Gene Faith - Call The F B I - My Baby's Missing

Released on a Virtue 7" in the US as "My Baby's Missing" .

In the UK as a 7" on Power Exchange but under the title of "Call The FBI" ?

And then also released on a Power Exchange various artists LP entitled "Hunk of Funk" in which the liner notes say that the title in the UK was an attempt to cash in on the spy records craze (eg I Spy For The FBI , Double O Soul). Really ?

Anyone have label scans of both the US & UK 7" releases ?

Did My Baby's Missing / Call The FBI get plays at all at the time ?

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Am I right in thinking Gene Faith was in the Volcanos?

You are!

Worth pointing out that almost 5 years separated the US and UK releases of this single. I also seem to recall that the UK single is a slightly different mix, although it's been over 30 years since I've heard one so I'm not committing myself to that!

Don't ever remember it being played out anywhere except once, 'early doors' at the Mecca, by the late Les Cokell (off my copy) and to no great reaction. It's a great record but personally I've always thought it's a bit too 'fragmented' to draw more than a few people onto a dance floor..

Social source share

That "Hunk of Funk" LP on Power Exchange was a curious but wonderful amalgam of sounds.

Had not only the aforesaid "Call The FBI" but also Eddie Spencer's "If This Is Love" ....

As well as Anne Byer's "This Man Is Rated X" , a super charged version of the Prince Johnny Robinson mover.

And HB Barnum's fab "We're Having A Party" , which the Osmond Bros were originally given !!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert