Magicians - Keep Your Hands Off My Baby - Villa

Been out and about in the car recently and can't stop playing Magicians - 'Keep Your Hands Off My Baby' - Villa, been around years I know but you sometimes forget just how good some records are and the car CD player has confirmed this to me on this awesome record, it's manic totally mental with a back beat that does not stop from start to finish, despite the full on uptempo driving production the vocal is pretty unique to other records of it's type, the vocal performance on this record is stunning it's like the group ignore the driving furious beat and set about recording a furious paced record with an almost relaxed laid back vocal style with the lead Magician nailing every word of the song crystal clear it's awesome almost detatched from everything else going on in the record, the backing vocals are stunning, it's a manic tune for sure but performed in an almost lazy style, if you play it and really get into the heart of the song i.e. through a set of headphones and home in on the lead vocal you will see what I'm trying to say here, proper Northern Soul as it should be, pure class and quality no question.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

• Replies 35
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Been out and about in the car recently and can't stop playing Magicians - 'Keep Your Hands Off My Baby' - Villa, been around years I know but you sometimes forget just how good some records are and the car CD player has confirmed this to me on this awesome record, it's manic totally mental with a back beat that does not stop from start to finish, despite the full on uptempo driving production the vocal is pretty unique to other records of it's type, the vocal performance on this record is stunning it's like the group ignore the driving furious beat and set about recording a furious paced record with an almost relaxed laid back vocal style with the lead Magician nailing every word of the song crystal clear it's awesome almost detatched from everything else going on in the record, the backing vocals are stunning, it's a manic tune for sure but performed in an almost lazy style, if you play it and really get into the heart of the song i.e. through a set of headphones and home in on the lead vocal you will see what I'm trying to say here, proper Northern Soul as it should be, pure class and quality no question.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Agree Totally, 3 Different Label Variations too, I think.

I bought this in the last couple of Years, don't know what took me so long, Awesome Tune.

Like you say been around for years, thus overlooked but what a record.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

That's for that Roger, blinding mental Northern Soul....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Wow, weird you should bring the Magicians up Mark 'cos I was looking at the bloke's 60's collection which I've posted up on here (elsewhere in this section) and there's a ton of Magicians records on his list and I only know about 3 of em....

MAGICIANS ABOUT MY LOVE 1966

MAGICIANS AN INVITATION TO CRY 1965

MAGICIANS ANGEL ON THE CORNER 1966

MAGICIANS BACK DOOR MAN 1967

MAGICIANS DOUBLE GOOD FEELING 1967

MAGICIANS I WON'T BE THERE TOMORROW 1967

MAGICIANS I'D LIKE TO KNOW 1966

MAGICIANS I'LL TELL THE WORLD ABOUT YOU 1966

MAGICIANS INVITATION TO CRY 1966

MAGICIANS IS IT ALL GONE 1966

MAGICIANS LADY FINGERS 1967

MAGICIANS PAINTING ON WOOD 1967

MAGICIANS RAIN DON'T FALL ON ME NO MORE 1967

MAGICIANS THAT'S WHAT LOVE IS MADE OF 1967

MAGICIANS WHO DO YOU LOVE 1967

MAGICIANS YOU'RE SO FINE 1967

Makes you wonder if there's any other goodies in there - I always loved "Is It All Gone" - I had a cracked copy which played fine for years but it just never broke for me back in the day........

Ian D :thumbup:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Wow, weird you should bring the Magicians up Mark 'cos I was looking at the bloke's 60's collection which I've posted up on here (elsewhere in this section) and there's a ton of Magicians records on his list and I only know about 3 of em....

Makes you wonder if there's any other goodies in there - I always loved "Is It All Gone" - I had a cracked copy which played fine for years but it just never broke for me back in the day........

Ian D :thumbup:

Hi Ian, the hard one to find and possibly their best record is the brilliant 'Love, Let's Try It Again' - Villa 703, still on my 'want's list' and proving very difficult to locate.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

Settle down Mark!

I hope you werent dancin to that loony-tune biggrin.gif:thumbup:

"Is it all gone" is more our pace and just as good.

:hypo:

Social source share

Guest jinx74

Ian D :D

i dont know what magicians recorded those songs but it wasnt the same group on Villa. ive sat with members of the band and went over their records with them. is it all gone/why do i do, keep your hands/why must you cry, love lets try/dance a hole are the only three i know. we talked about them recording more but no where near whats up there. who made this list and are there labels attached with these? thanks...

Social source share

I did a thread a couple of weeks ago - Tunes that you cant get out of your head and guess what the tune was ? Yes The Magicians - keep your hands off my baby! £20 record that is just pure dancing madness- Reminds me of the servicemen - are you angry in the sense that its ll over the place at times! :D

But sheer brilliance

Social source share

i dont know what magicians recorded those songs but it wasnt the same group on Villa. ive sat with members of the band and went over their records with them. is it all gone/why do i do, keep your hands/why must you cry, love lets try/dance a hole are the only three i know. we talked about them recording more but no where near whats up there. who made this list and are there labels attached with these? thanks...

Magicians - An Invitation To Cry is on Columbia and are a white garage band.

Social source share

Magicians - An Invitation To Cry is on Columbia and are a white garage band.

'The Magicians' group I'm on about here is the one that cut the Villa sides.

Love Let's Try It Again B/W Dance A Hole In Your Shoes - Villa 703

Why Do I Do These Foolish Things B/W Is It All Gone - Villa 704

Why Must You Cry (I Deeply Love You) B/W Keep Your Hands Off My Baby - Villa 706

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

Ian D :thumbsup:

Frank,

These are a different group who recorded for Columbia, horrid white pop if I remember correctly.

MAGICIANS ABOUT MY LOVE 1966 -Columbia 43608

MAGICIANS AN INVITATION TO CRY 1965 - Columbia 43435

MAGICIANS DOUBLE GOOD FEELING 1967 Columbia 44061

MAGICIANS I'LL TELL THE WORLD ABOUT YOU 1966 Columbia 43725

MAGICIANS INVITATION TO CRY 1966 - Columbia 43435

MAGICIANS LADY FINGERS 1967 Columbia 44061

MAGICIANS PAINTING ON WOOD 1967 UK MCA MU1046

etc etc

There's also a Magicians on Decca

So don't go getting excited, the man doesn't have unknown Magians tracks.. if only.

Social source share

Frank,

These are a different group who recorded for Columbia, horrid white pop if I remember correctly.

MAGICIANS ABOUT MY LOVE 1966 -Columbia 43608

MAGICIANS AN INVITATION TO CRY 1965 - Columbia 43435

MAGICIANS DOUBLE GOOD FEELING 1967 Columbia 44061

MAGICIANS I'LL TELL THE WORLD ABOUT YOU 1966 Columbia 43725

MAGICIANS INVITATION TO CRY 1966 - Columbia 43435

MAGICIANS LADY FINGERS 1967 Columbia 44061

MAGICIANS PAINTING ON WOOD 1967 UK MCA MU1046

etc etc

There's also a Magicians on Decca

So don't go getting excited, the man doesn't have unknown Magians tracks.. if only.

Yeah, wishful thinking Johnny. The way the guy's listed everything is weird 'cos he hasn't included any label info and he has a ton of awful pop on there too - https://users.telenet.be/60spop/Index.htm.

A shame really. It'd be great if an unknown Magicians Villa 708 suddenly turned up LOL...

701 - Ozz And His Sperlings - Mo Jo Hanna / The Broadway Earthquake

702 - Ozz And His Sperlings - Dance (Holes In Your Shoes) / I Can't Jerk

703 - The Magicians - Love, Lets Try Again / Dance (Holes In Your Shoes)

704 - The Magicians - Is It All Gone? / Why Do I Do These Foolish Things

705 - The Checkerboard Squares - Double Cookin' / A Day In Sausalito

706 - The Magicians - Keep Your Hands Off (My Baby) / Why Must You Cry (I Deeply Love You)

707 - Performers - Darling I'm So Thankful / I'll Always Love You.

Is that Performers record any good?

Ian D :unsure:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Agree Totally, 3 Different Label Variations too, I think.

I bought this in the last couple of Years, don't know what took me so long, Awesome Tune.

Like you say been around for years, thus overlooked but what a record.

A quick question for those a lot wiser than me, I've got this with a turquoise label, is that a legitimate label variation, or a little bootyliscious wink.gif

Social source share

Yeah, wishful thinking Johnny. The way the guy's listed everything is weird 'cos he hasn't included any label info and he has a ton of awful pop on there too - https://users.telenet.be/60spop/Index.htm.

A shame really. It'd be great if an unknown Magicians Villa 708 suddenly turned up LOL...

706 - The Magicians - Keep Your Hands Off (My Baby) / Why Must You Cry (I Deeply Love You)

Is that Performers record any good?

Ian D biggrin.gif

The performers looks like it ought to be the best Northrn Soul record ever! I was shakin' inside when I found my first copy way back when. You can imagine it just had to be good.. and it is but both sides are ballads, well too slow for Northern folk. I've found it to be the rarest 45 on the label. I've not had a copy for quite a few years now and would love to hear it again, cause these days it's the ballads that do it for me.

To answer the other question, the light blue label is an original VINYL press. It came out with 3 different label styles. The East Coast release with Cameo Parkway dist. credit and a "Villa" logo like a roman house, is the least seen press.

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Selection of different Villa label variations below :

post-1703-1210321085_thumb.jpg

post-1703-1210321153_thumb.jpg

post-1703-1210321221_thumb.jpg

post-1703-1210321281_thumb.jpg

post-1703-1210321085_thumb.jpg

post-1703-1210321153_thumb.jpg

post-1703-1210321221_thumb.jpg

post-1703-1210321281_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Dug out the light blue vinyl copy of "Keep your hands" to play on air yesterday - it has a pressing plant stamp which I can't make out on the official "a" side only.

BTW also dug out Butch baker "Fat man" to play and guess what's scratched in the runout? The name of one Johnny Mack! biggrin.gif

Social source share

Selection of different Villa label variations below :

Thanks for the info, I'm guessing this is probably a boot then

05_09_2008_04_31_31PM.BMP

Edited by MikeHinNewJersey
Social source share

Thanks for the info, I'm guessing this is probably a boot then

MikeHinNewJersey

Villa_V-706.gif

No Mate, yours looks like the first Issue.

As John says the Light Blue (Villa Logo Roman House) Cameo-Parkway copy is the most difficult to find,

never the less yours looks to be the first issue, as far as I can tell from the scan.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

MikeHinNewJersey

Villa_V-706.gif

As John says the Light Blue (Villa Logo Roman House) Cameo-Parkway copy is the most difficult to find,

never the less yours looks to be the first issue, as far as I can tell from the scan.

Well thats interesting as I have seen loads of the Roman villa label - Fancied one but thought I can be bothered as I have the one above. You live & learn :thumbsup:

Social source share

STOMPER of a tune!

All the label variants for the Magicians shown thus far are originals.

The yellowy-orangey one is the West Coast 1st press.

The light-blue ones with/without the Roman villa picture are East/Mid-West Coast releases, though if there is a difference between the two I don't know!

For the demo enthusiasts, there are 'D.J.COPY NOT FOR SALE' variants on both the light-blue designs too!

Bought my first blind maaaaaaaany years ago, in those halcyon days when you could pick discs up genuinely cheap (regardless of it being years ago), because they weren't already established oldies. If one recognised the artist, writers, producers, arrangers, or collected the label...or just fancied the look of it...one didn't have to break the bank to buy.

:lol:

Social source share

STOMPER of a tune!

The light-blue ones with/without the Roman villa picture are East/Mid-West Coast releases, though if there is a difference between the two I don't know!

For the demo enthusiasts, there are 'D.J.COPY NOT FOR SALE' variants on both the light-blue designs too!

Bought my first blind maaaaaaaany years ago, in those halcyon days when you could pick discs up genuinely cheap (regardless of it being years ago), because they weren't already established oldies. If one recognised the artist, writers, producers, arrangers, or collected the label...or just fancied the look of it...one didn't have to break the bank to buy.

ph34r.gif

Those were the days eh Dave
Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Mark,

You'll need to join the queue !!

Been looking for one of these for a while - harder than you'd imagine.

Best,

John

Just on the off chance has anyone got 'Love Let's Try It Again' for sale....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Mark,

You'll need to join the queue !!

Been looking for one of these for a while - harder than you'd imagine.

Best,

John

I know John tell me about it, a tuff record to find it would seem, oh well the hunt and the chase is half the fun I guess of collecting...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

STOMPER of a tune!

ph34r.gif

Mine probably cost me about a pound.....it was one of those days, I walked into my regular record dealer (second home) and he reaches for my cubby hole and says "I've got some here I think you'll like" :rolleyes: ......happy days!

Social source share

MikeHinNewJersey

Villa_V-706.gif

Crikey , got one of these and did'nt know it. Forgot what a 100mph sound this is.

Social source share

Non-anorak types please look away now.

OK, hoods up...here's another pair of light-blue labels, one with, one without distribution by Cameo-Parkway...what a coincidence...and another mighty slab of Northern too. (Feel free to upload the Cameo label stock and demos too, if anyone wants to complete the picture?)

:rolleyes:

post-9555-1210525136_thumb.jpg

post-9555-1210525146_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest soulfulmouse

Just on the off chance has anyone got 'Love Let's Try It Again' for sale....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

yes me.lol but before you get excited mark.its pretty beaten up.will give it a listen tonight.but by the look of it gonna have some surface noise.i'll let you know.

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Non-anorak types please look away now.

OK, hoods up...here's another pair of light-blue labels, one with, one without distribution by Cameo-Parkway...what a coincidence...and another mighty slab of Northern too. (Feel free to upload the Cameo label stock and demos too, if anyone wants to complete the picture?)

:D

"Mighty" ................to right Mr Flynn :huh: ..... will be looking tonight to see but i'm sure the one in my box as cameo parkway credits on it!

Steve J

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

yes me.lol but before you get excited mark.its pretty beaten up.will give it a listen tonight.but by the look of it gonna have some surface noise.i'll let you know.

I'm also after it, if it plays I'd love to take it off your hands...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert