Carvers

Quite right Joe.

Vinylcarvers cuts from CD's or Acetates, or LP's fine, if you have the original. Boots are totaly different IMHO.

Iv'e always been under the impression that bootlegging is done for profit, Illegal copies from which the artist gets no money, just strait in the bootleggers pocket. So what's this got to do with getting a cut from a CD youve bought legitimatly, or one of an unreleased item from an acetate?

Bottom line on boots is, OVO collectors/Dj's don't like any Tom, Dick & Harriet playing boots 'cos it undermines them and makes a joke out of them paying £50, £500, £1000 for an original. Something I fully agree with!

All this royalties to the artist, and such integrity though, is bo**ocks IMHO. Artist gets nothing from a boot, but neither does he get anything from the £500 you paid off JM, or at a 'niter! And before anyone says "Yes, but he got paid from the original sale of it back in '66" get real, what about the masses of stuff found in warehouses in the '70's that never saw a shop? Did they get anything from them? What about Demo's "Not for sale" "Promo only" Did they get anything from them? That royalties and 'respect for the artist argument has more holes than a 'Tom 'n' Jerry' cartoon cheese!

OVO because thats what real collecting is about. Same with stamps, paintings, or anything else, you can't call a collection of fakes a proper collection, and you can't call a Dj that DJ's with boots a proper DJ. If people do it, and of course they do, fine, it has, and always will, happen. Don't go to their venues, don't support the ones that do it. Simple as that.

It's a completly different thing, and a world apart from a legitimate OVO collector/DJ getting a cut done of an unreleased track!

Collecting & DJing are two seperate things.

Nobody on here is ever going to convince me that a carver has any more credibility than a track played off a cd where the only "legitimit" release of the track is on a cd.

If you crave a certain track that you must have it so badly that owning a carver of it is the only option then that is fine & dandy for your own use but please DON'T DJ with them.

Social source share

• Replies 117
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Oh dear...that means all the guys round here who use professional rigs with built-in CD players will have problems...(exits left shaking head... unsure.gif )

Jerry, the problem is if you start playing CD only tracks on a CD player,it leaves it all wide open to abuse,the next argument would be,theres only a couple of tracks I play on this CD and a couple on that CD ....why bother tacking a box full of CD's...tell you what Ill just burn the tracks I play on to one .. :no: .yeah...can see that working ,DJ could carry is full set on a couple of CD's,they would all be playing big money rare tunes all of a sudden :thumbsup:

Bazza

Social source share

Jerry, the problem is if you start playing CD only tracks on a CD player,it leaves it all wide open to abuse,the next argument would be,theres only a couple of tracks I play on this CD and a couple on that CD ....why bother tacking a box full of CD's...tell you what Ill just burn the tracks I play on to one .. ohmy.gif .yeah...can see that working ,DJ could carry is full set on a couple of CD's,they would all be playing big money rare tunes all of a sudden :no:

Bazza

I've managed to resist it so far mate :thumbsup: ...I take your point, but I personally wouldn't have a problem playing a CD only cut from CD - just that I never get round to putting them in my singles box!

Social source share

Jerry, the problem is if you start playing CD only tracks on a CD player,it leaves it all wide open to abuse,the next argument would be,theres only a couple of tracks I play on this CD and a couple on that CD ....why bother tacking a box full of CD's...tell you what Ill just burn the tracks I play on to one .. :P .yeah...can see that working ,DJ could carry is full set on a couple of CD's,they would all be playing big money rare tunes all of a sudden :thumbup:

Bazza

the problem is if you start playing CD only tracks on a CD player - the best place to play CDs I've always found. :)

tell you what Ill just burn the tracks I play on to one - Which is exactly the same as playing a carver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

I'm probably just being a tight Yorkshireman but I can't see the point in selling a record and cutting to carver purely for listening pleasure at home, might as well just play it off a cd or mp3 on PC and spend the £20 on summat else :)

I agree save ya money for ebay and get somit like the Parliaments for $160 :P

Social source share

Jerry, the problem is if you start playing CD only tracks on a CD player,it leaves it all wide open to abuse,the next argument would be,theres only a couple of tracks I play on this CD and a couple on that CD ....why bother tacking a box full of CD's...tell you what Ill just burn the tracks I play on to one .. :) .yeah...can see that working ,DJ could carry is full set on a couple of CD's,they would all be playing big money rare tunes all of a sudden :P

Bazza

This happens on the modern scene. Saw Mike Ward play a 1 hour set off of two CDRs. But I think the northern scene is different as there isn't the same emphasis on original vinyl.

Social source share

I was only joking but yes, British orignal LOL

Don't wanna start a British vs US originals thread, think we've enough on our plate with this one!

Cheers

Steve

As long as that plate is not a carver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest wrighty

This happens on the modern scene. Saw Mike Ward play a 1 hour set off of two CDRs. But I think the northern scene is different as there isn't the same emphasis on original vinyl.

actually steve i dj'd with a mate in a local bar recently and he had this handy little gizmo, it fits onto your deck and allows you to control a cd player using a record! took a couple of cd's i'd recorded my own records on for the car and it was nice to rest the vinyl for a change, although to your average punter it looks like you're still playing records :thumbup:

https://www.tascam.com/products/tt-m1.html

Edited by wrighty
Social source share

I was only joking but yes, British orignal LOL

Don't wanna start a British vs US originals thread, think we've enough on our plate with this one!

Cheers

Steve

Yes i know mate :ohmy: . British vs US originals that sounds like an interesting thread...I wonder... american atlantic, red atlantic, black atlantic............................aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

got no problem with unissued tracks cut from cds....at bridgewater this year a wicked slower cut of i surrender by eddie holman was played...had a peak at the decks and was a white label 7 asked the dj and he said was cut from unissued tapes (probably meant cd !)...but am glad he played it... was awesome.....play the cd ?....nah ...i know some will think its stupid but i cant help it :thumbsup:

I got this track cut onto a carver..alternate unissued (no 45,or US 6ts release) slower take,this take was only issued on a much later (date) Eddie Holman and Larks lp featuring his other famous unreleased tracks Hurt/Where im not wanted etc,and also on a Harthon Goldmine cd from the late 9ts.I cant see the problem,i own the faster US ABC original take,i prefer the slower take so got it cut on a carver as i only collect original US 6ts Lps and 45s.

Social source share

I got this track cut onto a carver..alternate unissued (no 45,or US 6ts release) slower take,this take was only issued on a much later (date) Eddie Holman and Larks lp featuring his other famous unreleased tracks Hurt/Where im not wanted etc,and also on a Harthon Goldmine cd from the late 9ts.I cant see the problem,i own the faster US ABC original take,i prefer the slower take so got it cut on a carver as i only collect original US 6ts Lps and 45s.

Is that the slower unissued take with the harmonica in it ? great version !!!

It was never released on a 45 and it shows great imagination to me if a DJ can even be bothered to carve a tune like that !

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert