Moses Smith

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Guest WPaulVanDyk

I wondered if anyone knows anything about Moses Smith. It seems to be that a lot of info is hard to come by and i know of his songs like The Girl Accross the Street and Try My Love and You Don't Love Me so what else do we know like where he was born, is he still alive and so on

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Good question. Have always wondered about the lack of info on MS until something that happened recently.

Got a Cd with standard oldies on it, but tucked away on this CD is a different unreleased take of GATS.When listening to the lyrics I noticed that at the point on the released version where he sings 'I'm gonna ask her out on a date' , he sings 'I'm gonna aks her out on a date' on the unreleased take.

I'm led to believe that the aks pronunciation is typically Jamaican and I wonder whether Moses operated out of Jamaica into the States which may explain the limited info on him.

Paul

Social source share

Good question. Have always wondered about the lack of info on MS until something that happened recently.

Got a Cd with standard oldies on it, but tucked away on this CD is a different unreleased take of GATS.When listening to the lyrics I noticed that at the point on the released version where he sings 'I'm gonna ask her out on a date' , he sings 'I'm gonna aks her out on a date' on the unreleased take.

I'm led to believe that the aks pronunciation is typically Jamaican and I wonder whether Moses operated out of Jamaica into the States which may explain the limited info on him.

Paul

Paul, 'Aks' is an 'African American' pronunciation of 'ask'.

I can only imagine that Moses will have been asked (or aks'ed) to revise the pronunciation for the 'released' take to make the record sound more 'commercial'. Very interesting observation mate.

W Paul, "You Don't Love Me" is actually the Epitome of Sound - Not Moses Smith.

:huh:

Sean

Social source share

I can only imagine that Moses will have been asked (or aks'ed) to revise the pronunciation for the 'released' take to make the record sound more 'commercial'. Very interesting observation mate.

Sean

Not forgetting the his brilliant "Keep On Striving" :lol:

Social source share

Sean

Re: "aks"

take a listen to Buddy Ace "its gonna be me" for the line "When he AXE you out,tell him you can't go" about 40 secs in.

Social source share

Paul

You'll believe owt,ax is Yorkshire :huh: he's a Yorkshireman :lol:

Edited by ken
Social source share

We spent ages looking for Mr Smith and drew blanks all round, a real mystery man, on the subject of ask or Axe

Bobby thurstons classic "just ask me" will never sound the same when you listen to it again now

"just AXE me, Just AXE me baby, why don't cha just Axe me, just AXE me baby"

I'd buy you a hatchet, just say the word, don't use a chainsaw you'll look like a nerd

I want you to Axe me,

"just AXE me, Just AXE me baby, why don't cha just Axe me, just AXE me baby"

or something like that :thumbsup:

Rob

Social source share

Now I know you've got MS wrong -Yorkshiremen don't ask or aks anyone out on a date in case it costs 'em !!!

Paulbiggrin.gif

IF MS was a Yorkshireman , surely it would have been " Lass Across Back To Backs " ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert