Arthur Miles - Trippin' On Your Love

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Have to agree with Mr Hampsey, its a very poor imitation.

If you want a better "modern" psuedo-house record go for his earlier single Helping Hand, much better single and doesn't have to live up to the perfection that is the Staple singers.

At least you didnt ask about the horrendous Way Of Life version that used to be played at early Southport which is possible the worst record ever (although there are many contenders for that!!)

Social source share

If you want a better "modern" psuedo-house record go for his earlier single Helping Hand, much better single and doesn't have to live up to the perfection that is the Staple singers.

At least you didnt ask about the horrendous Way Of Life version that used to be played at early Southport which is possible the worst record ever (although there are many contenders for that!!)

I actually preferred the 'Way Of Life' version meself Jocko, as white (in a way that only cowboys can be :thumbsup: ) as could be, but a better version (for me that is).

In retrospect, I must add that I too caught the Arthur Miles bus back then.

I find his efforts, on re-appraisal that is, those of an owd fella jumping on a bandwagon fuelled by us UK Soulies creating enough buzz in for Tong's FFRR label to sign it (I sent 'em it) - but that was then wasn't it?

May I add that records and people such as Arthur Miles were part of the development of this scene and tracks like his helped move things on, so I'm not being negative, just stating where I sit now - but his tracks were very much, again for me that is, a time and a place.

Give the 'Way Of Life' version another go Jocko - that was the version that got the most air play of the two at Bradford anyhow.

Social source share

Arthur Miles " TOYL " : a definate no - no compared to MS , whilst I will agree that " HH " is a good record ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Threre can be but one Highlander and thats the Staple Singers BUT, for me and the Missus, the next best is Arthur and used to spin it all the time when first released, indeed I belivie that Jon Buck used to plug it as the Drummond events in London also (was this where I first heard it???) Also Jane thinks of it as 'our tune' so beware Steve with your dance version!!!!! (although you could be our Simon Bates any time you like X)

Social source share

Threre can be but one Highlander and thats the Staple Singers BUT, for me and the Missus, the next best is Arthur and used to spin it all the time when first released, indeed I belivie that Jon Buck used to plug it as the Drummond events in London also (was this where I first heard it???) Also Jane thinks of it as 'our tune' so beware Steve with your dance version!!!!! (although you could be our Simon Bates any time you like X)

Oooh, I used to do Drummonds just before the 100 Club and just before them lot got all Ministry Of Sound and lost the fookin plot.

Changing tac some what, there was a Modern track being bashed at the time called "Touch me Touch me" it was by a male artist and may have been Italian House or on the Black Moon label, lord knows if that's right but that what I seam to remember?

"A Way Of Life Trippin On Your Love" can any one sling a file of that up please? I tried to Youtube it but got some scary Banana fookin Rama track!

Social source share

Well, I don't mind all the versions to an extent... but have to agree that Mavis is by far the best of 'em all thumbup.gif

BTW Jock - Arthur's "Helping hand" was actually on the same single as his version of "TOYL" yes.gif:wicked:

Social source share

Well, I don't mind all the versions to an extent... but have to agree that Mavis is by far the best of 'em all :thumbup:

BTW Jock - Arthur's "Helping hand" was actually on the same single as his version of "TOYL" :unsure::P

On the FFRR UK release yes, not on the Italian 'New Music' original issue though; Eg:

n250.jpg

Arthurs (Italian released) records had possibly the worst picture sleeves in the history of mankind btw, laughably bad.

Italian pressings (always nice heavy thick cut and well produced/pressed vinyl as a rule of thumb), had more response than the majority of the vinyl churned out by their UK 'dance' counterparts in the early 90's(that sounds so pseudo dunnit? Apolgies).

As for the Mavis argument, I'd say you are right yes, in a purist manner, but hasn't there always been a wonderful urgency on this scene for current, soulfully sang, cover versions - just reel 'em off.

It's hard to cripple certain records (Ooops! cue "I beg to differ" posts).

I've said it often on here but there was such a wealth of fantastic original soulful dance productions coming out of Italy in the late 80's/ early 90's.

There was an awful lot of US stuff that used to get licenced to Italy, and poorly remixed for their market at the time too, the occasional gem used to turn up though.

I know I've gone off on one now but apart from stuff that was never going to fail once played on the soul scene, such as Arthur Miles, the problem a lot of it (Italian soulful dance that is) had was, it was too housey for the Soulies and soulful for the House lovers, which led to it being a very untapped source...by many, not all that is.

I remember the shipping rates for Euro 12"s going up, which brought about a lot of distributors shunning Italian product for a good spell.

It appeared to me that during that period Italian producers, knowing that there product wasn't going to be shipped to the US & UK in as great a quantity as before, changed their sound and in doing so the soulful sound they once used got left behind to a degree.

Their productions as a whole became a lot more stripped down, minimal even, which was a great shame.

Edited by Barry
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert