Whats Wrong With People

Been running a soul night in york for the past six years under the name of SOULTRAIN YORK or YORK SOULTRAIN my mate who leaves his contact number on our flyers has recieved a text message today from www.soultrain.com telling him with immediate effect to stop using the name of SOULTRAIN as it is a registered name, can anybody give me any view on this, many thanks :wicked:

Social source share

• Replies 79
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Been running a soul night in york for the past six years under the name of SOULTRAIN YORK or YORK SOULTRAIN my mate who leaves his contact number on our flyers has recieved a text message today from www.soultrain.com telling him with immediate effect to stop using the name of SOULTRAIN as it is a registered name, can anybody give me any view on this, many thanks :wicked:

I'm no expert but as you include YORK on the event flyer I hardly think anyone is going to be decieved.

Social source share

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU GO GLOBAL HARRY :lol:

SURELY IF YOU USE THE NAME YORKSOULTRAIN AS ONE WORD THEY CANT TOUCH YOU??

SEND EM A NICE REPLY EXPLAINING WHAT YOU DO, AND THAT YOU ARE IN NO WAY INFRINGING THEIR COMPANY NAME OR PRODUCT .

IM SURE THEY'LL UNDERSTAND :shades:

Social source share

I just googled soultrain and found this

https://www.soultrain.co.uk/

IMPORTANT: Soultrain name is copyrighted ©, when used without our permision i.e. unauthorised on advertising, we consider this a serious infringement of copyright. Soultrain is protected under law and unauthorised use constitutes a breach. Soultrain will seek legal recourse and will pursue breach of copyright through the courts of law. Soultrain is copyright/registered with the uk copyrightservice. Soultrain Ltd company registration number is 5901623.

Social source share

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU GO GLOBAL HARRY :lol:

SURELY IF YOU USE THE NAME YORKSOULTRAIN AS ONE WORD THEY CANT TOUCH YOU??

SEND EM A NICE REPLY EXPLAINING WHAT YOU DO, AND THAT YOU ARE IN NO WAY INFRINGING THEIR COMPANY NAME OR PRODUCT .

IM SURE THEY'LL UNDERSTAND :lol:

OH i sent them a LOVELY reply nev :wicked::shades::lol:

Social source share

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU GO GLOBAL HARRY :wicked:

SURELY IF YOU USE THE NAME YORKSOULTRAIN .

Harry, if you use the above , they can't touch you. but what a load of bollox4_14_6.gif, who ever run's soultrain should get a

life23_33_16.gif. it's not like your both going to take each other punters away.

But you could change your's to yorkchochotrain Harry4_1_219.gif. woo woo

Willie

Social source share

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU GO GLOBAL HARRY :shades:

SURELY IF YOU USE THE NAME YORKSOULTRAIN .

Harry, if you use the above , they can't touch you. but what a load of bollox4_14_6.gif, who ever run's soultrain should get a

life23_33_16.gif. it's not like your both going to take each other punters away.

But you could change your's to yorkchochotrain Harry4_1_219.gif. woo woo

Willie

And our special guest CASEY JONES :wicked:

Social source share

Maybe you should invite the owners of Soultrain along for a free night to show them what you do etc. Tell them you have given them lots of free exposure on this site!!!!!

I read a story ages ago that certain companies get paid for spotting copyright infringements on behalf of other companies affected.

Just think of the fallout from this if all old record labels etc pursued this sort of thing. Okeh/Stateside/Loma/Mirwood etc.

On the other hand I heard a rumour that a certain promoter was being chased for a few quid for selling unauthorised music, so maybe a line has to be drawn to protect companies image or products.

Ed

Social source share

Been running a soul night in york for the past six years under the name of SOULTRAIN YORK or YORK SOULTRAIN my mate who leaves his contact number on our flyers has recieved a text message today from www.soultrain.com telling him with immediate effect to stop using the name of SOULTRAIN as it is a registered name, can anybody give me any view on this, many thanks :shades:

By the way H

Was just chatting to a friend in New York via email

He asked if i knew this Harry Crosby on soul source ?? i replied yes ,nice chap indeed :lol:

message is the late Bing has a son who is quite famous and is also called "HARRY"

He is a registered movie actor and was wondering if you wouldnt mind using your full name ,so as not to cause any further confusion???

Apparently he's getting loads of emails asking all sorts of questions about soul trivia :lol:

What should i say HAROLD :wicked::lol::lol:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

This really gets on my nerves as well. How is it possible for someone to add two common words together and copyright it? Soon we won't be able to use any words at all for fear of legal action.

I agree with the above, tell them to get stuffed, they probably can't afford to sue you.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Maybe you should invite the owners of Soultrain along for a free night to show them what you do etc. Tell them you have given them lots of free exposure on this site!!!!!

I read a story ages ago that certain companies get paid for spotting copyright infringements on behalf of other companies affected.

Just think of the fallout from this if all old record labels etc pursued this sort of thing. Okeh/Stateside/Loma/Mirwood etc.

On the other hand I heard a rumour that a certain promoter was being chased for a few quid for selling unauthorised music, so maybe a line has to be drawn to protect companies image or products.

Ed

Fully understand what your saying here ed, if youve paid for a trademark then of course you don`t want it used by other people, but we use the logo york soultrain, or soul train york, i think where this has come from is the on the scene publication, who has just used soultrain in our avertisement, we should have instructed paul at on the scene to use soultrain york for our advert, but until now we had no idea of this other soultrain so in effect it is our fault, but the message my mate got was out of order and was not explained to him, it just said stp using this logo with immediate effect or legal action will be taken, how they can take legal action when we are using york soultrain is beyond me :wicked:

Social source share

Fully understand what your saying here ed, if youve paid for a trademark then of course you don`t want it used by other people, but we use the logo york soultrain, or soul train york, i think where this has come from is the on the scene publication, who has just used soultrain in our avertisement, we should have instructed paul at on the scene to use soultrain york for our advert, but until now we had no idea of this other soultrain so in effect it is our fault, but the message my mate got was out of order and was not explained to him, it just said stp using this logo with immediate effect or legal action will be taken, how they can take legal action when we are using york soultrain is beyond me :wicked:

If it's only by txt Harry, then don't take it too seriously, it's just a stupid threat, the only official way is a legal letter that explains the legal technicalities and normally send by post/email or maybe mailtrain, not by text

Willie

Social source share

My missus is a Trade Mark Attorney, so I have a little knowledge of this (cos she bores me about work :wicked: )

Did a quick search of the UK Registry and it is indeed Don Cornelius who has it registered, this is one of the registrations:

https://www.ipo.gov.uk/tm/t-find/t-find-num...ademark=2206036

He is quite within his rights to ask you to desist using the name unfortunately, I'd be polite to him if you want to continue. He can ask for a fee (retrospective) for using the name if he wants and the courts will back him up too.

Sad but true.

Ta

Paul

Social source share

This really gets on my nerves as well. How is it possible for someone to add two common words together and copyright it? Soon we won't be able to use any words at all for fear of legal action.

I agree with the above, tell them to get stuffed, they probably can't afford to sue you.

I wonder what would happen if someone copywrited 'NORTHERN SOUL?'

Social source share

So long as you call it YorkSoulTrain you're fine.....nowt he can do. Bit like the Detroit Spinners Scenario.

Or you could tell him it's too late too turn back time...... :lol::lol:

Cheers REG was wondering about that, as has been said think its just scare mongering weve used it for six nearly seven years now and nowts been said, also i think theres another soultrain club somewhere thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Surely its just the soultrain logo as in the tv program/7ts record label,just change it a bit like they used to do with the t/shirts,cant copyright a word can ya`...........i mean you can have motown nights but use the motown logo ?.

Social source share

My missus is a Trade Mark Attorney, so I have a little knowledge of this (cos she bores me about work laugh.gif )

Did a quick search of the UK Registry and it is indeed Don Cornelius who has it registered, this is one of the registrations:

https://www.ipo.gov.uk/tm/t-find/t-find-num...ademark=2206036

He is quite within his rights to ask you to desist using the name unfortunately, I'd be polite to him if you want to continue. He can ask for a fee (retrospective) for using the name if he wants and the courts will back him up too.

Sad but true.

Ta

Paul

He's probably bang to rights as Paul says.

The same guy didn't have a problem closing Soul Train records down and forming Solar records shortly after Shalamar sold a million! But he obviously owns the copyright on the name and he's also not afraid of incurring legal costs and instigating litigation that's for sure.

I'd be inclined to drop 'em a line to let 'em know that they're really barking up the wrong tree on the basis that it's a bit petty to try and close down a night that's been going for 6 years and attended by SOUL FANS who put Don Cornelius where he is in the first place!

But in my experience they're usually not bothered by such arguements. You also have to be careful at being too close to 'Soul Train' as they can still argue that you're 'passing off' by being too similar to their trade mark.

Storm in a teacup really but presumably that's what they pay their lawyers for, pain in the ass that it is!

'The Soultraining Sessions', 'Yorksoul Train', 'Soulytrain' - there's a million ways to skin a cat Harry........

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Guest Bogue

I wonder what would happen if someone copywrited 'NORTHERN SOUL?'

:lol:

huh.gif I wonder who has got the domain name though ? Anyone know ?

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

Personally I'd tell 'em to 'Go f*** themselves & grow up'...but I'm sure that'd make matters worse, so don't hire me as your public relations person....we have a similiar potential problem here, there is a very large construction group who are in the process of building a large residential/commercial tower in Surfers Paradise for some reason they've called it 'Soul' & have a trademark against it...I can see us under the cover of darkness spraycans in hand graffitting 'Northern' over the top of 'Soul'...lol...watch this space...'It wasn't me officer, honest'...lol

KTF

Baz

Been running a soul night in york for the past six years under the name of SOULTRAIN YORK or YORK SOULTRAIN my mate who leaves his contact number on our flyers has recieved a text message today from www.soultrain.com telling him with immediate effect to stop using the name of SOULTRAIN as it is a registered name, can anybody give me any view on this, many thanks :lol:
Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

By the way H

He asked if i knew this Harry Crosby on soul source ?? i replied yes ,nice chap indeed :)

message is the late Bing has a son who is quite famous and is also called "HARRY"

He is a registered movie actor and was wondering if you wouldnt mind using your full name ,so as not to cause any further confusion???

Apparently he's getting loads of emails asking all sorts of questions about soul trivia :)

What should i say HAROLD :lol::D:P

Well if it comes to it we'll change it to DON CORNEILIUS SOUL NIGHT bet his name isnt copyrighted laugh.gif:lol:

:lol::P

Social source share

As far as US Copyright: "words" cannot be "copyrighted"

https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html

Soultrain name is copyrighted ©, when used without our permision

cluelessness, imho.

trademarks are a wwwhole different animal with big nasty gnarly legal teeth, however.

Don Cornelius might have something to say. Soooooooul Traaaaiiiin....

Sorry.

not sure what the legal deal is across the pond... what are you folks laws regarding copyright protections?

i am not a lawyer, do not play one on TV and can't stand them, for the most part.

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

By the way H

He asked if i knew this Harry Crosby on soul source ?? i replied yes ,nice chap indeed :lol:

Apparently he's getting loads of emails asking all sorts of questions about soul trivia g.gif

What should i say HAROLD :lol::P:lol:

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

Yes but Bing sings & Walt disney

KTF

Baz

By the way H

Apparently he's getting loads of emails asking all sorts of questions about soul trivia g.gif

What should i say HAROLD :lol::P:lol:

Social source share

Yes but Bing sings & Walt disney

KTF

Baz

By the way H

He asked if i knew this Harry Crosby on soul source ?? i replied yes ,nice chap indeed :)

Apparently he's getting loads of emails asking all sorts of questions about soul trivia :)

What should i say HAROLD :lol::D:P

You should say, WHERES MY INHERITENCE, laugh.gif and also tell him my name on my birth certificate is HARRY and i intend to SUE :lol::lol::P

Social source share

As far as US Copyright: "words" cannot be "copyrighted"

https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html

cluelessness, imho.

trademarks are a wwwhole different animal with big nasty gnarly legal teeth, however.

Don Cornelius might have something to say. Soooooooul Traaaaiiiin....

Sorry.

not sure what the legal deal is across the pond... what are you folks laws regarding copyright protections?

i am not a lawyer, do not play one on TV and can't stand them, for the most part.

Well I've always traditionally had a lot of bad luck with lawyers. I've lost every case that I've ever employed a lawyer for and paid a fortune for the privilege. Including one massive £28,500 bill for fighting for the rights to the Mastercuts name and trademark.

It's not worth getting into a legal battle in the UK. The law is hazy, there are a zillion and one different types of trademark and they're all argueable for ages, which costs.

Basically it's the same concept as the U.S., namely, 'he who hath the dosh, wins'.

The alternative is that it could be turned into a HUGE publicity angle which would probably end up scaring 'em away, i.e. 'Rich American TV Tycoon Tries To Close Down Local Soul Night' - a sort of David & Goliath scenario for the tabloids. Harry could appear on telly as the local man with a heart of gold doing something good for the community fighting against the faceless U.S. corporation who want control of two everyday words - 'soul' and 'train'. A sort of "Local Hero" for the North.

F&*k me! What a GREAT idea!

Harry - I'll give you £200K for the film rights now mate! What a story!

Ian D biggrin.gif

PS "Soul Locomotive"?

Social source share

Well I've always traditionally had a lot of bad luck with lawyers. I've lost every case that I've ever employed a lawyer for and paid a fortune for the privilege. Including one massive £28,500 bill for fighting for the rights to the Mastercuts name and trademark.

It's not worth getting into a legal battle in the UK. The law is hazy, there are a zillion and one different types of trademark and they're all argueable for ages, which costs.

Basically it's the same concept as the U.S., namely, 'he who hath the dosh, wins'.

The alternative is that it could be turned into a HUGE publicity angle which would probably end up scaring 'em away, i.e. 'Rich American TV Tycoon Tries To Close Down Local Soul Night' - a sort of David & Goliath scenario for the tabloids. Harry could appear on telly as the local man with a heart of gold doing something good for the community fighting against the faceless U.S. corporation who want control of two everyday words - 'soul' and 'train'. A sort of "Local Hero" for the North.

F&*k me! What a GREAT idea!

Harry - I'll give you £200K for the film rights now mate! What a story!

PS "Soul Locomotive"?

We need to talk management terms ian hows about 60/40, good idea though, need some new teeth n me nose straightened before filming though :lol:laugh.gif:lol:

Social source share

We need to talk management terms ian hows about 60/40, good idea though, need some new teeth n me nose straightened before filming though :lol::lol::P

Oi you! I'll have you know that the only time my nose has ever been surgically altered was when a one-pint beeg keg connected with it @ Blackpool Mecca thankyou very much. boxing.gif

As for the teeth, well, maybe there's been some dickering around over the years...... :lol: Lawyers and Dentists - I hate 'em LOL! :)

Personally I love the 'David & Goliath' imagery. I'd cut a deal with Don on the basis that both you and him could get a blizzard of publicity out of this - he'll get to licence the "Soul Train" DVD's in the UK and publicise 'em and you keep the "Soul Train" nights in York and triple the audience!

He's not daft. He knows the value of publicity.

Ian D :)

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

We need to talk management terms ian hows about 60/40, good idea though, need some new teeth n me nose straightened before filming though :lol:laugh.gif:lol:

F**K ME.... HARRY GOES TO HOLLYWOOD.....TEETH & NOSE STRAIGHTEND ???????? THINK WE CAN ADD HAIR TRANSPLANT & LIPOSUCTION TO THAT LIST BEFORE YOU CAN GO IN FRONT OF THE CAMERAS

HOW ABOUT BRITISH RAIL SOUL TRAIN

Edited by soulman1964
Social source share

F**K ME.... HARRY GOES TO HOLLYWOOD.....TEETH & NOSE STRAIGHTEND ???????? THINK WE CAN ADD HAIR TRANSPLANT & LIPOSUCTION TO THAT LIST BEFORE YOU CAN GO IN FRONT OF THE CAMERAS

HOW ABOUT BRITISH RAIL SOUL TRAIN

Wouldn`t open on time, cost a fortune to get in, wouldn`t open in winter because of LEAVES on dancefloor, then again every event would be PACKED with NO SEATS what do you think to that CLARK GABLE!!!! :lol:laugh.gif:lol:

Social source share

Sorry ian was on about my teeth and nose, ex rugby player n all that, just been in touch with the YORKSHIRE EVENING PRESS, who are contacting dave smith in york, and will be at our night to take photos tomorrow night so whey hey nice one ian :lol:

LOL, it's only 'cos there was a suggestion a while back that I'd had 'cosmetic enhancement' LOL. I'd like it to be known publicly from this point forward, that the only cosmetic surgery I'm even considering is a penis reduction, OK? :lol:

Best of luck Harry. I'd ask them to put their concerns in writing, then, when you get a letter from them, copy it and draft your own press release and then leak the story to Calendar and get a TV crew down there as well!

I'll deal with the tabloids on that 60/40 LOL. Should be worth £20K on a slow day...... :lol:

Hollywood beckons young man! shades.gif

Ian D :P

Social source share

Wouldn`t open on time, cost a fortune to get in, wouldn`t open in winter because of LEAVES on dancefloor, then again every event would be PACKED with NO SEATS what do you think to that CLARK GABLE!!!! :lol:laugh.gif:lol:

:lol::P:):):P

Brilliant Harry!

You can come up with your own bloody story!

Ian D :D

Social source share

Harry

Have you considered 'SoleTrain' or perhaps 'Soul Trane' or even 'Soulo Train' for our Hispanic cousins? Just a thought.

Yeh i think eventually that will be the course of action, the reason why i called it soultrain was because originally we held our nights at THE JUNCTION and with the railway link in york, just seemed an appriate name for our soul nights :lol:

Social source share

Yeh i think eventually that will be the course of action, the reason why i called it soultrain was because originally we held our nights at THE JUNCTION and with the railway link in york, just seemed an appriate name for our soul nights biggrin.gif

Maybe this should also be explained to Mr Cornelius, who I'm sure doesn't appreciate the rich tapestry of local history surrounding Soul, Trains and York!

I doubt if he's even been on a bloody train! He should have called the show "Soul Chauffer-Driven Limo" which would have been much more appropriate in his case! :lol:

Social source share

Harry

Following the link in your first post, it claims that 'Soultrain' was registered in 2005, if you have been using the name for the last 6 years and can prove it, your usage pre-dates his, so tell him to **** off .

The other option is to rename them 'Old MacDonalds Soul Nights'

Martyn

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert