The Ebonys - Don't Knock Me - Soul Clock 108

I would firstly like to thank and credit my good friend Mr Sid Jones for turning me onto this little gem of a tune from The Ebonys - Don't Knock Me - Soul Clock 108, Sid came round my house last Friday with a few tunes for me to have a look at and he pulled this dynamite tune out to play, a record which I've seen listed and out and about over the years but ignored, silly me as this has it all, fantastic big voiced duet with massive great big dangly bits, only about twenty quid or less, this one is destined for bigger things if given some turntable action, pretty sure the Fuller Brothers are lurking around on this one or possibly just because of the label connection, first class tune that needs playing, cheers Sid as I managed to locate a copy within minutes of hearing it, I suggest you get this now if you can as it's one that will be swallowed up into collections if not in them already.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

• Replies 40
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I would firstly like to thank and credit my good friend Mr Sid Jones for turning me onto this little gem of a tune from The Ebonys - Don't Knock Me - Soul Clock 108, Sid came round my house last Friday with a few tunes for me to have a look at and he pulled this dynamite tune out to play, a record which I've seen listed and out and about over the years but ignored, silly me as this has it all, fantastic big voiced duet with massive great big dangly bits, only about twenty quid or less, this one is destined for bigger things if given some turntable action, pretty sure the Fuller Brothers are lurking around on this one or possibly just because of the label connection, first class tune that needs playing, cheers Sid as I managed to locate a copy within minutes of hearing it, I suggest you get this now if you can as it's one that will be swallowed up into collections if not in them already.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Hi Mark,

Was sat next to Sid at the sales tables on Saturday night at the all nighter in Maxims. He pulled a few tunes out of his sales box for me to listen and this was one of them....totally agree it's an amazing track that on one listen I bought straight off him!

Played it for a friend today and have just bought another one for him...top notch 45 at a great price :wicked:

Adam.

Social source share

Hi Mark,

Was sat next to Sid at the sales tables on Saturday night at the all nighter in Maxims. He pulled a few tunes out of his sales box for me to listen and this was one of them....totally agree it's an amazing track that on one listen I bought straight off him!

Played it for a friend today and have just bought another one for him...top notch 45 at a great price yes.gif

Adam.

Sid said he was keeping his copy the bugger....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

not to speak on mark's behalf, but yes, same song. ebonys version has stronger, more soulful vocals imo.

mmmhhh,

i personally rate more the connie tanzell version than the ebonys'.

There's also another version by the fuller bros on soul clock, which i've never heard any chance of a soundclip?

Social source share

Looks like there are at least three versions of this then, Ebonys, Fuller Brothers and Connie Tanzell, having only heard The Ebonys version I can't comment on the other two, I would suspet judging by the quality of The Ebonys version that the other two are up there to, I did hint there might be a Fuller Brothers connections being on Soul Clock, the beautiful thing with this music of ours is we are all constantly sharing and learning all the time..........I wonder if The Whispers had a go at this too????

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Looks like there are at least three versions of this then, Ebonys, Fuller Brothers and Connie Tanzell, having only heard The Ebonys version I can't comment on the other two, I would suspet judging by the quality of The Ebonys version that the other two are up there to, I did hint there might be a Fuller Brothers connections being on Soul Clock, the beautiful thing with this music of ours is we are all constantly sharing and learning all the time..........I wonder if The Whispers had a go at this too????

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

I love The Ebony's AND Connie Tanzell's version.............in fact I love virtually everything on Soul Clock - one of me fave labels ever!

Fuller Bros version is on Bell.........don't actually have this version..............bet it's good though :lol:

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

I love The Ebony's AND Connie Tanzell's version.............in fact I love virtually everything on Soul Clock - one of me fave labels ever!

Fuller Bros version is on Bell.........don't actually have this version..............bet it's good though :lol:

Cheers

Steve

'The Ebonys' is already massive at Bicknell Towers just got a nice clean copy through the post this very AM from JM and will become a 'Soul Shack' power play very shortly, would love to hear 'The Fuller Brothers' version though, is the Connie Tanzell version hard to find just out of interest?

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

I've been mugged! All my Ebony's have now left the building. Bicknell,Topping and friends turn me over again...

And I check on the Fuller Brothers on Bell and that's been snapped up as well.

There's no stopping you guys.

Social source share

I've been mugged! All my Ebony's have now left the building. Bicknell,Topping and friends turn me over again...

Sorry John, whoever got 'The Fuller Brothers' version moved pretty quick as I looked and it showed as N/A on your site, I did send you a message earlier regarding this, best you look for the twenty five count box of this as a show goes out on May 18th featuring 'The Ebonys' version and I thought it could be a 'JM Rare Soul Man Selection' but it sounds like you have run out of copies and it's all my fault, next time I'll say nothing.......lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

:yes: Cheers John, I shall look forward to mine arriving!

Adam.

Social source share

Adam, I thought you bought Sid's copy.....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

I did! Got it home and was so impressed that I played it for a mate who doesn't use the ol internet thing and he asked me if I could get him one as well....looks like I was lucky enough to get Johns last copy for him :yes:

Adam.

Social source share

I did! Got it home and was so impressed that I played it for a mate who doesn't use the ol internet thing and he asked me if I could get him one as well....looks like I was lucky enough to get Johns last copy for him :yes:

Adam.

Cool Adam understand totally, pretty good little record that deserves a spin I feel, no doubt someone has already given it some turntable action it so richly deserves.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

I've been mugged! All my Ebony's have now left the building. Bicknell,Topping and friends turn me over again... And I check on the Fuller Brothers on Bell and that's been snapped up as well. There's no stopping you guys.

Think Mark might want some 'commission' on those transactions John :yes::thumbup::ohmy:

Social source share

Fuller Bros version is on Bell.........don't actually have this version..............bet it's good though :D

Cheers

Steve

Just managed to locate 'The Fuller Brothers' version so I'm a happy camper, two versions down ans one to go.....lol anyone who can make it the hat trick with the Connie Tanzell version for sale please get in touch bicknellmark@aol.com

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Just managed to locate 'The Fuller Brothers' version so I'm a happy camper, two versions down ans one to go.....lol anyone who can make it the hat trick with the Connie Tanzell version for sale please get in touch bicknellmark@aol.com

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

the connie tanzell record is much harder to find than the other two, there was one on ebay very recently but I hadn't seen one for sale in a long time before that.

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

hi

mark

good job done another gem from the lime street club

sid

Social source share

I have a Bell Demo, Steve.

Yes - a goodly choon!

:D

Sean

Ey up Poserman

Just bin reading me R&B Indies book (like you do) and thought i'd have a look at Soul Clock.............and bugger me if the Fuller Brothers version is the second release on the label! It must have come out on this first before lease to Bell!

Mark - fyi I've sold Connie Tanzell once before, many moons ago for about a ton. This is the first release on the label btw!

Cheers

Steve

ps I now need a copy of the Fuller Bros version on Soul Clock!!!!!!!!!!! Not on the Bell reissue :wicked:laugh.gif Only joking!

Social source share

Ey up Poserman

Cheers

Steve

ps I now need a copy of the Fuller Bros version on Soul Clock!!!!!!!!!!! Not on the Bell reissue :wicked:laugh.gif Only joking!

Hi Sweet Thing,

Yeh, I'd 'Clocked' that on the Soul Clock discography.

https://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/soulclock.htm

Don't remember seeing one though on the old greenie thang logo!

Or have i got a copy lurking in the vault!

I'll be letting ye know!

:D

PoserMan

Social source share

Ey up Poserman

Just bin reading me R&B Indies book (like you do) and thought i'd have a look at Soul Clock.............and bugger me if the Fuller Brothers version is the second release on the label! It must have come out on this first before lease to Bell!

Mark - fyi I've sold Connie Tanzell once before, many moons ago for about a ton. This is the first release on the label btw!

Cheers

Steve

ps I now need a copy of the Fuller Bros version on Soul Clock!!!!!!!!!!! Not on the Bell reissue laugh.gif:lol: Only joking!

Mr Plumb as you have far too many records I feel you perhaps need to sell me the Connie Tanzell 45, you know it makes sense....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Mr Plumb as you have far too many records I feel you perhaps need to sell me the Connie Tanzell 45, you know it makes sense....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

No Mark, Connie's been a prisoner at Plumb Towers for many years now with no date for release :thumbup:

I did however find two spare copies of the Eboneys whilst gathering all the 'Soul Clock' clan together last night :thumbsup:

Has anyone got the Fuller Bros version on Soul Clock as this is making a big hole in the label run?

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

No Mark, Connie's been a prisoner at Plumb Towers for many years now with no date for release :thumbup:

I did however find two spare copies of the Eboneys whilst gathering all the 'Soul Clock' clan together last night :thumbsup:

Has anyone got the Fuller Bros version on Soul Clock as this is making a big hole in the label run?

Cheers

Steve

Steve sell the two spare copies of The Ebonys to JM as he's now out of stock....lol, but knowing you they will be held onto as till such time it's a Soul Shack monster....lol

Just got Bell Fuller Brothers but sadly not on Soul Clock, Connie Tanzell version anyone????

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Steve sell the two spare copies of The Ebonys to JM as he's now out of stock....lol, but knowing you they will be held onto as till such time it's a Soul Shack monster....lol

Just got Bell Fuller Brothers but sadly not on Soul Clock, Connie Tanzell version anyone????

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Tell you what Mark - let's work on a Soul Shack competition to win one of them?

How's that sound?

Social source share

Can someone enlighten me ?

Which track was the A side of SC 108. According to the discography, Can't get enough was the B side but I have a demo with this track on both sides.

Cheers

Phatspinner

I think it's already been mentioned that SC 108 demo's were double sided and 'Don't Knock Me' was only on the Stock/Issue copies.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Yes, always thought it would have it's time in the sun, maybe that time is now.

Well Tony The Ebonys and Fuller Brothers versions most certainly will lol I've not even heard the Connie Tanzell version and I want one but I reckon it could prove difficult????

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Well Tony The Ebonys and Fuller Brothers versions most certainly will lol I've not even heard the Connie Tanzell version and I want one but I reckon it could prove difficult????

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

I'll dig it out to play at Burnley on the 24th (plug,plug)

Social source share

Hiya Mark

I've stuck one to one side - I'll be in touch and we'll get summat sorted for the Shack in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers

Steve

Fantastic Steve let's do it over the next couple of weeks no rush but a nice prize cheers, I've had no luck with finding the Connie Tanzell verion, John Anderson, Tim Brown etc. a big fat NO! I'm scared to ask JM in case I get a clip round the earhole, looks like it's going to be the ellusive one....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert