• Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

MGM 13217 - The Panic Is On / There She Is - 1964

3153 - Lou Johnson - Reach Out For Me / Magic Potion - 1963

3127 - Lou Johnson - You Better Let Him Go / Wouldn't That Be Something - 1962

3115 - Lou Johnson - If I Never Get To Love You / Thank You Anyway (Mr. DJ) - 1962

Not sure if Lou's is the first version.

Social source share

IMHO, a nice track but dog poo when compared to roy hamilton's masterpiece. sorry!

Bit harsh, bloody good stab at it by Lou though. Just doesn't have the "tell me tell me tell me" bit at the end which puts Roy's ahead by a nose I reckon. wink.gif

Social source share

IMHO, a nice track but dog poo when compared to roy hamilton's masterpiece. sorry!

Have to agree with you.

p.s. I posted this up about 3 years ago with another Lou J track from the unissued LP, if anyone still has that it's worth a listen, can't remember the title now but it's really slow until the middle when it goes berserk

Social source share

Bit harsh, bloody good stab at it by Lou though. Just doesn't have the "tell me tell me tell me" bit at the end which puts Roy's ahead by a nose I reckon. :thumbsup:

Isn't it Roy Hamilton's version of Reach Out For Me from the RCA Victor lp which features the "tell me, tell me, tell me" ending?

Lou's version of The Panic Is On is very interesting and always sounded good when Ady played it out. At home it sounds a bit unfinished when compared to Roy Hamilton's epic. Still great to hear his voice on anything though. I've stated here before that I feel he was a vital piece in the jigsaw of early soul, as his phrasing and power was far more down home than Roy Hamilton, Jackie Wilson, Sam Cooke etc. In that way he really paved the way for the success of, for example, Otis Redding.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Isn't it Roy Hamilton's version of Reach Out For Me from the RCA Victor lp which features the "tell me, tell me, tell me" ending?

:thumbsup: Yes of course it is! Crossed wires, sorry Gareth - was thinking of Lou's version of that..

Social source share

I am a big fan of both Lou and Roy and enjoy both versions...I like the melancholy feel of Lou's take, but Roy's is the superior (vocals and arrangement)...imo.

Oddly enough I found the following in a shop the other weekend:

LOU JOHNSON-UNSATISFIED-BIG TOP (blue)- £ 15.00

LOU JOHNSON-MAGIC POTION (inst) / THERE'S ALWAYS SOMETHING...-BIG HILL- £ 10.00

LOU JOHNSON-KENTUCKY BLUEBIRD-BIG HILL D- £ 10.00

LOU JOHNSON-IT AIN'T NO USE-HILL TOP- £ 10.00

I'll cover the postage if anyone wants them as a set.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Lou's version of The Panic Is On is very interesting and always sounded good when Ady played it out. At home it sounds a bit unfinished when compared to Roy Hamilton's epic. Still great to hear his voice on anything though. I've stated here before that I feel he was a vital piece in the jigsaw of early soul, as his phrasing and power was far more down home than Roy Hamilton, Jackie Wilson, Sam Cooke etc. In that way he really paved the way for the success of, for example, Otis Redding.

For what its worth I think Lou Johnsons most spine tingling, dramatic and soulful track is his take on -Last One To Be Loved

Social source share

Bit harsh, bloody good stab at it by Lou though. Just doesn't have the "tell me tell me tell me" bit at the end which puts Roy's ahead by a nose I reckon. :thumbup:

ok, it's indeed a bit harsh to say lou's take is dog poo, that's german diplomacy for you :thumbsup:

i just think lou sounds like a more demo-ish take whereas roy is a prime example of a big-city-everything-but-the-kitchen-sink-thrown-in-beat ballad.

Social source share

paid $100 mint copy mgm many moons ago still in my all time top ten the voice just so powerful so great to hear tunes like this out :sweatingbullets:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert