Querying The Price Of A Record

just made an arse of myself in the sales section by querying the price of a record I thought was £20

The seller is selling for 3x that- I wanted to know how the price had shifted so much in the space of months.

I got interesting reactions but it begs the question is any record worth any price and do guides actually have any relevance given the above.

Could we not have a section called " Curret price" and list a record with 4 price options eg: 10-30 30-75 over 100 & over 300 or similar prices based on known recent sales. Then get everyone or whoever does to vote on it therefore creating a poll! This is what they do on Rivals.net which is about football

It would also give an indication of peoples views on the value of a particular record. We could then query why has a record gone up so much in price or down so much (Validation)

Am I just off my head or does anyone think this could be trialled for a couple of months to see how it goes?

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

just made an arse of myself in the sales section by querying the price of a record I thought was £20

The seller is selling for 3x that- I wanted to know how the price had shifted so much in the space of months.

I got interesting reactions but it begs the question is any record worth any price and do guides actually have any relevance given the above.

Could we not have a section called " Curret price" and list a record with 4 price options eg: 10-30 30-75 over 100 & over 300 or similar prices based on known recent sales. Then get everyone or whoever does to vote on it therefore creating a poll! This is what they do on Rivals.net which is about football

It would also give an indication of peoples views on the value of a particular record. We could then query why has a record gone up so much in price or down so much (Validation)

Am I just off my head or does anyone think this could be trialled for a couple of months to see how it goes?

To be honest, its not as easy as that; prices seem to change over a weekend and what something sells for one week is no indication of what it will sell for the next (up or down).

Records perceived to be worth 20 sometimes sell for 40 or more, sometimes will sell for 10, most times they won't sell at all :shades:

Same with records perceived to be around the 200 - 300 level, they go on eBay one week for 400 the next for 100. Really rare records frequently exceed their perceived price because of rarity & demand - i.e. they rarely come up for sale so get them when they do if you want them.

You can't set a "current price" because if nobody wants a record then the price is immateriel, if everyone wants it some will pay more than the perceived "current price".

Price guides are out of date as soon as they are printed, they are useful to give an indication of the level a record is likely to be priced but that's all.

The way I look at it now is that if I decide to sell a record I'll only sell it for what I want to; some go some don't. If I'm buying I buy for a price I want to, sometimes too high and sometimes cheaply. I prefer the latter so I have a philosophy of letting records come to me - if I wait long enough a record I want will appear at a price I want to pay.

To accurately price records you need to know who wants what when, what they will pay, what is available and in what quantity at any given moment. It is impossible.

Ta

Paul

Social source share

Also it helps to know who's in the market for certain things.

I just sold about 25 records for £350 which would never sell on E-Bay or anywhere else IMO. But I knew what the guy would be into so he was happy and I was happy.

Likewise, that pile of old boots and UK reissues that would never excite any interest on here, might be incredibly tempting to some person or young DJ who wants to 'learn' the scene with some great recommendations. So anyone buying a couple of hundred boots and reissues @ a fiver or tenner each is OK with me.....

Ian D :shades:

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

The Advice for all forms of collecting is to buy the best example you can afford, However in a Music driven collecting field Demand will always influence priced. If your going to buy a current indemander then 90% of the time you can expect the price to have fallen within a year.

I have recently started buying again after an absense of more than 15 years and current prices astound me. Tunes have stayed static where as others have shot up in value.

We are in an age where most of the Music we are into is available to us in electronic format.Gone are the days when tapes were the only way most of us could listen to those really rare tunes and yes they always had the two second pause half way though the track.

I may have a bit of an advantage as my wants list is huge.What I am Paying, most people would deem bargins. Have mainly used ebay and record shops, avoided the Known NS dealers. No Offence but with a limited budget It's a case of getting as much for my money as I can.

I'm Just enjoying getting Good Damn Soul Records at What I think is a good Damn price, getting them home and having that stylus hit the grooves. That is what collecting is about

Social source share

The Advice for all forms of collecting is to buy the best example you can afford, However in a Music driven collecting field Demand will always influence priced. If your going to buy a current indemander then 90% of the time you can expect the price to have fallen within a year.

I have recently started buying again after an absense of more than 15 years and current prices astound me. Tunes have stayed static where as others have shot up in value.

We are in an age where most of the Music we are into is available to us in electronic format.Gone are the days when tapes were the only way most of us could listen to those really rare tunes and yes they always had the two second pause half way though the track.

I may have a bit of an advantage as my wants list is huge.What I am Paying, most people would deem bargins. Have mainly used ebay and record shops, avoided the Known NS dealers. No Offence but with a limited budget It's a case of getting as much for my money as I can.

I'm Just enjoying getting Good Damn Soul Records at What I think is a good Damn price, getting them home and having that stylus hit the grooves. That is what collecting is about

Record Prices. Obviouslly if funds available, can't spend as much percentage wise as in my youth.

Always a personal thing, depending on how long the search has been.

At my age, If I have been searching 38 Years and never found.

(Can happen, even with titles that some deem to be common).

I use the guide, but only as that. If I really want an Item & have the funds

then it's a trade off against just how many years of searching, traveling and the like to find another.

All part of the fun, and as can happen, suddenlly like buses, another two come along when you've purchased it.

However, bargains are nice, but

I can get the same buzz from a record or that I might have spent over the odds for, (book price)

to fulfil that long time want. Money suddenlly takes second place.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Record Prices. Obviouslly if funds available, can't spend as much percentage wise as in my youth.

Always a personal thing, depending on how long the search has been.

At my age, If I have been searching 38 Years and never found.

(Can happen, even with titles that some deem to be common).

I use the guide, but only as that. If I really want an Item & have the funds

then it's a trade off against just how many years of searching, traveling and the like to find another.

All part of the fun, and as can happen, suddenlly like buses, another two come along when you've purchased it.

However, bargains are nice, but

I can get the same buzz from a record or that I might have spent over the odds for, (book price)

to fulfil that long time want. Money suddenlly takes second place.

Hi Roger,

That's exactly it for long time collectors. If I ain't seen it in 30 odd years of collecting then I'm interested for sure! This doesn't mean they have to be expensive records at all. The last couple of additions have all been nice and cheap but how many have seen them around:

Harold Andrews - Since I Talk To My Baby - HLS WHITE Demo 30 squidleys

Al Greene - Don't Leave Me - WHITE Demo 10 squidleys

Neither is common in my opinion. In fact the Al Greene is the first one I've seen. Both TOP NOTCH soulful dancers of the highest order, hard to find in that format and in MINT- nick. Now that's what I call record collecting! :shades::lol:

Overpriced records? Only if you're still chasing the same 300 records as most other people. :lol:

Social source share

Al Greene - Don't Leave Me - WHITE Demo 10 squidleys

In fact the Al Greene is the first one I've seen. Both TOP NOTCH soulful dancers of the highest order, hard to find in that format and in MINT- nick. Now that's what I call record collecting! :lol::lol:

Told you it was a nice copy!

Cheap at twice the price!

A tough WD.

:shades:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert