Cover Ups

I the light of the recent cover up of the mediocre Smoove ( featuring John Turrell - let us not forget that part ) 45 as Frank Popp , it led me to recalling those " halcyon days " of the scene , when the practice of covering up new / emerging tunes , was common practice in order to " protect " the true identity of the title and artist ...........

I know it is a long shot , but can anyone remember what the first one was , or ones , were , and by which DJ ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

• Replies 60
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Malc, i do believe that records(unknowns) were first played as "secret" sounds rather than covered up.(covered lable but no artist name?)

That why many old records have titles scratched out. Weren´t sunds later "covered" to prevent bootlegging?

Steve

My apologies , Steve : I should have stated more clearly , is what I meant was the practice of " disguising " / protecting the identity of a title / artist / label of a particular record , and that the " halcyon days " referred to the 70s and early 80s , when bootlegging was rife , and not to be confused with the " activities " of today ( allegedly ) ........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

My apologies , Steve : I should have stated more clearly , is what I meant was the practice of " disguising " / protecting the identity of a title / artist / label of a particular record , and that the " halcyon days " referred to the 70s and early 80s , when bootlegging was rife , and not to be confused with the " activities " of today ( allegedly ) ........

Malc Burton

on one of levines dvd's one of the Wheel resident dj's clearley stated that he covered up Bobby Paterson what a wonderful night for love, I always preferd the other side.

Social source share

I the light of the recent cover up of the mediocre Smoove ( featuring John Turrell - let us not forget that part ) 45 as Frank Popp , it led me to recalling those " halcyon days " of the scene , when the practice of covering up new / emerging tunes , was common practice in order to " protect " the true identity of the title and artist ...........

I know it is a long shot , but can anyone remember what the first one was , or ones , were , and by which DJ ?

Malc Burton

As far as the practise goes on the Northern scene I don't know but check out the book 'Bass Culture - When Reggae Was King' by Lloyd Bradley Malc, it explains the origins of the selfish, wicked, yet ultimatley understandable deed.

Social source share

As far as the practise goes on the Northern scene I don't know but check out the book 'Bass Culture - When Reggae Was King' by Lloyd Bradley Malc, it explains the origins of the selfish, wicked, yet ultimatley understandable deed.

Just something the Rotund One would have run ( ! ) around The Mecca shouting :thumbup: .........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Just something the Rotund One would have run ( ! ) around The Mecca shouting :thumbup: .........

Malc Burton

Ha ha I can see that mate.

In my view covering the information on records up is definatley a form of onanism.

Now what does that make the coverees?

Social source share

First one I remember was the Adlibs - Nothing worse than being alone.

Dave Godin lent it to John Bollen and Franny O'Brien to get played in the Yorkshire Clubs around 1970.

Julian

It was covered ? I thought it was played as / under its' correct title / artists ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

A few of my favourites from the Mecca:-

"My Heart's Wide Open" - Freddie Jones aka "Crazy Baby" the Coasters

"Black Ship To Harlem" - the Johnny Adams Experience (?) aka "Breakaway Pt 2" - The Steve Karmen Big Band

"Tell Him That You Care" - The Opals aka "How To Make A Sad Man Glad" - The Capreez

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

Dave Godin lent it to John Bollen and Franny O'Brien to get played in the Yorkshire Clubs around 1970.

Julian

I also remember this tune being played at The Wheel about 1970, it was one of my faves took me ages after The Wheel closed to find out who it was!!!

Linda

Social source share

Julian

Yes I remember that as well Julian , Dave even mentioned covering up a few records on the train whilst on his first trip to The Wheel , in his B&S column , Tommy Sears " Get out " [ Chalet ] was another one .Cheers ,Eddie

Social source share

Do dj`s use the cover up because they are not certain of the rarity of the record or is it used to personalise a record for a certain dj, biggrin.gif

I think these days DJ's will 'cover' up records to gain a little exclusivety for longer (to some extent, this has always been the case)..........in recent years, for us mere mortals, its getting harder & harder, there are very few records out there now, comparitively speaking which are a) Totally unknown & cool.gif Good enough to cover up, I think, speaking for myself & Im trying to be honest here, if/when I am lucky enough to have found a disc that is both good enough & obscure enough I would deffo cover it up, that way I get exclusive plays for a while...................I love cover ups, they add a little extra mystique & cover up names can be much more interesting than the original artist name some times..........loved the Stafford c/ups that were nearly as long to say as the record itself :lol: . I wish that DJ's would cover up more records, but a lot are worried they'll look stupid, in case said disc turns out to be better known than originally thought............if you treat it as a bit of fun, then it doesnt matter.

Before we get the people whining about artist recognition, covering a disc up actually creates more attention for said artist once uncovered, attention that they would probably never would have if the disc hadnt been played on the NS scene in the first place :thumbsup:

Lots more cover ups please..............

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

No Malc, definetly covered ( Graham Slater should be able to confirm as Franny used to take it to the Vic Lounge on a Sunday night).

Julian

Thanks for that Julian .......

I can recall that when Dave G took it to The Wheel , it cleared the floor when it was played , but I was not aware that it had been " covered " ........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

"Black Ship To Harlem" - the Johnny Adams Experience (?) aka "Breakaway Pt 2" - The Steve Karmen Big Band

"Tell Him That You Care" - The Opals aka "How To Make A Sad Man Glad" - The Capreez

Ian D :thumbsup:

Frank, me old mate 3 good Mecca c/ups but i think you,ll find the middle one was covered as --"Black ship to Hell"---Happy days

Tony Coleby

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Julian

Wasn't James Bounty on Compass covered also? I seem to recall the Godin Column where he "uncovered" this?? Godin does mention "cutting out white labels" (to cover up records) but during his train journey to the Mecca C.1971.

Here's a couple of the more inventive ones from Levine, C.1973 :D

"Let's Shing-A-Ling At The Go-Go" - Johnny Jackson Experience ("Midnight Brew" - Melvin Carter on TRIP)

"The End Of The World" - The Explosions ("Sidra's Theme" SIDRA)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Ian D :lol:

You were too young to understand :D

Social source share

Yes I remember that as well Julian , Dave even mentioned covering up a few records on the train whilst on his first trip to The Wheel , in his B&S column , Tommy Sears " Get out " [ Chalet ] was another one .Cheers ,Eddie

Hi Eddie

keep posting on here, I have a postcard from DG stating ' Will see you at the GoGo this saturday (12th) for sure!

Right on now,

Dave

(this is postmarked 9th Dec 1970 Dartford Kent).

The rest is history as they say.

Now, where did I put those 444 labels of 'Blackmother Goose I got from John Bollen? ( see rarest UK 45 theme)

Julian

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

I have a number of Uk 45's that were played at the Wheel pre 1970 that have the credits/artists/no. scratched out, so although you knew the label you didn't have a clue who it was back then, and you couldn't afford to order every Atlantic 45 (Example) that was still available on catolgue on the off chance you get the record you were after.

Social source share

Here's a couple of the more inventive ones from Levine, C.1973 :thumbsup:

"Let's Shing-A-Ling At The Go-Go" - Johnny Jackson Experience ("Midnight Brew" - Melvin Carter on TRIP)

"The End Of The World" - The Explosions ("Sidra's Theme" SIDRA)

and a couple more

questions and answers -little lee howell/marc copage

this man of mine-estella dennison/ila vann

personally levine had the best cover up names, estella dennison how camp is that :lol:

Social source share

I do understand the reasoning for cover ups but theres allways one record that allways puzzled me as to why it was covered up LITTLE ANN-AKA ROSE VALINTINE & THE SISTERS THREE, no wonder it was the longest cover up wasn`t it a one off acetate, but why cover it? :lol:
im with you hc,but it was only on acetate/tape so nobody would have had it, anyway still after all these years a brill tune, :thumbsup::lol:ph34r.gif
Social source share

Guest denmac

here`s three of my latest coverups you`ll never find these! (tic) roy porkington- just another fool. Plain and simple- the turnarounds. free`r than i- terry postman. good luck to you as all these are one off acetates any one got a clue what label they were going to be released on.

Social source share

Thanks for that Julian .......

I can recall that when Dave G took it to The Wheel , it cleared the floor when it was played , but I was not aware that it had been " covered " ........

Malc Burton

me favourate being..............thelma laverne - im coming back there someday

its shaaahoooorsseeeerrrr

Social source share

Guest Trevski

My Dad once told me that he covered George Formby's "Limehouse Chinese laundry Blues"(RegalZonophone78rpm acetate)

when he played it at the Groves Working Mens Club, during the famous blackout allniter in 1942, as Wilf Shuttleworth- "Mr Woo, what shall I do?" Surely the earliest cover-up?   :thumbsup:

(Fortunately, Dad had the foresight to film it as proof!)

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

====

tommy sears at the wheel BLIMEY ...this is a seriously good record ..too fast these days but still brilliiant!

Social source share

and a couple more

questions and answers -little lee howell/marc copage

this man of mine-estella dennison/ila vann

personally levine had the best cover up names, estella dennison how camp is that :thumbsup:

Well, sure it's camp but that wasn't the actual name was it?

I seem to recall it being "This Man Of Mine" - Estell Levitt.....

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

I do understand the reasoning for cover ups but theres allways one record that allways puzzled me as to why it was covered up LITTLE ANN-AKA ROSE VALINTINE & THE SISTERS THREE, no wonder it was the longest cover up wasn`t it a one off acetate, but why cover it? :thumbsup:

Not even Richard knew it was Little Ann at the time& he had to call it something. If my memory serves me right it was Gilly who found out who it really was a few years later.

Social source share

I do understand the reasoning for cover ups but theres allways one record that allways puzzled me as to why it was covered up LITTLE ANN-AKA ROSE VALINTINE & THE SISTERS THREE, no wonder it was the longest cover up wasn`t it a one off acetate, but why cover it? :thumbsup:

I thought it was because nobody knew who it was an un labeled acetate, like the Betty Boo?

Social source share

Guest MOLLY

I think these days DJ's will 'cover' up records to gain a little exclusivety for longer (to some extent, this has always been the case)..........in recent years, for us mere mortals, its getting harder & harder, there are very few records out there now, comparitively speaking which are a) Totally unknown & cool.gif Good enough to cover up, I think, speaking for myself & Im trying to be honest here, if/when I am lucky enough to have found a disc that is both good enough & obscure enough I would deffo cover it up, that way I get exclusive plays for a while...................I love cover ups, they add a little extra mystique & cover up names can be much more interesting than the original artist name some times..........loved the Stafford c/ups that were nearly as long to say as the record itself :lol: . I wish that DJ's would cover up more records, but a lot are worried they'll look stupid, in case said disc turns out to be better known than originally thought............if you treat it as a bit of fun, then it doesnt matter.

Before we get the people whining about artist recognition, covering a disc up actually creates more attention for said artist once uncovered, attention that they would probably never would have if the disc hadnt been played on the NS scene in the first place tongue.gif

Lots more cover ups please..............

Russ

Hi Russ,

Spot on,couldn't have put it better myself m8 :lol:

Molly

Social source share

I thought it was because nobody knew who it was an un labeled acetate, like the Betty Boo?

If thats the case then i understand, but didn`t he also cover EDDIE HOLMAN-WHERE I`M NOT WANTED? and then uncover it, just seems a bit strange to cover up tunes that are deffo one offs, wasn`t eddie holman taken from tapes? can understand wanting to cover something to personalize the record to yourself, and to hide its identity so other copies are not unearthed, but as i say things as eddie holman, that is a deffo one off bit strange don`t you think? unsure.gif

Social source share

Not even Richard knew it was Little Ann at the time& he had to call it something. If my memory serves me right it was Gilly who found out who it really was a few years later.

Gilly and Tats. I'll check when i get chance to see what the acetate Gilly had says.

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

If thats the case then i understand, but didn`t he also cover EDDIE HOLMAN-WHERE I`M NOT WANTED? and then uncover it, just seems a bit strange to cover up tunes that are deffo one offs, wasn`t eddie holman taken from tapes? can understand wanting to cover something to personalize the record to yourself, and to hide its identity so other copies are not unearthed, but as i say things as eddie holman, that is a deffo one off bit strange don`t you think? unsure.gif

Yep , Tommy Hunts Pretty Part Of You was covered as Chuck Jackson

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

And then on the same subject, was JIMMY BURNS ever covered i can`t remember it being covered i maybe wrong please put me right if i am biggrin.gif

Dont think so , the c.o.d's was when there was no real point , was Cheatin Kind ever C/Ued ?

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Thats another don gardner, i can`t remember it being covered, just looked at anoraks corner, cover ups and its not on there, any more? biggrin.gif

Vondells , Professionels ?

Social source share

Robby Lawson , Magnetics stuff ,Eric Mercury ,Lester tipton ,Timmy Williams ?

Sorta questions the whole cover up thing dosn`t it or was it they new how rare these records where, therefore not needing to cover them up. can`t see it myself don`t think the knowledge was as good due to internet and things, it had to be a suck it and see process, but then again things like larry clinton was, very strange biggrin.gif

Social source share

Sorta questions the whole cover up thing dosn`t it or was it they new how rare these records where, therefore not needing to cover them up. can`t see it myself don`t think the knowledge was as good due to internet and things, it had to be a suck it and see process, but then again things like larry clinton was, very strange biggrin.gif

One cover up I've alwayd found a bit strange is Johnny Guitar Watson's - Ain't Gonna Move - Jowat. Not sure if it's exactly the same take but it's on the Williams & Watson LP which loads of people must have had.

Social source share

One cover up I've alwayd found a bit strange is Johnny Guitar Watson's - Ain't Gonna Move - Jowat. Not sure if it's exactly the same take but it's on the Williams & Watson LP which loads of people must have had.

yeh understand what you mean, speaking of williams & watson, old story this one when the LAMONT CRANSTON BAND was covered as WILLIAMS & WATSON, one of my mates from york told me who it was, he wasn`t a record collector, so i said to him how do you know that? he said it was on the radio the other night! evidently tommy vance`s rock show had been doing an american band special and it was on there, while they were playing it over here covered up :D

Social source share

yeh understand what you mean, speaking of williams & watson, old story this one when the LAMONT CRANSTON BAND was covered as WILLIAMS & WATSON, one of my mates from york told me who it was, he wasn`t a record collector, so i said to him how do you know that? he said it was on the radio the other night! evidently tommy vance`s rock show had been doing an american band special and it was on there, while they were playing it over here covered up biggrin.gif

They played Helen Shapiro on Popquiz or some similar programme once, think it was after it had been uncovered though :lol:

Social source share

• 3 months later...

No, Richard did know the artist. He told me it was Little Ann when he DJ'd at an allnighter at Burnwood Baths, trouble was I was not completly together and had forgotten within 10mins :sweatingbullets: , when I asked him who was it, he smiled and said you had your chance. Also Ian Clark was given the artist name from John Anderson, but he got the story wrong and thought it was Little Annie Mae (AKA Tina Turner). When Gilly found the second studio disc the secret was out.

Gilly told me that the one he has is a slightly different take to the one Richard has.

Social source share

Well, sure it's camp but that wasn't the actual name was it?

I seem to recall it being "This Man Of Mine" - Estell Levitt.....

Ian D :sweatingbullets:

It was Estella Dennison, another Mecca classic cover up was Mickie Champion-Jodi Williams Without You

also Jimmy Norman covered as Alam Blackwell, Devonns covered as Levers, Freddie Williams as Ron Handie

add loads more i can,t think of now off top of my head.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert