What Makes A Dj Good

ajb

what makes a DJ good, bad, or indifferent.................

1. As a DJ, what do think you need to have/do to keep patrons of the dance floor happy?

2. As a dancer/listener, what do want/expect from your DJ?

discuss................

should be interesting wicked.gif

alan

Social source share

• Replies 43
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

1. As a DJ, what do think you need to have/do to keep patrons of the dance floor happy?

discuss................

should be interesting wicked.gif

alan

The perenial question, I think good taste and I guess there has to be a certain amount of exclusivity to keep everyone happy.

One of my favourite djs over the years was Ian Clark. He had a lot of rarities but also an uncanny knack of dropping in motown,70s,classics.

The amount of times I've been to a club and someone has said to me 'He's got a brilliant collection'. My answer is still the same 'Why ain't he f%*king playing them then?'

Also sometimes you can play something leftfield like 'Tony Middleton 'Spanish maiden' got played at recently and everyone loved it.

The second question 'What do i expect from a dj? I guess something of their own taste. A great example Tats taylor came down to play Monumental a few months back and played Four Tops 'Do what you gotta do' as an ender, it was brilliant!

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

In my opinion having something different to offer than all the other DJs and that doesn't mean a collection of £1000+ rarities cos these days it seem like everyone is playing the same twenty or so rare records. An eclectic spot of interesting usually rarely played stuff, some nice forgotten cheapies and a mix of 60s and 70s with a few select oldies thrown in. On the other hand if you're at a do which has a specific music policy which the dancefloor expects, i think you should certainly play to the floor but you can still be a bit different in my opinion.

To guarantee a creative mix original vinyl only is the order of the day, otherwise it's the same twenty odd boots of the twenty odd rarities... sad.gif

Social source share

In my opinion having something different to offer than all the other DJs and that doesn't mean a collection of £1000+ rarities cos these days it seem like everyone is playing the same twenty or so rare records. An eclectic spot of interesting usually rarely played stuff, some nice forgotten cheapies and a mix of 60s and 70s with a few select oldies thrown in. On the other hand if you're at a do which has a specific music policy which the dancefloor expects, i think you should certainly play to the floor but you can still be a bit different in my opinion.

To guarantee a creative mix original vinyl only is the order of the day, otherwise it's the same twenty odd boots of the twenty odd rarities... :lol:

HERE! HERE! :rolleyes:

Edited by HARRY CROSBY
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

having more than 200 constantly rotating records........and being able to say.........come on from time to time :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

having more than 200 constantly rotating records........and being able to say.........come on from time to time :lol:

Be there early so you can check out what's been played already. Remember your there to entertain the audiance. Stamp your own identity on your set but don't get too carried away. Know your records. Don't be obvious. look up now and again!!!!! Use the mike and speak to your audiance. Build a set and pull the crowd along with you slip in the odd surprise here and there. Play the odd request if you have it. Finish on a high not just the most expensive record in your box. Been doing this for 35 years seems to work for me. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

You are so last week mate.. Its " lets have it" :lol:

AHH CATO :rolleyes: SORRY MATE JUST CAN'T KEEP UP WITH THE CUTTING EDGE DJ SPEAK.....THING I CAN NEVER TELL WHAT THEY ARE SAYING ANYWAY :lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Hey Mrdarcy I know a mobile DJ who has 201 records and says "come on " a lot :rolleyes:

I KNOW A WHOLE RAFT OF EM, HA! HA!......ANOTHER GOOD DJ LINE FOR WHEN SOMEONE ASKS FOR A RECORD....SORRY,LEFT IT AT HOME LOL :lol: .....HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU HEARD THAT ONE LOL :lol:laugh.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

someone who plays a cross section to please all :rolleyes: when the floor empties change tack and revert to what you were playing :lol: and dont play songs just to boost their own egos :lol:

Social source share

Guest posstot

discuss................

should be interesting :lol:

alan

1. Be a dancer and a listener before being a d.j.

2. Not the same old hammered tunes.

Social source share

Still need decent good records dancer or not, Northern Soul DJ'ing is a little like professional footballers all the people who think they are the best players are often in the terraces shout loudly talk a good game but when it comes down to it have not got the skills to actually play.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Sad fact of life......people may say they don't want the same old same old..........but thats just what most do want :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

what makes a good dj .........not ringing round, or going to a venue you never normally go to to ASK for a spot.If your good they will ask YOU............this of course does not apply to wanna be's, they beg

Social source share

Be there early so you can check out what's been played already. Remember your there to entertain the audiance. Stamp your own identity on your set but don't get too carried away. Know your records. Don't be obvious. look up now and again!!!!! Use the mike and speak to your audiance. Build a set and pull the crowd along with you slip in the odd surprise here and there. Play the odd request if you have it. Finish on a high not just the most expensive record in your box. Been doing this for 35 years seems to work for me. :thumbsup:
totaly agree thats what it all about for me give them what they want is my motto i also like to play the odd forgootern tune dont always work but when it does it does
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Sad fact of life......people may say they don't want the same old same old..........but thats just what most do want :thumbsup:

Unfortunately true. we all go on on here about how much we like something different but the majority do want the same old same old. :) I suppose a good DJ has to give those people what they want as well.

Social source share

Still need decent good records dancer or not, Northern Soul DJ'ing is a little like professional footballers all the people who think they are the best players are often in the terraces shout loudly talk a good game but when it comes down to it have not got the skills to actually play.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

And sadly so many of the "TOP DJ`s" come into this exact category :thumbsup:

Not aimed at you Mark, usually a pleasure dancing/listening to your sets but you know what I mean!

I always say its not rocket science but sometimes listening to the so called big boys it obviously IS!

And notice I said "Usually" not "Always"....dont want to be accused of bum licking :)

wink.gif

Social source share

Guest posstot

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

WHOOOOOSH! GOOD JOB I DUCKED THEN..... WHERE'S THE WHISTLE!! :thumbsup: ...REFEREE!!

SOULFUL SHACK, SOULFUL SHACK,SOULFUL SHACK SOULFUL SHACK, SOULFUL SHACK, SOULFUUUULLLLL SSSSHHHHAAAACCCKKK!!

Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

I think most of you have summed it up pretty well. I know as a dancer (more than a listener) I do love dancing to Oldies and there are some nice modern records that will do it too for me. I love the surprise of a long forgotten tune - Ady Harley is really good at that! Throw in a couple of unknown (but danceable) tunes. And as someone else said - read the dance floor. Nothing worse than a whole set with an empty dance floor, who are they playing to?

If there is a music policy for the night, then that is what you expect to hear. It doesn't always have to be the most expensive records either - apart from Frank Wilson - I don't care what anyone says I love dancing to it! And I did get the chance to in January!

Social source share

discuss................

should be interesting :ohmy:

alan

I always used to say that when a dj plays his tracks he plays to the floor... to entertain and leaves his ego at home.. A good dj will probably personally like a certain genre of music but not what he is playing.. BUT if he is employed to play a spot at a venue he must be flexable enough to believe he is there to do the job he is being paid for and to deliver the music his audience want NOT what he wants THEM to dance to..

An open minded and accomodating dj who can deliver and not 'educate' and gets a kick out of people enjoying themselves is a dj I want to listen to and a dj I wanted to be when I spun those little placcy disc wotsits....

There is still djs out there who think they will play anything and the audience should be greatful for the privilidge to hear his/her tracks... CRAP... These are the ones who should get off the stage and give someone else a chance. A dj is only as good as the demand to hear him.. NOT as good as he/she thinks they are.

How many times do you see an army of djs on the stage patting each other on the back and pretending to be interested in a record thrust under their nose by another of the bretheren in an attempt to get a big smile, nod of approoval and a few words of briil track mate.. wow... Then they look down on the audience to see if everyone was watching.. God looking down on the sheep...???? Certain tracks are better played at venues were they will be appreciated.. a good dj will recognise this and adapt his play box accordingly..

Wouldn't it be fun if there was a guy in the wings with a bloody big pole with a hook on the end and when the dancers got fed up with a djs choice of tracks the guy in the wings would come on and yank the poor dj off by the hook around his neck and a replacement takes over.. (discuss).... BIG MICK...

Social source share

Guest posstot

22 Years old, blonde/brunette, female, gorgeous, naked........................

That do ?

:D

except for heels :ohmy::huh: and the decks aren't in front of her, but behind her ...on the floor, so she has to....WOOOAHH :lol: is this public? :lol:

Social source share

I always find a half decent box of these helps....lol no British re issues with the centres dinked out of them, no look - a - likes, no dodgy label scans over a vinyl carver...simple really just good old first generation authentic American 45's, you know the ones that take blood, sweat, tears, passion, commitment, dedication, not to mention often serious coin to locate and purchase.

Still it's whats in the groove that counts ain't it...........bugger if it is....lol.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

post-1475-1211845445_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

I always used to say that when a dj plays his tracks he plays to the floor... to entertain and leaves his ego at home.. A good dj will probably personally like a certain genre of music but not what he is playing.. BUT if he is employed to play a spot at a venue he must be flexable enough to believe he is there to do the job he is being paid for and to deliver the music his audience want NOT what he wants THEM to dance to..

An open minded and accomodating dj who can deliver and not 'educate' and gets a kick out of people enjoying themselves is a dj I want to listen to and a dj I wanted to be when I spun those little placcy disc wotsits....

There is still djs out there who think they will play anything and the audience should be greatful for the privilidge to hear his/her tracks... CRAP... These are the ones who should get off the stage and give someone else a chance. A dj is only as good as the demand to hear him.. NOT as good as he/she thinks they are.

How many times do you see an army of djs on the stage patting each other on the back and pretending to be interested in a record thrust under their nose by another of the bretheren in an attempt to get a big smile, nod of approoval and a few words of briil track mate.. wow... Then they look down on the audience to see if everyone was watching.. God looking down on the sheep...???? Certain tracks are better played at venues were they will be appreciated.. a good dj will recognise this and adapt his play box accordingly..

Wouldn't it be fun if there was a guy in the wings with a bloody big pole with a hook on the end and when the dancers got fed up with a djs choice of tracks the guy in the wings would come on and yank the poor dj off by the hook around his neck and a replacement takes over.. (discuss).... BIG MICK...

i've seen yor picture, i ain't gonna argue mick

Social source share

Guest charnley

Excellent post not much anybody in there right mind would say against this post / Ive but been around for a while now seen djs come and go, some still play the same set week in week out of records now days as they did 30 years ago and within 3 records you know wants coming next. so many to play from, its time to show people new to northern that theres more great sounds out there after listening to mony at forest town to night and the other djs who all did fantansic spots made you think a full dance floor playing forgotten oldies that made your hairs on neck stand up, theres no more to say

Social source share

A person who doesn't keep talking before each record. If the music is good, I dont need a monologue expelling its virtues. Especilally when, on most systems on the scene, you cant hear a word anyway! TRUST ME! If I want to know what it is, I will go and ask.

Some continuity when moving from one tune to another, so that i can continue dancing and not listen to a diatribe about rarity and price...let the music do the talking.

A dj who is into music often helps!

Not someone who only plays pre 67, or No 70's, or No beat ballads, no r& b, no this or that. As long as they dont play Sh-t....I dont mind! No dogma!

A dj who goes out and about as a punter and supports venues, not just the ones he/she plays at!

A dj who stays for the whole event....sick of seeing some of our 'celebrity' :wave: dj's turning up just before and leaving just after, their spot. That is just arrogant and lazy and contributes nothing to the night.

A record has to be played for the first time somewhere and a dj has to have the 'soul' and excitement to do it.....thats how it was every week 'back in the day'. Some dj's seem to have forgotten that.

A person, who I can see is enjoying the tunes they are playing!

Someone who has a 'soul' and a life outside the TOP 500 :lol:

A dj is hired by a venue/promoter with prior knowledge of what they play, their style if you like. Why bother hiring different dj's/styles, if you dont want to hear them? Why hire Butch if you want the Top 500 or Andy Whitmore if you want an r & b spot. Just get a jobbing 'Smashy Nicey' type to do your bidding! Better still, take the cd you listen to on repeat at home and whack it on!....repeat of course!

We are well aware of who we ask to dj at our venue and we ask them precisely because of their individuality, which is what the scene used to be about. I want to hear the DJ, not a live presentation of Northerns greatest hits over and over and over and over and over and over. That was never the way it was and will never be the way it is, for me..

Edited by paul-s
Social source share

As a dancer I like to have a certain amount of flow to a DJs set

If its not you're up and down like a whores drawers!

I like top 500 stuff (I still love our n/s roots) I know some have bored of it (Paul S) :lol:

I also like old RnB (see my post on how I was influenced "first taste of soul" thread)

I like to listen to the random player on soulclub.org which throws some great underplayed stuff

Wilbur Walton Jnr 24 hours of loneliness (blast from the past dont get played out)

I like Djs who play to the floor and when its empty stop what they are playing and remove the offending vinyl

I also understand that not all of us are dancers ..some are listeners and may be enjoying the offending tune without dancing

I do like the DJ to tell me whats playing but make it short and sweet

not drone on and on about where they first heard it how much it cost them what label its on ...while theyre doing that they could have played another tune!!!!

I dont mind the odd comment like "crackin choon" tho :lol:

Mand :wave:

Social source share

Guest kerby

someone who plays a cross section to please all :wave: when the floor empties change tack and revert to what you were playing :lol: and dont play songs just to boost their own egos :lol:

well said & also not minding doing the first spot . look at blue max , dj for over 40 years box full of tunes , & opens brookfields every time . :lol:

Social source share

Guest kerby

Yes but 'BLUE MAX' is a timeless legend! Can't ALL be that good. :(

NO YOUR RIGHT . BUT WITH A LITTLE BIT OF TIME AND EFFORT HALF WAY THERE IS GOOD ENOUGH . :no::thumbsup:

Social source share

A person who doesn't keep talking before each record. If the music is good, I dont need a monologue expelling its virtues. Especilally when, on most systems on the scene, you cant hear a word anyway! TRUST ME! If I want to know what it is, I will go and ask.

Some continuity when moving from one tune to another, so that i can continue dancing and not listen to a diatribe about rarity and price...let the music do the talking.

A dj who is into music often helps!

Not someone who only plays pre 67, or No 70's, or No beat ballads, no r& b, no this or that. As long as they dont play Sh-t....I dont mind! No dogma!

A dj who goes out and about as a punter and supports venues, not just the ones he/she plays at!

A dj who stays for the whole event....sick of seeing some of our 'celebrity' :thumbsup: dj's turning up just before and leaving just after, their spot. That is just arrogant and lazy and contributes nothing to the night.

A record has to be played for the first time somewhere and a dj has to have the 'soul' and excitement to do it.....thats how it was every week 'back in the day'. Some dj's seem to have forgotten that.

A person, who I can see is enjoying the tunes they are playing!

Someone who has a 'soul' and a life outside the TOP 500 :no:

A dj is hired by a venue/promoter with prior knowledge of what they play, their style if you like. Why bother hiring different dj's/styles, if you dont want to hear them? Why hire Butch if you want the Top 500 or Andy Whitmore if you want an r & b spot. Just get a jobbing 'Smashy Nicey' type to do your bidding! Better still, take the cd you listen to on repeat at home and whack it on!....repeat of course!

We are well aware of who we ask to dj at our venue and we ask them precisely because of their individuality, which is what the scene used to be about. I want to hear the DJ, not a live presentation of Northerns greatest hits over and over and over and over and over and over. That was never the way it was and will never be the way it is, for me..

Well said Paul :(

JB xxxKTFxxx

Social source share

Guest kerby

NO YOUR RIGHT . BUT WITH A LITTLE BIT OF TIME AND EFFORT HALF WAY THERE IS GOOD ENOUGH . :yes::thumbsup:

Kind words indeed...

:(

"half way there"? Blue max isn't that old surely? :P

65 :no:

mart ( kerby )

Edited by martx
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

To me making a good dj is being able to talk i know i am not the worlds best but i can use a mic and i suppose something different, i go out to all the nights in Peterborough so i know what is played and if i was to dj i know not to play what has been played but then i will get ripped apart for not playing what Peterborough is famous for and that's the same tunes a lot of the time.

as for what i expect from a dj is mix if it's that kinda venue if they can do that and maybe a few songs that are not there most played out. i don't know or seen many dj's outside of Peterborough so can't say who's good enough but locally i always enjoy Keith Wilcox.

Social source share

To me making a good dj is being able to talk i know i am not the worlds best but i can use a mic and i suppose something different, i go out to all the nights in Peterborough so i know what is played and if i was to dj i know not to play what has been played but then i will get ripped apart for not playing what Peterborough is famous for and that's the same tunes a lot of the time.

as for what i expect from a dj is mix if it's that kinda venue if they can do that and maybe a few songs that are not there most played out. i don't know or seen many dj's outside of Peterborough so can't say who's good enough but locally i always enjoy Keith Wilcox.

matt not all the boro does, so we will see you at the dkof on friday then? the last time i saw

you on the mic you had a problem saying your name lol.

come down on friday you might enjoy yourself hearing something different :wub:

russ

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

i am sure dkof is good and i would go but i am not saying i want a whole night of total different tunes so i would expect to hear something i like and that does in Sugar dumpling even if people are sick of it i ain't cause it's my fav tune

Social source share

first of all how long is a bit of string ?? there are so many diferent ways of looking at it ,playing to himself or being brave ?? there are no rules ,play to the floor or play for safty ? same thing isant it ? ,i play it by ear every time and some times i think f... um straberys to swines ,but i would give in if the floor remains empty over ten minits but i also wouldent go back again like some body already mentiond if your music didant fit in yer wouldent go in the first place thats if you are that extrem, one crowd can say a dj is briliant go to another club and that crowd can say the same guy is crapp , you just do what you got to do on the night the one thing that seperates the two is having the tunes to play in the first place aniway you get invited for what your known for playing if yer face fits that is, for my money there are lots and lots of locall dj's up and down the country that have far more ability & passion and tunes than the big names some just dont have the desire for fame and fortune or piss in the right pot , in fact why have i botherd writing this bolocks

Edited by mepaul50
Social source share

Guest Stormin Si

For me personally, I wouldn't even dream of going to any soul event unless at least 50% of the djs there could do a one handed hand stand on one of the decks while it it is playing..

As for the other 50% I would need to see some form of athletic ability, perhaps a standing somersault mid-way through a record or a cartwheel off the stage into the crowd

Social source share

For me personally, I wouldn't even dream of going to any soul event unless at least 50% of the djs there could do a one handed hand stand on one of the decks while it it is playing..

As for the other 50% I would need to see some form of athletic ability, perhaps a standing somersault mid-way through a record or a cartwheel off the stage into the crowd

Think you might have something there :wicked: ,

Bazza

or they could just play the music I like...that would do the trick aswell :shades:

Edited by bazza
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert