Top New Soul Artist?

How do,

My first post here so i thought i'd try and set off on the right foot. Who is everyone's favorite new soul artist?

My vote would go to Eli "Paperboy" Reed. Great old time soul with a fantastic horn section, and not a million miles away from Sam Cooke. Click here to check him out.

Who's everyone's current favorite then?

Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

How do,

My first post here so i thought i'd try and set off on the right foot. Who is everyone's favorite new soul artist?

My vote would go to Eli "Paperboy" Reed. Great old time soul with a fantastic horn section, and not a million miles away from Sam Cooke. Click here to check him out.

I saw him recently and thought he was great, definitely going to see him next month with James hunter.

He is the real deal :lol: and a lovely guy as well.

Social source share

How do,

So Eli, is that you promoting yourself in the 3rd person, but with your username still set as "ThePaperboy"? whistling.gif

Social source share

Bit cack handed there Eli (if it is you!) - But IMHO this guy can really sing. Have a look on YouTube/Website etc. Very good indeed. Knocks absolute spots off :lol: Duffy/Winehouse/Spiteri/ :P or whoever next (Probably some 'talent' contest winner singing Lorraine Ellison or something) gets thrown in the pot.

Rich

Social source share

Bit cack handed there Eli (if it is you!) - But IMHO this guy can really sing. Have a look on YouTube/Website etc. Very good indeed. Knocks absolute spots off :thumbup: Duffy/Winehouse/Spiteri/ :shhh: or whoever next (Probably some 'talent' contest winner singing Lorraine Ellison or something) gets thrown in the pot.

Rich

Eli actually used to do the radio show right after mine, I was on from 7-8 and he was on from 8-9.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I was the original 'Paperboy' but alas I'm not. I'm just an enamoured fan trying to spread the word of one the world's brightest new talents.

And i have to say I'm very glad he's getting such a positive reaction

Social source share

I wish I was the original 'Paperboy' but alas I'm not. I'm just an enamoured fan trying to spread the word of one the world's brightest new talents.

And i have to say I'm very glad he's getting such a positive reaction

Yer might still get flooged for giving some of us the impression that you were attempting to pull the wool over our eyes. :)

Who'll be first to take a wet Womans Weekly to the Paper Boys ass?

:unsure:

Social source share

Guest rachel
Peter99 said:

:unsure:

You lot worry me :g:

Paperboy, could you do us an intro in the New Member's forum - - ta :)

Social source share

How do,

My vote is for Sharon Jones...

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Yer might still get flooged for giving some of us the impression that you were attempting to pull the wool over our eyes. :thumbup:

whistling.gif

laugh.gif Bloody hell that takes me back!

WACK "that's till thi Dad gets ohm" wacko.gif can still hear mi Mam shouting that as her rolled up woman's weekly hit back of mi yed! :lol:

Steve J

Social source share

• 1 month later...

I saw Eli 'Paperboy' Reed last week after wanting to see him for ages. 'It's Easier' is a beautiful slice of southern soul and sold me instantly.

Initially I was knocked out by his voice. Truly one of the most powerful voices I've heard in a while. His band is incredible and his guitarist has talents I'd sell my right arm for.

But then I started hearing bits of actual records and my girlfriend and I looked at each other in horror when he professed 'All my faith has come tumbling down'. In exactly the same intonation as another great song I have but couldn't remember. I was irked when I mentioned it to him after the show and he claimed he had 'no idea'. On the tube home I remembered it was The Knight Bros.

It kind of put me off a little. And I find there's something disconcerting about his smile. Reminded me of those smiles teen queens display. Though I think this might be more to do with having spent most of his years playing organ in Mitty Collier's gospel choir.

Still, he put together a great show and has a voice of enviable control and strength. The album is definitely worth shelling out for.

'Please Please Please' check out Edgar Jones Jones - Soothing Music for Stray Cats. This Scouse wonderkid has possibly the blackest white voice I've ever heard. He recorded the entire album in his bedroom. On a 4 track. And sounds incredible. Was sorry to have missed him with Eli last Tuesday at the James Hunter show. I caught him playing bass in soundcheck for Candi Payne. Very very talented man.

Edited by mattbolton
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

The lyric in my song is "All my love will come tumbling down." I honestly could not remember where I got the line from when I was writing the song. In my opinion, all the greatest songs have roots in other songs and everybody borrows liberally. Our song "Take My Love With You" is a reinterpretation of "Take The Lord With You" by Swanee Quintet. Would you cringe the same way when you heard Ray sing "I've Got a Woman" if you heard "It Must be Jesus" by the Southern Tones first? I personally don't feel that way. Anyway now that I think about it I must have subconsciously taken the melody for the line from "Temptation 'Bout to Get Me" but hey that's what happens when you're writing songs. I didn't mean to deceive anyone and from now on if anyone asks I'll point them in the right direction!

--Eli

PS: By the way, nice to be a part of this grou[

I saw Eli 'Paperboy' Reed last week after wanting to see him for ages. 'It's Easier' is a beautiful slice of southern soul and sold me instantly.

Initially I was knocked out by his voice. Truly one of the most powerful voices I've heard in a while. His band is incredible and his guitarist has talents I'd sell my right arm for.

But then I started hearing bits of actual records and my girlfriend and I looked at each other in horror when he professed 'All my faith has come tumbling down'. In exactly the same intonation as another great song I have but couldn't remember. I was irked when I mentioned it to him after the show and he claimed he had 'no idea'. On the tube home I remembered it was The Knight Bros.

It kind of put me off a little. And I find there's something disconcerting about his smile. Reminded me of those smiles teen queens display. Though I think this might be more to do with having spent most of his years playing organ in Mitty Collier's gospel choir.

Still, he put together a great show and has a voice of enviable control and strength. The album is definitely worth shelling out for.

'Please Please Please' check out Edgar Jones Jones - Soothing Music for Stray Cats. This Scouse wonderkid has possibly the blackest white voice I've ever heard. He recorded the entire album in his bedroom. On a 4 track. And sounds incredible. Was sorry to have missed him with Eli last Tuesday at the James Hunter show. I caught him playing bass in soundcheck for Candi Payne. Very very talented man.

Social source share

The lyric in my song is "All my love will come tumbling down." I honestly could not remember where I got the line from when I was writing the song. In my opinion, all the greatest songs have roots in other songs and everybody borrows liberally. Our song "Take My Love With You" is a reinterpretation of "Take The Lord With You" by Swanee Quintet. Would you cringe the same way when you heard Ray sing "I've Got a Woman" if you heard "It Must be Jesus" by the Southern Tones first? I personally don't feel that way. Anyway now that I think about it I must have subconsciously taken the melody for the line from "Temptation 'Bout to Get Me" but hey that's what happens when you're writing songs. I didn't mean to deceive anyone and from now on if anyone asks I'll point them in the right direction!

--Eli

PS: By the way, nice to be a part of this grou[

Hi Eli,

I sincerely hope you weren't offended too much by my comments. Since, as I said, it was a great show. In fact the first I've been interested in seeing for months. Having missed you at both Latitude and Lovebox and the RT instore. Though, being in the business myself, I'm sure we're both well hardened by critical comments.

I fully realise that some songwriters borrow from other great works. You're right, Brother Ray did it many times, I'm sure The Larks' amazing version of 'Shadrack' gave him more than a little inspiration for 'Hit The Road'. I remember having the same discussion with The Black Keys about a Little Willie John record. Who, like you and I have a very healthy interest in black music. Sometimes it's just the promising sign of a kindred musical mind.

Most UK audiences may not have the same soul heritage as you and I and it was actually the first time I'd heard a contemporary act cite such a powerful song, consciously or otherwise.

Honestly, I wish I could reinterpret the killer harmonies of Swan Silvertones' 'Oh Mary Don't You Weep' with some kind of proficiency!

Regards.

Matt.

Social source share

Haha no I was definitley not offended, I honestly just wanted to set the record straight. Which show did you actually see by the way, was it Proud Galleries? That was a strange show, since the sound in that room is so bad. Anyway, like I said, I've listened to and ingested so much of this music (Soul and Gospel alike) that some of it can't help but seep out in the songs that I've written. I just didn't want anybody to think I was trying to pass it off without credit (ala zeppelin) I honestly just didn't realize what had happened! Anyway, glad you enjoyed the show

--Eli

Hi Eli,

I sincerely hope you weren't offended too much by my comments. Since, as I said, it was a great show. In fact the first I've been interested in seeing for months. Having missed you at both Latitude and Lovebox and the RT instore. Though, being in the business myself, I'm sure we're both well hardened by critical comments.

I fully realise that some songwriters borrow from other great works. You're right, Brother Ray did it many times, I'm sure The Larks' amazing version of 'Shadrack' gave him more than a little inspiration for 'Hit The Road'. I remember having the same discussion with The Black Keys about a Little Willie John record. Who, like you and I have a very healthy interest in black music. Sometimes it's just the promising sign of a kindred musical mind.

Most UK audiences may not have the same soul heritage as you and I and it was actually the first time I'd heard a contemporary act cite such a powerful song, consciously or otherwise.

Honestly, I wish I could reinterpret the killer harmonies of Swan Silvertones' 'Oh Mary Don't You Weep' with some kind of proficiency!

Regards.

Matt.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert