Willie Cager - He's A Player B/w What Can You Do - Contact

Just been having a mad half hour upstairs playing a few tunes and sorting the play boxes out getting ready to play a few after a bit of a break soon (blame my son Luke and Chelsea Football Club for that....lol) I've been playing the brilliant Willie Cager - 'He's A Player' - Contact Records out of Chicago, a stunning little sleeper of a crossover record that really needs some turntable action B/W a real hard edged Northern dancer 'What Can You Do' two fantastic but very different sides that I'm sure will cut the mustard at venues if they have not already? The good thing is that this one will only set you back £25/30.00 but may well be a good idea to snap one up if you see it listed or in a sales box somewhere.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Just been having a mad half hour upstairs playing a few tunes and sorting the play boxes out getting ready to play a few after a bit of a break soon (blame my son Luke and Chelsea Football Club for that....lol) I've been playing the brilliant Willie Cager - 'He's A Player' - Contact Records out of Chicago, a stunning little sleeper of a crossover record that really needs some turntable action B/W a real hard edged Northern dancer 'What Can You Do' two fantastic but very different sides that I'm sure will cut the mustard at venues if they have not already? The good thing is that this one will only set you back £25/30.00 but may well be a good idea to snap one up if you see it listed or in a sales box somewhere.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Someone just announced in the soulfuldetroit forum that Willie Cager just died last weekend. Apparently he was living in Lansing, MI when he died, I knew a couple of people in Chicago who knew him from back in the day who were looking for him. Sad news.

Social source share

Someone just announced in the soulfuldetroit forum that Willie Cager just died last weekend. Apparently he was living in Lansing, MI when he died, I knew a couple of people in Chicago who knew him from back in the day who were looking for him. Sad news.

Sad news indeed, fantastic voice.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Awesome disc...both sides...defo worthy of further scene exposure.

I was lucky enough to find a small quantity of them over here, all mint/unplayed (along with a few Big Daddy Rogers on Midas too!). I didn't really get around to playing the HAP side for a fair while, as the WCYD side is sooo strong, but of late it is the side of choice at Flynn Towers...excellent cross-over feel (with a foot more in the 60's side imo).

I have two copies available at £20 each + P&P...and can easily see this one hitting the £75 then £100 even, with just a little exposure.

Don'cha just love those sparse looking Chicago labels?!

:lol:

post-9555-1210383882_thumb.jpg

post-9555-1210383893_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Awesome disc...both sides...defo worthy of further scene exposure.

I was lucky enough to find a small quantity of them over here, all mint/unplayed (along with a few Big Daddy Rogers on Midas too!). I didn't really get around to playing the HAP side for a fair while, as the WCYD side is sooo strong, but of late it is the side of choice at Flynn Towers...excellent cross-over feel (with a foot more in the 60's side imo).

I have two copies available at £20 each + P&P...and can easily see this one hitting the £75 then £100 even, with just a little exposure.

Don'cha just love those sparse looking Chicago labels?!

There you go everybody, snap these up! seems like a good idea to me, cheers for the scans Dave, the question is what was Big Daddy Rogers and Willie Cager doing in Japan? a country of great taste in records it would seem and I bet you are taking great joy in ploughing all the spare copies up...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

the question is what was Big Daddy Rogers and Willie Cager doing in Japan? a country of great taste in records it would seem and I bet you are taking great joy in ploughing all the spare copies up...lol

Simply original unsold stock, shipped to Japan during the 70's, still in their original packing boxes, stuck gathering dust in a warehouse...which is why a large amount of the discs I sell are in such fabulous condition

:rolleyes:

It is indeed my mission to liberate such discs and set them free...and I've gone out literally EVERY weekend for the last four years doing this...a filthy job, but someone has to do it!

Social source share

Simply original unsold stock, shipped to Japan during the 70's, still in their original packing boxes, stuck gathering dust in a warehouse...which is why a large amount of the discs I sell are in such fabulous condition

:rolleyes:

It is indeed my mission to liberate such discs and set them free...and I've gone out literally EVERY weekend for the last four years doing this...a filthy job, but someone has to do it!

Certainly Dave the condition of your sales stuff is first class, keep em' coming mate.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest Adrian

Was lucky enough to pick one of these up for £2 last year in my local record shop, I only mention it cause my local record shop never has anything decent.......think I'll go dig it out now....thanks for the reminder :lol:

Social source share

Wow that was quick Dave, two people got a bit of a bargain me thinks on this one. Will be playing this one on the show (both sides) over the next few weeks www.starpointradio.com

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Good shout for this 45 Mark, always rated this was played quite a bit on the modern/crossover scene hence the reason people like myself and Pat know it. And I totally agree will have it's day whatever side is favoured. As for price Dave methinks you practically gave them away at that price fella your a star and someone certainly got a bargain of this 45.

best fraser

fdsoul6345789

Social source share

Good shout for this 45 Mark, always rated this was played quite a bit on the modern/crossover scene hence the reason people like myself and Pat know it. And I totally agree will have it's day whatever side is favoured. As for price Dave methinks you practically gave them away at that price fella your a star and someone certainly got a bargain of this 45.

best fraser

fdsoul6345789

Records like this just confirm to me just how many superb quality records are out there for us to go at which have not been over exsposed or totally over looked, many don't cost huge amounts of cash if you pick them up at the right time which for me is what it's all about, reckon we should continue this type of thread on other tunes, got a few upstairs that fall into this category... I'll be back lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Records like this just confirm to me just how many superb quality records are out there for us to go at which have not been over exsposed or totally over looked, many don't cost huge amounts of cash if you pick them up at the right time which for me is what it's all about, reckon we should continue this type of thread on other tunes, got a few upstairs that fall into this category... I'll be back lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Agreed mark ive given up dreaming about getting the big ticket records now i very rarely spend over £50 nowadays unless its a real bargain of course, and theres some fantastic stuff to be had :thumbup:

Social source share

Agreed mark ive given up dreaming about getting the big ticket records now i very rarely spend over £50 nowadays unless its a real bargain of course, and theres some fantastic stuff to be had :thumbup:

I'm with you on that one Harry 100%, to be honest outside of one or two all time want's kind of affair the big ticket records don't really float my boat much anymore in terms of owning them that is, like so many of us over the years I've had some pretty tasty tunes through my hands and I'm glad to say there is still a few upstairs some of which can be considered big ticket items but from a music perspective the big priced items don't give me any more pleasure than say a twenty quider like Willie Cager for example.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert