For All The Notts Soulies Out There

I visited the city yesterday I couldnt resist a visit to my fave childhood place

and when I turned the corner there she was... shes had a facelift and looks more beautiful than ever standing on that corner in her imposing position never noticed she has a frieze of grecian people above the door much like the home ales brewery

So I went and stood on those steps once more and found myself ringing the intercom

I stuttered..... "can I speak to the duty manager please?"

Wait a second .....buzz ..the door opens and a very young lady invites me in

I ask I know this is a strange request but can I have a look round please I havent been inside this builing since 1981

No problem ...we have folks come visit us from all over the country ....including scotland !!

They too tell the same story of packed nights and days in the ballroom and how much they love this building

The interior is quite art deco and the bali hi (revolving floor ) is no more its an underlit disco floor like the saturday night fever one

I will try to post up a before and after pic for you all to see

Sorry If Im a palais bore but its in my soul !!

Mand :ohmy:

post-706-1208863589.jpg

post-706-1208863740_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 59
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

ha ha well i couldnt agree more with gary :lol: only as he is bigger than me lol

Coward!!! :ohmy: LOL

I tell you what Dave we should try an get a Palais reunion nighter/dayer

would love to dance on the floor again ....does my head in to think only the handbagging public get to use the club now :lol:

I loved the "ski lodge" chill room fantastic for gabbing about the good old days and theres even a VIP lounge upstairs which is decoarated like a room upstairs in a cowboys salloon all red flock and heavy curtains ..the manager told me they ve had david Beckham ...bloody hell wish I'd "had" David Beckaham PMSL!!!!! :lol:

Social source share

now im telling gary( Im a snitch ) are you going to thorsby in edwinstowe on friday

All being well and good yeah best get a sitter sorted

Oh and he knows Id climb over him to get to Becks PMSL!!!! (in my bloody dreams) you bloody snitch! :lol:

Did you read about me turning up a week early for Rays do ????? :lol:

Dozy mare that I am!

Social source share

Guest biggray1

yep we had some great nites and mainly all dayers at the Notts Palais,the main room as you walked in was massive and a well sprung dance floor too,remember the Bali Hi room downstairs with its revolving dance floor..ha what memories.

Social source share

yep we had some great nites and mainly all dayers at the Notts Palais,the main room as you walked in was massive and a well sprung dance floor too,remember the Bali Hi room downstairs with its revolving dance floor..ha what memories.

I mainly went to the dayers Gray

It all looks sooo tiny the ballroom I remember it being huge with a massive dancefloor most of its carpetted now :lol:

they 'd search you at the door before you went in the main room

remember chicken in a basket they used to sell ? :lol:

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Certainly do remember the Chicen in a basket,nice little cafe downstairs,you could sit and hear the tunes from both rooms if you sat in the middle,some guys used to put their sales box's on the cafe table's and they was chased off by old Mommar who used to be the caff manager..i have been inside the refurbished palais,they used too host record fare's etc..aint no one on here got any old photo's of the Palais dews.

Social source share

Certainly do remember the Chicen in a basket,nice little cafe downstairs,you could sit and hear the tunes from both rooms if you sat in the middle,some guys used to put their sales box's on the cafe table's and they was chased off by old Mommar who used to be the caff manager..i have been inside the refurbished palais,they used too host record fare's etc..aint no one on here got any old photo's of the Palais dews.

Not that I know of Gray ..Im sure Ive asked Markmtfc and other folks I knew who used to go of they had any pics

Shame really ....I dont like the new ball on top of the building its pretty horrid if you look on the old pic it was much nicer

Mand ( soppy bugger) :lol:

Social source share

First went to the Palais, about 38 years ago :lol: ,great memories of it,Bali-Hi ,nearly fell off the floor a few times :lol: ,great great old ballroom,would be there in a flash if they started a soul do' again :P

Bazza

Social source share

Fond memories of the Palais.From the dance competions to the revolving dancefloor it was all good stuff.Don't know why but "Zola" always reminds me of upstairs.Used to like seeing Colin Curtis downstairs,whistles n all!!.

Went to a Friday allnighter once and went straight to work on the No 61 ,(or was it 84 bus?).Don't think i was much use that day :lol: .

Edited by KevH
Social source share

First went to the Palais, about 38 years ago :lol: ,great memories of it,Bali-Hi ,nearly fell off the floor a few times :P ,great great old ballroom,would be there in a flash if they started a soul do' again :D

Bazza

Will count you and Wendy in for a ticket then mate :lol:

Social source share

Fond memories of the Palais.From the dance competions to the revolving dancefloor it was all good stuff.Don't know why but "Zola" always reminds me of upstairs.Used to like seeing Colin Curtis downstairs,whistles n all!!.

Went to a Friday allnighter once and went straight to work on the No 61 ,(or was it 84 bus?).Don't think i was much use that day :lol: .

Kev who was that tall long curly haired bloke John Garbett and Dean palled about with ??

Social source share

PMSL what???? :lol: I didnt say a word :P

Oh look Dave oink oink a flying pig! :D

the place lost it's magic for me when Rob Smith (about 1978) playe Sam Williams (before grapevine release but when it was a very 'big' sound) and the floor cleared, only me and Big Frank from peterborough danced.

the next record.... James Coit.... packed the floor, I then knew it was time to leave the palais to my memories and i never went again. :lol:

Social source share

the place lost it's magic for me when Rob Smith (about 1978) playe Sam Williams (before grapevine release but when it was a very 'big' sound) and the floor cleared, only me and Big Frank from peterborough danced.

the next record.... James Coit.... packed the floor, I then knew it was time to leave the palais to my memories and i never went again. :lol:

Coops you know I have a limited knowledge of vinyl

can you explain the significance please?

what did it mean to you ?

Mand (vinyl heathen) :lol:

Social source share

Coops you know I have a limited knowledge of vinyl

can you explain the significance please?

what did it mean to you ?

Mand (vinyl heathen) :lol:

James coit / black power V sam williams /love slipped through my fingers

are these the 2 tunes you refer to?

I like both of em just had a listen but as I said Im a vinyl heathen ..I just like what I like

Mand

Social source share

:thumbsup: Ahh Mand,

The memories, Me and Trev took our lass to see MCR at the arena latter part of last year and we had a wander up there and stood outside on the steps, reminising, I wish Id pressed the bell, thanks for sharing this with us took me back again babes. xxx

Dawn have you clicked the link to see the ballroom its beautiful but the floor is only half the size which is quite sad bet you'd have tickets if there was a reunion eh?

Mandxxxx

Social source share

First went to the Palais, about 38 years ago :thumbsup: ,great memories of it,Bali-Hi ,nearly fell off the floor a few times :lol: ,great great old ballroom,would be there in a flash if they started a soul do' again :(

Bazza

051_SL.jpg A up Bazza....aaahhh the Bali HAI....I was there around 74/75 (A bit younger than you I reckon) I recall being there on Monday nights I think (Memory is fading though) There has been some northern do at the Palais I think in the last 7 or 8 years (again memorys going so I could be wrong) but I`m sure Chris, Barry and I went to some soul do there one Saturday night (Time scale could be wrong though but I`m sure its about 7 years ago... ish!)

Social source share

051_SL.jpg A up Bazza....aaahhh the Bali HAI....I was there around 74/75 (A bit younger than you I reckon) I recall being there on Monday nights I think (Memory is fading though) There has been some northern do at the Palais I think in the last 7 or 8 years (again memorys going so I could be wrong) but I`m sure Chris, Barry and I went to some soul do there one Saturday night (Time scale could be wrong though but I`m sure its about 7 years ago... ish!)

Great pic Bridget :thumbsup:

strange mixture of outfits the people are wearing some look 60s some look 80s do you know when the pic was taken?

Mand

Edited by Madmandy
Social source share

Guest gibber

There Used to be soul nights on the bank holidays with the Ritz all-nighters on the same night many travelled up after.. that was about that time .

Hi Mandy

worked on the building site on the other side of the road and had those same thoughts when looking down from the roof opposite ,

andy

Social source share

There Used to be soul nights on the bank holidays with the Ritz all-nighters on the same night many travelled up after.. that was about that time .

Hi Mandy

worked on the building site on the other side of the road and had those same thoughts when looking down from the roof opposite ,

andy

When were you working on the other building Andy ? work is still going on over the road

I passed a couple of chaps who were sat behind the boards yesterday

The whole of the city is looking "clean" all the old buildings seem to have had a facelift and even the dark spooky places in the lace market seem much nicer

Mand :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest gibber

When were you working on the other building Andy ? work is still going on over the road

The whole of the city is looking "clean" all the old buildings seem to have had a facelift and even the dark spooky places in the lace market seem much nicer

Mand :lol:

Social source share

Mand thumbsup.gif

We supply kitchens to the lace market developments and others .

Being on the roof is another story .. whistling.gif

Were you urbexing mate?????? or just nickin the slates laugh.gif

bet the views are great!

thumbup.gif

Social source share

god mand ant you got a supper to cook you been on here all day and they say a womens work never done ha innocent.gifwicked.gif pmsl

actually Ive done 3 loads of washing put it out fetched it back in painted all the coving in my new kitchen

done some fillin etc etc what have you been doin all day ??????lazyarse!!!

btw I never switch this off I might look like Im here but Im not !! ph34r.gif

oh yeah just made Garys snap for tomoro tongue.gif

Edited by Madmandy
Social source share

Just had a look at those pics Mand, .... what they done with the place??? the dance floor used to be massive eeee ruddy progress eh.. laugh.gif , had to have a titter at the Bali hai though the Church of Jazz Funk... laugh.gif Now I think white travolta suits would be better than the old zoots the lads used to wear down there, at the all dayers we used to go in through the doors, a crowd of us from here, then we used to split .... jazz funk girls and boys downstairs us retro girls and boys upstairs.... used to argue all the way home on the bus as to which group had the best day...lol.

If theres a do coming up would not miss it for the world, will see if I can get the old crowd up again, and do it one more time for old times sake ..... when we couldnt afford the cash for a coach we used to catch the train from Lincoln, get into Nottingham run all the way from the station to the palais .... couldnt do it now it would kill me laugh.giflaugh.gif We used to have to hot foot it back to catch the last train too, 9/10 we missed the bugger and would have to hitch it.....

Had me first ever Slush Puppy at the palais...(why I remember that god knows)...lol. Gonna have to go in the loft to see if I can find some old pics of the place and the days and nights we had there. I have got an old tape which I did way back in '81 (I think) of smithys spot, hes playing 7th avenue avaitors, the determinations and bing bong (goes my heart) plus some great other tracks. He was flogging skip mahoneys at £2.50 at his stall at the back of the hall (his words) Will have to have a bash and see if I can record it through the pc its well worth a listen.

Social source share

Guest charnley

well im at work so why you not its wed morning fry me a bacon butty and i will love you for ever lol :lol:

Hi dave, mandys started a great post here remember going to many nighter & alldayer had some great times got me thinking what happened to all local soulies who went. Seen alot of excellent singers , groups here Had some pics in a box somewhere moved house and i cant them will as my daughter if she knows where they are. bye 4 now andy c

Social source share

Hi dave, mandys started a great post here remember going to many nighter & alldayer had some great times got me thinking what happened to all local soulies who went. Seen alot of excellent singers , groups here Had some pics in a box somewhere moved house and i cant them will as my daughter if she knows where they are. bye 4 now andy c

Thanks Andy C

cmon eveyone wheres those old pics then??? Dawn??

didnt any of your crew carry a camera???

I remember carrying one but once I hit that floor it ever saw light of day!!!! LOL

I hardly spoke to anyone either thats why no one remembers me apart from the local group I hung with and the odd few guys from mansfield/bilsthorpe/edwinstowe/clipstone who used to travel on the same bus even then some of them don't remember me

sad really cos there are some great folks who we shared our youth with

Cmon Andy get rootin!!!!! find those pics!

Mand :lol:

Social source share

Hoppy?

could be mate he was tall and was very good mates with johnny, dean and another tall guy with cropped hair dont remember any names Im terrible!!

it was naturally curly hair I remember him tellin us he never permed it ( when we were paying top cash for perms/demi waves) LOL :lol:

Social source share

could be mate he was tall and was very good mates with johnny, dean and another tall guy with cropped hair dont remember any names Im terrible!!

it was naturally curly hair I remember him tellin us he never permed it ( when we were paying top cash for perms/demi waves) LOL :lol:

everybodys' tall around me :P .

Social source share

everybodys' tall around me :( .

hahahaha Same here 5 foot and a fart! LOL

shorty shortstuff shortarse inch high private eye to name but a few

My nickname @ palais was Mrs Backflip can you guess why :D

Edited by Madmandy
Social source share

Guest charnley

Thanks Andy C

cmon eveyone wheres those old pics then??? Dawn??

didnt any of your crew carry a camera???

I remember carrying one but once I hit that floor it ever saw light of day!!!! LOL

I hardly spoke to anyone either thats why no one remembers me apart from the local group I hung with and the odd few guys from mansfield/bilsthorpe/edwinstowe/clipstone who used to travel on the same bus even then some of them don't remember me

sad really cos there are some great folks who we shared our youth with

Cmon Andy get rootin!!!!! find those pics!

Mand :D

Hi mandy, sorry been looking for photos no joy, only found a membership 92 as a mansfield tel number at bottom dont remember going must have been a alldayer. A st ives same year and a 40th birthday party oldies spectacular for rob smith at the medow club notts county ground will keep looking will post if find them good luck with the post and about time nottingham had a alldayer used to get excellent turnouts as the nighters never really made the grade started well then numbers dropped not like other towns / citys nighters around the country. c u soon andy c

Social source share

Hi mandy, sorry been looking for photos no joy, only found a membership 92 as a mansfield tel number at bottom dont remember going must have been a alldayer. A st ives same year and a 40th birthday party oldies spectacular for rob smith at the medow club notts county ground will keep looking will post if find them good luck with the post and about time nottingham had a alldayer used to get excellent turnouts as the nighters never really made the grade started well then numbers dropped not like other towns / citys nighters around the country. c u soon andy c

I have some of me wearin my fred perry circa my palais days I posted em on my facebook Kev H will recognise my hubby on them but he was only 15 at the time

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7002...mp;id=529833782

this is me see if you can access the album thru the link

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6897...mp;id=529833782

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3189...mp;id=529833782

Edited by Madmandy
Social source share

I have some of me wearin my fred perry circa my palais days I posted em on my facebook Kev H will recognise my hubby on them but he was only 15 at the time

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7002...mp;id=529833782

this is me see if you can access the album thru the link

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6897...mp;id=529833782

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3189...mp;id=529833782

Mandy ,at the back (dukeries photo)about 5 from left is Kev....?,used to go to Wigggan and Mecca.Worked in HMV in 4 Seasons for a while.He's still around,but not in a soul capacity.

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert