Cobblestone

Guest mark shepherd

I was there, first time it was played and probably every time after that, for 4 months anyway, I understood it, but I understood it was rubbish

Don't ever recall me saying it was a good record Pete??

The scene was very experimental and that was what made it work and still does.

Don't think there is a definite formula ,every now and then something comes along that breaks from the norm ,but still manages to fit the scene .

I personally don't think Dottie and Millie is soulful but people ram the floor when it comes on

and before anyone has a go ,i did'nt say i don't like it.

Infact i bet we could start a thread listing records that are on the scene today that are'nt particularly soulful but work for the dancers.

Travis womack -scratchy ,what was that all about????

see what you've started Shep tongue.gif

Social source share

• Replies 66
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Don't ever recall me saying it was a good record Pete??

The scene was very experimental and that was what made it work and still does.

Don't think there is a definite formula ,every now and then something comes along that breaks from the norm ,but still manages to fit the scene .

I personally don't think Dottie and Millie is soulful but people ram the floor when it comes on

and before anyone has a go ,i did'nt say i don't like it.

Infact i bet we could start a thread listing records that are on the scene today that are'nt particularly soulful but work for the dancers.

Travis womack -scratchy ,what was that all about????

see what you've started Shep :sleep3:

Yep you should ashamed of yourself Shep! whistling.gif

We all have different tastes and likes - of course we do. It's good that we can debate and share.

Uh mm - the particular track in question though is rubbish!

:sleep3:whistling.gif

Obviously I have too much time on my hands this evening.

Top of the day everyone.

Ironside.

:unsure:

Social source share

And no doubt in 10 yrs from now you'll be saying to people "this was fookin great" and they'll be saying "maybe back then but shite by todays standards"!

said it before, opinions are like arseholes ,everybody's got one smile.gif

The wonderful and fascinating fact about humans ,we all don't think or act the same no.gif

I don't like to think what I'll be saying or doing in ten years, it's too scary.

I was referring to your 'age thing' comment, which is why I mentioned the Mello Souls in a zimmer frame context..

Macca

p.s. And you're right about humans too...

Social source share

...here is one for sale. Apart from a two second crackle at the start it plays crystal clear. So I`ll grade it VG++/EX-

Over 1.000 views in the last few days and not one offered even a tenner...funny stuff. tumbleweed3.gif

btw: The record looks and plays stone mint (apart from the first 2 seconds). Come on...a Fiver? shades.gif

Social source share

slight thread drift but am I the only person in the universe that thinks the Mello Soul is awful?

I wouldn't say it was awful. Certainly jumps at you when hear it for the first time & I think those records are few & far between these days. Ray Agee 'I'm losing again' & Calvin Grayson 'Love's Just Begun' had that effect on me, but the Mello Souls are not in their league in my opinion.

Social source share

I think you;ll find that debate is healthy.

I don't need you or anyone else to ask for my opinion.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

You did not debate. There was a debate going on, but what you said, there is no sensible answer!

Social source share

yeah but you had to be there at that precise moment in time to understand it mate :thumbsup:

The reason this record doesnt work now imho ,is quite simply no one, and i mean no one, can dance like that anymore :lol: its an age thing :D

Some try, but back in the day the floor was full of em!

Amazing to see so many acrobats outside of a circus :thumbsup:

Maybe explains why crossover is so big now,nice floaters that don't cause any damage to the aching bones.

If you actually take the time to read all the words, then you will see I was there at the time, unlike many in this argument I didn't dissapear for 20 years after that time, during that time my tastes developed, I got to understand the genre better, and my understanding leads me to believe this not working now has nothing to do with an age thing. Its because its very poor imitation of the real thing and a soulless record with little actual merit, other than a pleasant memory.

Let me know if I need to explain any of the above to you in more detail!

Social source share

If you actually take the time to read all the words, then you will see I was there at the time, unlike many in this argument I didn't dissapear for 20 years after that time, during that time my tastes developed, I got to understand the genre better, and my understanding leads me to believe this not working now has nothing to do with an age thing. Its because its very poor imitation of the real thing and a soulless record with little actual merit, other than a pleasant memory.

Let me know if I need to explain any of the above to you in more detail!

What you rattling on about :thumbsup:

Nobody said you werent there ,and you should go back and check your quotes!

If you do, you will see i was replying to SHEP'S post ,not yours.

I don't feel ashamed or embarrassed to say i disappeared for 20 yrs ,but you obviously think it puts you in some kinda elite club.

AND for the record if you read the posts i never said it was a good record :thumbsup:

back to the footie

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert