The Ten Commandments Of Northern Soul

Let's have a little fun with this one. Many of us got into the scene 30 odd years ago and we adhered to an un-written code of conduct that applied and was rarely spoken about. These "rules" or "commandments" are what bind us together inexplicably.

The scene is "fluid" it ebbs and flows and like the tides and no one can control it (although there have been many King Canute's who have tried over the years !).

What would be your idea of "The ten Commandments of Northern Soul"? Let's each add one or two and we'll get them listed at the end of the thread

For what it's worth here's my starter tongue.gif

"Thou shall not play Bootleg records when DJing"

Rob

Edited by Karen and Rob Wigley
Social source share

• Replies 145
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

3. you WILL wear matching socks, belts and undergarments

4. if you happen to smile at a stranger, he will think you are offering a sexual encounter

Social source share

6. Excess talcum power is required even on a polished dancefloor. Take great care to sprinkle it at every opportunity until you have ruined the shoes of everybody around you.

Edited by reg
Social source share

Guest sausalito

7 - Thou wilst always be a divvy even when you set up Northern Soul Disco and you have a box of bootlegs and and think your the dogs knackers :laugh:

Social source share

Alway's ask the DJ for Butch's latest cover up or some other impossibly rare disc, this will show them how incredibly knowledegeable you are.

Alway's ask the DJ to play 'Skiing in the Snow' no matter who they are or what venue you are at......this proves you are not a snob or member of the Soul Police.

Never forget that to be let within 300 yards of the Technics, you must have been going to Allnighters for at leat 15 years without a break........other wise you could not possibly have the records or knowledge to string a set together.

Any one under the age of 45 is a soulless nob & could never understand the etiquette of the NS scene.

Any record released after 2359 1969 IS NOT, COULD NOT & WILL NEVER BE PROPPA NS.

laugh.gif:lol::lol::lol::lol: .

Russ

Social source share

:lol:

Apart from when you accidently pack the wrong copy in a hurry and don't realise until you have put it on the deck and the stylus is down cos you are rushing like an idoit and not paying attention :lol: .who me innocent.gif

QoFxx

Social source share

10- if ANYONE you DON'T know ask's "you wanna any gear?" look them up and down turn your head round true Exorcist stylee ie 360 degrees, look them up and down again and suggest.."I'm more than happy with my TK MAX attire"

laugh.gif:lol: Purly Matalan miself :lol:

QoFxx

Social source share

10- if ANYONE you DON'T know ask's "you wanna any gear?" look them up and down turn your head round true Exorcist stylee ie 360 degrees, look them up and down again and suggest.."I'm more than happy with my TK MAX attire"

This is even funnier I'm crying.............

Social source share

If any man doth mention a rare record, thou shalt remind him that you bought 6 copies in 1978 for 5 quid a piece at Wigan! tongue.gif

Why is that?

Social source share

Let's have a little fun with this one. Many of us got into the scene 30 odd years ago and we adhered to an un-written code of conduct that applied and was rarely spoken about. These "rules" or "commandments" are what bind us together inexplicably.

The scene is "fluid" it ebbs and flows and like the tides and no one can control it (although there have been many King Canute's who have tried over the years !).

What would be your idea of "The ten Commandments of Northern Soul"? Let's each add one or two and we'll get them listed at the end of the thread

For what it's worth here's my starter :wicked:

Rob

"Never dance on the dancefloor with an alcoholic drink in your hand, thats only for commercial music nightclubbers."

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Thou shall call all the DJs by their first or nick name. Even if you've never spoken to them in your life.

On this topic. I was talking to Polly at the 100 (Must call the 100 club - 100) about Yate. He looked at me and said, this is the only scene in the world where people pretend to be ten years older than they really are. LOL. I then told him about having to drive back to Dursley one night, when I was 23, and get my passport, because the door staff didnt believe I was 18.

Social source share

If you are at a really good allnighter, always allow time for your brain to keep up with the speed of your sentences!!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Alway's ask the DJ for Butch's latest cover up or some other impossibly rare disc, this will show them how incredibly knowledegeable you are.

Alway's ask the DJ to play 'Skiing in the Snow' no matter who they are or what venue you are at......this proves you are not a snob or member of the Soul Police.

Never forget that to be let within 300 yards of the Technics, you must have been going to Allnighters for at leat 15 years without a break........other wise you could not possibly have the records or knowledge to string a set together.

Any one under the age of 45 is a soulless nob & could never understand the etiquette of the NS scene.

Any record released after 2359 1969 IS NOT, COULD NOT & WILL NEVER BE PROPPA NS.

:wicked::lol::P:g::no: .

Russ

love it :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bazza

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

Thou shalt not dance up close & personal with a member of the opposite sex, that's for the twats that go to disco's & are devoid of any understanding of NS!

KTF

Baz

Social source share

If you are at a really good allnighter, always allow time for your brain to keep up with the speed of your sentences!!

love this one

Thou shalt not get the white powder mixed up, thus putting talc in your gob and w*** on the froor. amen

Edited by Soulgrit
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

do not give £200 to a stranger for some g**r,when he say's just popping out to the car to get it ...be back in a minute :wicked:

Social source share

Guest kev such

Thou shalt not turn up to a venue with a 25 track compilation CD from Tesco's, having marked in illuminus marker the ones you want the DJ to play for you. Or a compilation LP.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Upon the playance of a 'new discovery' thou shalt stroke thy chin and and utter "Hmmm"

Thou shalt not laugh openly at the width of a fellows trousers, but sn***** politely up ones sleeve.

Thou shalt smite, with great and righteous ferocity, anyone who starts a sentence with "When I went to Wigan..."

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

thou shall never bubble members of the brethren to the feds........even if u r a fed yourself... DODGY OLD BILL SOURCERS>>THANKS IN ADVANCE AND FOR PREVIOUS INDULGANCES OF THE BRETHREN :lol:

yes it was me, and i dont care , trevski and willi will say i was with them so i must be.................????????? :wicked:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

THOU SHALT NOD FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE ODD LAUGH THROWN IN WHEN YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FU CK THE PERSON IS SAYING TO YOU

Social source share

Guest Trevski

yes it was me, and i dont care , trevski and willi will say i was with them so i must be.................????????? :wicked:

What's it worth......... :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert