All Nighters And Branding

Barry

I read this forum, and others, and see the good people (of which there are many these days) who put there money where their mouth is and start their own event.

I also see the many ways that these events are branded nowadays (obviously things have moved on from my epiphany).

Nights seem to be branded these days in a much cooler manner (Flyers and their images, message board blogs, sound systems and venues are better than BITD etc.) than in my day.

Does this extra 'gloss', if you will, actually work though?

I ask, you that are regular followers these days that is, as I am not.

I've been to nighters recently and picked up some God-Awful 70's style photo-copied, poorly printed, badly grammatised flyers (not knocking 'em - they may be belting nights).

I have also picked up some very flash glossy, on the money flyers (not bigging 'em up or knocking 'em, as they may be belting nights too).

I think I'm asking... :thumbsup: ...does 'clever/urban marketing help these days?- or does quality still shine through? (Even without my poor and shallow view).

Edited by Barry
Social source share

• Replies 59
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I read this forum, and others, and see the good people (of which there are many these days) who put there money where their mouth is and start their own event.

I also see the many ways that these events are branded nowadays (obviously things have moved on from my epiphany).

Nights seem to be branded these days in a much cooler manner (Flyers and their images, message board blogs, sound systems and venues are better than BITD etc.) than in my day.

I've been to nighters recently and picked up some God-Awful 70's style photo-copied, poorly printed, badly grammatised flyers (not knocking 'em - they may be belting nights).

I have also picked up some very flash glossy, on the money flyers (not bigging 'em up or knocking 'em, as they may be belting nights too).

I think I'm asking... :D ...does 'clever/urban marketing help these days?- or does quality still shine through? (Even without my poor and shallow view).

=================

Flyers good or bad wouldn't make much of a difference to me. Certainly wouldn't be attempting to judge/imagine what a night might be like based on the grammar in the flyer. If it's a venue I haven't been to before would firstly check the DJ line up, then see if any mates had been to see what they made of things. Would probably also check the feedback on 'Source' to get a general feeling. I'd guess computer technology has improved hence the 'branding' of which you speak, being of a better standard, but word of mouth is still king for me. :unsure:

Winnie :-)

Social source share

=================

Flyers good or bad wouldn't make much of a difference to me. Certainly wouldn't be attempting to judge/imagine what a night might be like based on the grammar in the flyer. If it's a venue I haven't been to before would firstly check the DJ line up, then see if any mates had been to see what they made of things. Would probably also check the feedback on 'Source' to get a general feeling. I'd guess computer technology has improved hence the 'branding' of which you speak, being of a better standard, but word of mouth is still king for me. :unsure:

Winnie :-)

your'e right Winnie,word of mouth is still very important.With technology more accessible,flyers have got more sophisticated.But there's always an issue with cost,re:dodgy flyers.

I love to see flyers at venues,plenty of expression and passion put into most.

As long as the important stuff is on the flyer,not a problem.

The big question is "do they work?".At the end of the day people go where their music is,regardless of how sophisticated the flyer.

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

your'e right Winnie,word of mouth is still very important.With technology more accessible,flyers have got more sophisticated.But there's always an issue with cost,re:dodgy flyers.

I love to see flyers at venues,plenty of expression and passion put into most.

As long as the important stuff is on the flyer,not a problem.

The big question is "do they work?".At the end of the day people go where their music is,regardless of how sophisticated the flyer.

I agree but people will judge books by their covers regardless. If you're not on here & you don't go to many places you may use flyers as a way of finding out whats on & i must admit i'm normally drawn to the bright, shiny ones! :unsure:

Social source share

I agree but people will judge books by their covers regardless. If you're not on here & you don't go to many places you may use flyers as a way of finding out whats on & i must admit i'm normally drawn to the bright, shiny ones! :unsure:

============

I think you're probably right, but possibly only for the initial period? Once you've been to a venue a couple of times, no matter what it promises in subsequent flyers, if it hasn't been good in your own opinion, you may not go back?

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

============

I think you're probably right, but possibly only for the initial period? Once you've been to a venue a couple of times, no matter what it promises in subsequent flyers, if it hasn't been good in your own opinion, you may not go back?

Yeah of course. Once you've been to a venue you form an opinion but i think those flyers help get you there & i like collecting them aswell. I haven't figured out what i'm going to do with billions of flyers but it keeps me busy! :unsure:

I'm not sure about whether i'd go back or not to a venue that i didn't have a good time at. Theres lots of factors that might effect it such as the DJ line up, the friends you were going with etc. :D

Social source share

I agree but people will judge books by their covers regardless. If you're not on here & you don't go to many places you may use flyers as a way of finding out whats on & i must admit i'm normally drawn to the bright, shiny ones! :D

AAAHH!,a lady drawn to bright shiny things.Unheard of :D .

Keep seeing people around who are not on here tho'. :unsure:

Social source share

The Soul Rev ones are very well crafted. I work with Photoshop professionally and you can see the level of quality and skill that has gone into the design of them. Not a bad thing at all in my book. Although I have also visited the designer's site and they are established professionals. Also the latest 100 Club flyers have been fantastic as well, and the Spanish scene often seem to knock up great designs, S.O.U.L. being one of them. I'm all for good design being associated with great music.

As has been said though, ultimately the night itself is what really counts.

Edited by mulf
Social source share

i love the Valley Soul Commandos flyers - always clever - especially the one you could fold into a soul bus.

have been to the Cardiff niter on strength of flyer and it was top nite too!

Social source share

I think I'm asking... :D ...does 'clever/urban marketing help these days?- or does quality still shine through? (Even without my poor and shallow view).

No, doesn't make a jot of difference - IF you're an established venue. Word of mouth is much more valuable. IF you're starting out, I think the quality of the flyer does make a bit of difference. If it looks well organised with effort put into the flyer I suggest more people will give it a go. All about creating an impression.

What do I know.. my flyers still aren't ready for tonight! LOL. :unsure:

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

We have only ever put out bog standard flyers and not that many of em at that and there arent many venues as busy as us,all the gimmicks bullshit fancy flyers chit chat on forums means nothin if the music isnt right imho .

Social source share

We have only ever put out bog standard flyers and not that many of em at that and there arent many venues as busy as us,all the gimmicks bullshit fancy flyers chit chat on forums means nothin if the music isnt right imho .

I was at an all dayer the other week and was chatting to some welsh folk saying I was thinking of going to a nighter I'd seen on a flyer(I wont say where) and when they said they were told in no uncertain terms when they got there they weren't welcome because they were welsh it put me off full stop. Flyers are good but word of mouth rules i think

Social source share

Guest shaunmarie

totally agree with the above you can wrap shite in silk but it dont make it good !!! wicked.gif

get the choons right on original vynil weather it be 60s or modern and your on the right path my son

b good shaun

Social source share

Dont think they make ANY difference. I look at the dj line up. Thats the only important info for me.

Social source share

I totally go by word of mouth, for instance I know rugbysoulgirl goes to the venue I love the most so I value her opinion and I'd probably go to a venue she says is good. I'd never be swayed by a flyer no matter how glossy or clever, cant see many nighter goers caring a fig about the appearance of a flyer as long as it has the relevant times, dates, locations and who's spinning.

There is soooooooooooooooooo much naff stuff out there so you gotta go by word of mouth unless you have too much time and money to waste.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

spot on sir, the best nighters by a country mile as far as I can tell have little or none of this type of promotion. I would go as far as saying that the more gloss put into the promotion actually puts me off,it's as if the promoters are trying a little to hard.You know the hype, super venue, lovely swishy dance floor, ect,ect.....it's the people behind the decks and attending that counts. burnley ,middleton,lifeline,100 club to name a few are top places and you wouldn't say these are the plushest or the most hyped

all the best tezza

Social source share

The wife loves em! our hallway & all the way up the stairs instead of wallpapering she`s done the walls in flyers, my opinion is of course promotion is the key, and sites like this are a fantastic tool, also sticking by what you believe in :D

Lets have a photo Harry

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

only a personal opinion of course but i think advertising is vital especially if it's not totally a soul crowd you're aiming at ...they should be professionally printed of course and well designed ..BUT... they shouldn't promise something they can't deliver

the days of word of mouth (for most of us) is over and so are the days of photocopied or home printed ones

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

i love flyers and i allways come home with my pockets full of them,

flyers, web site, signs etc allways work well for us

Social source share

Depends on the crowd you're after too.. folks like prestatyn guys or goldsoul always have very nice, glossy flyers and in goldsoul's case, have been filling venues across the country for years - same people come back from such gigs, moan and complain but are there time after time... I wonder if the glossy flyers have an impact there?.. maybe it depends on the crowd you want?...

g.gif

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

spot on sir, the best nighters by a country mile as far as I can tell have little or none of this type of promotion. I would go as far as saying that the more gloss put into the promotion actually puts me off,it's as if the promoters are trying a little to hard.You know the hype, super venue, lovely swishy dance floor, ect,ect.....it's the people behind the decks and attending that counts. burnley ,middleton,lifeline,100 club to name a few are top places and you wouldn't say these are the plushest or the most hyped

all the best tezza

I agree 100%

Glossy flyers put me off tbh.

I'm a bit odd tho i must admit n seem to be a dying breed.

Id question why they were trying so hard n who they were trying to attract!

All i want from a flyer is DJ's, times n address

I dont think id go to an event based just on the flyer

Like simon has said if someone i respected n who i knew had the same taste as me bigged up an event, Toby for example,

that would make me much more likely to go there 'blind' so to speak than any glossy flyer.

Normally I'd give an event a couple of go's before dismissing it although i do have a list of "only if there is nothing else on" do's but as there is so much to chose from it amounts to the same thing as "never again"!!!

Glossy flyers make me think of comercial do's all hype n no substance with a whiff of desperation.

Just me prob

Helen

XXXXX

Social source share

Dont think they make ANY difference. I look at the dj line up. Thats the only important info for me.

I agree Paul, some of them are very well done and great sitting down in the toilet reading material (I mean that in a good way) , but I have to go with the dj line up and also word of mouth. Your friend's know what you like and recommend that venue. I love trying out new venue's and the flier might be superb/basic, but I alway's look at what kind of do is advertised and who the dj's are before I decide to go. It has also gotta do 'what it say's on the tin'.

Willie

Edited by Soulgrit
Social source share

only a personal opinion of course but i think advertising is vital especially if it's not totally a soul crowd you're aiming at ...they should be professionally printed of course and well designed ..BUT... they shouldn't promise something they can't deliver

the days of word of mouth (for most of us) is over and so are the days of photocopied or home printed ones

I agree, I dislike the term 'Across the Board' printed on flyers, especially when the music policy isn't....

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

just because a soul night/allnighter has glossy flyers it doesn't automaticly mean that the doo is shite or the dj's are sub standard or the promoters are desperate, i run a soul night in a village/small town in rural south wales and we have a excellent venue, good sound system(allthough the bass was a bit low at the last one) we allways try to book top class dj's and our flyers are as glossy as i can make them :lol:

Social source share

I agree 100%

Glossy flyers put me off tbh.

I'm a bit odd tho i must admit n seem to be a dying breed.

Id question why they were trying so hard n who they were trying to attract!

All i want from a flyer is DJ's, times n address

I dont think id go to an event based just on the flyer

Like simon has said if someone i respected n who i knew had the same taste as me bigged up an event, Toby for example,

that would make me much more likely to go there 'blind' so to speak than any glossy flyer.

Normally I'd give an event a couple of go's before dismissing it although i do have a list of "only if there is nothing else on" do's but as there is so much to chose from it amounts to the same thing as "never again"!!!

Glossy flyers make me think of comercial do's all hype n no substance with a whiff of desperation.

Just me prob

Helen

XXXXX

So glad you said that about glossy flyers :lol: cos ours are just bog standard :lol:

JB xxxKTFxxx

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

what about the venue that the promoter advertises in the local paper as well.......makes me wonder who they really want in the place or they just want to fill it up with anyone for the money :lol:

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

what about the venue that the promoter advertises in the local paper as well.......makes me wonder who they really want in the place or they just want to fill it up with anyone for the money :lol:

whats wrong with that ? i advertise in local papers, i had a phone call from a guy a few years ago as a result of a local paper ad who used to be quite active on the soul scene many years back and had lost touch through the usual reasons kids work etc, he came to one of our nights, got the bug again and now he's every where again including Bidds, Middleton, New Century he has even been to Burnley, a result in my eyes :lol: we get a few like that,

i even put up fly posters :lol: which always work well for us, i'm even considering a ad van/trailer

god forbid any one who covers their costs or even makes a little money :lol:

Edited by andrew bin
Social source share

Interesting to hear that some people are put off by 'glossy' flyers.

I asked mainly because, in todays world it can't be that difficult for someone within your group to brand your event in what I would deem, as a professional manner.

Surely if it looks like you have put some effort into the bottom level of the promotion, the bottom level generally is your flyer, then it must tell people that you are taking it seriously.

Obviously the jock line up is what matters, but how can someone putting a little effort into their branding put people off?

Or is it the norm that certain, smaller, promotions have to put a little more work into the bottom end (a bad thing?) as they don't have the connections to have the big draw jocks play at their event?

And should that put you off anyway?

That kind of talk seems to go against the ethic of a lot of the 'well done for starting your own night' topics I read on here.

Views?

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Love to collect them..But have to say....they can be as slick as you like...but if the DJ line up aint my thing...I ain't going.

This is where they end up !!!!

post-1629-1209101379_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest Chris Waterman

Surely if it looks like you have put some effort into the bottom level of the promotion, the bottom level generally is your flyer, then it must tell people that you are taking it seriously.

IMO that hits the nail firmly on the head

Social source share

IMO that hits the nail firmly on the head

I have always avocated when I have needed to promote a venue , that you need to have a well constructed flyer , carrying an eye - catching design and respective information , in order to get the " message " across to the prospective punter for your venue .........

It can be debated that it is " What is inside the box of chocolates that counts , not the box " , but attractive packaging goes a long way to selling the product .........

It is the same with venues .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

You can wrap it up how you like malc if it aint good people wont go,flyers gimmicks reinvention are all short lived,good venues spinning good tunes will always be well attended imho.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

whats wrong with that ? i advertise in local papers, i had a phone call from a guy a few years ago as a result of a local paper ad who used to be quite active on the soul scene many years back and had lost touch through the usual reasons kids work etc, he came to one of our nights, got the bug again and now he's every where again including Bidds, Middleton, New Century he has even been to Burnley, a result in my eyes yes.gif we get a few like that,

i even put up fly posters :thumbsup: which always work well for us, i'm even considering a ad van/trailer

god forbid any one who covers their costs or even makes a little money :lol:

no probs with promoters making money........just don't like the wanna-be ones who are happy to get any old handbaggers,after the pub piss eads and who ever else JUST TO MAKE MONEY hope that answers it.

Social source share

You can wrap it up how you like malc if it aint good people wont go,flyers gimmicks reinvention are all short lived,good venues spinning good tunes will always be well attended imho.

'Wrapping it up' is a poor view of peoples efforts, people who try their utmost to get something off the ground (from nowt, no mean feat), a something that they so obviously believe in Andy.

Have you attempted to start a night on the back of your belief in this (or whatever for that fact) music?

I look at fledgling nights, like Longys Cully nights, and I see the playlists (much of which I don't know) and it lights my fire.

F*cking great - just what being into Soul is all about - 'learning'.

But what I take from your effort is that you seem only willing to give your time and money over to a night (due to the line up) that will obviously deliver on the numbers (fair do's in the majority of peoples mindset, the big names deliver scarce, quality tunes that will no doubt, due to the exposure by said 'big name jock' will go on to be a stalwart Nighter record).

We all like a busy night after all - guaranteed if the Big Guns are on ay?

Not a bad thing at all - big line ups = big numbers after all.

On experience though, you will probably expand your 'real' knowledge (if it is the music that you are in reality chasing) by attending the home grown fledgling nights that push the boundaries, by sticking their necks on the line and chance their arm.

Again, I'm playing Devils Advocate, as I too spent my youth attending the bigger venues of the time - but surely how the the scene is today (years on), your age, and your mindset must have changed by now?

Edited by Barry
Social source share

I totally agree : if a / the venue has a good - and varied - musical policy , it will always get support .......

What I meant in my reply posting by / of " respective information " on a flyer - I meant that besides it being attractive to the eye of the prospective punter - that it gave the listing of what the people can expect to hear in terms of music played ........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I totally agree : if a / the venue has a good - and varied - musical policy , it will always get support .......

That is what I meant in my reply posting by " respective information " on a flyer , besides being attractive .........

Malc Burton

Isn't that very obvious though Malc?

If you see a good flyer, or a different musical policy as a nowt but a 'gimmick' - as our lad obviously does - how does the scene grow?

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

This is going to be one of those age old & recurring problems for promoters in what works/what doesn't, I seriously believe that in general word of mouth is the greatest advertising, I've tried the fancy flyers & it's a pain in the arse, I know there are some very creative people out there that come up with very good artwork but i've been there, done that, personally I'm 'arted out'.....what I do now is have a bog standard design & change the colour, date, line-up & so on...my only problem now will be running out of colours (also our regular venue is being refurbished)......in the UK you have the problem of a lot of very good established soul venues & many new ones which provide even more competiton, here we have the problem of trying to get the word out, 95% of all states core regulars are ex-pats & trying to reach them is f*%king hard, we have websites, we've tried newspaper advertising, trying to get the local rags interested, regular coverage in Manifesto (thanks to Roy & Mike), scooter magazines, TV & some states have regular radio slots, the problem is if they're not looking for it they ain't gonna find it.

As I said word of mouth works best, my co-promoter Kev Core uses his job at Centrelink (same as DHSS) to question every pom he meets while myself & Ainsley ask every pom we have as customers, we've turned up a few, but it's hard slog.

As for the average Aussie....they think we're gay...lol...it's quite comical to watch them come up the stairs, look through the window & see a lot of middle aged men dancing together, we'd probably have more success if we advertised it as such...lol

KTF

Baz

Social source share

This is going to be one of those age old & recurring problems for promoters in what works/what doesn't, I seriously believe that in general word of mouth is the greatest advertising, I've tried the fancy flyers & it's a pain in the arse, I know there are some very creative people out there that come up with very good artwork but i've been there, done that, personally I'm 'arted out'.....what I do now is have a bog standard design & change the colour, date, line-up & so on...my only problem now will be running out of colours (also our regular venue is being refurbished)......in the UK you have the problem of a lot of very good established soul venues & many new ones which provide even more competiton, here we have the problem of trying to get the word out, 95% of all states core regulars are ex-pats & trying to reach them is f*%king hard, we have websites, we've tried newspaper advertising, trying to get the local rags interested, regular coverage in Manifesto (thanks to Roy & Mike), scooter magazines, TV & some states have regular radio slots, the problem is if they're not looking for it they ain't gonna find it.

As I said word of mouth works best, my co-promoter Kev Core uses his job at Centrelink (same as DHSS) to question every pom he meets while myself & Ainsley ask every pom we have as customers, we've turned up a few, but it's hard slog.

As for the average Aussie....they think we're gay...lol...it's quite comical to watch them come up the stairs, look through the window & see a lot of middle aged men dancing together, we'd probably have more success if we advertised it as such...lol

KTF

Baz

I know 'word of mouth' will work, obviously mate.

But it'll take half an hour of thought to put together a half decent, deserving of today, flyer - as apposed to five minutes in WORD typing out a shite, unworthy of your efforts, sheet - surely?

It's not hard to give your flyer a bit of thought, what's the problem.

It just strikes me that if you appear to have a downer on well-thought out flyers, you can't have bothered yourself.

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

That's what I relly love about your posts, thread, replies, you always seem to want to 'have a go' I added my reply to your post with my opinion, it wasn't a slight against you or anybody else, as I'm also echoing other replies in essence, are you having a go at them for 'apparently' stating the bleeding obvious....as for

But it'll take half an hour of thought to put together a half decent, deserving of today, flyer - as apposed to five minutes in WORD typing out a shite, unworthy of your efforts, sheet - surely?

It's not hard to give your flyer a bit of thought, what's the problem.

It just strikes me that if you appear to have a downer on well-thought out flyers, you can't have bothered yourself

Why make such a patronising statement which is totally off key, if you'd bothered doing any research, I don't use word, it's photoshop & corel draw, you'd realise that, but then you surely couldn't be bothered could you?

KTF

Baz

Really!?
Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Barry we started 7 yrs ago in a tiny club in radcliffe then moved to sheridans were i personaly paid off mounting debts because of the faith i had in the djs and music we were playing,luckily lifeline and backbeat came into sheridans as well and helped to keep the club running for a few years the rest is history.I didnt use or like fancy flyers or gimmicks then and still dont the venue and the music does the talking which is what i said in the first place.As for only giveing time and money to bigger venues i spend my weekends visiting small clubs the length and breadth of the country looking for good djs ,we had over 70 guests last year at least half of those makeing there debut with us and if you read our line ups you will see a high percentage of the guests are up and comeing club djs.As a boy was myself a wigan fan but also spent a great deal of time in the smaller clubs round the northwest.Not sure if my credentials meet your standards or anybody elses but frankly my main concern is keeping middleton as good as we can,and back on topic still say fancy flyers mean f*** all no matter how much work goes intoo em.This is just my own opinion and nothing to do with any of the other middleton promoters.Oh and a few of us are still waiting for this allniter you promised us :rolleyes: .

Edited by Soultown andy
Social source share

Apologies if I come on a bit hard sometimes but to me it's the only way to get out of people what they really feel, when your danders up you tend to speak sense .

There is so much twaddle spoke on message boards it's laughable, it's the only reason message boards are successful (no doubt certain others would see my input on here as twaddle, proving my point to a degree).

I don't think I have a go in my posts, I just seek truths - and I wouldn't at all say my posts are patronising, as in this case I would say of course 'word of mouth is a major factor in how people get to know any event is worth a visit' and of course a strong dj line up speaks volumes.

I could have argued that you were patronising toward me, as you obviously thought that I am daft enough not to have the mental capacity to realise that 'word of mouth' and 'dj line ups' contribute to a nights success - but I didn't.

My initial post was to do with how people, these days, brand their efforts and nothing more.

Don't get the hump with me please, try and read between my tough love lines, as I would like to think there is generally a modicom of sense in them somewhere.

Social source share

Not sure if my credentials meet your standards

Mate I was, am, and will continue to be a nobody on this scene.

I was the kid in my group, the whipping boy, no doubt there are a lot like me on here too.

The only reason I feel the need to exert my opinions and wonderings are simply based on the fact that I haven't had a week, since 1978 (Maleady'll back that up), that my life hasn't revolved around going to venues and learning my trade.

I may talk a good game, but I would hope that you never see me as a worthy recipient of a remark like the one you made above.

Social source share

KTF

Baz

I can just picture it ........

" In respect of your application , can I ask you what can you offer Australia , and did you ever go to The Casino ? " ..........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert