Ellipsis - People

Guest Ste Brazil

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

From St. Louis, 1976. I first heard Keb Darge play this at Deep Funk in about 2003-4, and it was subsequently popularised on the Northern scene by Butch then Sam. Apparently it was a known and indemand record in Japan for a few years before Keb bought it over to Europe.

Have heard rumours that Poke played this as a relatively new release: can anyone confirm this particular hearsay?

The band are not comprised of well known musicians. Fryer (Motherfunk on here) and Gerald have been in touch with the surviving members and have legally re-issued this so they can presumably fill in more details.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

From St. Louis, 1976. I first heard Keb Darge play this at Deep Funk in about 2003-4, and it was subsequently popularised on the Northern scene by Butch then Sam. Apparently it was a known and indemand record in Japan for a few years before Keb bought it over to Europe.

Have heard rumours that Poke played this as a relatively new release: can anyone confirm this particular hearsay?

The band are not comprised of well known musicians. Fryer (Motherfunk on here) and Gerald have been in touch with the surviving members and have legally re-issued this so they can presumably fill in more details.

I was pretty certain it was mid to late 70's, great track though, still sounds really fresh all these years after release - I've bought the re-issue as it wasn't £2000!

...but how many are out there - obviously not many, i hope somebody unearths a batch of them pretty soon?!

Ste. :yes:

Social source share

from you popular in Japan comment can I assume it has a nice sweet soul or even a deep soul flip ? Sorry for generalising but I suspect this may be the case...

I've only ever heard the funk side which is OK but does get a little tiresome after lots of listens.

Social source share

I've only ever heard the funk side which is OK but does get a little tiresome after lots of listens.

:yes: great record but so tired of hearing it the last few years, totally hammered to death which is a shame. Same for many records I suppose.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

:) great record but so tired of hearing it the last few years, totally hammered to death which is a shame. Same for many records I suppose.

Agreed Chalky. I've got a copy of the legit reissue but i doubt i'll play it out tomorrow night at Nuneaton. It just feels so over played now, plus i can think of many others i'd rather play that i rarely hear anywhere.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert