Gasher

• Replies 23
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Think Tommy told me his wife was in the Ivories, if memory serves me correctly...

That is not true (I'm not doubting he told you that, just its accuracy), his wife was in the trends for a while, not the ivories. You can listen to both the trends and the ivories interviews on my website. Jerrone of the trends (and later Channel 3) actually had a Trends photo with Tommy's wife in it, but I don't have a scan of that one. What's funny is that even though Tommy wrote the Ivories 45s, the Ivories seemed to think that Tommy Dorsey was just a mailman from the neighborhood and not connected to the Trends... but that couldn't be true because the trends and ivories went to the same high school and it would just be too coincidental.

I have two ivories photos and two trends photos and they are all black in all photos. I will post a trends photo when I get home.

Edited by boba
Social source share

I have a photo of the trends, what do you need it for? T

I just need it for clarification on the band members

to settle a bet also my mate thinks they are white?

please post it boba

tia gasher

Also, if you just want to know the group members, it is Eddie Dunn (deceased), Ralph (I forget his last name, he's a pastor in Michigan now, but it's in my interview), Emmett Gardner Jr. (same guy as on Maxwell), Jerrone Johnson (later of Channel 3). If you want to prove their race, all you have to do is listen to two of the group members talk about themselves at: www.sittinginthepark.com/interviews.html

Like is your friend going to listen to them and think that they are white people or that they are lying about being in the trends?

Social source share

No His friend is confused as to How they sound on Thanks for alittle lovin (which imo sounds black) and The Big parade which sounds totally white and sounds like it was made for the 60s surf /beach scene.

Please listen to both and see what you think.

regards Steve

Edited by Ernie Andrews
Social source share

No His friend is confused as to How they sound on Thanks for alittle lovin (which imo sounds black) and The Big parade which sounds totally white and sounds like it was made for the 60s surf /beach scene.

regards Steve

There are two lead singers in the group. Eddie Dunn and Emmett Gardner. Eddie Dunn sings on the 'beach' sounding records (as you refer to them) and Emmett Gardner sings on the harder sounding records. Their goal was 'modern harmony', 'big parade' was supposed to sound like the 5th dimension -- e.g. sort of like up and away in my beautiful balloon.. "his friend" can listen to the interview for more information as to what they were trying to do. I already know what both records sound like (I own every trends 45 and all 3 45s they previously recorded as 'ze majestics') and have talked to the three surviving group members, I know who sings on what tracks. I don't understand how people just start rumors and spread lies around like fact, it's very frustrating. Tommy Dorsey (the guitarist for the trends) actually wrote a record for the Okaysions and the Okaysions covered at least one of their records. It was the dream of many Black groups to crossover to the pop market.

Social source share

regards Steve

Quite a few black artists purposely catered to the beach scene as well. The southeastern US beach scene was not entirely a caucasion phenomenon. In fact, Tee Fletcher has said that he didn't sing soul, but beach music. No disrespect, but what one thinks and what the facts are don't always match.

Social source share

Quite a few black artists purposely catered to the beach scene as well. The southeastern US beach scene was not entirely a caucasion phenomenon. In fact, Tee Fletcher has said that he didn't sing soul, but beach music. No disrespect, but what one thinks and what the facts are don't always match.

Hey Brian, Greg would probably know more as he's talked to him, but I think Tommy Dorsey actually lives in Georgia now. Emmett told me he was a photographer in Atlanta, I think. Just FYI, I don't know if that is true or not.

Social source share

Also, if you just want to know the group members, it is Eddie Dunn (deceased), Ralph (I forget his last name, he's a pastor in Michigan now, but it's in my interview), Emmett Gardner Jr. (same guy as on Maxwell), Jerrone Johnson (later of Channel 3). If you want to prove their race, all you have to do is listen to two of the group members talk about themselves at: www.sittinginthepark.com/interviews.html

Like is your friend going to listen to them and think that they are white people or that they are lying about being in the trends?

just listened to some of the shows on the site, fantastic, thanks for posting the link.

Social source share

There are two lead singers in the group. Eddie Dunn and Emmett Gardner. Eddie Dunn sings on the 'beach' sounding records (as you refer to them) and Emmett Gardner sings on the harder sounding records. Their goal was 'modern harmony', 'big parade' was supposed to sound like the 5th dimension -- e.g. sort of like up and away in my beautiful balloon.. "his friend" can listen to the interview for more information as to what they were trying to do. I already know what both records sound like (I own every trends 45 and all 3 45s they previously recorded as 'ze majestics') and have talked to the three surviving group members, I know who sings on what tracks. I don't understand how people just start rumors and spread lies around like fact, it's very frustrating. Tommy Dorsey (the guitarist for the trends) actually wrote a record for the Okaysions and the Okaysions covered at least one of their records. It was the dream of many Black groups to crossover to the pop market.

Sorry I dont understand what you mean- "Start Rumours" Spread Lies - Whose been doing that _ All the gasher wanted was some info as a debate started as to whether the Trends were Black or White. I would be careful about stating that someone Spread lies. This is a site for debate!

Social source share

Sorry I dont understand what you mean- "Start Rumours" Spread Lies - Whose been doing that _ All the gasher wanted was some info as a debate started as to whether the Trends were Black or White. I would be careful about stating that someone Spread lies. This is a site for debate!

maybe not you specifically, but speculation about artists identity, race, etc. is not 'debate'. Plenty of people here and on other forums post misinformation as 'fact' based on their speculation, which is equivalent to spreading lies. It gets posted to a public site and people further spread the misinformation. People can 'debate' whether they like a record or not, I don't see most factual and historical information that people just make up as something that to be 'debated'. The whole reason I post interviews with artists is so that people can hear their accounts from the source -- e.g. they don't even have to believe me. I just can't believe that even after posting that and a link people still are speculating when there is nothing to 'debate'. I might sometimes speculate about an artist, record, etc. but I will always put it forward as straight speculation unless I have actually confirmed facts from a solid source.

Social source share

A question I would ask as well after a listening to Can You Dig The Blues & Not Too Old to Cry.

I don't take no stuff.

again, there is nothing to 'debate' or 'question' here, given that you can hear the artists themselves talk about recording and singing these songs, performing them on tv, etc. I can't believe this is even an open issue. Are you proposing that I staged an interview with fake artists? Or that they lied about being on record?

Social source share

Here is a photo. From left to right: Eddie Dunn, Ralph O'Neil, Jerrone Johnson, Emmett Gardner. Eddie Dunn is the guy that sings lead "to be happy enough" (one of my favorite records of all time), "Not too old to cry", etc. There's nothing else I can do besides presenting audio and visual evidence of the facts so this is my last post on this topic. At this point if people want to post any conspiracy theories, ignore the photo, etc. go ahead.

post-5120-1210293395_thumb.jpg

Social source share

That is not true (I'm not doubting he told you that, just its accuracy), his wife was in the trends for a while, not the ivories. You can listen to both the trends and the ivories interviews on my website. Jerrone of the trends (and later Channel 3) actually had a Trends photo with Tommy's wife in it, but I don't have a scan of that one. What's funny is that even though Tommy wrote the Ivories 45s, the Ivories seemed to think that Tommy Dorsey was just a mailman from the neighborhood and not connected to the Trends... but that couldn't be true because the trends and ivories went to the same high school and it would just be too coincidental.

I have two ivories photos and two trends photos and they are all black in all photos. I will post a trends photo when I get home.

You're right. Knew there was some connection with the Ivories, just forgot what it was. Was a long time ago that I spoke with him. And yes, he was in Georgia when I talked to him.

Social source share

Here is a photo. From left to right: Eddie Dunn, Ralph O'Neil, Jerrone Johnson, Emmett Gardner. Eddie Dunn is the guy that sings lead "to be happy enough" (one of my favorite records of all time), "Not too old to cry", etc. There's nothing else I can do besides presenting audio and visual evidence of the facts so this is my last post on this topic. At this point if people want to post any conspiracy theories, ignore the photo, etc. go ahead.

post-5120-1210293395_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the photo thats all that was asked

I am sorry but I was not sure if Black or white before you put the link up about the interviews (I am sure the gasher didnt have access to the interviews) or he would not have asked for the photo in the first place.

There are lots of us over here who are not sure about certain groups and that is why we ask the question. Its not being racist - Its about clarification or a debate between friends who want the answers.

Thats why this site is brilliant - people often speculate and then are informed by others - its not about spreading rumours or lies- You have totally missed the point

You learn things everyday.

I could tell you stories about Shirley Bassy that only a handful of people know but if someone said to the contrary what I know I wouldnt accuse them of spreading Rumours or telling lies - I would just say they are wrong or misinformed.

Anyhow thanks for the Photo and the Gasher won the argument over his friend on this occasion. rolleyes.gif

Social source share

i was 100000000000000000000000% sure

as I HAD SEEN THE PHOTO BEFORE

HAHA....DONT TELL ME SHIRLEY BASSEY IS A BLOKE ohmy.gif:lol:

I KNOW THAT IS TRUE AS IVE SEEN HER COCK BEFORE TOO :lol:laugh.gif

YOURE SOME GADGIE STEVEO

LOVE THE GASHER

PS DID YOU KOW TIMI YURO WAS ACTUALLY A BLACK MAN?

ACCORDING TO SOME SO CALLED DJ AND PROMOTER WHO WILL REMAIN NAMELSS

Edited by GASHER
Social source share

again, there is nothing to 'debate' or 'question' here, given that you can hear the artists themselves talk about recording and singing these songs, performing them on tv, etc. I can't believe this is even an open issue. Are you proposing that I staged an interview with fake artists? Or that they lied about being on record?

You of course are suggesting that every artist you interview remembers everything in great detail with perfect recall.

And that just doesn't happen either.

Social source share