Doo Wop Meets Northern Soul

Drew3

Someone has just lent me this Goldmine Soul Supply CD.

I wasn't sure what to expect.

However, I was pleasantly suprised and am hooked on playing the excellent;

I'm Standing In The Shadows....The Five Royales,

Gee What A Girl....The Persians,

My Baby Doesn't Love Me Anymore....The Travelers,

and

Love Will Break Your Heart....The Starfires.

I'm sure lots on here have the CD. What are your views of this compilation?

Are any of these getting an airing anywhere?

Being computer dumb I am unable to post up sound clips of these records so if someone could kindly oblige. :lol:

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

• Replies 93
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I too am a fan. Not heard the particular track mentioned by The Persians, but check out another of theirs if you can, WHEN YOU SAID LET'S GET MARRIED.

Bought one by The Cleftones a few months back called Heart and Soul and quite like stuff by The Orlons too.

I'd certainly like to hear more of this kinda stuff!!! :lol:

Social source share

Both sides of the Persians are good, got the record but not the technology to post a clip, played it last month at our venue. Come and give a go if you like that sort of stuff

Also got a number of others that are on the CD

You should also try "there she goes" by the Cleftones on Gee or "you'd be crying too" by the Matadors

I've also just got a cracker by the Butanes on Enrica and another by the Clusters on Tee Gee

Steve

Social source share

The Persians track is cracking Jobbo/ Steve.

Any one else able to post sound clips of the others I mentioned?

Or alternatively, anyone willing to PM me an idiots guide to how I can play the CD on ITunes and then transfer onto here and then turn it into the format the site prefers etc?

:lol:

KTF.

Drew.

Edited by Drew3
Social source share

Love this kinda stuff, i've got a cd by The Volumes, from "doo-wop" to "northern soul", it's got 'I just can't help myself', one way lover', 'my road is the right road', you put a spell on me', a fantastic ballad 'a way to love you' and many more great tune's.

I recommend this Drew. The cd is Chex Records crcd-1002

Willie

Edited by Soulgrit
Social source share

The Persians track is cracking Jobbo/ Steve.

Any one else able to post sound clips of the others I mentioned?

Or alternatively, anyone willing to PM me an idiots guide to how I can play the CD on ITunes and then transfer onto here and then turn it into the format the site prefers etc?

:g:

KTF.

Drew.

Will certainly be looking up all the tunes mentioned on this topic. Cheers everybody!!! thumbup.gif

Social source share

Will certainly be looking up all the tunes mentioned on this topic. Cheers everybody!!! :g:

try

The Drivers - I get weak [RCA]

Rays - Elevator Operator [XYZ]

The Valiants - Walkin Girl [Ensign]..... think it came out on another label too, the name of which escapes me at the mo'

loads of good doo wop/soul dancers by 5 royales on King

Kev.C.

Social source share

and

Being computer dumb I am unable to post up sound clips of these records so if someone could kindly oblige. :g:

KTF.

Drew.

One of the great DooWop records for me , is " The Girl I Love " by The Cadillacs ........

Despite it being labelled as a DooWop record , it has a swaying / haunting ( especially the opening trumpet introduction ) rhythm backing , which , in the light of many records that have been / are being played with a similar " beat " , could do the business if given the exposure .........

I have been very tempted to give this a spin when I play a venue ; perhaps I should , and damn the torpedoes ...........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Don´t forget:

Four Chaps - True lovers - Co & Ce

Listen in: https://www.soul-source.co.uk/rare-northern...s-true-lovers-0

Awesome!!!

Don't care what its label is meant to be that is cracking mid-tempo soul to me and it would certainly have me on the dance floor if heard out!!!

More please, more (with sound clips). :thumbup:

KTF.

Drew.

Edited by Drew3
Social source share

One of the great DooWop records for me , is " The Girl I Love " by The Cadillacs ........

Despite it being labelled as a DooWop record , it has a swaying / haunting ( especially the opening trumpet introduction ) rhythm backing , which , in the light of many records that have been / are being played with a similar " beat " , could do the business if given the exposure .........

I have been very tempted to give this a spin when I play a venue ; perhaps I should , and damn the torpedoes ...........

Malc Burton

Any chance of a sound clip Malc or would that knacker-up you giving it an airing at a do?

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

Any chance of a sound clip Malc or would that knacker-up you giving it an airing at a do?

KTF.

Drew.

Bear with me , and I will give it a try to put a sound clip on ........

The Cadillacs - The Girl I Love ( Jamie )

Apologies it is only a part of it .......

Malc Burton

The_Girl_I_Love.mp3

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

A couple of genuine doo-wop records that have been played on the scene are:

The Delcos - Arabia (Showcase)

The Drapers - Your Love Has Gone Away (Gee)

...and I've always thought that any DJ with a flair for the adventurous should play:

Shep and the Limelites - Everything Is Gonna Be All Right (Hull)

The Turbans - Three Friends (Roulette)

The Temptations - Paradise (Gordy)

...and probably a few more that will come to mind later...

Social source share

and

Being computer dumb I am unable to post up sound clips of these records so if someone could kindly oblige. :shhh:

KTF.

Drew.

Attached (hopefully), The Persians track.

Andy

Social source share

A couple of genuine doo-wop records that have been played on the scene are:

The Delcos - Arabia (Showcase)

The Drapers - Your Love Has Gone Away (Gee)

...and I've always thought that any DJ with a flair for the adventurous should play:

Shep and the Limelites - Everything Is Gonna Be All Right (Hull)

The Turbans - Three Friends (Roulette)

The Temptations - Paradise (Gordy)

...and probably a few more that will come to mind later...

I am familiar with the Drapers tune and Paradise by the Temptations Tony and just listened to The Delcos on TSCJB.

For the benefit of this know nowt Tony what do you mean by genuine Doo Wop records?

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

Guest denmac

got to be two of the best of this genre:ceasers- la la i love you, commands-hey its love/no time for love. lets add the pentagons-until then. and lets add lee andrews and the hearts.

Social source share

got to be two of the best of this genre:ceasers- la la i love you, commands-hey its love/no time for love. lets add the pentagons-until then. and lets add lee andrews and the hearts.

Two great bands & tunes...but thats are (in my opinion) Harmony/vocal bands but no doo woop...

Sorry for my bad english & Cheers!!

Social source share

I too am a fan. Not heard the particular track mentioned by The Persians, but check out another of theirs if you can, WHEN YOU SAID LET'S GET MARRIED.

Bought one by The Cleftones a few months back called Heart and Soul and quite like stuff by The Orlons too.

I'd certainly like to hear more of this kinda stuff!!! thumbup.gif

Hi Carole heres another for ya again the fabulous PERSIANS - GEE WHAT A GIRL absolutely brilliant and this thread wouldnt be complete without VAN TREVOR - FLING OF THE PAST totally feel good tunes lv DOO WOP DI :P:thumbup: ooops sorry someone else mentioned gee what a girl :g:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Hi Carole heres another for ya again the fabulous PERSIANS - GEE WHAT A GIRL absolutely brilliant and this thread wouldnt be complete without VAN TREVOR - FLING OF THE PAST totally feel good tunes lv DOO WOP DI laugh.gif:P ooops sorry someone else mentioned gee what a girl :thumbup:

Gee What A Girl, absolutely awesome record.

This tune would surely go down a storm played out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

Guest cenco

best doowop meets soul tune i,ve heard has to be the five chances-stranger i love you-finch records its in refosoul somewhere i posted it a while ago.....

Social source share

Guest vespadan83

Kenny Gamble's version of Standing in the shadows is one of my personal favourites, It costs a fortune to get a copy though,

There are some excellent Doo Wop records which in my opinion go great with Northern Soul.

I also love Billy Keene's Finally got wise On galaxy records.

Dan

Social source share

Gee What A Girl, absolutely awesome record.

This tune would surely go down a storm played out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KTF.

Drew.

Hi Drew i've played it out a few times got good feedback and will be playing next sun night in york so come along laugh.gif:P love the persians and WHEN YOU SAID LETS GET MARRIED is an anthem at the do we run luv Di xxx

Social source share

Guest posstot

ooh, ooh, ooh.....

Freddy Scott Brand new world Colpix.

Marcels Give me back your love Colpix

Creations Lady Luck Take Ten

Cleftones Do You Gee

Radiants Please don't leave me baby Chess

Otis Williams and the Charms In Paradise De-Luxe

Artistics What'll I do Okeh

Don Day Curtis Don't talk about me baby Abc/para

Dynamics Moonlight Impala

Vito and the Salutations EEnie Meenie Herald

Utopians Dutch treat Imperial

Wanderers A little too long Cub

Some others, for you to be going on with!!!! All a little doo woppy their. Also second what Longy listed(Steve) and that if you're liking your Doo Wop tilt....there are plenty of early soulful recordings that aren't neccessarily doo woppy...for example

Turbans The damage is done herald

Wanderers Somebody elses sweetheart Cub

Sidney Barnes Wait Gemini

Chuck Wright Love, i won't be your fool anymore Ember

Erma Franklyn It's over Epic....What Kind of Girl!! too.

What a fantastic music we Love...all the early soul is where it's goin on for me...the depth in variety of mood and feel you can squaller in( JUST LIKE THE PREVERBIAL PIG)

Its all being found/re-activated and played down at the Soulful Shack in Culcheth. We're not the same old same old!!!

Social source share

best doowop meets soul tune i,ve heard has to be the five chances-stranger i love you-finch records its in refosoul somewhere i posted it a while ago.....

Top top tune and very rare, after to agree with you Cenco best doo wop meets soul 45 I have ever heard, other side is good also, "I'll Miss You (When You're Gone)", I reviewed this record a few years ago in Martyn Bradley's Soul Renaissance mag, 2005 I think, time to review it again with a sound clip.

Andy

Social source share

Hi Carole heres another for ya again the fabulous PERSIANS - GEE WHAT A GIRL absolutely brilliant and this thread wouldnt be complete without VAN TREVOR - FLING OF THE PAST totally feel good tunes lv DOO WOP DI :thumbup::wicked: ooops sorry someone else mentioned gee what a girl :lol:

Hiya hun

I'll certainly check this one out and let you know what I think. I wouldn't have heard When You Said Let's Get Married if it hadn't been for you. Big fan of the Van Trevor one too. As you know I'm a 100 miles an hour type of gal (even though I'm having trouble keeping up with 'em these days, lol) but if I do listen to

slow ones they do seem to be along the Do-Wop lines. Only trouble is, some of them are so sentimental they bring a lump to my throat!!! Maybe I'm a soppy old sod deep down, lol!!!!

Take Care xx

Social source share

Hi Drew i've played it out a few times got good feedback and will be playing next sun night in york so come along laugh.gif:thumbsup: love the persians and WHEN YOU SAID LETS GET MARRIED is an anthem at the do we run luv Di xxx

York's a bit far for a Sunday night Di but I would love to hear Gee What A Girl played out.

Any chance of a sound clip of WYSLGM?

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I dunno, Drew, in answer to your question - I suppose that my idea of 'genuine' doo-wop would be group records that hark back in style to an earlier era of rhythm & blues rather than ones that try to anticipate soul. So "Paradise" by the Temptations, from 1962, would be genuine doo wop, whereas their next Gordy release, the excellent "Farewell My Love" from 1963, is on the cusp of what would become the classic Temptations soul group harmony style.

Likewise "Arabia" is a hangover from the 1950s, albeit with a crunching dance beat. And something like the Drapers' "Your Love Has Gone Away" pays homage to the old Drifters sound of the late 50s (cf. "There Goes My Baby", "Oh My Love", "Sometimes I Wonder") while at the same time dipping a toe into what the group would do next with "I Count The Tears" and "Save The Last Dance For Me". (the Drapers were former members of the Drifters, BTW and in case you didn't know...)

Most doo-wop collectors would tell you that doo-wop had more or less ended by the end of 1962, and that's when soul came in full time. Some doo-woppers hung in there and adapted - for instance, Vito and the Salutations, Shep and the Limelites and, of course, Lee Andrews and the Hearts all made the musical leap with ease, even though they didn't get any hit records in the 'new' format.

Some of the records and groups mentioned here are indeed 'doo-wop meets northern soul' - many others are not, including, I'd have to say, more than half of those mentioned by Posstot (sorry, mate...). Doo-wop's 'first law' is that if a record is by a solo artist and it doesn't have a group vocal accompaniment, it's not doo-wop - but that doesn't mean that every group record made before or around the turn of the 60s IS doo-wop, either.

For example, never in a million years would I consider my beloved '5' Royales to be a doo wop group - they came straight from the church, whereas most doo-wop groups did not come via gospel, and took the likes of the Ink Spots and the Mills Brothers as their inspiration instead. Doo-wop or not, though, the Royales are - IMO - the greatest soul vocal group of all time!. It's all a matter of personal taste, I suppose.

The bottom line in judging whether a record is doo-wop or not would probably be that - to meet the criteria of this thread's title, at least - a record would have to have sounded dated by early 1964.

This probably doesn't help, but I enjoyed mouthing off anyway! laugh.gif

Social source share

I dunno, Drew, in answer to your question - I suppose that my idea of 'genuine' doo-wop would be group records that hark back in style to an earlier era of rhythm & blues rather than ones that try to anticipate soul. So "Paradise" by the Temptations, from 1962, would be genuine doo wop, whereas their next Gordy release, the excellent "Farewell My Love" from 1963, is on the cusp of what would become the classic Temptations soul group harmony style.

Likewise "Arabia" is a hangover from the 1950s, albeit with a crunching dance beat. And something like the Drapers' "Your Love Has Gone Away" pays homage to the old Drifters sound of the late 50s (cf. "There Goes My Baby", "Oh My Love", "Sometimes I Wonder") while at the same time dipping a toe into what the group would do next with "I Count The Tears" and "Save The Last Dance For Me". (the Drapers were former members of the Drifters, BTW and in case you didn't know...)

Most doo-wop collectors would tell you that doo-wop had more or less ended by the end of 1962, and that's when soul came in full time. Some doo-woppers hung in there and adapted - for instance, Vito and the Salutations, Shep and the Limelites and, of course, Lee Andrews and the Hearts all made the musical leap with ease, even though they didn't get any hit records in the 'new' format.

Some of the records and groups mentioned here are indeed 'doo-wop meets northern soul' - many others are not, including, I'd have to say, more than half of those mentioned by Posstot (sorry, mate...). Doo-wop's 'first law' is that if a record is by a solo artist and it doesn't have a group vocal accompaniment, it's not doo-wop - but that doesn't mean that every group record made before or around the turn of the 60s IS doo-wop, either.

For example, never in a million years would I consider my beloved '5' Royales to be a doo wop group - they came straight from the church, whereas most doo-wop groups did not come via gospel, and took the likes of the Ink Spots and the Mills Brothers as their inspiration instead. Doo-wop or not, though, the Royales are - IMO - the greatest soul vocal group of all time!. It's all a matter of personal taste, I suppose.

The bottom line in judging whether a record is doo-wop or not would probably be that - to meet the criteria of this thread's title, at least - a record would have to have sounded dated by early 1964.

This probably doesn't help, but I enjoyed mouthing off anyway! :(

Respect! :no:

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert