The Chi-lites - When Temptation Comes

Geoff

I've got the Chi-Lites recording of When Temptation Comes on a CD. Any information please on this track? Is it on a 45 or is it LP only? Also when was it recorded, year, label, etc. Also price.

It's a really good bit of Modern Soul, never heard it played out, but that means nothing of course.

Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Yes, I also 'think' it's LP only?

What a fantastic track - not heard it out in ages!

Cheers

Steve

Forgotten how good this was - I'll be chucking it in my box for MonuMENTAL tonight, for sure!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Adam G

Forgotten how good this was - I'll be chucking it in my box for MonuMENTAL tonight, for sure!

:thumbsup:

I was only discussing the merits of this with a couple of mates on the way to the Orwell and Tomo pointed out that although it preceeds it by around ten years its almost a ringer for the backing of Overdose of joy.It is as said a very nice record by record.

Adam

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

There are quite a few other Chi Lites Brunswick LP (only) tracks that are worth playing ...

especially their superb version of Gerald Sims "Bet You'll Never Be Sorry" yes.gif

Not forgetting their beautiful version of "Too Late To Turn Back Now" either (which actually WAS issued on a single, in Brazil...)

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Thats nice Tony! Saw an Argentinian Roger & the Gypsys 'Pass The Hatchet' - Buy It Now on Ebay - Made a cuppa - Gone... Seems to quite a bit of stuff down in the South Americas. I feel a Chi-Lites evenings play coming on!

Best

Rich

Their version of Ronnie Dyson's "One Man Band" also came out on a Brazillian Brunswick 45 (I have it somewhere) - they must have been big 'South Of The Border'!...

There's a guy on GEMM called FredMusic who's in Brazil and who gets a few nice local pressings up there - I've had Ecstasy, Passion & Pain "Ask Me" on Brazillian Roulette, Silent Majority "Frightened Girl" on Brazillian Hot Wax and quite a few other bits (including several Motowns) over the past few years. Worth a search!

Social source share

Guest FrostyJak

There are quite a few other Chi Lites Brunswick LP (only) tracks that are worth playing ...

especially their superb version of Gerald Sims "Bet You'll Never Be Sorry" yes.gif

Yep great tune wink.gif

Chi-lites did sum class stuff

Thanks for reminding me gonna dig a few of them out later, ta

Social source share

Always enjoyed their version of 'Inner City Blues' also - Is 'Bet' from the first LP?? (I think)

Cheers

Rich

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Also extremely tasty is the Chi Lites uptempo reading of John Edwards/Sam Dees "Vanishing Love" on Mercury from '76

Have a listen here :

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/d/86364/CHI--LITES

There are two different versions of this on Mercury. The one to get - with a much more powerful mix by Tony Powell - is the second one. Unfortunately it doesn't say 'remix' or anything on the label, and I don't have both anymore so I can't tell you what the differences are between the matrix numbers...

...happy hunting Rich!

TONE

PS - their other great Mercury 45 is "Who's In Love With Me" - classic uptown uptempo 70s Chi-town!

Social source share

Guest Adrian

How about "You Got To Be The One " ??

Love it and you can pick it up for 3 quid which is always good.

Always like to hear Living In The Footsteps too.

I like 'well know' 70's soul groups, Chi-Lites, O'Jays, Main Ingredient etc who all had real quality tracks on their lps...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert