Kings Lynn Ymca

It's all a bit blurry but we are talking thirty odd years ago. Who can remember going to the "legendary" Kings Lynn Alldayers? Am sure the attendance at one topped 1,000 and the advert in Black Echoes described it as "The Wigan of The East"! Maybe a bit over the top but the music was really cutting edge of the day with the likes of Soul Sam, Arthur Fenn and the late, great Nev Wherry on the DJ line-up. Can even remember Nev saying over the mike that he had just returned from the States with a great newie, went on to spin Velvet Hammer - "Happy" for the first time! The title kind of fitted the event!

Oh, those memories!!!

Mark C

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

It's all a bit blurry but we are talking thirty odd years ago. Who can remember going to the "legendary" Kings Lynn Alldayers? Am sure the attendance at one topped 1,000 and the advert in Black Echoes described it as "The Wigan of The East"! Maybe a bit over the top but the music was really cutting edge of the day with the likes of Soul Sam, Arthur Fenn and the late, great Nev Wherry on the DJ line-up. Can even remember Nev saying over the mike that he had just returned from the States with a great newie, went on to spin Velvet Hammer - "Happy" for the first time! The title kind of fitted the event!

Oh, those memories!!!

Mark C

I went to a couple in my mid teens - seem to remember my folks giving me a lift over and they went to the Lynn festival and picked me up later... bless! King's Lynn always felt quite edgy when I was a kid, probably because I grew up in Wisbech, but there always seemed to be aggro in the air (usually outside). Much more relaxed were my Saturday morning trips over on the bus to visit Soul Bowl to buy a few tunes... if only I had kepy more of them.

Edited by PeteRobinson
Social source share

I went to a couple in my mid teens - seem to remember my folks giving me a lift over and they went to the Lynn festival and picked me up later... bless! King's Lynn always felt quite edgy when I was a kid, probably because I grew up in Wisbech, but there always seemed to be aggro in the air (usually outside). Much more relaxed were my Saturday morning trips over on the bus to visit Soul Bowl to buy a few tunes... if only I had kepy more of them.

Pete,

you're right about the edgy atmosphere. There were plenty of non-soulies that used to frequent the place and ace collector Andy Gill turned round one day to see his record box being dragged across the floor by some dodgy looking skinhead!

Mark C

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert