Kings Go Forth Next Big Thing ?

it's not bootlegging to play it off a cd downloaded from myspace but it is if you cut a 45?

I guess the most "pure" way to play an MP3, would be to bring it on a portable hard-drive and plug straight into the mixer or play it from a laptop.

Cutting an MP3/WAV-only track on a piece of vinyl or a CD is the same thing - just different formats.

Now... cutting it on a 45 (or recording it onto a CD) and then selling it - that's bootlegging.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

• Replies 202
  • Views 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I love it, another debate over a nice but not great record, I would agree it is by far the best new release record so far, by a long long way, however wouldn't have even got a second listen 40 years ago, would definitely only sold 500 copies or less then in the days of large vinyl sales.

Anyone want to discuss the new Mitty Collier CD or does that not fit the trendy over taste criteria.

I do love this thread, have found myself agreeing with most of what Mr Trouble has said in last year or so, at last an opportunity to shout him down. I feel much better now.

Social source share

Guest Paul

Record collectors are the freaks, not the band. 500+ people reserving copies of the 45 and you know how many have paid 99 cents to download it? I'll tell you. 10.

So is it 'all about the music' or all about object fetishism?

I am one of you freaks so don't take this the wrong way but this old chestnut of RECORDS vs THE MUSIC is F*&ing BORING as it's obviously about THE RECORDS! MUHAHAHAH

In the meantime this thread had been getting us like 300+plays a day on our page, thanks SS! And the band is the one's who decided to keep it at 500 copies.. there are plenty of other ways to make money for the group besides 45 sales. In fact I wonder what succesful groups these days rely on them for any percentage of their income. This is all a bit of fun.

thnx for the input though seriously good and bad. cheers guys

Well said. If people like the track so much they would buy the MP3 until the 45 comes out. It's sad that only ten people have paid 99 cents for a download. A bit of support doesn't cost much.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Guest Paul

It's odd that I really like it but at the same time I think it's highly overrated by some people (...no need to mention any names, James Trouble :D ).

But it's great to see the response it's getting and the attention will be good for the band.

Paul

Social source share

Well said. If people like the track so much they would buy the MP3 until the 45 comes out. It's sad that only ten people have paid 99 cents for a download. A bit of support doesn't cost much.

Paul Mooney

I'm one of the ten who downloaded it. But have to say it was a real bastard to download. payment via paypal failed a few times, going through the whole download process again and again. was just about to give up before it finally worked fine. maybe that was another reason for the low download number?

Edited by benji
Social source share

it's not bootlegging to play it off a cd downloaded from myspace but it is if you cut a 45?

I don't want to start a big debate on bootlegging, and I agree with Sebastian if it's an only MP3 track or CD track, go ahead. But if it's ok to make a carving out of the downloaded mp3, then it shouldn't be a problem for everyone who wants it. Why bother to make 500 copies, everyone can make one their self. :sweatingbullets:

Social source share

I don't want to start a big debate on bootlegging, and I agree with Sebastian if it's an only MP3 track or CD track, go ahead. But if it's ok to make a carving out of the downloaded mp3, then it shouldn't be a problem for everyone who wants it. Why bother to make 500 copies, everyone can make one their self. :sweatingbullets:

Funnily enough it's probably more expensive on the individual to get a carver cut than to buy the real record when it comes out! I'm sure anyone downloading and cutting it to a carver would probably want a proper copy when it comes out - in a way cutting one yourself from an MP3 is almost like making your own one-off promo copy to promote the record with, which if it's used for that purpose and not for personal glory (aka covering up new releases for example) can only be a good thing for the band.

Edited by J-Brew
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

The question that begs to be answered in my eyes is who contacted who over this recording, was this tune given to our dj fraternity on the basis of this publicity, or did our dj fraternity discover this band and liked there sound :)

Yeah, that Edwin Starr character, he was right cant, always sending out promo copies of his records to DJs trying to get publicity. I heard that glory hunter Marvin Gaye did the same. What a liberty! :sweatingbullets:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I think the "hype" started on the "funk forum" a couple of months ago when Jason posted a link to their myspace site. Everybody there was excited including me. Don't know how James Trouble got it??? Do you play CDs now? :sweatingbullets:

LOL, funnily enough I tried to get my iPod hooked up at the Rugby allnighter last month to play it before the vinyl carver had been delivered. I didn't have the right wires though :) I gave it to Soul Sam on a CDR, he said he was going to play it at Middleton if they had a CD player there, not sure if it happened?

I was sent a high quality file by the band so I could get it spun in the clubs.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Funnily enough it's probably more expensive on the individual to get a carver cut than to buy the real record when it comes out! I'm sure anyone downloading and cutting it to a carver would probably want a proper copy when it comes out - in a way cutting one yourself from an MP3 is almost like making your own one-off promo copy to promote the record with, which if it's used for that purpose and not for personal glory (aka covering up new releases for example) can only be a good thing for the band.

well really glad i started this the response has been great good and not so good , like someone said though these guy's are just like the artists from the 60's and 70's . they probably can't afford to press more than 500 copies , just like eddie parker,parliments , etc in their day . and why there's a phobia among some that it's a new release well that's why the scene is in a state narrow mindedness .as long as krl or mr levine aint involved that's what counts the real mccoy from the states. yes it is remenisent of delegetes of soul ,i thought that on first listen , just because it wasn't recorded in the golden era dosent mean it isn't worthy of a spin. i for one will be spinning it thesec guy,s deserve credit were credit,s due :sweatingbullets:

Social source share

After listening to KGF,thrash yourself with birch twigs,spin around 3 times chanting "Wigans not dead" whilst listening to "Nine times out of ten".Should do the trick.

Then go to the ducking stool,do not pass GO, do not collect £200 pounds.

And plunge a bodkin into your inner thigh.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

KGF tracks are really great tunes :sweatingbullets: ............but best thing ever :) ...........not by a long shot :D ....your listening history would have to be pretty limited to make that kind of call.......and if I heard the same track 3 times in an hour I wouldn't be impressed

Need to get things in perspective I think laugh.gif

Your taste in music and listening history would have to be pretty limited to not realise what a powerful club tune it is, but maybe not one for the chin strokers, hey? No one has said it is the 'best thing ever', but it's up there with the best examples of that style. You say it's "really great tune", but then you say it's not one of the best. What a weird thing to say, Cliff.

Here are some dictionary definitions for "great"

3. unusual or considerable in degree, power, intensity, etc.: great pain.

4. wonderful; first-rate; very good: We had a great time. That's great!

5. being such in an extreme or notable degree

And "one of the best" is described in the dictionary as:

20. "with the best", on a par with the most capable: He can play bridge with the best.

Maybe it's you who needs some perspective Cliff?

I'd be very surprised if it's not the most requested record on the northern scene this time next year. But hey, let's be honest, it may not be the first time that the northern soul scene ignores things for weird or perverse reasons, like, shock horror, it's a new recording. Not that it matters, where ever it gets played it will rock the dance. Northern scene, London trendy club or at a barn dance.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

JT,

"the best ever" or "one of the best ever", not really that much of difference, don't be anal about this.

as much as I like this record, this is just another "flavor of the month" type of track I'm afraid. to go down in history as a truly northern soul classic it has to have mass acceptance. And that's what I really doubt. way too funky for the majority of the Northern Soul scene. I'll bet you no one will be interested in it by the end of summer. See, what happened to Nicole Willis "if this ain't love" or Sharon Jones "how long", hyped, played, almost forgotten. and that within a rather short timeframe.

I wish the band all the best and all the success with this (and other forthcoming) releases. I'm sure there is a much better and more receptive audience outside the Northern Soul world for them.

Social source share

[

I'd be very surprised if it's not the most requested record on the northern scene this time next year. But hey, let's be honest, it may not be the first time that the northern soul scene ignores things for weird or perverse reasons, like, shock horror, it's a new recording. Not that it matters, where ever it gets played it will rock the dance. Northern scene, London trendy club or at a barn dance.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

JT,

"the best ever" or "one of the best ever", not really that much of difference, don't be anal about this.

as much as I like this record, this is just another "flavor of the month" type of track I'm afraid. to go down in history as a truly northern soul classic it has to have mass acceptance. And that's what I really doubt. way too funky for the majority of the Northern Soul scene. I'll bet you no one will be interested in it by the end of summer. See, what happened to Nicole Willis "if this ain't love" or Sharon Jones "how long", hyped, played, almost forgotten. and that within a rather short timeframe.

I wish the band all the best and all the success with this (and other forthcoming) releases. I'm sure there is a much better and more receptive audience outside the Northern Soul world for them.

Now then Benji, I'm far from anal!

But you're right about the mass acceptance being the true barometer to a tune being northern soul, and especially 'one of the best' northern soul tunes. Let's put it this way, I've never seen the kind of response this has been getting on the dance floors in northern soul clubs being played as an unknown. The floor rams EVERY time. But we'll see, maybe get this thread back up again at the end of the summer :)

And really, does it matter anyway? It's a fantastic tune that's better than a lot of the crap that gets spun and it deserves to be celebrated. :sweatingbullets:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

But you're right about the mass acceptance being the true barometer to a tune being northern soul, and especially 'one of the best' northern soul tunes. Let's put it this way, I've never seen the kind of response this has been getting on the dance floors in northern soul clubs being played as an unknown. The floor rams EVERY time. But we'll see, maybe get this thread back up again at the end of the summer :)

hey guy's don't it make a change to have such intrest in what could potentionally be the years' biggest record no back stabbing,no slagging off just great intrest and good comments ,what this site should be about :sweatingbullets:

Social source share

Saw them live a few months back in Milwaukee. I've got to admit, I'd much rather see them play the song than dance to their record in a club. One of the BEST live acts I've seen, hands down!

Social source share

Saw them live a few months back in Milwaukee. I've got to admit, I'd much rather see them play the song than dance to their record in a club. One of the BEST live acts I've seen, hands down!

you never know if the record does become big over here thenone of the northern promoter's might just have the bottle to get the band over here at one of the big events :sweatingbullets:

Social source share

Thanks Benji - didn't see this link on their site but thanks anyway :yes:

as and when i can sort the paypal associated link that keeps throwing up an error i'll be happy to pay for it..............i'll keep trying!

Cheers

Steve

you're not using firefox browser by any chance, do you? i had exactly the same problems like you. didn't see any SNOCAP link on the myspace site despite people posting on here that it should be there.

also, i had difficulties to sort out payment via paypal. sorry, but can't remember how I solved that eventually. but I did! I know that I have to use IE in some cases to get things sorted maybe this could help you too?

Social source share

you're not using firefox browser by any chance, do you? i had exactly the same problems like you. didn't see any SNOCAP link on the myspace site despite people posting on here that it should be there.

also, i had difficulties to sort out payment via paypal. sorry, but can't remember how I solved that eventually. but I did! I know that I have to use IE in some cases to get things sorted maybe this could help you too?

IE7 latest version Benji!

Have finally associated PayPal with snocap BUT I now cannot find 'Kings Go Forth' in their artist database?

?????????????

Steve

Social source share

But you're right about the mass acceptance being the true barometer to a tune being northern soul, and especially 'one of the best' northern soul tunes. Let's put it this way, I've never seen the kind of response this has been getting on the dance floors in northern soul clubs being played as an unknown. The floor rams EVERY time. But we'll see, maybe get this thread back up again at the end of the summer :no:

And really, does it matter anyway? It's a fantastic tune that's better than a lot of the crap that gets spun and it deserves to be celebrated. :wicked:

With all due respect JT you haven't been round all that long in the grand scheme of things. There's been plenty of records that have packed the floors, some have stood the test of time others have fallen by the way side. The Parliaments is one record from the last couple of years that did and still does get the reaction you talk about and that is a true northern soul record, a rare 60's soul record, not a modern day recording. It's not as good a northern record either as the Mello Souls which also caused quite a stir when first played and still rams the floor. And KGF will never be in the same class as records like Tommy & Derbys, Tommy Tate being one of the finest soul singers ever.

Lots of "new" records come along, played to death but are quickly forgotten as they don't have the longevity or lasting appeal of true 60's recordings, time will tell with regards to KGF. My bet it is will hardly be heard in a couple of years.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

I'd be very surprised if it's not the most requested record on the northern scene this time next year.

I'd be surprised if it gets played at all this time next year. It's a pleasant enough track, but if you keep playing it three times a night people will soon get very sick of it.

In addition, if it becomes widely available, the people who want a copy will all get one, and then stop asking for it when they are out, and if it doesn't become available, it's not good enough to become that much of an in demand record.

We'll have to wait and see though.

Social source share

trouble is an idiot!! it wont be anywhere near being played next year. he said at sheffield that it was the best thing he had ever heard (plenty of witnesses there)and should be played 6 times a night.answers on a postcard please as to my response!HE IS TRYING HARD GETTING UPTO 3 AND 4 SPINS OUT OF IT.but my god give me strength.im bored of it already.to be fair to him though he is still learning.

cheers

trev

Social source share

What so we all have to have been around since Wigan etc to champion a 45 do we? Love it or loathe it - its obviously going to be a big tune in the next few months - Whether it'll have longevity I don't know - But who cares? I'm (or have been) been b****** bored of oldies but it's each to their own and I think new tunes like this could well bring a lot of new fans/collectors etc to the northern / rare soul scene. Something has to help the scene carry on and when something does come along which might do that - It gets slagged off! Never mind eh?

Rich

Social source share

With all due respect JT you haven't been round all that long in the grand scheme of things. There's been plenty of records that have packed the floors, some have stood the test of time others have fallen by the way side. The Parliaments is one record from the last couple of years that did and still does get the reaction you talk about and that is a true northern soul record, a rare 60's soul record, not a modern day recording. It's not as good a northern record either as the Mello Souls which also caused quite a stir when first played and still rams the floor. And KGF will never be in the same class as records like Tommy & Derbys, Tommy Tate being one of the finest soul singers ever.

Lots of "new" records come along, played to death but are quickly forgotten as they don't have the longevity or lasting appeal of true 60's recordings, time will tell with regards to KGF. My bet it is will hardly be heard in a couple of years.

Correct chalky, great reply weve been round the block seen them come and go, what was the lat one everyone was going nuts about regarding this sort of thing FRANK POPP where is it now? there is plenty of overlooked stuff still to be played [look in the media section} from not only the 60`s but from every genre of the scene, without having to resort to new releases, :wicked:

Social source share

Guest lotusland

wow, thanks for the support guys. it's hard to believe that someone actually called ME cynical earlier in this thread! wow. anyways, here's the HTML for the SNOCAP player if it's not popping up for you. Just cut and paste this anywhere and it should pop up a snocap interface.

BTW i just checked and it was coming up for me on the site. Maybe try another browser as well if you're having problems.

thnx

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

With respect to you Chalky, don't be daft. 'not as good as the mello souls', 'not as good a singer as tommy tate', 'Parliements got well received as an unknown and still is', 'you've not been around very long', 'lots of new recordings get forgotten'.

What's your point, man?

Why not compare it to similar sounds instead of extreme unrelated examples...

Lots of new recordings that were played as new releases are still played today...

You don't respect my opinion because I'm younger than you, fine, but don't dress it up with an "With respect" at the start, say it how it is, don't be soft. You don't like it and you don't think it would have been played at Stafford. And because it's new it won't be around for long. We'll bump this thread again in 6 months time, and 12 months and 10 years time...

Anyway, why compare it to anything at all? It's a great track, deserves celebrating, deserves playing. Only time will tell how popular it will become.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

trouble is an idiot!! it wont be anywhere near being played next year. he said at sheffield that it was the best thing he had ever heard (plenty of witnesses there)and should be played 6 times a night.answers on a postcard please as to my response!HE IS TRYING HARD GETTING UPTO 3 AND 4 SPINS OUT OF IT.but my god give me strength.im bored of it already.to be fair to him though he is still learning.

cheers

trev

Trev, in my opinion it is the best new recording I've heard, since Joseph Henry. Could possibly even argue it's better than that, because it has a broader appeal. I doubt you know what Joseph Henry is though?

Now bore off back to what ever hole you've been hiding in making a whopping 60 posts in how ever many years it is you've been a member on here.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Would of been interesting to have just played it without saying what it was and seeing the reaction.....

Its a good record though, both sides.

Nah, better to say what it is. It exposes the wallys for what they are :wicked:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Well i've read all the posts and in my opinion (being a girl :no: ) its not my thing, i think there are enough awesome unknown stuff around to play out, that NEW stuff doesnt have to be used. Isnt one of the most exciting things on the scene, to hear something you've never heard before that was made in the 60's, then spend years at times trying to get a copy, i dont like the thought of being able to just pop out and buy a record, wheres the fun in that :wicked: but as always TIME WILL TELL each to there own luv Di xxxx :D

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Correct chalky, great reply weve been round the block seen them come and go, what was the lat one everyone was going nuts about regarding this sort of thing FRANK POPP where is it now? there is plenty of overlooked stuff still to be played [look in the media section} from not only the 60`s but from every genre of the scene, without having to resort to new releases, :no:

It's attitudes like this that are causing the northern scene to fall on it's arse. Thank goodness not everyone thinks like this though.

If you don't like it, say you don't like it. But don't be ridiculous with some weird perverse logic comparing it Frank Popp or Duffy :wicked:

It's tunes like KGF that help the scene to flourish and bring a fresh injection of youth and enthusiasm. Imagine being a 'kid', having been to your first northern soul event and heard KGF, being able to go on the web site for the club and see that the tune you heard is available as a new release, and you can go and see the band live. Fantastic.

And no one is compromising on quality, this double sider by KGF is truely a great record. It's a land mark recording. Outstanding.

Thank goodness our friends in Europe don't share such perversions as many do in the UK. And thank goodness there are DJs like Soul Sam + Keb Darge with the taste and vision to promote great new recordings.

_401901_meldrew150.jpg

"Naaar, it would never have been played at Stafford!"

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

It's attitudes like this that are causing the northern scene to fall on it's arse. Thank goodness not everyone thinks like this though.

If you don't like it, say you don't like it. But don't be ridiculous with some weird perverse logic comparing it Frank Popp or Duffy :wicked:

It's tunes like KGF that will allow the scene to flourish again and bring a fresh injection of youth and enthusiasm. Imagine being a 'kid', having been to your first northern soul event and heard KGF, being able to go on the web site for the club and see that the tune you heard is available as a new release, and you can go and see the band live. Fantastic.

And no one is compromising on quality, this double sider by KGF is truely a great record. It's a land mark recording. Outstanding.

Thank goodness our friends in Europe don't share such perversions as many do in the UK.

_401901_meldrew150.jpg

"Naaar, it would never have been played at Stafford!"

As YOU! quite rightly say TIME will tell, and we`ll see in 10yrs :no::D:yes:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

What so we all have to have been around since Wigan etc to champion a 45 do we? Love it or loathe it - its obviously going to be a big tune in the next few months - Whether it'll have longevity I don't know - But who cares? I'm (or have been) been b****** bored of oldies but it's each to their own and I think new tunes like this could well bring a lot of new fans/collectors etc to the northern / rare soul scene. Something has to help the scene carry on and when something does come along which might do that - It gets slagged off! Never mind eh?

Rich

Well said, Rich :wicked:

Social source share

With respect to you Chalky, don't be daft. 'not as good as the mello souls', 'not as good a singer as tommy tate', 'Parliements got well received as an unknown and still is', 'you've not been around very long', 'lots of new recordings get forgotten'.

What's your point, man?

Why not compare it to similar sounds instead of extreme unrelated examples...

Lots of new recordings that were played as new releases are still played today...

You don't respect my opinion because I'm younger than you, fine, but don't dress it up with an "With respect" at the start, say it how it is, don't be soft. You don't like it and you don't think it would have been played at Stafford. And because it's new it won't be around for long. We'll bump this thread again in 6 months time, and 12 months and 10 years time...

Anyway, why compare it to anything at all? It's a great track, deserves celebrating, deserves playing. Only time will tell how popular it will become.

I respect anyone's opinion, regardless of age, whether I or anyone else agree's with an opinion is a different matter. You made two statements which I don't agree with, the first one, best NS record ever I find particualrly difficult to agree with to be honest, almost laughable. But each to their own!!

And just to reiterate what I said earlier I do like the record, both sides. But whether it last the test of time like countless other NS records time will tell.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I respect anyone's opinion, regardless of age, whether I or anyone else agree's with an opinion is a different matter. You made two statements which I don't agree with, the first one, best NS record ever I find particualrly difficult to agree with to be honest, almost laughable. But each to their own!!

And just to reiterate what I said earlier I do like the record, both sides. But whether it last the test of time like countless other NS records time will tell.

I didn't say it was THE best. I said it was ONE of the best. It was Cliff Steele trying to twist what I said from 'one of' to 'the' :wicked: That's a pretty big difference. See the dictionary definition I posted earlier.

Spot on with your second point.

So, will you be playing it Chalky?

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Whatever the outcome here, isn`t this not an open forum? wasn`t this thread started to find out what peoples reaction to this record was? if critisism is not what was wanted then why ask the question? there are certain comments that are very dubious and that was why i was agreeing to chalky`s post, i was not comparing the record itself to records like duffy or frank popp merely the concept of newly released record, if theres one thing the northern soul scene holds it history and history has proved that new released sounds as with those ive mentioned have not stood the test of time, whilst i wish the band every success in there venture, but i can`t personally see this being played at local events 10yrs down the line, as i do believe that the scene must move forward and have allready said the vast amount of records that are unplayed/underplayed is immense, you are asking for an opinion and thats what were giving here thats all, nothing personal :wicked:

Social source share

james,fair play, you respond however you like as i did call you an idiot! however, many people on here prefer to look and dont actively participate in the discussions.my point was that by playing any record over and over in any one night is tedious regardless how good said tune is and if you get that point then you will have learnt something.i have no beef with people who are new to the scene.after reading your many many posts i have come to this conclusion though.i have seen people like you come and go.the funk scene got shot of you because of your arrogance and i wonder how long it is before you find a new hobby.

yours

boring off back to his hole

trev

Social source share

Bit argumentative and unnecessary that Trev imo.

Tis an exciting track and could see folk rushing to the floor for it. Bit frantic for my dance style, but it's shuffletastic, I'll give it that. 'One Day' is a goodie n'all imo. Can record to mp3 using Freecorder from myspace clip.

Social source share

Guest Paul

Here is the DIRECT LINK to the Kings Go Forth tracks on SNOCAP:

https://void.snocap.com/s/T3-31324-XLNFP32GTU-M

I created an account and added paypal as a payment method BUT I can't activate the payment, I just get error pages etc.

To pay by credit card it seems you need to have a US address in your SNOCAP profile and it needs to match the address on your credit card. Is SNOCAP for US customers only???

It's also a shame that these tracks don't show up on a regular search of SNOCAP tracks. The system is confusing and doesn't work.

If anyone can figure it out, please tell Andy (lotusland) so he can show everyone how they can support by paying for the downloads!

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

($1.98 richer than he wants to be) :wicked:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert