Strange Stamps On Record Labels

Kazia's "I Say Please" on Millage...was making a file of it for "Deep n Sweet" thread, and was wonderin bout the stamp I got on the label, it says "Compliments of William Sirlin Mortuary" Often wondered how the hell it ended up with a stamp like that on it? on Ebay at the mo there's a copy of Kazia and guess wot, it got a similer stamp albeit a sticker in this case. So did old Billy Sirlin have a box load of these that he handed out to customers? and if he did...who dug up these copies? :thumbsup:

here's a scan of mine, and one off Ebay....

...so wot's the strangest thing ya seen on a label?

steve

post-2142-1211735227_thumb.jpg

post-2142-1211735263_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

What's the strangest thing ya seen stuck on a label?

one had one from tennessee came in with a BOGEY

stuck to it..wondered if it belonged to Elvis at anytime

might stick it on ebay

gasher the G man

All the copies of the Carstairs Pete Smith gets seem to have a boot print stamped on :D

Social source share

Guest stonedsoul

found a stack of blues 78's in a garage once, on one of the 78's label was a sticker from a record shop in oakland, wish i would've taken a picture of it, it said something along the lines of records, tvs, radio's and lingerie

Social source share

Had a few with the "CHIPS" sticker on reading "THIS SIDE IS HOT THANKS A LOT" wonder where that sticker was from, must have been a distributor or something like that :thumbsup:

Chips was a record distributor from Philly , Weldon McDougal 111 used to work for them .A lot of their stickers can be found on Philly '45's .They also distributed Motown records .I used to have a Frankie Beverly on Fairmount with this sticker on .Hope this helps ,Best ,Eddie

Social source share

Chips was a record distributor from Philly , Weldon McDougal 111 used to work for them .A lot of their stickers can be found on Philly '45's .They also distributed Motown records .I used to have a Frankie Beverly on Fairmount with this sticker on .Hope this helps ,Best ,Eddie

in hindsight, I think your description of the sticker is correct and mine was wrong.

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

GOT A COPY OF AL KENT FROM THE STATES WITH A LUMP OF BUBBLE GUM STUCK ON THE B SIDE.....ALSO BOUGHT A RECORD OFF A WELL KNOWN U.K. DEALER A FEW YEARS AGO......WHEN I OPENED IT A WRAP OF WHIZ FELL OUT OF THE COVER !!!!!

Great service, this could catch on and boost sales! :ohmy::thumbup:

Ste

Social source share

...so wot's the strangest thing ya seen on a label?

steve

Apparently, when Colin Curtis initially tracked down a copy of Joe Hicks, it too had a lump of chewing gum stuck to it! (My mate later ended up buying the same copy!) Does that count?! :thumbup:

Chew'n :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Chew'n :)

...maybe it was Joe Hicks' very own gum! You'd have to have it DNA tested presumably (a 'Bubblegum Breakthrough' if ever there was one!), but what a "collector's item" to put into Manship's auction! Bids? :P

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert