Can Todays Northern Scene Ever Be Attractive

Barry

The majority of music-based youth movements tend to be borne of 100 mile an hour audio assaults (see rock n roll, punk, Northern etc).

The longevity of the Northern scene and it's heroic devotees' have obviously took it way beyond those heady days.

Nowadays tempo's in general have dropped, people have obviously learned to appreciate real quality, tastes have diversified etc.

Has the scene got a hope in hell in attracting todays youth to it, given the way the scene has gone?

Does it really matter?

Will the scene just play itself out to the contented strains of our memories?

Edited by Barry
Social source share

• Replies 113
  • Views 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The majority of music-based youth movements tend to be borne of 100 mile an hour audio assaults (see rock n roll, punk, Northern etc).

The longevity of the Northern scene and it's heroic devotees' have obviously took it way beyond those heady days.

Nowadays tempo's in general have dropped, people have obviously learned to appreciate real quality, tastes have diversified etc.

Has the scene got a hope in hell in attracting todays youth to it, given the way the scene has gone? No.

Does it really matter? No.

Yes.
Social source share

I have to disagree with Mark on this. (unless his answer was to the title question :thumbup: )

We see more and more "youth" (under 30`s) on the scene as the years go by (or should that be "count down"? :wicked: )

In the main (in the U.K) it seems to be the fruits of our own loins who appreciate how we....."educated" them about the music.

In turn they may bring a few of their mates and one or two of those mates will take a liking to what they hear and usually how

"cool" and "safe" the scene is, I know this is only a trickle of the new blood that the soul scene needs but I think its enough to

keep it from playing out after we do the final SHUFFLE

Theres not a chance of the Northern Soul scene dying out, it will take a few evolutionary turns over the coming years but the

legacy we leave will continue indefinately.

My opinion!

:lol:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

What venues do you go to then? :g: They must be in their minoritys :thumbsup: Cos the venues i go to on a regular basis haven,t dropped the tempo,s at all :lol: there still right up there where they should always be wicked.gifwink.gif

JB xxxKTFxxx

Social source share

I think the music will be listened to and loved by a select few and will continue to do so for eva, but as for the scene and the do's i think they will dwindle and finally disappear, there are a lot of youngsters into the music my kids like alot of it, but i dont think there will be enough of them to keep it going, which is a god damn shame. BUT WHO KNOWS in 100 years time there might be a massive revival laugh.gif:thumbsup: but we wont be here to see it :lol: this is just my humble opinion but who knows Di xxx

Social source share

What venues do you go to then? :g: They must be in their minoritys :thumbsup: Cos the venues i go to on a regular basis haven,t dropped the tempo,s at all :lol: there still right up there where they should always be wicked.gifwink.gif

JB xxxKTFxxx

Good question

There's alot of uptempo stuff being played at most nights these days.

I also have to agree with Steve Lane, I think the scene will continue to evolve and I know the R&B scene is now full of younger people who are really into it.

The one thing that does worry me is the polarisation that is going on where what is played is classified into various boxes rather than being a general acceptance of anything played. All this leads to is concentrated groups who love their section of music, then separate venues all with quite low attendances

I'm trying to find soulful music by Nicaraguan one legged tran sexuals so I can start a new genre all to myself!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

don'y know where you go barry,but all the best places that are busy are allnighters and the music is UPTEMPO so deduce from that what you will tongue.gif

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

I have to disagree with Mark on this.

We see more and more "youth" (under 30`s) on the scene as the years go by (or should that be "count down"? unsure.gif )

In the main (in the U.K) it seems to be the fruits of our own loins who appreciate how we....."educated" them about the music.

In turn they may bring a few of their mates and one or two of those mates will take a liking to what they hear and usually how

"cool" and "safe" the scene is, I know this is only a trickle of the new blood that the soul scene needs but I think its enough to

keep it from playing out after we do the final SHUFFLE

Theres not a chance of the Northern Soul scene dying out, it will take a few evolutionary turns over the coming years but the

legacy we leave will continue indefinately.

My opinion!

:lol:

I agree! biggrin.gif

The question should really be 'will tomorrows scene be ever be attractive to 'older' folk?' :g::thumbsup:

Social source share

Gotta agree that uptempo does seem more popular (once again) especially in the last 18 months, both on the Northern and R&B scenes as far as I can see.

Midtempo was very popular a few years back, and still has it's place, but most allnighters seem to thrive on pounding uptempo soul for the majority of the night.

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

I agree! :lol:

The question should really be 'will tomorrows scene be ever be attractive to 'older' folk?' :thumbsup:laugh.gif

If you want to open the scene up to a new audiance get rid of the snobbery sorrounding the music. Stop worrying about how much a tune cost and how rare it is on the never before released limited edition deleted local issue acitate master tape and get the music out to the kids in what ever format they want it in. Then just maybe a new crowd will take the scene forward and keep it alive. Duffy being number one for eons says it all to me. There is a huge following out there but they just don't know it yet because we are all too worried that what we are playing isn't rare enough! PLay it because it's good keep an eye on the dance floor and promote outside of your comfort zone and they will come! A record is as old as the first time you hear it so most of the stuff we play and love will be as fresh as a daisy to the first timer and what turned us on 25 years ago will do the same to a new audiance. Classical music has been doing this for 300 hundred years. Take it to the people they'll love it! :g:

Social source share

perhaps its the way i'm reading it - so forgive me if it is not intended in the way i interperate this sentence.

it very much reads to me that you are saying up-tempo is not 'real quality'; tempo's have dropped because people have obviously learned to appreciate real quality. if this is what is being said it is just your opinion and would be, in my opinion, utter nonsense.

i dont like the Disco music that has crept into the scene over the years but that doesn't mean it is not 'quality' to some folk.

i am not so keen on a lot of the 'modern' music played but that does not mean it is not 'quality to some folk.

i may have got too old and put on some wieght that does not permit me to leap around the dance-floor all night as i did a few years back - so perhaps when i talk about 'quality' am i talking about music that best suits my abilities to dance to it?

i remember my dad shouting up the stairs "turn that bloody racket down". i now find myself saying the same thing to my children with thier music. with this in mind, perhaps i could make a statement using the term obviously.

Obviously people have learned to listen to more mellow music because they are getting old!

keep on keeping on - play the variety to please soul fans & not individuals

(but please keep disco out of soul nights laugh.gif )

Social source share

If you want to open the scene up to a new audiance get rid of the snobbery sorrounding the music. Stop worrying about how much a tune cost and how rare it is on the never before released limited edition deleted local issue acitate master tape and get the music out to the kids in what ever format they want it in. Then just maybe a new crowd will take the scene forward and keep it alive.

couldn't have put it better myself thumbup.gif

Social source share

couldn't have put it better myself thumbup.gif

Ditto!!........Right on the money!

Duffy`s music has been beneficial in bringing some younger faces into Northern Soul venues.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

If you want to open the scene up to a new audiance get rid of the snobbery sorrounding the music. Stop worrying about how much a tune cost and how rare it is on the never before released limited edition deleted local issue acitate master tape and get the music out to the kids in what ever format they want it in. Then just maybe a new crowd will take the scene forward and keep it alive. Duffy being number one for eons says it all to me. There is a huge following out there but they just don't know it yet because we are all too worried that what we are playing isn't rare enough! PLay it because it's good keep an eye on the dance floor and promote outside of your comfort zone and they will come! A record is as old as the first time you hear it so most of the stuff we play and love will be as fresh as a daisy to the first timer and what turned us on 25 years ago will do the same to a new audiance. Classical music has been doing this for 300 hundred years. Take it to the people they'll love it! :thumbsup:

COULDN'T HAVE PUT IT BETTER MYSELF. WELL SAID!!! thumbup.gif

Social source share

If you want to open the scene up to a new audiance get rid of the snobbery sorrounding the music. Stop worrying about how much a tune cost and how rare it is on the never before released limited edition deleted local issue acitate master tape and get the music out to the kids in what ever format they want it in. Then just maybe a new crowd will take the scene forward and keep it alive. Duffy being number one for eons says it all to me. There is a huge following out there but they just don't know it yet because we are all too worried that what we are playing isn't rare enough! PLay it because it's good keep an eye on the dance floor and promote outside of your comfort zone and they will come! A record is as old as the first time you hear it so most of the stuff we play and love will be as fresh as a daisy to the first timer and what turned us on 25 years ago will do the same to a new audiance. Classical music has been doing this for 300 hundred years. Take it to the people they'll love it! :D

Well said :( ..........

Malc Burton

Social source share

If you want to open the scene up to a new audiance get rid of the snobbery sorrounding the music. Stop worrying about how much a tune cost and how rare it is on the never before released limited edition deleted local issue acitate master tape and get the music out to the kids in what ever format they want it in. Then just maybe a new crowd will take the scene forward and keep it alive. Duffy being number one for eons says it all to me. :no: There is a huge following out there but they just don't know it yet because we are all too worried that what we are playing isn't rare enough! PLay it because it's good keep an eye on the dance floor and promote outside of your comfort zone and they will come! A record is as old as the first time you hear it so most of the stuff we play and love will be as fresh as a daisy to the first timer and what turned us on 25 years ago will do the same to a new audiance. Classical music has been doing this for 300 hundred years. Take it to the people they'll love it! :lol:

Very well said! :(

JBxxxKTFxxx

Social source share

Ditto!!........Right on the money!

Duffy`s music has been beneficial in bringing some younger faces into Northern Soul venues.

:rolleyes:

why should we be grateful for duffys music bringing a few new faces onto the soul scene.

if they have to wait for duffy to spoon feed them music they are the wrong type of people anyway with no ability to find soul for themsleves.

they will be onto somnething else in 6 months time.

who is duffy anyway never heard of her ? is she fit ?

Social source share

Has the scene got a hope in hell in attracting todays youth to it, given the way the scene has gone?

Does it really matter?

The same question has been asked about............the scooter scene............the rock n roll scene.................soul collecting.......... ska and reggae collecting ..............etc, etc , etc

And the fact is you can go to a scooter rally every other weekend in the summer, attend a rock n roll event whenever you want to - I know cause my Mum and her mates are RnR fans.

.......... Soul and Motown records are as expensive as they have ever been..................Ska n Reggae festivals take place through the year, and the original Jamaican vinyl is now creeping up to NS prices!

All these music cults are enduring the years very well - Their followings are huge!

The same can be said for the punk scene - a hugh global following!

As long as there are people who have real passion for their type of music, all these scenes will rub along in one shape or another !

The Mod thing is a great example, which has world wide intrest, USA - JAPAN - SPAIN etc.. and has been in and out of the media for 50 years now !

And fanatics will always meet other fanatics one way or another to get together for a shindig !!

I am not at all worried !

The problem for me is there is too much going on at the moment - every weekend there is a doo or a ride out or a rally !

Llandudno Scooter Rally this weekend for me !

Optimistic Mossy

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

But what format do we want music played on in years to come for younger people to get into it. They might start hooking Ipod's up with about 10,000 tracks and just saying don't bring yours all DJ's can use IPod we have supplied here and the music on it.

They might have CD's but i feel it won't be the same, there is going to be one of these times when nights take place maybe less but you have younger people attend a few but they won't be any DJ's with vinyl that's what we need or want some DJ's to have i would DJ and play only vinyl

Social source share

Guest kevnewry

TODAYS SCENE BE ATTRACTIVE TO A YOUNGER AUDIENCE??? IVE THOUGHT ABOUT THIS BECAUSE IT'S A BLOODY GOOD QUESTION. MUSICAL INFLUENCES ON THE YOUNGER GENERATION OF TODAY ARE'NT REALLYANY DIFFERENT THAN THEY WERE IN OUR DAY.. WITH PROBABLY ONE EXCEPTION..WHO YOU HUNG ABOUT WITH!!! BEAR WITH ME.

AT SCHOOL I ALWAYS WONDERED WHO WERE THESE DIVS PASSING TAPES TO ONE ANOTHER UNTIL I BECAME ONE OF THOSE DIVS MYSELF... EITHER YOU FALL UNDER THE SPELL OR YOU DONT BUT WHO YOUR FRIENDS ARE DETERMINES MOST OF THE TIME WHAT SORT OF MUSIC YOU LIKE.

HOWEVER HAVING SAID THAT PEOPLE ARE GONA SAY THATS BOLLOCKS BUT THINK ABOUT IT.. HOW MANY OF US WER'NT INFLUENCED BY SOME OLDER MEMBER OF OUR FAMILY OR A WIDER CIRCLE OF FRIENDS OR SOMEONE WE KNEW THAT LISTENED TO YOU KNOW THAT MUSIC OR WENT TO YOU KNOW THAT PLACE.

WE ARE MUSICAL SNOBS WE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN... AND YET TO THE ONES IN THE KNOW WE ARE THE FRIENDLIEST BUNCH OF NUTTERS ON THE PLANET!! IF WE OPENED UP A WEE BIT AND SHARED OUR KNOWLEDGE MADE YOUNG UNS MORE WELCOME PLAYED THE BLOODY OVER PLAYED TUNES FOR EM ANSWERED THEIR QUESTIONS WITH A LITTLE MORE INTEREST PUT UP WITH THE SILLY REQUESTS.... AND OF COURSE NO PISS RIDDEN TOILETS AT VENUES THE NEXT 30 YEARS WOULD BE SAFE ENOUGH.. IN MY HUMBLE OPINION. :rolleyes:

PS NOT THAT THERE ARE PISS RIDDEN TOILETS THESE DAYS OF COURSE :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest mjones

Why oh why is there some much analysis about this subject??!!! Some Northern Soul people in the UK carry on as if they're part of a secret cult or in a big private club. Rare Soul is enjoyed by people all over the world. I think it's really, really simple. If you want large numbers of younger people at Soul nights in order to continue to survive, you only have to be welcoming and act kindly towards them by engaging in a conversation with them. Maybe someone can make up a batch of sample cds so they can away and have another listen. Everyone loves a freebie. And mix the music up with a smattering of funk, boogie, latin. PLEASE try to make it seem FUN and sex it up!!!! I've been to far too many Northern Soul nights where the attendances have been just appalling and sadly resemble a monthly 20-30 year school reunion of mute, dour looking middle aged males being standoffish to say the least. BORING!!! And I know that would put anybody off returning. Do some of you DJs do social nights at high school??? Maybe that could be a start to get them while they're young.....

It's not that complicated........ :thumbup:

Social source share

COULDN'T HAVE PUT IT BETTER MYSELF. WELL SAID!!! thumbup.gif

I have tried to say this many times

I was here first time around but for a very short period in comparison to most.

What many call oldies arent to me, some I'm hearing for the first time

(and blow me away none the less)

Im 44 and Im still learning from the learned folks on here and other forums.

I can relate to new people joining us no matter what thier age.

We have some new soul people who have just joined us and they are older than me

they are enjoying a lot of the tunes for the first time and the soul scene is a new phenomenon to them.

I think its great they found us

We are getting new young folks but Im afraid I keep hearing how folks say they shouldn't be here cos theyre too young!!! Ballcocks!!

Ive seen young people at venues dancing and "losing themselves in the music"

BUT they are very few and far between

We need to grab em when the are teens make an impression then they'll be hooked ( like us)

I think the duffy video and tune grabbed folks attention I think it looked cool enough.

Im not afraid to say I liked it and danced to it

I love oldies ...that gets frowned on at times too! cos Im stuck in the past!

I say love it for however you get pleasure from this scene

WE ARE A PHENOMENON!!! :)

And they don't just disappear

Mand :O)

Social source share

Well , to be honest I could'nt give a monkeys, in fact I would prefer not to have Kids in the do's, doing the pogo or whatever usually pissed ,spilling bear on my shoes, and generally being complete Tw*ts, ,bugger em ,let em rediscover the music them selves, I dont want em no.gif

oh dear is that how I really feel..............YEP

Bazza

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

Why oh why is there some much analysis about this subject??!!! Some Northern Soul people in the UK carry on as if they're part of a secret cult or in a big private club. Rare Soul is enjoyed by people all over the world. I think it's really, really simple. If you want large numbers of younger people at Soul nights in order to continue to survive, you only have to be welcoming and act kindly towards them by engaging in a conversation with them. Maybe someone can make up a batch of sample cds so they can away and have another listen. Everyone loves a freebie. And mix the music up with a smattering of funk, boogie, latin. PLEASE try to make it seem FUN and sex it up!!!! I've been to far too many Northern Soul nights where the attendances have been just appalling and sadly resemble a monthly 20-30 year school reunion of mute, dour looking middle aged males being standoffish to say the least. BORING!!! And I know that would put anybody off returning. Do some of you DJs do social nights at high school??? Maybe that could be a start to get them while they're young.....

It's not that complicated........ rolleyes.gif

i tried that once a few years ago, against my better judgment i let some youngsters in to our doo and all they did was arse around and get on every ones nerves they even started letting they're Friends in through the emergency exit (horrible bunch of bastrads), won't be doing that again, now if youngsters turn up we tell them exactly what we are doing and explain to them politely that if they play up they will be have to leave,

i also think if youngsters are really into the music 99.9% of soul nights/nighters will welcome them with open arms

Edited by andrew bin
Social source share

Guest biggray1

Dont you all think that Joe Public dont know about Northern soul,its well advertised,its well played to the media,its not gonna take off same as pop did or r&r cosits been here 40 odd years and its STILL been ignored!!! You have either got soul or you havnt and its as simple has that..you as a soul fan are different to all other music fans etc I use the term SPECIAL COS THATS WOT SOUL FANS ARE..RIGHT ON BROTHERS AND SISTERS KTF

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

well for one isn't Northern soul at times non commercial. i terms of you don't hear chart hits. and like you don't hear tracks that at times were even in American music charts.

It's right people saying you have soul or not cause we are different

If you go to a ordinary soul night you expect the typical top 40 hits or popular songs in some cases youth club northern soul and other styles music follow just that or play something that is by an artist who is known. ie Dance music mixes of pop tunes, mixes of commercial dance tunes and so on.

Northern soul dosen't always do this and therefor can play tracks by artists the general public say who.

Social source share

Thanks for the enlightening replies, I hope one day some of you may get to grips with my questioning technique, generally fashioned to drag a response from folk, and not as some of you seem to think, borne of ignorance.

Some beltingly well thought out responses in there though, cheers.

Edited by Barry
Social source share

Guest Marcelle

It's not that complicated........ :D

Totally agree .... over the last few years I have seen more & more "young" faces in venues, & I remember youngsters (early 20s) coming to CIS in 2003, I love seeing them out on the floor having a great time, as I did as a "youngster" & continue to do now. Did I think as a 46yr old I would still be strutting my stuff across a dance floor ...........

Hmmmmm NO I didnt ! DID YOU ?

What really makes my blood boil is when "people" of our generation feel that this scene is theirs & that they feel they have a right to even say "no young ones welcomed here" !

Maybe the question we need to ask is .....

Are we willing to let the scene die out because "we" feel youngsters have no place in it ?

Im not ! Are you ?

I think what is also important too remember is that the scene was built up by youngsters it wasnt built up by hoards of 40 / 50 /60 year olds .... it was bulit up by 20/30 year olds, with a few older people thrown in ....

They have so much to offer you, me the scene, they are the future of this scene not US we are the present & past ..... so shouldnt we be welcomimg, enouraging, guiding, educatating them on Soul & its history "our history" so that they can have preserve it, because in my eyes if you have gained so much pleasure from something, do you not want to share & pass that pleasure on & too see it preserved, developed ?

I do ....

Last night there where about 20 / 25 youngsters at Maxins some of them came to the first CIS ...

I listened to one DJ ... GREAT young ballsie chap, who has not been caught up with "pricy records, soul snobbery & "hierarchy" he just DJ he didnt think about "risks" in putting on a record he just put it on & was happy if one person got up to dance ...... these "youngsters" where in room 2, did they stay in isolation .... NO some came out of their comfort zone .... joined the "fogeys" on the dance floor & did what I do .... enjoyed myself ....

so if you are one of those "selfish, tight, mean, narrow minded people, who are so entrenched in your belief that "you have the right to say who can or cant be into soul ...

well im so glad I dont know you & I wouldnt want to be in your company at all nor would I want "youngsters" to get to know you .... BECAUSE UNLIKE THEM ....

YOU DONT HAVE ANYTHING TO OFFER THIS SCENE .....

GET THEM BOOKED ON ....

DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO SO THAT THEY WANT TO JOIN THIS SCENE ......

Marcelle

AGE 46 years but still feeling as passionate about Soul as I did as a 14year old ...

Social source share

Totally agree .... over the last few years I have seen more & more "young" faces in venues, & I remember youngsters (early 20s) coming to CIS in 2003, I love seeing them out on the floor having a great time, as I did as a "youngster" & continue to do now. Did I think as a 46yr old I would still be strutting my stuff across a dance floor ...........

Hmmmmm NO I didnt ! DID YOU ?

What really makes my blood boil is when "people" of our generation feel that this scene is theirs & that they feel they have a right to even say "no young ones welcomed here" !

Maybe the question we need to ask is .....

Are we willing to let the scene die out because "we" feel youngsters have no place in it ?

Im not ! Are you ?

I think what is also important too remember is that the scene was built up by youngsters it wasnt built up by hoards of 40 / 50 /60 year olds .... it was bulit up by 20/30 year olds, with a few older people thrown in ....

They have so much to offer you, me the scene, they are the future of this scene not US we are the present & past ..... so shouldnt we be welcomimg, enouraging, guiding, educatating them on Soul & its history "our history" so that they can have preserve it, because in my eyes if you have gained so much pleasure from something, do you not want to share & pass that pleasure on & too see it preserved, developed ?

I do ....

Last night there where about 20 / 25 youngsters at Maxins some of them came to the first CIS ...

I listened to one DJ ... GREAT young ballsie chap, who has not been caught up with "pricy records, soul snobbery & "hierarchy" he just DJ he didnt think about "risks" in putting on a record he just put it on & was happy if one person got up to dance ...... these "youngsters" where in room 2, did they stay in isolation .... NO some came out of their comfort zone .... joined the "fogeys" on the dance floor & did what I do .... enjoyed myself ....

so if you are one of those "selfish, tight, mean, narrow minded people, who are so entrenched in your belief that "you have the right to say who can or cant be into soul ...

well im so glad I dont know you & I wouldnt want to be in your company at all nor would I want "youngsters" to get to know you .... BECAUSE UNLIKE THEM ....

YOU DONT HAVE ANYTHING TO OFFER THIS SCENE .....

GET THEM BOOKED ON ....

DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO SO THAT THEY WANT TO JOIN THIS SCENE ......

Marcelle

AGE 46 years but still feeling as passionate about Soul as I did as a 14year old ...

100% Agree with you Marcelle :D

JB xxxKTFxxx

Social source share

If you want to open the scene up to a new audiance get rid of the snobbery sorrounding the music. Stop worrying about how much a tune cost and how rare it is on the never before released limited edition deleted local issue acitate master tape and get the music out to the kids in what ever format they want it in. Then just maybe a new crowd will take the scene forward and keep it alive. Duffy being number one for eons says it all to me. There is a huge following out there but they just don't know it yet because we are all too worried that what we are playing isn't rare enough! PLay it because it's good keep an eye on the dance floor and promote outside of your comfort zone and they will come! A record is as old as the first time you hear it so most of the stuff we play and love will be as fresh as a daisy to the first timer and what turned us on 25 years ago will do the same to a new audiance. Classical music has been doing this for 300 hundred years. Take it to the people they'll love it! :yes:

I am getting more & more suspicious of the OVO legislation :lol: me-thinks this may be a passing of a law to ensure 'jobs for the boys'. Is this new law a way of restrict the minions in the lower fields; thus enabling the gentry to retain thier status and [possibly] helping to keep the doors slightly closed to a new audiance?

Can anyone provide me with details of the Green Paper on the OVO policy?

Has the Act been published for all to see - in order that we can become aware of these Laws and avoid a public hanging?

I am trying my best to stay within the Law regarding this subject, but I am finding it increasingly difficult when those who have voted in favour of (and compel observance to it) cannot provide sufficient evidence for its enactment. Nor can they provide imperitive evidence for its obedience! In another thread I asked for guidence as to whether a record I have is a bootleg or orig. The diversity in the responses has left me with no clear indication as to whether I am allowed to play it at an event???

Furthermore, the masses do not seem to give two hoots; as is it does nothing to protect thier rights - in fact it infringes on thier rights to hear certain songs unless they are at a venue where the DJ is rich enough to be able to purchase a copy.

Does anyone else think this is a clear case whereby - THE LAW IS AN ASS

NB: I have recieved one reply to this post - it came as no surprise the guy/girl is a DJ. nothing wrong with the reply, we are all entitled to our opinions. It did however strengthen my suspicions :yes:

p.s. why is an oldie described as 'same old, same old' if one DJ plays it - but is a 'forgotten gem' or 'lesser played' when onother DJ gives it a spin? frusty2.gif

p.p.s. The Emperor's new clothes :wicked:

Edited by mikecook
Social source share

IMHO it's a natural progression for scenes to ebb and flow popularity-wise. I don't think anyone needs to sit and think too hard about whether the soul scene will keep itself alive. As others in this post have already mentioned, there are a good many younger people out there who are into it big-time. In this country we are fortunate in that we have a fantastic pedigree of musical genres and subcultures from the last 6 decades. Yes there have been fads and fashions which have come and gone, but ultimately there will always be young people who are starting to think (and listen) for themselves and decide what they like from a young age, as indeed I did from the age of 11. You can't expect another Wigan casino-type movement as that era has passed (along with the Klubfoot, the Hacienda and other meccas of musicality now confined to the history books). I agree with some of the other posters here that it's about time some people were a little less sniffy about the "scene" and how much someone has paid for a piece of plastic.

Social source share

just to add fuel to my suspicions......

The OVO subject was discussed at great length on another soul forum. One person who acts for the soul police ph34r.gif made the statement that bootlegs were definitly NOT ALLOWED. He then made a post further on saying that it was ok for him to play out bootlegs at events as he owns the originals!!!!!!! :lol:

can anyone else see that the Emporor is in fact naked? :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

just to add fuel to my suspicions......

The OVO subject was discussed at great length on another soul forum. One person who acts for the soul police :lol: made the statement that bootlegs were definitly NOT ALLOWED. He then made a post further on saying that it was ok for him to play out bootlegs at events as he owns the originals!!!!!!! :yes:

can anyone else see that the Emporor is in fact naked? unsure.gif

:D:lol:

One rule for one..... :wicked:

Why would you own the original & a boot? :yes:

Social source share

it keeps the originals in mint condition tongue.gif

very well known DJ - being very hypocritical IMHO :wicked:

i sincerely hope i am not just seen as a dissenting member and silenced for speaking out for my beliefs :lol:

Edited by mikecook
Social source share

it keeps the originals in mint condition :yes:

very well known DJ - being very hypocritical IMHO :wicked:

i sincerely hope i am not just seen as a dissenting member and silenced for speaking out for my beliefs :yes:

==============

Where's the 'off with his head' icon? :lol:

Only a bit of verbal jousting MikeC, it's what makes SS what it is............. excellent thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Impetejones

I'm 17

I think there is a few of us appearing at local and even some national events now

Some of us are even DJing now

If we like the music and respect the 'older' generation around us then there is no problem is there?

I have nothing else to say on this matter but if you have something against or wrong with the youth showing up to venues then to be honest the phrase 'Moody Old Git' comes to mind

Those who agree with the youth, thank you for allowing us to venues and supporting us along the way

Stay Beautiful People :wicked:

Young Pete (Jonah's Lad)

Edited by Impetejones
Social source share

Theres plenty of young ones, dont worry. i dont say owt else :wicked:

just expand on what ive said earlyier.

There seems to be quiety a few 16+ appearing at venues which i go to where they let young ones in. Non of them course trouble, enjoying them selfs and singing to the music. i ve leant from last time that many of the older generation dont seem to agree with the young ones joining in on the music. Ive now been on the soul scene for nearly 5 years and ive leant a lot including a couple of backflips off carl piper, and ive also leant a lot about the music and different styles, oldies, r 'n' b, modern soul . ect. I feel that there is a lot more yunger generations to come on to the scene, that could be on the modern soul or evern on the mods side. i were at a gig in leeds the other week and there were loads of young ones, talking 17+. the atmostphere were electric and every one were enjoying them selfs.

Been carful in the way that i say this but if the youngones arnt been aloud in then the records will be worthless, and also the loss of a great generation of the soul music will come to a stop. Theres plenty of youngsters coming in and i think that some of you could show a bit more of a welcoming. i suppose if not the scene will die and thoses expencive records on rare lables will then be worth less.

please let us in, you were all young once biggrin.gif

Social source share

just expand on what ive said earlyier.

There seems to be quiety a few 16+ appearing at venues which i go to where they let young ones in. Non of them course trouble, enjoying them selfs and singing to the music. i ve leant from last time that many of the older generation dont seem to agree with the young ones joining in on the music. Ive now been on the soul scene for nearly 5 years and ive leant a lot including a couple of backflips off carl piper, and ive also leant a lot about the music and different styles, oldies, r 'n' b, modern soul . ect. I feel that there is a lot more yunger generations to come on to the scene, that could be on the modern soul or evern on the mods side. i were at a gig in leeds the other week and there were loads of young ones, talking 17+. the atmostphere were electric and every one were enjoying them selfs.

Been carful in the way that i say this but if the youngones arnt been aloud in then the records will be worthless, and also the loss of a great generation of the soul music will come to a stop. Theres plenty of youngsters coming in and i think that some of you could show a bit more of a welcoming. i suppose if not the scene will die and thoses expencive records on rare lables will then be worth less.

please let us in, you were all young once biggrin.gif

=============

Very passionate Alex, only a fool would stop you from inheriting the soul scene :wicked:

Winnie :-)

Social source share

I am getting more & more suspicious of the OVO legislation :) me-thinks this may be a passing of a law to ensure 'jobs for the boys'. Is this new law a way of restrict the minions in the lower fields; thus enabling the gentry to retain thier status and [possibly] helping to keep the doors slightly closed to a new audiance?

Can anyone provide me with details of the Green Paper on the OVO policy?

Has the Act been published for all to see - in order that we can become aware of these Laws and avoid a public hanging?

I am trying my best to stay within the Law regarding this subject, but I am finding it increasingly difficult when those who have voted in favour of (and compel observance to it) cannot provide sufficient evidence for its enactment. Nor can they provide imperitive evidence for its obedience! In another thread I asked for guidence as to whether a record I have is a bootleg or orig. The diversity in the responses has left me with no clear indication as to whether I am allowed to play it at an event???

Furthermore, the masses do not seem to give two hoots; as is it does nothing to protect thier rights - in fact it infringes on thier rights to hear certain songs unless they are at a venue where the DJ is rich enough to be able to purchase a copy.

Does anyone else think this is a clear case whereby - THE LAW IS AN ASS

NB: I have recieved one reply to this post - it came as no surprise the guy/girl is a DJ. nothing wrong with the reply, we are all entitled to our opinions. It did however strengthen my suspicions :(

p.s. why is an oldie described as 'same old, same old' if one DJ plays it - but is a 'forgotten gem' or 'lesser played' when onother DJ gives it a spin? :D

p.p.s. The Emperor's new clothes whistling.gif

As I tried to say on the other thread just before Mike wisely locked it, the other view on this is if you have to ask you shouldn't be allowed within 100 miles of DJ decks. There are no laws, no rules just an understanding of how it always was and how many think it should be regarding playing out on the Northern scene. The original only debate, as f****ing mindnumbingly boring as it is now, has nothing to with the debate on youth coming into scene in my opinion, just another smokescreen for wanabee DJ's desperate for any route in. You either get it or you don't, you clearly don't.

I appreciate there many scenes within the scene nowadays, and even more DJ's, do what you like at your local scenes for local people but don't try and belittle many years of peoples times and energy just because you don't get it.

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Guest rachel

Just an observation but it strikes me as strange that the younger members proclaiming themselves as the future of the soul scene only pop up on here and comment when this subject comes up - I know a fair number of the discussions on here are 'history' based or 'political' (and god knows you want to keep out of that as long as possible!) but where are you on the soundfile threads for example, if not posting up files then at least commenting or asking questions? If you're DJing then why no queries about records? I just find it odd that if you're so enthusiastic you're not joining in on here, and maybe, just maybe, you might find that people were more 'welcoming' in this virtual world if you got more involved... huh.gif

Social source share

Just an observation but it strikes me as strange that the younger members proclaiming themselves as the future of the soul scene only pop up on here and comment when this subject comes up - I know a fair number of the discussions on here are 'history' based or 'political' (and god knows you want to keep out of that as long as possible!) but where are you on the soundfile threads for example, if not posting up files then at least commenting or asking questions? If you're DJing then why no queries about records? I just find it odd that if you're so enthusiastic you're not joining in on here, and maybe, just maybe, you might find that people were more 'welcoming' in this virtual world if you got more involved... :D

i guess im not welcome then . ill keep my mouth shut next time mellow.gif

Social source share

==============

Where's the 'off with his head' icon? :D

Only a bit of verbal jousting MikeC, it's what makes SS what it is............. excellent thumbsup.gif

Off with my head? :)

It is not me that is protecting my originals.

Get 'em young & keep 'em interested - here is my daughter at the age of two double decking with me at home

buddingdj.jpg

Edited by mikecook
Social source share

don'y know where you go barry,but all the best places that are busy are allnighters and the music is UPTEMPO so deduce from that what you will tongue.gif

got to disagree with that one , lots of peeps i know canot be botherd any more with nighters due to going to nighters for donkys years age and good nights gone by take there toll and and a lot of peeps are content to go to a good well atendid club and i got to admit some of the clubs have far more people than the nighters like a lot of other people i stil get to 6 or 7 a year and they tend to be the same old faces most of the time i think some people havent a clue what the old real big nighters used to have in atendence maxims in wigan for example last wk was awfull to say the least and yet people on here are saying how well atendid and how good it was they must be triping or somthing ,yep its the same old story its stil the old uns keeping it all going no mater what people say , yes there is some young blood but compared to when we where all young its a drop in the sea , i think if it wasant for burnley i would not bother going to a nighter again , hey its just an opinion dont nail me for it

Social source share

As I tried to say on the other thread just before Mike wisely locked it, the other view on this is if you have to ask you shouldn't be allowed within 100 miles of DJ decks. There are no laws, no rules just an understanding of how it always was and how many think it should be regarding playing out on the Northern scene. The original only debate, as f****ing mindnumbingly boring as it is now, has nothing to with the debate on youth coming into scene in my opinion, just another smokescreen for wanabee DJ's desperate for any route in. You either get it or you don't, you clearly don't.

I appreciate there many scenes within the scene nowadays, and even more DJ's, do what you like at your local scenes for local people but don't try and belittle many years of peoples times and energy just because you don't get it.

Thank you for your thoughts Jocko. always good to hear different opinions - it would be even better if some came from non-DJ's.

How it always was - as someone who appears to like his history i am sure you are aware that boots & cut accitates have been around for the past 30 years, at least; and played out.

Regarding the youth coming into the scene - I am sure those who 'don't know' and would like to ask questions will find your comments very encouraging.

atb

mike

Social source share

i guess im not welcome then . ill keep my mouth shut next time mellow.gif

============

Alex,

You've got to get off your high horse. The vast majority of the soul fraternity would welcome you, there's always going to be some who want the scene to die with them, but they're in the minority and IMO going in the wrong direction. I'm sure Rachael was just suggesting other ways of getting involved. You could also send in reviews of events you've DJ'd at and include playlists. Don't be put off if anybody criticises the playlists, as you rightly say, everyone starts somewhere. Keep at it!!

Winnie :-)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert