Barry White "what Am I Gonna Do With You"

Guest 2648 W Grand Boulevard

Now not being an expert, just someone who has had a long time love affair with Soul music in all forms, what does the Soul Source membership think of this question.

Considering that some venues play Duffy's "Mercy" track, whats the opinion on the above Barry White track which certainly has that danceable beat to it, probably more akin to a gentle shuffle though rather than a frenetic exercise class sweatingbullets.gif

I'd love to hear it played out sometime, by the way I'm off to Drax on Friday night so theres a polite hint to the DJ's.

Now I'm going to take cover and await the slings and arrows of outraged members g.gif

Dave whistling.gif

Social source share

• Replies 46
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Now not being an expert, just someone who has had a long time love affair with Soul music in all forms, what does the Soul Source membership think of this question.

Considering that some venues play Duffy's "Mercy" track, whats the opinion on the above Barry White track which certainly has that danceable beat to it, probably more akin to a gentle shuffle though rather than a frenetic exercise class sweatingbullets.gif

I'd love to hear it played out sometime, by the way I'm off to Drax on Friday night so theres a polite hint to the DJ's.

Now I'm going to take cover and await the slings and arrows of outraged members g.gif

Dave whistling.gif

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Walruss in my view. He made some wonderful records - what am I gonna do included.

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Walruss in my view. He made some wonderful records - what am I gonna do included.

thumbsup.gif

Agree with you! I,ve always loved Barry White especially "Can,t get enough of your love" rolleyes.gif such a sexy voice he had wicked.gif

JB xxxKTFxxx

Edited by JELLYBEAN
Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Agree with you! I,ve always loved Barry White especially "Can,t get enough of your love" rolleyes.gif such a sexy voice he had wicked.gif

JB xxxKTFxxx

Just so right at the moment.....gets a good few plays at Broughton. Doesn't have to be rare to be good. Always packs the floor... at least 90% of guests seem to be on the dance floor when its played, the rest are at the bar topping up on cheap beer laugh.gif .

Brian thumbsup.gif

Social source share

All Barry White's output is great. There's also a massive stash of generally overlooked stuff on his albums and side-projects too. The first soul record I can remember buying was a Barry White production - Felice Taylor's "I Feel Love Coming On" in '67 and I've been playing his stuff ever since!

Love him!

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

All Barry White's output is great. There's also a massive stash of generally overlooked stuff on his albums and side-projects too. The first soul record I can remember buying was a Barry White production - Felice Taylor's "I Feel Love Coming On" in '67 and I've been playing his stuff ever since!

Love him!

Ian D :lol:

Morning Ian

As you say, he did some great side projects. Me always loved Westwing LP, nice production job.

Dave

Social source share

Barry White - One of the most underated soulsters there is. Mainly due to his massive commercial success in the 70s with his Love Unlimited Sound. His full story including his early days as Gene West, Lee Barry etc and his association with a number of LA set ups is being produced now for a future issue of There's That Beat! . Watch this space... :lol: Favourite BW track - 'All In The Run Of A Day'

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Barry White wrote and produced late 20th Century classical music. Along with the harpsicord effect, harp, viloins, violas and cello's, piano, wood wind etc, he was a modern day Toscanini, although Toscanini gave up writing songs and conducted. I had this coversation at the home of Toscanini in Parma with the curator. White aspired to the classics becuase of his mothers influence. Written in a modern style and utilising drums and guitars, it is no wonder White's music will be around for a long time. I think 'Loves Theme', will be listened to and enjoyed by many. He surely was a romantic. Let's not forget the arranger Gene page who helped forge the sound.

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Barry White - One of the most underated soulsters there is. Mainly due to his massive commercial success in the 70s with his Love Unlimited Sound. His full story including his early days as Gene West, Lee Barry etc and his association with a number of LA set ups is being produced now for a future issue of There's That Beat! . Watch this space... :lol: Favourite BW track - 'All In The Run Of A Day'

Got his biography somewhere, great read.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I know plenty of people who wouldn't give him the time of day, but to me every single one of BW's big hits is a classic, especially "You See The Trouble With Me", "Let The Music Play" and "For You I'll Do Anything You Want Me To".

I also really love some of his less successful 45s, in particular "I'm Qualified To Satisfy You" (incredible strings!), "Baby We Better Try To Get Ourselves Together" (perhaps the definitive Barry White track), "Beware" (gorgeous doowop), "Louie Louie" (great stomping latin soul version) and, from his 80s comeback era, his brilliant steppers version of "As Time Goes By".

I'd never mind hearing Bazza dropped in an oldies spot at any modern/crossover do. In fact I'm going to make it my business to play something by him when I guest at MonuMENTAL next month...

Social source share

Just saw a documentry last week aired in Aussie about his life, a tragic end for him dying without his family allowed by his bedside. As his son said in the dodo it was so sad that a man who gave so much love to the world should die all alone in need of love.

He had an amazing talent and used to hum all the parts of each instrument in a tape recorder for the orchestration of each song .; so the arranger could transpose it all to a score.

pure genius and i managed to see him live just before he died, what a man

ps i have played this a few times in sets and has gone down great guns everytime

best

pete m

Social source share

Thanks for all the information and sound clips. I knew there was some good stuff done in his early days but further investigations are required to increase my education.

Mr Wigley, leave that particular record in your 70's box ready for a particular weekend at a certain East Yorkshire resort, you play it & I'll buy you a Guinness :thumbup:

Dave

thumbup.gif

Social source share

Thanks for all the information and sound clips. I knew there was some good stuff done in his early days but further investigations are required to increase my education.

Mr Wigley, leave that particular record in your 70's box ready for a particular weekend at a certain East Yorkshire resort, you play it & I'll buy you a Guinness :thumbup:

Dave

thumbup.gif

There is nowt like a bit of Bribery and corruption mate :thumbup:

Social source share

Just saw a documentry last week aired in Aussie about his life, a tragic end for him dying without his family allowed by his bedside. As his son said in the dodo it was so sad that a man who gave so much love to the world should die all alone in need of love.

best

pete m

Thats really sad :lol:

JB xxxKTFxxx

Social source share

Partial to a bit of BW meself, but would think his hits get played at many a regular 7ts-9ts disco so whats the point.

Was a great (think) 6ts track by him on a cd titled "Medallion man" given free with the Sun newspaper, can anyone remember what song was called, me mum threw her copy out doh

Social source share

Partial to a bit of BW meself, but would think his hits get played at many a regular 7ts-9ts disco so whats the point.

Was a great (think) 6ts track by him on a cd titled "Medallion man" given free with the Sun newspaper, can anyone remember what song was called, me mum threw her copy out doh

Just seen the cd for sale on ebay!

Song called "your heart and soul" its a great track by him

Social source share

Considering that some venues play Duffy's "Mercy" track, whats the opinion on the above Barry White track which certainly has that danceable beat to it, probably more akin to a gentle shuffle though rather than a frenetic exercise class :lol:

Dave :lol:

BARRY WHITE. VERY TALENTED, MUSICAL GENIUS EVEN, WAY AHEAD OF HIS TIME.

BUT WOULD BE ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED IF I HEARD ANY OF HIS CHARTS STUFF AT A NORTHERN SOUL VENUE :lol: . MIGHT AS WELL PUT A MIRRORED BALL OVER THE DANCE FLOOR angry.gif .

THINK HE WOULD GO DOWN WELL AT DRAX THOUGH. THEY PROBABLY HAVE A COMPLATION OF HIS IN THEIR CD COLLECTION :lol: .

Social source share

I saw Barry White at the Royal Albert Hall, London in 1975.

Absolutely fantastic live, was the best to this day! :g:

You just can't help a toe tap, or a wriggle hearing his stuff. Luv it!

Bring back Ally McBeal!!

post-9683-1209068424_thumb.jpg

post-9683-1209068469_thumb.jpg

Edited by paup-ine
Social source share

BUT WOULD BE ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED IF I HEARD ANY OF HIS CHARTS STUFF AT A NORTHERN SOUL VENUE angry.gif .

Which bit would you be 'ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED' with?

The fact that he was a 'Musical Genius' or the fact that he was successful enough (at being a Musical Genius) to get into the charts with his material?

:g:

Sean

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

BUT WOULD BE ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED IF I HEARD ANY OF HIS CHARTS STUFF AT A NORTHERN SOUL VENUE angry.gif . MIGHT AS WELL PUT A MIRRORED BALL OVER THE DANCE FLOOR angry.gif .

THINK HE WOULD GO DOWN WELL AT DRAX THOUGH. THEY PROBABLY HAVE A COMPLATION OF HIS IN THEIR CD COLLECTION :g: .

WHY???????????????????????

Brian

Social source share

Which bit would you be 'ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED' with?

The fact that he was a 'Musical Genius' or the fact that he was successful enough (at being a Musical Genius) to get into the charts with his material?

:g:

Sean

jimbob mentions its the chart hits that he'd be disgusted with. Dont think he's having a pop at the merits of Barry White musical prowess, just the thought of a northern/rare soul night churning out easily heard elsewhere popular hits, I'd second that emotion.

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

I love his own stuff but he also produced and wrote one of my all time fave Northern tracks, Johnny Wyatt's- This Thing Called Love. What a track.

I wonder did he know his name was cockney rhyme and slang for a number 2? :g:

Social source share

I love his own stuff but he also produced and wrote one of my all time fave Northern tracks, Johnny Wyatt's- This Thing Called Love. What a track.

I wonder did he know his name was cockney rhyme and slang for a number 2? :g:

Ayeup Andy aint a no2 more Ertha Kitt?

you hampton who gives a friar

thumbup.gif

Social source share

jimbob mentions its the chart hits that he'd be disgusted with. Dont think he's having a pop at the merits of Barry White musical prowess, just the thought of a northern/rare soul night churning out easily heard elsewhere popular hits, I'd second that emotion.

I'd third that emotion!!!! I think the mirrored ball over the dance floor gives it away!!! :thumbup:

Social source share

BUT WOULD BE ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED IF I HEARD ANY OF HIS CHARTS STUFF AT A NORTHERN SOUL VENUE :thumbup: . MIGHT AS WELL PUT A MIRRORED BALL OVER THE DANCE FLOOR :wave: .

Exactly what I was thinking. Why not play every other soul record that made the Uk top 20? The Tymes - Ms Grace, there's your next biggie. Sold half a million copies so should be easy to pick up. In fact why not put on your K-Tel "Super Bad" album and just play the lot.

Social source share

Guest netty

I Love Barry White,

'September (When I first Met You)' gets played in quite a few modern/crossover venues a lot.

I don't attend many northern only venues, so haven't heard Duffy played out, (Or in a modern room for that matter) I love it when someone throws in a record that 'charted' though! esp. seventies.

I'm not that clued up on all the different music policys. 'Rare' can be Northern and Modern and Crossover as far as I can see?

So if Duffy was played at a venue where the flyer said 'Rare Soul Night' then I suppose you could be a bit miffed!

xx Annette (back to lurking)

Social source share

Hmmm, interesting thread and one I never thought would see the light of day on this forum for some reason but have to say I still get a tingle at his Love Theme instrumental, a wonderful track, and have to also admit his songs were played to death at our house back in the 70s :thumbup: , went to see him here in Edinburgh with a crowd of friends and have to say I was in awe at his wonderful show,

Lenny

Social source share

Hmmm, interesting thread and one I never thought would see the light of day on this forum for some reason but have to say I still get a tingle at his Love Theme instrumental, a wonderful track, and have to also admit his songs were played to death at our house back in the 70s :thumbup: , went to see him here in Edinburgh with a crowd of friends and have to say I was in awe at his wonderful show,

Lenny

I agree, Love's Theme is great, but to discuss whether Barry White's 70's hits should be played on the rare soul scene is just ridiculous. All his records sounded the same anyway, and after Can't Get Enough Of Your Love most of them were crap.

Social source share

I'm not a fan. I find his production style to be the poor man's version of the Philly sound. His voice, while certainly distinctive was one of the most limited instruments in black music. For that reason his stuff tends to work best when in the hands of female singers: Love Unlimited, Gloria Scott etc.

Social source share

Considering that some venues play Duffy's "Mercy" track, whats the opinion on the above Barry White track which certainly has that danceable beat to it, probably more akin to a gentle shuffle though rather than a frenetic exercise class :shhh:

Now I'm going to take cover and await the slings and arrows of outraged members :shhh:

Dave :lol:

WE,VE BEEN PLAYING

BARRY WHITE -I NEVER THOURGHT I,D FALL IN LOVE WITH YOU

AT JOES BAR IN DARLINGTON FOR THE LAST 6 MONTHS OR SO

ITS A B-SIDE

AND IT GOES DOWN GREAT PEOPLE GENERALLY SURPRISED ITS BARRY WHITE

HARRY

Social source share

The thing is, back in the late 60' and the 70's, people got into Northern Soul music because it was different from everything else - it was away from the mainstream and thats what made it so special. Chart music was the music they played in silly discos and nightclubs. Which is why the mention of Barry White in the context of playing his records at a Northern Soul event is always going to be controversial. Yes, if it's an obscure track which not many people would know, but 100% no to anything that charted. And anyone who plays Duffy at a Northern do really has lost all sense of reality. It's the Rare Soul scene not Top Of The Pops.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

BUT WOULD BE ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED IF I HEARD ANY OF HIS CHARTS STUFF AT A NORTHERN SOUL VENUE :shhh: . MIGHT AS WELL PUT A MIRRORED BALL OVER THE DANCE FLOOR :lol: .

...there have been plenty of considerably more disgusting records played in the name of Northern Soul down the years than the chart hits of Barry White. Presumably you wouldn't mind hearing those if they haven't been spun by Alan Freeman or Dale Winton, though...

Let's see, The Baltimore and Ohio Marching Band or 'Let The Music Play'? Bit of a no-brainer, really.

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Ayeup Andy aint a no2 more Ertha Kitt?

you hampton who gives a friar

:rolleyes:

Hi Danny,

Eartha Kitt rhyme and slang for Shit

Barry White rhyme and slang for Shite

God Ive gone way off topic.

Hope all is well in Dublin :(

Social source share

...there have been plenty of considerably more disgusting records played in the name of Northern Soul down the years than the chart hits of Barry White. Presumably you wouldn't mind hearing those if they haven't been spun by Alan Freeman or Dale Winton, though...

Let's see, The Baltimore and Ohio Marching Band or 'Let The Music Play'? Bit of a no-brainer, really.

HEAR HEAR! :(

Social source share

Baltimore Band every time, it's a Northern Soul record.

Social source share

CHEERS MATE. AT LEAST YOU FIGURED OUT WHERE I WAS COMING FROM WITH MY COMMENT :(

Social source share

HERE'S A FEW MORE WITH A GREAT UPTEMPO BEAT THAT WOULD BE GREAT TO DANCE TO :-

BOOGIE WONDERLAND - EARTH WIND AND FIRE

YOU MAKE ME FEEL MIGHTY REAL - SYLVESTER

YOU SHOULD BE DANCIN' - BEE GEES

OH AND LET'S SAVE THE BEST TILL LAST SHALL WE - DISCO DUCK OF COURSE :rolleyes:

CATCH THEM AT YOUR LOCAL 70'S THEME PUB :(

JUST FOR THE RECORD I WOULDN'T LIKE TO HEAR THESE PLAYED EITHER AND FORGOT TO MENTION, THAT GOES FOR DUFFY TOO :rolleyes:KEEP THE FAITH :rolleyes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert