Guest mark shepherd

• Replies 66
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest mark shepherd

Thank god I have no sound card, one of these records that just sounds so bad now but used to love this back at Clouds do's in Edinburgh.

your right jocko

rubbish.......... :unsure:

Social source share

Thank god I have no sound card, one of these records that just sounds so bad now but used to love this back at Clouds do's in Edinburgh.

Its the people who are changing not the records, this is still an exciting record to listen and dance to IMO.

Social source share

Its the people who are changing not the records, this is still an exciting record to listen and dance to IMO.

Thats a fair point mate, I suppose I am comparing it to nearly 30 years ago which is quite scary, my ears and mind were very different then obviously.

I just think that the evolution of the sounds I was lucky enough to witness in 80's/90's put stuff like this in the shade, doesn't mean that don't get an excited shiver thinking about dancing to this though, more about the time than the sound for me tho....

Social source share

as ever, it's a question of taste, isn't it?

I hated it then & still hate it now.

a 78 sound, yeah?

That means the next record would probably have been peggy march, barry benson, paul anka, kiki dee, teddy vann, jackie forrest etc;

not surprised a lot of people drifted towards the modern/jazz funk scene that year...

Social source share

a 78 sound, yeah?

That means the next record would probably have been peggy march, barry benson, paul anka, kiki dee, teddy vann, jackie forrest etc;

not surprised a lot of people drifted towards the modern/jazz funk scene that year...

Its not in the same bag as the records you have listed. I know its not fashionable now, but its much better than those!

There where some great records played in Wigan in 78, they where not all bad.

The Modern/jazz scene was rubish at that time anyway, most of it was bad disco 12" records! I should know I endured it enough!

Social source share

a 78 sound, yeah?

Whats wrong with Peggy March, Paul Anka, Kiki dee etc, etc. Still sound good when played out are you gonna say Bobby Paris, Ad Libs, etc shouldn't be played to ? Musical snobbery. Its a dance scene that were into not a black music dance scene. It just happens to be predominately black music.The whole music scene we love is built around diversity. Black, White who cares, if its good play it.

Steve

Social source share

Whats wrong with Peggy March, Paul Anka, Kiki dee etc, etc. Still sound good when played out are you gonna say Bobby Paris, Ad Libs, etc shouldn't be played to ? Musical snobbery. Its a dance scene that were into not a black music dance scene. It just happens to be predominately black music.The whole music scene we love is built around diversity. Black, White who cares, if its good play it.

Steve

And what part of history of the scene did you get that it "just happens to be predominately Black music". You don't think that it is more than a coincidence based on the people who kicked this scene off and the style of music they chose to chase, you don't think it "just didn't" happen but that all these people you quote, (Paul Anka, Kiki Dee) were mimicking the style of Black music of it's day? In any dance scene there will always be crossovers between styles and borders that are crossed due to people chasing a beat only but that doesn't change the history and the motivation for that scene surely.

I think you will find lots of people on this scene are into "a Black dance scene" or as history has called it Soul music, you seem to be defining Northern on a very narrow time in the 70's and people who probably were only around for a few years during that period. What about from 79-95 when it was almost completely a Soul based scene, with little of the type of stuff you mention, majority I knew on the scene in these days were fans of many of the genres within Soul not just the ones Northern "chose" to adopt.. What about from 65-74 when I believe, from what I have read, it was again almost all about Soul music or records trying to copy that style. Pete Smith has very eloquently argued the case that the records you mention above are a huge part of the history of the scene, certainly for most our age, but to deny that it is a Soul scene and say it's just a co-incidence that the majority of records are Soul is just a bridge too far for my sensitive self.

And of course it's musical snobbery, I can't speak for Macca but I think it's a huge compliment to be called a musical snob, anyone that is not into the mainstream would consider themselves a music snob, surely that's what stops you listening to the same old crap as everyone else. Being a soul fan makes people the biggest musical snobs there are, it applies quality control to ensure that not every unrelated record with a beat is called a soul. Generally I ignore tosh like above but there is almost a backlash on here deriding anyone for being a soul fan these days or anyone who chooses to remember the Soul part Northern.

I love Paul Anka as a record and a memory, but if I went to a venue and heard it now I would probably be incredibly disappointed, would show just laziness on a DJ's part IMO. It has no relevance to what I am interested in now. Doesn't mean I want to fire-bomb all venues that play stuff like that, of which I am sure there are 100's still out there every Saturday night, good for them, I know they are there and I know I can avoid them. If I heard it a local do one night out for a few beers, I would probably smile at the memory, but that's it.

You choose to define yourself by a time in the scenes history rather than the music, great, but it's incredibly wrong to assume everyone else does.

And lastly Soul music, (as a genre not a general term) which as I say is an integral part of Northern for many of us, is not about colour of the skin, it's about the sound, which for proper soul is predominately, not always, sung by an Afro-American. That's just History, not my opinion and well documented if you want to read people more qualified than I am to document it.

And another one that's been argued enough on here IMHO.

Edited by jocko
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Trevski

Not heard this for donkey's, and that intro still gave me goosebumps! Not saying I'd like to hear it played out now, but as a nostalgia piece, whisks me right back to Wigan, and my ex spinning round in her circle skirt and polyvelts, she loved it!

Social source share

I think its such a feel good soul dancer I LOVE IT :yes:

Social source share

Guest Trevski

I think its such a feel good soul dancer I LOVE IT :D

:yes: It might be messy, it might be white, it might be an oldie, but its infectious, joyous and fabulous. Nice to hear it again!

Social source share

:) It might be messy, it might be white, it might be an oldie, but its infectious, joyous and fabulous. Nice to hear it again!

36_1_75.gif Di xx

Social source share

Like others - I hated it then, I hate it now. This was one of Richard's to start with. Mick Smith told me he played this somewhere the other week (100 club?) and it took the roof off!

====

got this on the 1st live wigan tape i ever got and loved it straight away..remember Bof saying 'you'll never get that mark'

soon after was in the fluff collection :)

Social source share

Like others - I hated it then, I hate it now. This was one of Richard's to start with. Mick Smith told me he played this somewhere the other week (100 club?) and it took the roof off!

...please don`t blame me for posting it here...it fits too well...

If there is someone out there who likes taking off some roofs with a terrible, white, popish, crap record :) ...

...here is one for sale.

Apart from a two second crackle at the start it plays crystal clear. So I`ll grade it VG++/EX-

Don`t know a realistic price nowadays (bought it for 40 pounds at the 2nd Cleethorpes Weekender...from...Mick Smith) so I`ll take offers untill wednesday 18.00h. So all the Cleethorpes guests have the chance to pm me as well.

Ralf

Social source share

recently sold a near mint copy via sales for £300 to a very well respected collector. remember playing it

out at a oldies night cleared the floor not due to the record, but the fact that the baggy trouser boys

didnt know it :no: so as i see it, its a underplayed 45 ripe for re-activation :)

russ

Social source share

I used to love to dance to this...........have a copy that sits in my collection that I haven't played for some years now...............gonna take it out and give it a spin and see if it sounds white, poppish and crap to my ears now????

Rob

Social source share

can some kind soul post a clip of this please

thanks, shep

Yes its poppy.......Its definatley a White singer....and its even Cheesy.............plus Its an oldie !!!

But how many of you can honestly say you walked off the floor when you were buzzing your heads off when "Cobblestone" came on

"back in the day" :lol:

MEMORIES FOR ME................NICE MEMORIES !

"IT WAS WHAT IT WAS THEN AND IT IS STILL THAT FOR ME NOW" :lol:

It still brings back good memories for me ! BRING BACK MORE CHEESE :thumbsup:

Edited by mossy
Social source share

...please don`t blame me for posting it here...it fits too well...

If there is someone out there who likes taking off some roofs with a terrible, white, popish, crap record :thumbsup: ...

========

one way of desribing it i suppose .. hoarses for courses

Its a ridiculous way to describe it, its out of fashion now but it was great at the time.

The record was played for young people who wanted to have a good time and dance, not one for armchair enthusiasts!!

Social source share

It brings back bad memories for me to be honest - when it was first played I thought it was substandard, same time we had Wakefield Sun, Burning Bush, Lou Roberts (everything you wanted to know about love), these were terrible records - a year later Richard bought us some of the very best discoveries of all time but that little period in 78 was truly terrible. Might sound great on a tape but I remember being there and not being impressed.

Social source share

Its a ridiculous way to describe it, its out of fashion now but it was great at the time.

The record was played for young people who wanted to have a good time and dance, not one for armchair enthusiasts!!

====

looked for a demo of this but only ever found double sided ones of she love me..

Social source share

I agree 100% with Jocko. I've always considered this to be a Soul scene, the quotient of pop records played is in fact really quite small, & as Pete said, they can be narrowed down to a period of specific time. I also accept that they're part of the scene, but at the time I really resented their intrusion. It's not about black or white. Matt Lucas destroys that argument.

If that makes me a music snob, then what the hell, I can live with it. Certain records moved mountains. Holly St James? Wasn't impressed then and I'm less impressed now. Joannie Summers? Dreadful to my ears, but there you go. We're all different, it's a wide church, as they used to say in Old Labour. FOR ME, this is a Soul scene, for those of you that consider it just a dance scene, then fine, I just don't share that view point, that's all. Was this record on Mercury?

Social source share

I agree 100% with Jocko. I've always considered this to be a Soul scene, the quotient of pop records played is in fact really quite small, & as Pete said, they can be narrowed down to a period of specific time. I also accept that they're part of the scene, but at the time I really resented their intrusion. It's not about black or white. Matt Lucas destroys that argument.

If that makes me a music snob, then what the hell, I can live with it. Certain records moved mountains. Holly St James? Wasn't impressed then and I'm less impressed now. Joannie Summers? Dreadful to my ears, but there you go. We're all different, it's a wide church, as they used to say in Old Labour. FOR ME, this is a Soul scene, for those of you that consider it just a dance scene, then fine, I just don't share that view point, that's all. Was this record on Mercury?

Yep on Mercury

Social source share

Some great pop records = great northern records, the Joanie Sommers you mention above is in my all time top 5 northern soul records, I just see them as either good records or not good records, regardless of colour of the artist, pop orientation etc. Don't forget, there are some f*cking awful soul records by black people...

Social source share

I've always thought this record is ......................................fookin shite!

:thumbup::yes:

If you do not like the record that means you do not like it. It Does not mean its ....fookin shite.

That comment is totally negative and has no value to this post in fact I think its.......fookin shite.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

If you do not like the record that means you do not like it. It Does not mean its ....fookin shite.

That comment is totally negative and has no value to this post in fact I think its.......fookin shite.

OOOOooohh!

Like I said I Think it's fookin shite. That's my opinion.

:D

Social source share

OOOOooohh!

Like I said I Think it's fookin shite. That's my opinion.

:D

Nobody asked for your opinion, the guy who started the topic only wanted a clip of the record!

Social source share

your right jocko

rubbish.......... :thumbup:

yeah but you had to be there at that precise moment in time to understand it mate :D

The reason this record doesnt work now imho ,is quite simply no one, and i mean no one, can dance like that anymore :thumbup: its an age thing :shades:

Some try, but back in the day the floor was full of em!

Amazing to see so many acrobats outside of a circus :thumbsup:

Maybe explains why crossover is so big now,nice floaters that don't cause any damage to the aching bones.

Social source share

yeah but you had to be there at that precise moment in time to understand it mate :thumbsup:

The reason this record doesnt work now imho ,is quite simply no one, and i mean no one, can dance like that anymore :thumbup: its an age thing :shades:

Amazing to see so many acrobats outside of a circus :thumbup:

Maybe explains why crossover is so big now,nice floaters that don't cause any damage to the aching bones.

Good post nev, times, ages, music tastes have changed, mine have to a certain extent but i still love to hear them, fond memories indeed, :D

Social source share

yeah but you had to be there at that precise moment in time to understand it mate :D

The reason this record doesnt work now imho ,is quite simply no one, and i mean no one, can dance like that anymore :thumbup: its an age thing :thumbup:

Amazing to see so many acrobats outside of a circus :thumbsup:

Don't think this argument holds water either.

the mello souls still has people rqattling their zimmer frames, no?

Social source share

Don't think this argument holds water either.

the mello souls still has people rqattling their zimmer frames, no?

And no doubt in 10 yrs from now you'll be saying to people "this was fookin great" and they'll be saying "maybe back then but shite by todays standards"!

said it before, opinions are like arseholes ,everybody's got one :thumbsup:

The wonderful and fascinating fact about humans ,we all don't think or act the same :D

Social source share

And no doubt in 10 yrs from now you'll be saying to people "this was fookin great" and they'll be saying "maybe back then but shite by todays standards"!

said it before, opinions are like arseholes ,everybody's got one :thumbup:

The wonderful and fascinating fact about humans ,we all don't think or act the same :thumbsup:

It's still rubbish, ringpiece or no ringpiece :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert