Credit Crunch

• Replies 51
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Not seen much downturn in record prices over the last few months, Is it time to buy or sell those rare records?

Ed

Dont you ask this question every month.......... :thumbsup:

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest Trevski

Not seen much downturn in record prices over the last few months, Is it time to buy or sell those rare records?

Ed

Who knows?? I recon there had been a downturn in prices, but some can't affords to sell, negative equity! What is really affecting the scene is the spiraling cost of everyday shopping and fuel. When your weekly shop costs ££ more, and a tank of juice is £20+ more to fill up, you now think twice about emptying it on a nighter trip, when there is a local do on. That's why I gave Lifeline at Wolverhampton a miss. When it was at the Bell, I could do it on half a tank, easy. Wolverhampton, a tank and a half at least, and at £60 to fill my tank.......

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Who knows?? I recon there had been a downturn in prices, but some can't affords to sell, negative equity! What is really affecting the scene is the spiraling cost of everyday shopping and fuel. When your weekly shop costs ££ more, and a tank of juice is £20+ more to fill up, you now think twice about emptying it on a nighter trip, when there is a local do on. That's why I gave Lifeline at Wolverhampton a miss. When it was at the Bell, I could do it on half a tank, easy. Wolverhampton, a tank and a half at least, and at £60 to fill my tank.......

Which is a good reason to have a "lifts wanted" & a "lifts offered" section on SS. Split the costs, meet new people and hear new tunes! It makes sense!

The price of fuel is far from levellling out either.... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Paul

If this recession gets any worse we'll all have to start baking our own bread.

Years ago you used to get thirty slices to a loaf, these days you're lucky to get twenty.

That's inflation for you.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Ed

If you've bought them for little and want to maximize potential profit, or paid near full 'book' price and don't want to loose a large wedge, then I think its time to sell & PDQ!

Social source share

Guest Paul

...everyone is chasing the same few records these days...prices are more dictated by dj/radio play and auction hyping...

And, meanwhile, there are thousands of great records that just don't sell. Look at some of the things on ebay which end without any bids.

Best regards,

Paul

Social source share

buyers and sellers market...everyone is chasing the same few records these days...prices are more dictated by dj/radio play and auction hyping...

Who's chasing the same few records exactly? I'm not sure this is totally the case? for some yes but there are plenty of people who have fun digging around for the less obvious records often for a lot less money than the so called big ticket items.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Which is a good reason to have a "lifts wanted" & a "lifts offered" section on SS. Split the costs, meet new people and hear new tunes! It makes sense!

The price of fuel is far from levellling out either.... :yes:

This a great idea...! Apart from the petrol costs (a tenner used to last me a few days running around now I'm running on fumes after a couple of days....) it would be very handy for somebody like me who likes a few drinkies when out and about :D

Re the credit crunch and records-I'm not selling much at the moment on ebay, seems a bit slow. I'm still buying but I stopped buying big ticket items years ago...the last 45 I got cost me a quid :D

Edited by reg
Social source share

There was a similar thread to this in January that asked "when will it end", obviously not yet :sweatingbullets:

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/Credit-...nch-t64129.html

My missus likened record buying/selling to the housing market: prices of general stuff go up and down according to demand; real quality holds its price; good quality is hard to get hold of and when people do they tend to hold on; in a down turn it is the lesser quality things that suffer first and most in terms of price.

The "credit crunch" as it is laughingly termed (perhaps I should go to free-basing with that one) happened over late summer last year, it is the effects of it that are being felt now. I think that there is less disposable income about so less people are buying records, and those that are buying are doing so carefully. I don't think people have started panic selling yet though.

I actually think that it will be the panic buyers of the last few years, some of whom have funded their collections through credit, or those that think they are investing in records that will be caught out and have to sell, causing prices to drop, again just like the housing market.

The general economy of the last few years has been bouyant on the back of people raising funds out of rising property values (another joke term - "equity release") and now funds are hard to get other than by working for them.

I personally look forward to an era of cheaper records but only once I've sold the contents of my sales box :)

Social source share

Years ago you used to get thirty slices to a loaf, these days you're lucky to get twenty.

:sweatingbullets:

I blame the yeast.............

Social source share

Last four records I bought cost £15, £8, £250 and £25 respectively and to me they are all worth owning as I regard them as little plastic works of art (they sound good too). If I have to do without other consumer goodies for them, then so be it. But saying that, my credit card has now been cut up...no more temptation for a while!

Social source share

:yes:

Yup,thought the scene was going downhill but this is just the shot in the arm it needs.

Next Weekender I go to I damn well expect a bread cutting competition never mind that old hat dancin' comp stuff!!!!!

Paul

Social source share

Guest rachel

:yes:

What do you mean 'start', haven't you seen the "Grow Your Own Veg" thread? :(

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

Who knows?? I recon there had been a downturn in prices, but some can't affords to sell, negative equity! What is really affecting the scene is the spiraling cost of everyday shopping and fuel. When your weekly shop costs ££ more, and a tank of juice is £20+ more to fill up, you now think twice about emptying it on a nighter trip, when there is a local do on. That's why I gave Lifeline at Wolverhampton a miss. When it was at the Bell, I could do it on half a tank, easy. Wolverhampton, a tank and a half at least, and at £60 to fill my tank.......

I agree with you on the whole petrol thing

We live in essex n so its a good tank full of petrol to get anywhere half decent usually.

My car is 4 years old n when i first bought it it cost me £42 to fill up. On the way to lifeline it cost me £70 !!!

Danm sure me wages aint gone up by that percentage....I never used to take petrol money from mates but now i have to or none of us would go out as often.

I dont smoke or drink either but i would imagine the combination of all three would be crippling

Oh well the kids dont need shoes now as its summer so thats a bonus!!! lol

Helen

XXXX

Social source share

The price of fuel is far from levellling out either.... :wicked:

This is a brilliant idea

Could it be linked to events talk in some way?

Social source share

The price of fuel is far from levellling out either.... :D

Who is gonna share a car with you :wicked: ..You could be the Fred West of the soul scene :no: ..

Social source share

Agreed. I don't go to venues as such anymore but what a fantastic idea. Can the mods do anything? Mike? Just think the money you save could be spent on much worthwhile things like 45s!

Rich

Hey I'm drawin' the line at Mods' involvement in any vehicle sharing scheme - I actually fancy gettin' there not mendin' a bloody scooter all night half way to a do!

Paul

Social source share

Guest rachel

Agreed. I don't go to venues as such anymore but what a fantastic idea. Can the mods do anything? Mike? Just think the money you save could be spent on much worthwhile things like 45s!

Rich

I've raised it as a topic for discussion with Mike & the other moderators, not sure what issues it raises re the site's responsibilities etc, but we'll get back to you! :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Trevski

I agree with you on the whole petrol thing

We live in essex n so its a good tank full of petrol to get anywhere half decent usually.

My car is 4 years old n when i first bought it it cost me £42 to fill up. On the way to lifeline it cost me £70 !!!

Danm sure me wages aint gone up by that percentage....I never used to take petrol money from mates but now i have to or none of us would go out as often.

I dont smoke or drink either but i would imagine the combination of all three would be crippling

Oh well the kids dont need shoes now as its summer so thats a bonus!!! lol

Helen

XXXX

You certainly have to be more discerning these days Helen. I never let my tank go under a quarter full so at least £70 for a full fill, like yours. Of course you then have to fill it when you get back, so a nighter of any distance is looking at around £120/£140 before you add any 'consumeables'. Trouble is, in York, there is usualy only Richard and myself that venture out of our own dear shire, so filling the car with people AND petrol (or in my case diesel) is not always possible, so one has to take the total cost of a jaunt onself. Maybe I should get a more economical vehicle than a 3 litre one, but I'll be damned if this government will dictate what I drive!

Hope you can afford to make a trip to the Wilton again! (fortunatly for me it's only about £15!)

Social source share

Trouble is, in York, there is usualy only Richard and myself that venture out of our own dear shire, so filling the car with people AND petrol (or in my case diesel) is not always possible, so one has to take the total cost of a jaunt onself.

But there may be people you could pick up en route, and a dedicated thread would be the way to find out.

I think it's a great idea, though I'd suggest ladies should only accept lifts from people they know well cus there are lots of weirdos in this world and most of 'em frequent the allnighters :wicked:

Social source share

Ed

Give it 5 - 6 months reckon prices will a lot lower, alerady they're way past that

lazy, hazy, crazy time of 2 years ago................ :wicked:

Social source share

I've raised it as a topic for discussion with Mike & the other moderators, not sure what issues it raises re the site's responsibilities etc, but we'll get back to you! :wicked:

Mmmm,then again although I think it's a great idea then there's the vetting process,lol...are you CRB checked etc???

There was a time when I would get in a car/on the back of a scooter with any old shower....

Seriously,we all know who we know I suppose and should only take risks sensibly :yes: I promise if you come in the car with me the only thing I'll take you for is petrol money :no::D

Social source share

But there may be people you could pick up en route, and a dedicated thread would be the way to find out.

I think it's a great idea, though I'd suggest ladies should only accept lifts from people they know well cus there are lots of weirdos in this world and most of 'em frequent the allnighters :lol:

You can pick me up en route Trev, though after last time you might not bother :lol::lol: I could bring a bib & I'll promise not to snore or fall asleep on some unsuspecting souls knee.

Seriously though the lifts section is a great idea :lol:

Kx

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Ed

if you only buy tunes as an investment.............then why buy em at all, buy em cause you love em..strange concept but true. :lol:

Social source share

Guest Paul

What do you mean 'start', haven't you seen the "Grow Your Own Veg" thread? :lol:

Hi Rachel,

Sharing baths sounds like a good idea to save money, depending on who you share with of course.

:lol:

Paul

Social source share

You can pick me up en route Trev, though after last time you might not bother :lol::lol: I could bring a bib & I'll promise not to snore or fall asleep on some unsuspecting souls knee.

Seriously though the lifts section is a great idea :lol:

Kx

How about a "SOUL BUS" that takes bookings and travels all over the country and is subsidised by the ,lets say "well off" members of soulsource :lol:

Social source share

The price of fuel is far from levellling out either.... :(

Isn't there a 'do' in Valencia in October :lol::lol::lol: Only kidding!! :lol:

Social source share

Guest mrjp

You certainly have to be more discerning these days Helen. I never let my tank go under a quarter full so at least £70 for a full fill, like yours. Of course you then have to fill it when you get back, so a nighter of any distance is looking at around £120/£140 before you add any 'consumeables'. Trouble is, in York, there is usualy only Richard and myself that venture out of our own dear shire, so filling the car with people AND petrol (or in my case diesel) is not always possible, so one has to take the total cost of a jaunt onself. Maybe I should get a more economical vehicle than a 3 litre one, but I'll be damned if this government will dictate what I drive!

Hope you can afford to make a trip to the Wilton again! (fortunatly for me it's only about £15!)

hi trevski , know what you mean ,last time i came to wilton , from boston lincs ,tank on quarter full , so filled it up , cost 86 pounds , had a great night, but when got home filled up again , 59 pounds , so a trip to wilton going to cost me around 60 pounds , while i can aford it i will go, but sometimes i will miss ,only because of cost ,i know i could get a smaller car , but why shoud i as i love the one i have , land rover discovery ,but i do have freinds, and we do share cars , yours mr j.p. ps car sharing great idear.

Social source share

we gloucs boys always try to round up a car full.......heard of the press gang ???????????????????...........very costly on your jack....but if u love it who cares as for records buy sell trade great fun, it dont have to cost a fortune,never paid over £200 and got some nice things,gotta be patient and vigilant,........it still drives me mad when i get out bid, ,but if i got every record i wanted and could afford them it wouldnt be fun.as many on the scene say ,its the chase they enjoy,not havin the record once its found!!!!!!!!! ezzie

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

Ed

Record prices down i think...time to buy.. :lol: i have some to sell... :lol:

Social source share

How about a "SOUL BUS" that takes bookings and travels all over the country and is subsidised by the ,lets say "well off" members of soulsource :lol:

What a brilliant idea Nev & really good of you to volunteer, let us know when you are up & running & ready to take bookings :lol:

Kx

Social source share

Guest mel brat

there are plenty of people who have fun digging around for the less obvious records often for a lot less money than the so called big ticket items.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Right. Anybody who buys rare Soul records as an "investment" deserves what they get in my opinion. It wouldn't bother me one bit if records that I own that are currently listed in the £££100s dropped to £2 overnight - It would just mean I could go out and buy second copies of all my faves!

Recessions are not acts of God, they're usually caused by greed and the so-called "credit crunch" is no exception. Wall Street speculators are driving up the cost of oil after the collapse of their profits in the US housing market. Rare records are now just another "investment commodity" to some people. Hang the lot of 'em!

Social source share

Right. Anybody who buys rare Soul records as an "investment" deserves what they get in my opinion. It wouldn't bother me one bit if records that I own that are currently listed in the £££100s dropped to £2 overnight - It would just mean I could go out and buy second copies of all my faves!

Recessions are not acts of God, they're usually caused by greed and the so-called "credit crunch" is no exception. Wall Street speculators are driving up the cost of oil after the collapse of their profits in the US housing market. Rare records are now just another "investment commodity" to some people. Hang the lot of 'em!

Wow Mel, at last something I can 100% agree with you on!! :lol: :lol:

The second paragraph particularly, thats why Mr Trouble is bigging up the Kings Go Forth single so he can make enough of the copies he has pre-ordered to retire off, he's bored of causing World Recessions with his dodgy derivitaves, City Boys, you can't trust them I tell you..... :lol:

Social source share

Record prices are definately gonna drop at some stage in the near future, my advice to everyone is sell now before its too late - SELL SELL SELL :)

Lets get those prices down :unsure:

Steve, judging by the vast amounts of records constantly coming up for sale via here on Soul Source, Ebay, established dealers etc. I suspect this is already the case, seems to me there is a 'Record Mountain' building and it's getting bigger by the day, huge vast amounts of records which are hard or sometimes impossible to sell, records we thought were rare and hard to find constantly turning up and offered for sale and so it goes on, I feel sorry for people who have invested big if they want to see a return or even get their money back then they may struggle, still buying records should never be about the financial/investment side of things for many of us it's simply about the music at whatever cost.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

The scene has suvived all kinds of political & financial, upturns, down turns, booms, crashes & god knows what else...........it'll carry on regardless, people will still discover records, buy records & sell records.............I'll buy new releases for a fiver & if Im more flush I might go for a more expensive buy from my dusties 'wants' I'll also collect anything inbetween that I LIKE too, irespective of price, its quality that counts. The only people this will really effect are those that bought discs at vastly inflated prices, on credit & did it for all the wrong reasons. I dont think this is going to really effect my record buying routines, no money cheapies, flush the more expensive bits & between your digging like a maniac, trying to find the next big thing, or fall over a box of sure fire sellers or what ever, its a lifestyle.............as the infamous Dave Moore often says.......'A record a day..........' & if Im honest, on balance I probably do buy at least a record a day..........still.

Russ

Social source share

"A record a day keeps the blues away". DEFINITELY.

Crappy day at work - get home to a cheapie, brightens yer evening up.

Football team got a hammering on Saturday afternoon - Get a filler that night dirt cheap, dullens the disappointment.

Skint, but make the effort to get somewhere - find a W/Demo of a cheapie that you've never seen for peanuts - Hey Hey result!!

Flush, got a few $$$ in the vinyl fund exactly same time as #7 of the wants list appears - No hesitation, slap down the wonga and drive 100 miles to pick it up. Get home, put headshell with new cart/stylus on tonearm, crack chilled beer open, place needle on vinyl, kick back and smile (Extremely SMUGLY) to oneself......BLISS! :P

A record a day.......oh yes indeedy! wink.gif

Social source share

The scene has suvived all kinds of political & financial, upturns, down turns, booms, crashes & god knows what else...........it'll carry on regardless, people will still discover records, buy records & sell records.............I'll buy new releases for a fiver & if Im more flush I might go for a more expensive buy from my dusties 'wants' I'll also collect anything inbetween that I LIKE too, irespective of price, its quality that counts. The only people this will really effect are those that bought discs at vastly inflated prices, on credit & did it for all the wrong reasons. I dont think this is going to really effect my record buying routines, no money cheapies, flush the more expensive bits & between your digging like a maniac, trying to find the next big thing, or fall over a box of sure fire sellers or what ever, its a lifestyle.............as the infamous Dave Moore often says.......'A record a day..........' & if Im honest, on balance I probably do buy at least a record a day..........still.

Russ

My postman said this to me the other day; "You must have loads of these, I deliver at least one a day" :lol:

"Keep up the good work" I said

Social source share

Guest soul kitten

we ll go in with ya Trev ,same here dont go places as always skint ,would nt mind dishing in with petrol give us a shout

Social source share

Guest mel brat

...seems to me there is a 'Record Mountain' building and it's getting bigger by the day

...still buying records should never be about the financial/investment side of things for many of us it's simply about the music at whatever cost...

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Note to all: Mr. Bicknall is a very sensible person - listen to his advice children! :thumbsup:

PS. Does nobody remember being taught about the "South Sea Bubble" at school - or the so called "Tulip Mania" in Holland?

(just read this!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

Social source share

Note to all: Mr. Bicknall is a very sensible person - listen to his advice children! :D

PS. Does nobody remember being taught about the "South Sea Bubble" at school - or the so called "Tulip Mania" in Holland?

(just read this!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

Substitute the words "Ace Spectrum" for the word tulip and it actually has a ring of truth :)

Worth a read for the quote: "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one!" Charles Mackay

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Ed

It might be my imagination, but there seems to be an upsurge in the volume of records up for sale in the last 3 month. Plus a couple of heavy weight collectors starting to sell some of their stuff off. Anyone get a gage of what was for sale at Cleethorpes? Were there any 'holy grails' on offer there?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert