Ernie Wheelwright - In Your Arms c/w Begging You Back - Gaye £608

Lollipops - Need Your Love c/w Cheating, Is Telling On You - V.I.P £174

Tiny Watkins - Run, Run, Run - Goodie Train £164

Mary Love - You Turned My Bitter Into Sweet c/w In Your Hands - King £176

Sidney Barnes - You'll Always Be In Style - Red Bird promo £211

T.J Williams & Two Shades of Soul - Baby, I Need You - Josie £355

Enchantments - I'm In Love With Your Daughter - Faro £307

Social source share

Not sure if this is all of them... or even some of last weeks...

Chris Clark - Love's Gone Bad c/ w You Put Yourself In My Place - Tamla Motown demo £165

Antiques - Go For Yourself - LaSalle £852

Mike Vickers - On The Brink - Columbia demo £120

Holly St James - That's Not Love - ABC promo £609

Carol Anderson - Taking My Mind Off Love c/w I'm Not Worried - Whip £389

Masqueraders - How - La Beat £759

Emanon's Orchestra - Bird Walkin' - All Brothers £277

Linda Jones - Hypnotized EP - Warner Bros France ep £176

Various Artists - The Motown Story - Compiled by Blues & Soul £71

Record Player - Free Your Mind - Gem City demo £808

Patrice holloway - Those DJ Shows - Jobete Motown Acetate £136

Social source share

over 300 for enchantments !!! :ohmy:

sold mine for about 60 or 70 a few years ago and dsidn't think it would ever go above that value TBH. There was never a shortage of copies coming onto the market at that price ?

I would have thought half the £307 it sold for. Was a £75 disc for some time but I've seen them sold for up to twice that in more recent times.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

over 300 for enchantments !!! :ohmy:

sold mine for about 60 or 70 a few years ago and dsidn't think it would ever go above that value TBH. There was never a shortage of copies coming onto the market at that price ?

Most copies on eBay during the past year have sold for £200-£300.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

£209 more expensive than the one I currently have for sale :ohmy:

Surprising price that one, especialy as it fetched more than Carol Anderson.

Social source share

Whilst on the subject of Mr Manship's auctions, what on earth is The Showstoppers on Hem doing at over 1700 quid :lol:

27 days still to go too.

These seem to go through ebay fairly frequently at 500 - 700 so is it because the condition is so good? :ohmy:

Edited by paultp
Social source share

Whilst on the subject of Mr Manship's auctions, what on earth is The Showstoppers on Hem doing at over 1700 quid :lol:

27 days still to go too.

These seem to go through ebay fairly frequently at 500 - 700 so is it because the condition is so good? :thumbsup:

Yep it's got to be condition. Most on ebay at £600/£700 are VG. Got my VG for a similar amount, but would I pay £1700 for a minty I doubt it.

Great record as it is though.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

over 300 for enchantments !!! :thumbup:

these regularly turned up in soul packs from soul bowl in the late 70's, I must've had 3/4 at one time, sold em for about £2 each....

Social source share

Guest CliftonHall1

Chris Clark - Love's Gone Bad c/ w You Put Yourself - Tamla Motown demo £165

Masqueraders £759

If anyone out their who has a copy of above bought from us for £8 back in 76 - 78

AND is not entirely satisfied

then they can return back for A FULL REFUND without any hassle :thumbup: LOL

CRACKING tune with possibly the best break on a Northern record :thumbup:

Social source share

Masqueraders £759

If anyone out their who has a copy of above bought from us for £8 back in 76 - 78

AND is not entirely satisfied

then they can return back for A FULL REFUND without any hassle :) LOL

CRACKING tune with possibly the best break on a Northern record :lol:

"I'm Gonna Make It" on the other side is good as well, not in the same class as HOW, but has had plays at venues etc.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Chris Clark - Love's Gone Bad c/ w You Put Yourself - Tamla Motown demo £165

Not wishing to offend the buyer but theres been a healthy amount of these going thru sales list and ebay over the last few yrs for £250 max!

Infact ,Craig Moerer had one in sales for $400 about two months back and one at auction, at exactly the same time, and guess what......

....... the auction one went for more :lol::)

just wish i'd had the cash for the one in sales :P

Social source share

that seems cheap for Carol anderson, i know it's £300 in the book but i'm sure i've seen them for more recently. £389 - fair price or not?

cheers

copys of carol andersons were on lists every month,the same time as the enchantments.

all @ £60/70.

couldnt give records away @ that time tho(mid 90s).

carol was always on fortnum & spencers list.

cant remember if it was them or a big dealer who turned up a pile?.always saying just down to my last few.

Social source share

In think, 'ahem' cough cough, some people fail to understand why John Manship achieves higher prices. It is quite simple, reputation, guarantees of description and provenance.

Christies Auctions can sell something for a far higher price than Darlington Auctions, for the same reason John Manship achieves prices.

No disrepect to anyone or any other auction site, but for nearly 40 years he has been selling records and has become a 'brand' in his own right.

I have never met him, not talked to John Manship, but I would gladly pay a premium to buy from him. And that is why some of the global collectors do just that.

Social source share

In think, 'ahem' cough cough, some people fail to understand why John Manship achieves higher prices. It is quite simple, reputation, guarantees of description and provenance.

and many rich and unknowledgable customers...there are enough honest and trustworthy dealers to buy from NOT to have to pay double what a record is actually worth in an auction.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

and many rich and unknowledgable customers...there are enough honest and trustworthy dealers to buy from NOT to have to pay double what a record is actually worth in an auction.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say. Any commodity is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Valuations are always best guesses based on the variables of the moment.

Me, I wouldn't give you 10p for a Picasso, because IMHO, they are garbage. But to someone else they are priceless, and that is market forces.

Whether any of us agree is a moot point, the market will always determine the price.

And, let's not forget, there are cassions when JM gets lower prices than people think a record is 'worth'

Ah the joys of the market!

Social source share

:lol:

True what you say about market forces Jim - However to take a Picasso as an example is a little off the mark as there is only ONE of his paintings and not several of the same painting available at any one time. Rich individuals will always pay over the top just to get it. (See Abramovich purchases of the Francis Bacon painting recently) I've never understood the thought process of for eg. Pete Smith has 'x' 45 at £200 but JM has one at auction for £350 - I'll buy that one because of reputation blah blah... Why spend more? I wish I could afford to but hey I can't!

Rich

Edited by harrogatesoul
Social source share

:lol:

True what you say about market forces Jim - However to take a Picasso as an example is a little off the mark as there is only ONE of his paintings and not several of the same painting available at any one time. Rich individuals will always pay over the top just to get it. (See Abramovich purchases of the Francis Bacon painting recently) I've never understood the thought process of for eg. Pete Smith has 'x' 45 at £200 but JM has one at auction for £350 - I'll buy that one because of reputation blah blah... Why spend more? I wish I could afford to but hey I can't!

Rich

You are right about Picasso, but I was using to illustate the point. Perhaps JM could enlighten us all with what % of his sales go to overseas collectors? That might give an insight to one variable driving prices?

Social source share

Am sure there are variables Jim - am not knocking JM's auctions or anyones elses for that matter but there are an awful lot of avenues to buy rare or in-demand discs - This forum being one of them. There's been an astounding amount of rare/in demand pieces for sale on here put up by seasoned and well respected collectors at (not always I may add) reasonable prices. Not to mention plenty of 'regular' collected soul. I only say why pay more? If you can afford to pay more than what you can get it for in other places - Thats the individuals perogative but the fun of collecting for me is hunting/dealing/bargaining with other collectors. I just dont see the point in paying say £20 for a 45 when I can readily acquire one for half or less 'book' price. (Granted that doesn't really happen with big rarities etc - Apologies for digressing!)

Best regards

Rich

Edited by harrogatesoul
Social source share

I just dont see the point in paying say £20 for a 45 when I can readily acquire one for half or less 'book' price. (Granted that doesn't really happen with big rarities etc - Apologies for digressing!)

Best regards

Rich

But look at something like "Bari Track" - I had one on here last week at a set sale price (think it was £600), it didn't sell, I had to put it on ebay and it went for £620 - meanwhile a copy of PB's auction I'm told was sitting at £800...two hundred quid difference. Must be nice to be so rich that money is no object.

Social source share

Well there you go! I would have thought that if you are willing to spend such a sum on a 45 - Why wouldn't you 'shop around' so to speak and save what is a substantial amount. I know there's that 'must have it' thinking in all collecting circles so we could put it down to sheer enthusiasm! Perhaps if this country gets back on its feet and I sell more furniture I'll be able to consider this! Perhaps its just envy on my part... unsure.gif

Rich

Social source share

I gave up a long time ago trying to understand the logic of the soul scene and how the prices can vary so much. I don't think there is any logic biggrin.gif

patience seems to be the best policy for me these days. Just wait for 45s to come along at good prices as there is no shortage of them...

Social source share

How many times have you looked at a set sale list [either paper or email] and seen an item you really want, and at a very good price. Rushed to the phone, dialed and said, "I'll have that please" only to here those terrible words, "sorry mate it's sold" :Dshout.gifranting_1.gif every fookin time for me....

That's why the big prices are achieved on auction.....2 or more people really want the record. Simple as that......and credit cards have made it possible. I've said it before......take away credit cards, and record prices would tumble..... :thumbsup:

Phil.

Social source share

I do know that it is easy to get carried away in an auction situation, it's the same for me even though i am only involved in the low end prices rolleyes.gif . If you are bidding in an auction there is an element of competition, and ego takes over, i have been in the situation where i have gone over my self imposed ceiling price because i don't want someone else to get it for a few quid more that i thought i wanted to pay, and as it creeps up you think, well i'll only put couple of £ more, then oh it's only a couple of £ more again, and before you know it you are way over the odds.

There is also the scenario where the auction has started a couple of weeks ago, you get into a bidding war and end up over the "current value" because at the time you rightly believe that this is your one chance to pick up said item, then a dealer looks on and sees the high price and offers another copy for sale at the lower current value, you can't exactly withdraw your bid otherwise you get a reutation as an untrustworthy buyer!

Oh it's soo compilcated :thumbsup:

Social source share

A large percentage of people who buy these records, play them out, or want to play them out. It amazes me that there is still some sort of percieved kudos left in playing out, what I consider dead & played out tunes such as the "Enchantments". Although I suppose it could have been bought by someone who is collecting the "Faro" label??

Des Parker

Social source share

It amazes me that there is still some sort of percieved kudos left in playing out, what I consider dead & played out tunes such as the "Enchantments".

Des Parker

it amazes me to.

but I remember not that long ago getting one of your sales tapes with a certain 45 by Willie Hightower on Capitol for a tenner. I thought it was OK but decided not to bother buying it.

Next thing I know its changing hands regulary for 70 -100UK :yes:

I should have cleaned you out of all your stock.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert