Uk Action 45s

paultp

Sorry if this is the wrong place or has been discussed but the search thingy keeps hanging my PC!

Anyway can some knowledgeable soul tell me what the difference is between Action 45's that have the centre which can be dinked and those that don't?

Is it an issue/re-issue thing?

Thanks

Paul

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Sorry if this is the wrong place or has been discussed but the search thingy keeps hanging my PC!

Anyway can some knowledgeable soul tell me what the difference is between Action 45's that have the centre which can be dinked and those that don't?

Is it an issue/re-issue thing?

Thanks

Paul

No difference whatsover Paul (apart from the obvious fact that some have push out centres and some don't). All of the Action releases were pressed at the Orlake factory in Dagenham, where they had both 'push out' and 'solid centre' presses. I guess it was really a matter of pot luck as to which presses were available when it was time to manufacture any given 45).

Most labels that were pressed exclusively by Orlake (including all the Trojan labels) have a mixture of solids and push outs in their catalogues...

Social source share

No difference whatsover Paul (apart from the obvious fact that some have push out centres and some don't). All of the Action releases were pressed at the Orlake factory in Dagenham, where they had both 'push out' and 'solid centre' presses. I guess it was really a matter of pot luck as to which presses were available when it was time to manufacture any given 45).

Most labels that were pressed exclusively by Orlake (including all the Trojan labels) have a mixture of solids and push outs in their catalogues...

Many thanks.

Are the dinkable ones somehow more attractive to collectors?

Social source share

Many thanks.

Are the dinkable ones somehow more attractive to collectors?

Thanks so much for asking this question. I have wondered about this myself.

I was lucky enough to find two copies of Bobby Patterson in the 80's. One Solid & One Dinkable.

Action_ACT-4604a.jpgAction_ACT-4604b.jpg

Action_ACT-4556a.jpgAction_ACT-4556b.jpg

As I decided to sell one I wondered which one to choose.

Purely on the basis that the other Green Action that I had at the time was Dinkable I sold the Solid Centre,

but it is something that I have wondered about, thanks for asking.

Thanks Tony for the Information.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

I was lucky enough to find two copies of Bobby Patterson in the 80's. One Solid & One Dinkable.

Purely on the basis that the other Green Action that I had at the time was Dinkable I sold the Solid Centre,

Another question, "Urban Myth?" that now springs to mind about Action.

I was once told in the early days that the Action label was Introduced as a replacement to the Sue label, hence the Yellow/Red.

Sue_WI-377a.jpgAction_ACT-4539a.jpg

Any truth in this.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

To be honest that's why I was asking, I bought a solid Bobby Patterson for just over 30 quid off eBay, love the tune and the UK seems cheaper than the US which is unusual, I then noticed that Pat Brady has a dinkable one on auction and it is 150 already!

I don't know anything about UK issued soul as I have only collected US and not for very long. I thought I had some sort of re-issue but it appears not. The Olympics I have is dinkable now I've looked.

All useful information and very interesting biggrin.giflaugh.gif

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

Action was my foremost collected label right until the early / mid 80's when I partially 'sold up' (kept some of the harder ones).

I was only short of 1 or 2 releases across all LP's and 45's.

What a fantastic catalogue of material.

Seriously soulful stuff from Bobby Bland to Bobby Patterson!

Just Bloody Lovely.

:lol:

Sean

Social source share

THEY DID BOTH TYPES BECAUSE SOME DEALERS WOULD ORDER PUSH OUT CENTRES TO SUPPLY TO JUKE BOX DEALERS

MAX..

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

THEY DID BOTH TYPES BECAUSE SOME DEALERS WOULD ORDER PUSH OUT CENTRES TO SUPPLY TO JUKE BOX DEALERS

MAX..

...yes, a staple of every jukebox, those Action releases, weren't they? :lol::P

As I said before, it was simply a matter of the 'luck of the draw' at Orlake whether a record was solid or push out. I don't think that 'juke box potential' had anything to do with it. Of course, if the manufacturer suddenly received an order of quantity from a juke box supplier, then it patently made sense to use the 'push out' presses. Given that no Action release ever had a hope in hell of finding itself on the pop charts of the day, it's really not likely that anyone at Orlake was ever given special instructions as to which type of press to use to manufacture them...

When the label was revived in the early 70s, after a short break, the pressings were manufactured by EMI and, again, it's probably not likely that the 'push out' pressings were manufactured to cater for any budding juke box market - they were just pressed on whichever stampers were available on the day.

To answer the question about Sue metamorphsing into Action, yes, that's what happened. EMI bought the rights to the US Sue catalogue and logo in 1967 and therefore Island no longer had the rights to use the logo after 1968. I think that the creation of Action was partly the result of that, and partly the result of a desire to update an image, after Island ceded the distribution of their soul and reggae labels to the newly formed B & C company...

Social source share

...yes, a staple of every jukebox, those Action releases, weren't they? :lol::P

As I said before, it was simply a matter of the 'luck of the draw' at Orlake whether a record was solid or push out. I don't think that 'juke box potential' had anything to do with it. Of course, if the manufacturer suddenly received an order of quantity from a juke box supplier, then it patently made sense to use the 'push out' presses. Given that no Action release ever had a hope in hell of finding itself on the pop charts of the day, it's really not likely that anyone at Orlake was ever given special instructions as to which type of press to use to manufacture them...

When the label was revived in the early 70s, after a short break, the pressings were manufactured by EMI and, again, it's probably not likely that the 'push out' pressings were manufactured to cater for any budding juke box market - they were just pressed on whichever stampers were available on the day.

To answer the question about Sue metamorphsing into Action, yes, that's what happened. EMI bought the rights to the US Sue catalogue and logo in 1967 and therefore Island no longer had the rights to use the logo after 1968. I think that the creation of Action was partly the result of that, and partly the result of a desire to update an image, after Island ceded the distribution of their soul and reggae labels to the newly formed B & C company...

VERY interesting stuff that Tony, cheers.

Do you keep all that stuff in your head or do you keep it all filed away somewhere for future use, like now?

Whatever . . . . it's good that there are people like you around.

Denbo.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

VERY interesting stuff that Tony, cheers.

Do you keep all that stuff in your head or do you keep it all filed away somewhere for future use, like now?

Whatever . . . . it's good that there are people like you around.

Denbo.

I'm seemingly just blessed/cursed with a rententive memory for often (but patently not always!) useless minutiae, Denbo. If only I could remember birthdays, anniversaries, deadlines to pay bills etc. in the same way... :lol:

Social source share

Solid centres are preferable I think as the "dinkable" ones have the tiny spindles joining the centre to the record and these can break quite easily, especially if the centre hole is a little on the small side. Broken struts are not too easy to repair either wihtout damaging the label. After all with UK the condition is paramount (or at least seems to be).

Social source share

Solid centres are preferable I think as the "dinkable" ones have the tiny spindles joining the centre to the record and these can break quite easily, especially if the centre hole is a little on the small side. Broken struts are not too easy to repair either wihtout damaging the label. After all with UK the condition is paramount (or at least seems to be).

That would probaly make the dinkable ones slightly rarer then? Particularly on the rarer numbers?

Social source share

some great stuff released on action,Z Z Hill "make me yours" and I think Tom Green "endless confusion" only ever came out on UK release,I collect mainly US 45s,but always preferred to wait until I could get Eddie Holman "I surrender" on action,just a personal thing I suppose

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

some great stuff released on action,Z Z Hill "make me yours" and I think Tom Green "endless confusion" only ever came out on UK release,I collect mainly US 45s,but always preferred to wait until I could get Eddie Holman "I surrender" on action,just a personal thing I suppose

As I said on another thread, though, almost everything on Action is dubbed from disc, certanly in the 4500 'series' , and many of them are dubbed quite badly - some are dubbed off centre (and then pressed off centre to make matters worse!), the Al Greene "Don't Hurt Me No More" has its own built in 'cue burn' and Della Humphrey's fantastic "Don't Make The Good Girls Go Bad" is rendered completely unlistenable by a high pitched whine (not Della's voice, before some smartass has a go :D ) that would drive any nearby dogs bonkers when played.

Thus it's preferable from an audio point of view to own the original US releases of Action 4500s - but that hasn't stopped me from acquiring around 35 of the 56 releases in that numbering sequence and I'm sure I'm not to only one on here who can say something like that...

The slightly later, EMI pressed 4600s (including 'Tom Green') are, I believe, all from tape, but I don't have them all so I can't say for certain.

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

Have always found with british collectors that Push-Out Centres are more desirable (providing there still attached) Think it's just down to that Authentic UK Release look, Though as Tony says It can't be used as a guide to a first pressing for some labels.

Social source share

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of whether The Chosen Few ever actually came out? Anyone seen one? This would be THE place to post...

I presume UK 45s with dinkable centres are more attractive because there's every chance that the centre will have been pushed out, making finding one WITH the centre intact even MORE desirable because of it. If it's got a solid centre, you don't have this quandry... !

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert