Which Label/s Seem To Give You What You're Looking For

Guest posstot

Guest posstot

Sort of a follow on to the post about major labels, as it got me thinking about what label/stable put out the most stuff that i like. I think, looking through my collection, that i do like my major labels. Decca Liberty Abc Imperial and i'd have to put those four forward as MY preferences. I will add tunes to back this favouritism up tomorrow.( i'm up at 5.45 asnd i should now be fast a boboes, so I'll edit this post with titles and scans "tomozz our kid" awwrright or what??

ooooh here's one then,

Social source share

• Replies 47
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Sort of a follow on to the post about major labels, as it got me thinking about what label/stable put out the most stuff that i like. I think, looking through my collection, that i do like my major labels. Decca Liberty Abc Imperial and i'd have to put those four forward as MY preferences. I will add tunes to back this favouritism up tomorrow.( i'm up at 5.45 asnd i should now be fast a boboes, so I'll edit this post with titles and scans "tomozz our kid" awwrright or what??

ooooh here's one then,

BRUNSWICK and MOTOWN

and Kent & Grapevine of course.............. tongue.gif

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

The Port label for me everytime, there is so much good stuff on there. Also Ronn and Curtom and Mayfield.

Can't get on with Golden World for some reason. :lol:

Social source share

Guest posstot

If the label is yellow,its always worth a go,cos you just never know,strange but true

:ohmy: Bazza

HA I like the pink labels!! :unsure: er cough cough...i mean not that i'm...well erm. Anyone for a pint..and a chaser!!!

Social source share

Guest posstot

mirwood ,modern , scepter ,chess/chekker ,duke ,original kent ...off top of mi ed

yes some lovely stuff on the kent/modern i like a lot of the duke, back beat, peacock. A real earthy soulful sound...now considerd RnB mostly..which rather vexes one. what oh!

Social source share

A british collector more than u.s then i take it?

In the 70s when I was a mere teenager, I couldn't really be sure if the U.S. were original or boots

So I started collecting british as a safer bet, but I do collect U.S. lables, so If I had to pick a couple I would go for Okeh, Golden world.

Social source share

Guest posstot

In the 70s when I was a mere teenager, I couldn't really be sure if the U.S. were original or boots

So I started collecting british as a safer bet, but I do collect U.S. lables, so If I had to pick a couple I would go for Okeh, Golden world.

Now i'm the opposite...I always thought the british were either a pressing or a re issue...but it fealt,for me personally, that i had to collect the u.s issue as it was u.s music, and like everyone else who collects the odd disc, you just have your own preferances, for what ever reason. Yet i find myself with a few of the european issues, which more than half the time have a crackin picture sleeve.

For me though the u.s labels just look the part..yeh knooooow snazzy like, "in it" yes.gif

Social source share

Apart from the odd track, and they were generally brilliant, Stax never did it for me.

Agree with most of the others, Motown, RCA, Mirwood, Brunswick, OKEH, MGM and so on.

The yellow label point is a good one (apart from UK Stax!).

Brian B

Social source share

If the label is yellow,its always worth a go,cos you just never know,strange but true

yes.gif Bazza

weird but very true!.. :yes:

Nothing beats Okeh though!.

Jayne.x. :wave:

Social source share

Guest posstot

weird but very true!.. :D

Nothing beats Okeh though!.

Jayne.x. :P

hi jayne, yes would have to agree, okeh has some cracking stuff!!! long time since we "typed" last time...hope you're well.

Social source share

Guest posstot

A label nobody's mentioned that has such a diverse range of styles, genres and eras in it's output is........................COLUMBIA.

Des Parker

Very True...I have a couple of the earlier columbia releases....mainly Junior lewis..i like him a lot!! Susan rewis, Arethas' Are you sure, is one that i want...on columbia.

Also has anyone mentioned Capitol??? lou rawls..eddie armen...jay miller...benny gordon...teddy greene

Social source share

Guest posstot

and Bethlehem too :P

first you get some apples, put 'em in a can, kind a cook 'em slow till the soldier expands....you cool it off baby, then you sugar it down, you bury for six weeks in coool ground...............apart from the unatainable "ain't got no bread" "apple cider" rockons up there as a top draw bethlehem release...... do you have any to put me onto???

Social source share

Guest posstot

US Epic & Polydor (70s) for me, as said before some tough stock issues and stuff still turning up.

BH

I'd have to take your word for it 'blake h', not a lover of the 7t's things really...i can appreciate a tune but not a lover personally....As for stuff turning up all the time...after 40 and 50 years from there release peeps still finding good strong releases from all of the above labels..a wierd and wonderful scene we are in!!

Social source share

hi jayne, yes would have to agree, okeh has some cracking stuff!!! long time since we "typed" last time...hope you're well.

Hiya,

Super thanks!. Be better for a few more lovely tunes being thrown my way, (Prefereably on a purple label) but nothing unusual there. :thumbsup:

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

Mmmm, tough one. If I tried to use a formular something like output x size of operation x quality of material / artisits it would prob be the Murco label.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

My top 5 would be

Romark

RCA

Romark

Modern

Romark

Not necessarily in that order, sometimes RCA and Modern can slip down a bit.

Best name for a lable is Poopan.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert