisted wheel, must be someone out there who knows the answer to the clenched fist

Social source share

Its the black power fist that was adopted.

The fist was made during the german olympics in 1936 something, by a black chap, (Jesse Owens) who beat a german rival, On the podium he gave the clenched black fist salute indicating black power, old Adolf H was disgusted by this and walked away. Its indicative of the black power movement throughout the world particularly stateside.

The northern link is the adopting of this sign and its been with us ever since and indicates the power in the black music we listen too.

Social source share

If my memory serves me right it had a lot to do with the black civil rights movement in America, when one guy stood up in front of a news reporter . He raise his right fist on wich he wore a black leather glove and shouted ''right on''. This was adopted by the youngsters in the UK , hence the black glove often accompanied by a beret . Can any one remember the wooden fists on a leather thong that went around your neck

Social source share

The fist was made during the german olympics in 1936 something, by a black chap, (Jesse Owens) who beat a german rival, On the podium he gave the clenched black fist salute indicating black power, old Adolf H was disgusted by this and walked away. Its indicative of the black power movement throughout the world particularly stateside.

The northern link is the adopting of this sign and its been with us ever since and indicates the power in the black music we listen too.

thought it was tommie smith and john carlos in the 1968 olympics gold and bronze respectively 200m who done the black power salute first

Social source share

thought it was tommie smith and john carlos in the 1968 olympics gold and bronze respectively 200m who done the black power salute first

they did it with a glove on :( I think Jessie Owens did it first without the glove back in 1936 at the german olympics

''Tommie Smith and John Carlos, the two African American track and field medalists who raised black-gloved fists on the victory dais at the Mexico City Olympics and brought all of the roiling American racial politics of the late 1960s to a worldwide television audience''

Social source share

Theyre fists of solidaraty of miners and reprocent dirty black fists,and the gloves where worn so they could do back drops with out gettin' nasty chalk on there hand,leavin' the other free to make funny shapes with.

Social source share

the gloves where

Theyre fists of solidaraty of miners and reprocent dirty black fists,and worn so they could do back drops with out gettin' nasty chalk on there hand,leavin' the other free to make funny shapes with.

Or even chewing gum of the dance floor. laugh.gif Popular little accessory ,way back , were the singular black driving glove with the knuckles cut out :lol:

Social source share

Or even chewing gum of the dance floor. :g: Popular little accessory ,way back , were the singular black driving glove with the knuckles cut out :lol:

And let not forget your brother Joey Jones right-on.

PS,we want a black fisticom with our emoticom,s unsure.gif

Social source share

I THOUGHT THE CLENCHED FIST WAS FOR BLACK POWER MUSIC WISE THAT IS.

:g: no show me what you mean Ken

chris :lol:

Not me i'm past dancin' leave it to the young un's. laugh.gif

Social source share

they did it with a glove on :lol: I think Jessie Owens did it first without the glove back in 1936 at the german olympics

''Tommie Smith and John Carlos, the two African American track and field medalists who raised black-gloved fists on the victory dais at the Mexico City Olympics and brought all of the roiling American racial politics of the late 1960s to a worldwide television audience''

I don't think they had the power sign at the time of Jessie Owens, and I'm pretty sure he did not make the power sign when he won. What was significant was that Jessie Owens DID win at the hitler-sponsored games.

During the roe-o-tation interview I did, one of the members said that they dropped out of the 1968 olympic track team to stay with the group. He could possibly have been part of one of the most important civil rights images of the 20th century!

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Theyre fists of solidaraty of miners and reprocent dirty black fists,and the gloves where worn so they could do back drops with out gettin' nasty chalk on there hand,leavin' the other free to make funny shapes with.

:lol:laugh.gif:g::P .....yeh right on kfc

Social source share

Do you write for wikipedia?

Social source share

Whilst used way before then, the Black Fist was iconic in the late sixties as a symbol of black unity. It was realy brought to the masses in 1968 in the Olympics as a sign of unity and black power winning many events, and, at sometime in that period the phrase 'right on' became a symbol of black america.

To be a soul fan, northern or whatever, in 1970's Britain was quite 'unique' if that is the right word. Especially if you were white. At some point, and I guess know one really knows when, the northern scene adopted the symbolism of 'right on' and the rest is history.

I do recall being a soul fan in 1971 and being ridiculed for liking 'black music'. Today that would be unheard of, but back then it was serious.

Who knows or cares when it first used. It was (is) symbolic of a time and for that, should always be remebered.

Social source share

Whilst used way before then, the Black Fist was iconic in the late sixties as a symbol of black unity. It was realy brought to the masses in 1968 in the Olympics as a sign of unity and black power winning many events, and, at sometime in that period the phrase 'right on' became a symbol of black america.

To be a soul fan, northern or whatever, in 1970's Britain was quite 'unique' if that is the right word. Especially if you were white. At some point, and I guess know one really knows when, the northern scene adopted the symbolism of 'right on' and the rest is history.

I do recall being a soul fan in 1971 and being ridiculed for liking 'black music'. Today that would be unheard of, but back then it was serious.

Who knows or cares when it first used. It was (is) symbolic of a time and for that, should always be remebered.

The " fashion " of wearing the one black leather glove ( usually a driving glove ) , was adopted by the soul fraternity in the early 1970s , and I always assumed that the doing so , was because due to the statement of this attire by The Black Panther movement . I also recall that the wearing - for some - of a black beret went with the one glove ( again a la The Black Panthers ) ........

I have no defence in this matter , as I am guilty as being one of those who aided and abetted this crime - the glove , not the beret .........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

YOU BEAT ME TO IT MATE. ABSOLUTELY SPOT ON!

1968 MEXICO OLYMPICS.

ALL BLACK AMERCIAN ATHLETES HAD PREVIOUSLY BEEN ASKED TO BOYCOTT THE GAMES BUT THEY DIDN'T GO FOR THAT AND WENT WITH THIS AS A SIGN OF BLACK UNITY AND PROTEST.

Social source share

I don't think they had the power sign at the time of Jessie Owens, and I'm pretty sure he did not make the power sign when he won. What was significant was that Jessie Owens DID win at the hitler-sponsored games.

During the roe-o-tation interview I did, one of the members said that they dropped out of the 1968 olympic track team to stay with the group. He could possibly have been part of one of the most important civil rights images of the 20th century!

TOTALLY AGREE. I'VE NEVER HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT JESSE OWENS DOING THIS.

LET'S FACE IT, IF HE HAD, HE WOULD'VE BEEN HUNG, DRAWN AND QUARTERED ON HIS RETURN TO THE STATES. THIS WAS THE 30'S AFTER ALL!

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

:lol::lol::yes: think i seen that was it not black fists :ohmy:

yep...i've met the lady ,walks a bit funny though ho ho :P

Social source share

The " fashion " of wearing the one black leather glove ( usually a driving glove ) , was adopted by the soul fraternity in the early 1970s , and I always assumed that the doing so , was because due to the statement of this attire by The Black Panther movement . I also recall that the wearing - for some - of a black beret went with the one glove ( again a la The Black Panthers ) ........

I have no defence in this matter , as I am guilty as being one of those who aided and abetted this crime - the glove , not the beret .........

Malc Burton

Makes ya wonder what ever happened to all those discarded left hand gloves dunnit? :ohmy::lol::lol::yes::P

Social source share

Had this discussion before and never really came up with an answer. Remember some soulies wearing one black glove on their right hand! :ohmy:

I normally wear 2 black gloves, depends on if I laying wet concrete blocks through the week, easy on my hands, when im going down, (lol).

Billy P.S: First saw it in the m.s room at wigan

Social source share

Malc Burton

This guy malc, & jim g have it down pat! Also Dave Godin regularly ended his soulful sermons with 'keep the faith..right on now!' and although soul patches had been worn before it must've been the Torch/Chris Burton/ISC that brought them to the fore, wonder who designed the original 'Torch' patch & the familiar black fist ones with all the various slogans? i think they even tried to muscle in on Wigans patches.... what was the first ever official soul club patch, I know of the gold thread type Wheel examples but were they procurred after it closed?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert