La Coupe Records

NEV

Hi all

Anyone know of this label and its orientation please??

seen a record on ebay recently and was told it was a uk label but not re-issue?

am not convinced myself :rolleyes:

It's a bootleg out of New York and as far as I know there's just one release A Brothers Guiding Light "Getting together" b/w The Aristocrats "Lets get together", two absolute top sides which as separate release would set you back close on £500, this bootleg it self is now quite rare, I had a copy close on 25 years ago but I got rid as soon as I knew the origination of it.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

New York??? More like Nottingham. :rolleyes:

La Coupe was a bootleg label connected with Soul Sounds, Green Light and BJD.

The 45s were pressed in the UK (using the same cutting room and pressing plants as President Records) but they were "dinked" to look like American 45s.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

The 45s were pressed in the UK (using the same cutting room and pressing plants as President Records) but they were "dinked" to look like American 45s.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

It's a bootleg out of New York and as far as I know there's just one release A Brothers Guiding Light "Getting together" b/w The Aristocrats "Lets get together", two absolute top sides which as separate release would set you back close on £500, this bootleg it self is now quite rare, I had a copy close on 25 years ago but I got rid as soon as I knew the origination of it.

Regards

Alan

Sisters Love - "Give me your love" also came out on this label I believe, which seems strange as the label was late 70's I think and I didn't know that the Sisters Love track was deemed bootable back then.

Jordi

Social source share

I'm sure I've seen a normal large hole copy (i.e. not a Dinked UK copy - but a large jukebox style hole).

The vinyl was a bit more flexible than President label stuff as well.

Hello,

It's the other way around:

"Dinked" actually means large-hole records, i.e. they've had a 38 mm centre-hole punched out or "dinked".

Best regards,

Paul

Social source share

Paul Mooney

And the label says "Made in Great Britain" ...and Great Britain isn't very far away from Nottingham, I think. :ohmy:

Social source share

...and by strange coincience one on my sales list I posted tonight - must of been typing whilst Nev posted :rolleyes:

Mike

Just a strange coincidence, Mr Lofthouse!

I wouldn't expect a man like you to take advantage of free publicity.

:ohmy:

Social source share

Could these be UK records for export. I have Begging on this and its a great recording and not the same mix as the Decca's.

The Brothers Guiding Light / Aristocrats 45 was definately a UK bootleg. The label even had spelling mistakes and (purposefully) credited ficticious composers to confuse MCPS so they could also evade payment of mechanical royalties.

I've never had any other 45s on La Coupe so I can't comment on them ...and I wouldn't be surprised if there has been more than one label called La Coupe.

Best regards,

Paul

Social source share

The Brothers Guiding Light / Aristocrats 45 was definately a UK bootleg. The label even had spelling mistakes and (purposefully) credited ficticious composers to confuse MCPS so they could also evade payment of mechanical royalties.

I've never had any other 45s on La Coupe so I can't comment on them ...and I wouldn't be surprised if there has been more than one label called La Coupe.

Best regards,

Paul

IS the BGL or A's 1006 on their original labels, or was that number just picked out of thin air? I've never seen anything else on this label.Wasn't it done in the mid 70's?

Edited by Simon T
Social source share

IS the BGL or A's 1006 on their original labels, or was that number just picked out of thin air? I've never seen anything else on this label.Wasn't it done in the mid 70's?

Thanks Simon,

The numbers had nothing to do with the original labels (one side was Mercury, the other was Warner Bros) and your scan shows the incorrect composer credits.

It was mid 1970s and, as you said, poor sound quality.

Best regards,

Paul

Social source share

Hello,

It's the other way around:

"Dinked" actually means large-hole records, i.e. they've had a 38 mm centre-hole punched out or "dinked".

Best regards,

Paul

Sorry,

I mistakenly thought that dinking was done post production - i.e. the pronged centre popped out of 60s UK issues... or like the Tommy Navarro / Stuart Ames boots - where you can seewhere the pronged centre has been removed or someone running a cutting tool around a solid centre copy to make it playable in a jukebox.

Social source share

• 5 years later...

From Discogs. What number is Timebox?

Looks like some missing numbers so maybe other releases?

L-110 & L-111  Betty Wright / Sisters Love*  If You Love Me Like You Say Love Me / Give Me Your Love "Ž(7")      

L-1002  Edwin Starr / Ones, The (3)  Running Back And Forth / You Haven't Seen My Love "Ž(7")      

L - 1006  Aristocrats / Brother's Guiding Light  Let's Get Together Now / Getting Together "Ž(7")      

L - 1010  Hypnotics (2) / United Eight*  Beware Of The Stranger / Getting Uptown To Get Down "Ž(7")

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Were they really seventies boots?? I remember someone in the early nineties remixing Beggin as it was big on the acid jazz-mod scenes...this was released as well.It was remixed longer.I wonder if that's the take they used.?? this was well before the chart remix.Running Back And Forth was also a big tune around the same time as well.Always used to get played at Johnny Timlins Valtone doos in London.

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Were they really seventies boots?? I remember someone in the early nineties remixing Beggin as it was big on the acid jazz-mod scenes...this was released as well.It was remixed longer.I wonder if that's the take they used.?? this was well before the chart remix.Running Back And Forth was also a big tune around the same time as well.Always used to get played at Johnny Timlins Valtone doos in London.

My thoughts too. Most of these releases will have been of interest to people in the 90's onwards.

Social source share

L-110 & L-111  Betty Wright / Sisters Love*  If You Love Me Like You Say Love Me / Give Me Your Love "Ž(7")      

L-1002  Edwin Starr / Ones, The (3)  Running Back And Forth / You Haven't Seen My Love "Ž(7")      

L - 1006  Aristocrats / Brother's Guiding Light  Let's Get Together Now / Getting Together "Ž(7")      

L - 1010  Hypnotics (2) / United Eight*  Beware Of The Stranger / Getting Uptown To Get Down "Ž(7")

I can't see that any of these would have been done for the UK market. Dodgy for sure but who were they intended for I wonder.....?

Ian D  :D

Social source share

thats it ..i was wracking my brain before i posted up....just seen that hypmotics on la coupe  for sale somewhere. almost forgot about that one...never seen the edwin starr  ever

Social source share

I've never come across an Edwin Starr on that label either (but do know about the other three), but can confirm the Brothers Guiding Light / Aristocrats was around in the late 70's.

I've no idea why though as I don't recall either side being in particular big enough demand at that time.

You could still pick up the UK Philips LP "Get up and get down" which has BGL on - you still can come to that. :)

I was also always under the impression it was done in the States for the New York club scene, but can't confirm it.

It would be interesting to get a definitive answer as to the origin of the label from someone 'in the know' - That's assuming they all came from the same place!

The label scans on Discogs don't really give much clues as to whether they are all the same or some just copies of the design.

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

I've never come across an Edwin Starr on that label either (but do know about the other three), but can confirm the Brothers Guiding Light / Aristocrats was around in the late 70's.

I've no idea why though as I don't recall either side being in particular big enough demand at that time.

You could still pick up the UK Philips LP "Get up and get down" which has BGL on - you still can come to that. :)

I was also always under the impression it was done in the States for the New York club scene, but can't confirm it.

It would be interesting to get a definitive answer as to the origin of the label from someone 'in the know' - That's assuming they all came from the same place!

The label scans on Discogs don't really give much clues as to whether they are all the same or some just copies of the design.

The BGL/ Aristocrats and Edwin Starr releases have the same design label( Black with Silver text)...... Never seen the other two releases. First came across BGL in mid 80s .... The Edwin Starr a few years later....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!