Patrick Henry & The Liberation Band

Mark R

Heard this "CD only" cut played recently, and was told....."this is a 12"....................."naaah", says I "this is CD only from the 90's, they wouldn't of done 12's on this..........." etc.

Anyway, yes, you guessed it..............upon inspection, said item looks as dodgy as f&$K to me.............seems that somebody has obviously took it on themselves to knock up some of these, no doubt to "do us all a favour"!!

Anyway, I could go on and on on this, but I try not to do long posts, but it does raise a couple of obvious questions/points:

1) From what I read on here, if I took a few pressings and tried to do a Northern set, I'd get lynched............someone would storm up, remove my record and throw it across the floor.................BUT, I bet if one of the big 70's boys plays this cut from this 12", no-one will give a flying f^&k that it's not being played from the "original" CD!! And before anyone says it, it's not like someone having a carver done for their purposes............as I understand it, this appears to be a quantity situation, these being sold, and so clearly bootlegs??

2)Why a 12" anyway..........surely more interest in a 7" if you are gonna do it??

I ALWAYS defend this scene, which has given me so much pleasure and friends over the years, but sometimes the twisted nature of some aspects of it all really stretches that loyalty!! What's the bloody logic in all this!

Cheers,

Mark R

Edited by Mark R
Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Heard this "CD only" cut played recently, and was told....."this is a 12"....................."naaah", says I "this is CD only from the 90's, they wouldn't of done 12's on this..........." etc.

Anyway, yes, you guessed it..............upon inspection, said item looks as dodgy as f&$K to me.............seems that somebody has obviously took it on themselves to knock up some of these, no doubt to "do us all a favour"!!

Anyway, I could go on and on on this, but I try not to do long posts, but it does raise a couple of obvious questions/points:

1) From what I read on here, if I took a few pressings and tried to do a Northern set, I'd get lynched............someone would storm up, remove my record and throw it across the floor.................BUT, I bet if one of the big 70's boys plays this cut from this 12", no-one will give a flying f^&k that it's not being played from the "original" CD!! And before anyone says it, it's not like someone having a carver done for their purposes............as I understand it, this appears to be a quantity situation, these being sold, and so clearly bootlegs??

2)Why a 12" anyway..........surely more interest in a 7" if you are gonna do it??

I ALWAYS defend this scene, which has given me so much pleasure and friends over the years, but sometimes the twisted nature of some aspects of it all really stretches that loyalty!! What's the bloody logic in all this!

Cheers,

Mark R

Well said Mark, agree 100% with you on this one.

best fraser

fdsoul6345789

Social source share

Well said Mark, agree 100% with you on this one.

best fraser

fdsoul6345789

totally agree with mark you could say same about corey glover .tommy tate and a few more i saw a well known dj playing corey g on a white label 45 and told him he was a f&£king hipocryte after always banging on about owning original only blah f&%king blah

Social source share

totally agree with mark you could say same about corey glover .tommy tate and a few more i saw a well known dj playing corey g on a white label 45 and told him he was a f&£king hipocryte after always banging on about owning original only blah f&%king blah

:unsure::P:D:thumbup:

Social source share

Cheers,

Mark R

Mark,

As the perpertrator of these 10 only 12" copies of this marvelous tune, I understand your concerns, however i feel i must answer your points.

1.It wasnt done for any financial gain they cost £27 inc postage and thats what they were sold for.You are right a 7" would have been more sales friendly, but that was never the object of the exercise.

2.I believe that this record can go massive given exposure and as such deserves to be heard in the big rooms, as well as at modern events.In this way maybe some of the "traditionists" may be encouraged to venture to the more progressive venues.So yes I was trying to do us a favour.

As you are probbably aware at a lot of across the board nights there is no cd mixer in place (you know about this northern thing about vynil only!!! nutty i know, but it is still unfortuanatley a fact) Thus to get the record exposure at these events, and after being cajolled by a few friends I decided to cut 10 copies.Yes technically they are bootlegs!!! my greatest wish however would be that there is sufficient intrest once the record gets known,for someone (not me) to licence this from Lanor records and give it an official release, thus ensuring Patrick and the crew get some deserved reward for their splended efforts.

3.Some of the "big northern jocks" have shown an interest in having this item but all ten copies are now gone and I certainley dont intend (nor ever intended) to do any more.I can furnish you with a list of ten people who have had them,sorry nine, as i have one myself.

It was never my intention to upset anyone by doing these,exactly the opposite.I am as passionate about soul dance music as anyone else, I love to share my music, if this wasnt the case then I would have just done the one copy and covered it up, because most on the Northern scene dont know the tune.

Also, as most people who know me will testify, I am very "ANTI BOOTLEGS" I gave up my involvment with a long running soul venue in Staffordshire because of this subject.

I hope that this goes some way to an explanation and that you would accept it was concieved and born from my desire to get this great tune heard by as many as possible.

Best Regards

John Fisher

Social source share

Mark,

As the perpertrator of these 10 only 12" copies of this marvelous tune, I understand your concerns, however i feel i must answer your points.

1.It wasnt done for any financial gain they cost £27 inc postage and thats what they were sold for.You are right a 7" would have been more sales friendly, but that was never the object of the exercise.

2.I believe that this record can go massive given exposure and as such deserves to be heard in the big rooms, as well as at modern events.In this way maybe some of the "traditionists" may be encouraged to venture to the more progressive venues.So yes I was trying to do us a favour.

As you are probbably aware at a lot of across the board nights there is no cd mixer in place (you know about this northern thing about vynil only!!! nutty i know, but it is still unfortuanatley a fact) Thus to get the record exposure at these events, and after being cajolled by a few friends I decided to cut 10 copies.Yes technically they are bootlegs!!! my greatest wish however would be that there is sufficient intrest once the record gets known,for someone (not me) to licence this from Lanor records and give it an official release, thus ensuring Patrick and the crew get some deserved reward for their splended efforts.

3.Some of the "big northern jocks" have shown an interest in having this item but all ten copies are now gone and I certainley dont intend (nor ever intended) to do any more.I can furnish you with a list of ten people who have had them,sorry nine, as i have one myself.

It was never my intention to upset anyone by doing these,exactly the opposite.I am as passionate about soul dance music as anyone else, I love to share my music, if this wasnt the case then I would have just done the one copy and covered it up, because most on the Northern scene dont know the tune.

Also, as most people who know me will testify, I am very "ANTI BOOTLEGS" I gave up my involvment with a long running soul venue in Staffordshire because of this subject.

I hope that this goes some way to an explanation and that you would accept it was concieved and born from my desire to get this great tune heard by as many as possible.

Best Regards

John Fisher

why dont you bring your own cd player stanton do a light one £99 and plug it in!

huh £27 The Cd only costs £18 !

did you ask permission to release it?

ph34r.gif

Social source share

why dont you bring your own cd player stanton do a light one £99 and plug it in!

huh £27 The Cd only costs £18 !

did you ask permission to release it?

ph34r.gif

I know how much the CD is I bought it (incidently it wasnt £18)

and the answer to the next question is,no.

regards

John Fisher

Social source share

Mark,

Best Regards

John Fisher

Anyone after the Cd,Steve Dolan had copys of this Cd try his website,also try Fish asd he had some as well.

and it`s a bit late for any Dj`s to cover this up now :laugh:

Dave f............

Social source share

Is it not appropriate to play a CD at a Soul night - as TOAD suggested - especially when it's the original issue?

:(

Sean

Played a CD at Lifeline last night :no::lol::(

Never had time for rule books :(

Mary Gresham............gotta be heard

Why would you feel it necessary to press 12's of a CD only track - I don't get it :D

Social source share

Go to this site and hear it there along with some other great tunes :rolleyes:

www.stevessoulsounds

Dave f.................

Cheers Dave..........but I've just looked back across the thread and it seems no-one has actually mentioned which track it is off the album.........I'm assuming Do you Love Me or I can Make it Better??

Ta

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert