What Are Your Thoughts On This?

Just been on youtube and watched the moloko familiar feeling video along with obviously the duffy video amongst others and just had a thought that is the scene actually being given (be it clandestinely) some credit by the mainstream, as the best underground music scene to ever have happened in the UK?

I'm sure if we were all a generation younger and the fact that this wonderful scene is now tainted by all us old gits loving it for the last 30 years plus, I reckon given the attention (at least visually dancing/clubwise if not musically) it has been given, it would be a massive happening underground fashionable scene again and if it wasn't for the generation gap (meaning youngsters don't want to go to clubs where their mum and dads dance) would be the biggest happening scene in the UK?

Have a feeling it wouldn't be as us purists would like it of course being an ex TOTW regular, but all the same think a younger generation have the potential to embrace it in a new way?

OK it would be a bitter pill to swallow for me and possibly feel that our scene was being plagiarised and very likely end up bitter and twisted about it, but who am I to deny a new generation?

Your thoughts?

Be especially interested to hear younger peoples thoughts on this.

Edited by soulechoes
Social source share

• Replies 49
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I think that musically and as a scene (i.e. dancing, style etc) it has every chance of being a happening underground scene with a new generation.

But I doubt that the record collecting aspect would be embraced as it is not the media of choice these days.

One of the criticisms occasionally leveled at NS is that it is almost unique in that the tunes played are not available to everyone due to the prevalent OVO rule. If a new generation embraced the sounds I doubt they would embrace this ideal too.

Just my humble ....

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

Guest sausalito

You might be right us old gits are in thier way, if the scene can hang on for 5-10 years when were all too knackered and on zimmers the young un's may take over. However, today's generation is a throw away one and they move between music genre's a lot quicker than we did so it may be a short lived love affair, and a totally different mix of sounds to what we are used to (or maybe not) :thumbsup:

Social source share

You might be right us old gits are in thier way, if the scene can hang on for 5-10 years when were all too knackered and on zimmers the young un's may take over. However, today's generation is a throw away one and they move between music genre's a lot quicker than we did so it may be a short lived love affair, and a totally different mix of sounds to what we are used to (or maybe not) :thumbsup:

Not quite sure about the swift movement between genres as a modern thing.In the v early seventies there were many genres available - Bowie,Stones (still knockin' good tunes out then),Pink Floyd,T Rex etc.So enough to go at and i'm sure many NS fans dabbled in bits if not all that was available and then bingo - tried NS or Motown and that was the one that stuck!

Whilst they may seem transient, I reckon we were until we found something with feeling/soul.

When I see younger folks at Soul do's i'm jealous cos they have virtually unlimitited access to the tunes so they can get the lyrics etc on demand.Blimey the amount of times people used to misquote titles cos we only got to hear them irregularly in the early days - so modern access is great for the scene and looks to provide the health it needed.

The younger generation seem to prefer the uptempo sides when dancing - gotta be a good thing as dancing is critical to the scene (who wants to watch a bunch of old f*rts floatin' around -that's what your parents did!!!!)

Paul

Social source share

I think that musically and as a scene (i.e. dancing, style etc) it has every chance of being a happening underground scene with a new generation.

But I doubt that the record collecting aspect would be embraced as it is not the media of choice these days.

One of the criticisms occasionally leveled at NS is that it is almost unique in that the tunes played are not available to everyone due to the prevalent OVO rule. If a new generation embraced the sounds I doubt they would embrace this ideal too.

Just my humble ....

Cheers

Paul

I agree,however there is a missing factor as well nowadays - when import restrictions on US vinyl were lifted '71 I think that brought a massive block of unheard tunes to the UK which us detective soulies started on.

That was a one off hit and will never happen again.

As they say - "we was spoilt"

Paul

Social source share

probabaly not important but even when my teenage daughter likes a melody she always asks why the lyrical content of northern seems to be about breaking up and being dumped ! where as a lot of todays tunes are more f*** you im better off without you ! or look at all my money !!

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Not quite sure about the swift movement between genres as a modern thing.In the v early seventies there were many genres available - Bowie,Stones (still knockin' good tunes out then),Pink Floyd,T Rex etc.So enough to go at and i'm sure many NS fans dabbled in bits if not all that was available and then bingo - tried NS or Motown and that was the one that stuck!

Whilst they may seem transient, I reckon we were until we found something with feeling/soul.

When I see younger folks at Soul do's i'm jealous cos they have virtually unlimitited access to the tunes so they can get the lyrics etc on demand.Blimey the amount of times people used to misquote titles cos we only got to hear them irregularly in the early days - so modern access is great for the scene and looks to provide the health it needed.

The younger generation seem to prefer the uptempo sides when dancing - gotta be a good thing as dancing is critical to the scene (who wants to watch a bunch of old f*rts floatin' around -that's what your parents did!!!!)

Paul

It's funny because it was the very up-tempo northern tracks that got me and probably a lot of other souls into this music in the first place and I still love to listen to real up-tempo northern now and attempting to dance to one or two also!

Talking to young apprentice electrician at work about all the new soulful tracks that are in the popular media at the moment his words "I love this Duffy song it's like a breath of fresh air" I like A/W but there is something different about the beat like it's grabbing a hold of you on the Duffy record"

Remind you of anything in you younger days? I told him I know absolutely what he was feeling.

After putting a CD together for him last Friday just stuff like "seven day lover" "lover her so much" but also put stuff like "under the street lamp" on there I was waiting for him to get back to me so, I took a walk up to the Job he was working on, I didn't need to ask he had the CD near full blast he was up a step ladder fitting conduit to the ceiling and singing his head of.

How long it will last I don't know or if he will attend any soul nights well that's up to him I handed him some info for Six Hill this Saturday.

Steve J

Social source share

My youngest son, 14, listens to any thing and every thing. He YouTube's regularly and has an insane amount of music on his Ipod and PC.

I try to feed him stuff from time to time like The Who, Punk, and of course Northern Soul.

He doesn't ever make the same connection to any of the music like I did, I, like most on here gave heart and soul to this music.

There is a reason and a mega difference in today's kids and "us" and this is easy to explain in a time line and follows the change in technology and how we and them stored and listened to our music. This altered our fashion as well and as the technology improved the music and fashion became less ingrained.

British youth culture like punks, mods and Soulies basically died when sports casuals came into the fashion mid eighties. This saw the last of the uniformed youth culture, I think the last where the trench coat wearing Joy Division types?

When the Sony walkman came out and then the CD the change from "us" clutching our black plastic single or walking around town with the Album that we thought defined who we where stopped. You would not be seen dead with a Kate Bush album or a Black Sabbath album if you where a "Mod" and you where doomed if you where a greaser walking around with a Bee Gee's LP. But now day's music doesn't define the kids, they have no problem listening and talking about every thing from Slipknot to Kylie.

So are we going to get an influx of young Soulies? No I think not, we will have a splurge if nothing more that will die as soon as the next disposable yo yo comes along.

Soul will always be there but we love the music because it once did and still does..... define who we are.

This is Imberboy talking bollox as per normal xxx :thumbsup:

Social source share

Just been on youtube and watched the moloko familiar feeling video along with obviously the duffy video amongst others and just had a thought that is the scene actually being given (be it clandestinely) some credit by the mainstream, as the best underground music scene to ever have happened in the UK?

I'm sure if we were all a generation younger and the fact that this wonderful scene is now tainted by all us old gits loving it for the last 30 years plus, I reckon given the attention (at least visually dancing/clubwise if not musically) it has been given, it would be a massive happening underground fashionable scene again and if it wasn't for the generation gap (meaning youngsters don't want to go to clubs where their mum and dads dance) would be the biggest happening scene in the UK?

Have a feeling it wouldn't be as us purists would like it of course being an ex TOTW regular, but all the same think a younger generation have the potential to embrace it in a new way?

OK it would be a bitter pill to swallow for me and possibly feel that our scene was being plagiarised and very likely end up bitter and twisted about it, but who am I to deny a new generation?

Your thoughts?

Be especially interested to hear younger peoples thoughts on this.

check out one of those Duffy threads - it wasn't a million miles away from your question here....

I think it'd be a great idea - only if I'm young enough to qualify to be part of it though.. :thumbsup:

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Just my humble ....

Cheers

Paul

I think the vinyl only ethos is the very thing that has kept the scene from being exploited or dominated by the media, or big music corporations. They couldn't and can't find a way in, to exploit it via Artists or on line sales etc.

A few small companies like Kent or Goldmine make a few quid, but not the potential millions that mainstream media culture needs in order to demand its full attention and resources, before bleeding that genre or sub-culture dry!

The Northern soul scene has avoided that through the very fact that its so exclusively vinyl. It also means that any potential dj has to put the hours of obsession and passion into searching for their tunes, months, years, decades...whatever. Thats its defining depth and soul. It cant be googled or downloaded! (apart from top 500 :thumbsup: )

Its not a scene for the flighty or ephemeral minded, thats why the media does not and cannot understand it. It makes no sense to them, because the media, by its very nature, is ephemeral, trite, fickle and momentary. As is youth culture in general, thats the nature of youth!

The northern soul scene was and is the exception. In that a group of young people found a deep passion that stayed with them ALL through their lives. So much so that, for many, it defines their lives. :lol:

Social source share

i agree. I think the very thing that is most attractive about these scenes (apart from the geat music obviously) is that it's the people deciding what they like without any corporate or commercial influence.

The originals only ethic, as well as serving other purposes, means that they can't even sell us what we play or make any money from it, making it immune from commercial influences.

In a day and age when nearly everything is packaged and sold by big business, I think it's one of the last bastions of real grass roots culture left that's run by people just because they love it and the more sick people get of being told what to like, you'd think it would become more attractive. Hope so anyway.

Social source share

So are we going to get an influx of young Soulies? No I think not, we will have a splurge if nothing more that will die as soon as the next disposable yo yo comes along.

Soul will always be there but we love the music because it once did and still does….. define who we are.

This is Imberboy talking bollox as per normal xxx :ohmy:

Nope, for once :lol: I dont think your talking Bollox, the scene as we know it will die with our generation,feel sure of it,it may be rediscovered in some form ,at a later date by some youngsters and they will make it ther own , the vinyl only side of it wiil not be a part of it at all

this will sound none P-C, but I when I go out, I dont want to see a load of kids at my local do' they dont have the right attitude and or etticuette and if there is any sort of trouble at a do' you usually find some kids are at the bottom of it :thumbsup: sad but true

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

Interesting that you state that Northern Soul "can't be googled or downloaded" on an internet forum. Almost every tune is on the net somewhere in one form or another (look at refosoul), if it comes out your PC speakers you can record it and bung it on your ipod. There are so many blogs on the net with podcasts of rare sounds that you can hear pretty much anything you want to on the net.

I can tell you for a fact, most of my collection CAN'T be googled or downloaded, if you want I can give you a few test tunes for you theory?! Maybe your judging it on your own experience of collecting and listening.?

Also, i think comparing the rave scene to the Northern scene is a little wide of the mark. Most ravers cant even remember the tunes they danced to in the first place and nearly ALL of them have moved on in terms of what they listen to. Graeme Park is a friend of over 30 years and he isnt still playing the same stuff that he did at the GARAGE in Notts or the Hacienda all those years ago (unless its a tribute anniversary).

Also, the younger Europeans and Japanese seem to pay tribute to the original soul scene in terms of the way they dress (mod styles etc). So . why should the playing format be the exception to this rule. By your theory, of leaving the 'roots' behind, they should just turn up, bung a cd or ipod on and have a good time. It seems to me, when talking to these people, that THEY want to embrace the scene in an historical context, including the LOVE of vinyl. In fact, I just sold some tunes to a young Japanese collector. So the very people you are saying wont embrace the vinyl format are contadicting you? The same applies with the young American collectors, France, Sweden, Norway, Belgium...shall I go on?

You talk about formats....We also had tapes back in those days, so why didnt people just put a compilation tape together and stick it on at nights, it would have been a lot easier!?

Maybe there is something visceral and 'soulful' about the vinyl format itself? if you look at indie music now, a lot of releases (young bands) are going back to it because of that fact. It has personality and as you keep it over the years it takes on some of yours. It is NOT disposable and there lies its attraction. Its personal and unique, visceral and visible......tangible and sometimes even olfactory. :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest NorthernUprising

The fact is, music is so widely available these days is a blessing and a curse. It allows you to explore and listen to as much as you can - this can lead to people listening to things they wouldn't have otherwise heard of, from ska to northern itself. The flipside is it also leads to there being nothing comparable to "scenes" in the older sense, because people associate themselves with so many kinds of music.

I listen to a lot of different music, but I'm attracted to northern cos of the sounds for one, and everything that comes with it like the dedication in finding records and tunes that are virtually unavailable anywhere else.

Social source share

Guest Roddy

For what its worth I believe the very esoteric nature of the Nothern/rare soul scene makes it attractive to youth but the main missing link is that almost all of us got into the music via a youth club/big brothers/mates or older friends. there was almost a progression from local Youth club to local soul night to allnighters this tiered level of entry dosent exist anymore.

My experience in Scotland of youngsters coming along to soul doos are usually university kids dipping toes in the water (nowt wrong with that).

When I got into Soul it was a working class secret escape society away from the dailly pish you had to put up with be it parents,school,work or a combination of all three there also was a support network of older guys and girls to look out and help educate you,when I say older it was only acouple of years but enough to seem a lot then.

Working class kids (generalisation I know) now dont seem to have passion anymore and imo are slaves to global media and are afraid to be different.My 15 year old stepson and his 18 year old sister have conformed to their peers at every juncture of their young lives.

Social source share

Interesting that you state that Northern Soul "can't be googled or downloaded" on an internet forum. Almost every tune is on the net somewhere in one form or another (look at refosoul), if it comes out your PC speakers you can record it and bung it on your ipod. There are so many blogs on the net with podcasts of rare sounds that you can hear pretty much anything you want to on the net.

I can tell you for a fact, most of my collection CAN'T be googled or downloaded, if you want I can give you a few test tunes for you theory?! Maybe your judging it on your own experience of collecting and listening.?

I doubt that, no thanks & no it isn't. rolleyes.gif

The original post was about a new generation embracing Northern Soul music and that is what I was on about.

Also, i think comparing the rave scene to the Northern scene is a little wide of the mark. Most ravers cant even remember the tunes they danced to in the first place and nearly ALL of them have moved on in terms of what they listen to. Graeme Park is a friend of over 30 years and he isnt still playing the same stuff that he did at the GARAGE in Notts or the Hacienda all those years ago (unless its a tribute anniversary).

I wasn't comparing the 2 scenes in that respect I was giving examples (somewhat flippantly) of scenes where the people involved felt it defined their lives. As I said, some move on some do not.

Also, the younger Europeans and Japanese seem to pay tribute to the original soul scene in terms of the way they dress (mod styles etc). So . why should the playing format be the exception to this rule. By your theory, of leaving the 'roots' behind, they should just turn up, bung a cd or ipod on and have a good time. It seems to me, when talking to these people, that THEY want to embrace the scene in an historical context, including the LOVE of vinyl. In fact, I just sold some tunes to a young Japanese collector. So the very people you are saying wont embrace the vinyl format are contadicting you? The same applies with the young American collectors, France, Sweden, Norway, Belgium...shall I go on?

No thanks, the original post asked about the UK which is what I replied to.

You talk about formats....We also had tapes back in those days, so why didnt people just put a compilation tape together and stick it on at nights, it would have been a lot easier!?

I included a point about tapes in my original post then took it out as I felt it was irrelevant given the topic. However tapes were the main format used in the 70's to introduce people to new music including Northern Soul. The idea of DJing with them is a bit ridiculous as it is nigh on impossible. People collected compilation tapes to hear new tunes but not the commercially available tapes, people DJ'd with vinyl because that is what the tunes were on and what was available.

These days the equivalent of tapes is the internet. You can DJ from a laptop selecting individual tunes, with a bit of practice you could DJ with an ipod - someone somewhere probably is.

Maybe there is something visceral and 'soulful' about the vinyl format itself? if you look at indie music now, a lot of releases (young bands) are going back to it because of that fact. It has personality and as you keep it over the years it takes on some of yours. It is NOT disposable and there lies its attraction. Its personal and unique, visceral and visible......tangible and sometimes even olfactory. :rolleyes:

I agree. that's why I like it. But, as I said, I doubt a new generation embracing the sounds of Northern Soul will embrace collecting original vinyl.

Social source share

I can tell you for a fact, most of my collection CAN'T be googled or downloaded, if you want I can give you a few test tunes for you theory?!

Just for fun, it would be great if you could list 20 or so titles from your record collection that doesn't throw up any kind of search result.

I'm not saying that you can download soundclips of everything on the net, but in my experience the 45s that are truly unknown and un-googleable are extremely few and far between.

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

Nope, for once biggrin.gif I dont think your talking Bollox, the scene as we know it will die with our generation,feel sure of it,it may be rediscovered in some form ,at a later date by some youngsters and they will make it ther own , the vinyl only side of it wiil not be a part of it at all

this will sound none P-C, but I when I go out, I dont want to see a load of kids at my local do' they dont have the right attitude and or etticuette and if there is any sort of trouble at a do' you usually find some kids are at the bottom of it ohmy.gif sad but true

Bazza

I think that you're right. Change is inevitable. I don't think that rediscovered is the right word though as theres quite a few people my age on the scene & i must admit that i feel privillaged that i'm part of the scene as it is now & will be part of the scene for the rest of my days. I quite look forward to telling kids in 30 years "how it was better in my day!" :rolleyes::boxing:

Social source share

Maybe there is something visceral and 'soulful' about the vinyl format itself? if you look at indie music now, a lot of releases (young bands) are going back to it because of that fact. It has personality and as you keep it over the years it takes on some of yours. It is NOT disposable and there lies its attraction. Its personal and unique, visceral and visible......tangible and sometimes even olfactory. thumbsup.gif

hi Paul,just as an aside to this thread,i used to got to the Garage to hear Graeme Park,,what's he doing nowadays.?.

Now there was a man who knew how to fill a floor.

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Nice one James. Proves the point and also a good example of the revival that is being embraced by a younger crowd, as a reaction against the homogenous itunes type approach to music collecting. yes.gif

I think most commentators on this site are out of touch with the reality of the situation. How could they not be?

And there are too many folk talking nonsense about Duffy and Amy Winehouse while the real thing is happening right under their noses and is probably being played on their kids iPods and they don't even know it...

Could it be the case that many on here are as guilty of being manipulated and spoon fed by the commercial music press and super star DJs as the people they are being critical of? There is a whiff of hypocrisy around these parts at the moment, I thinks...

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest Roddy

I think most commentators on this site are out of touch with the reality of the situation. How could they not be?

And there are too many folk talking nonsense about Duffy and Amy Winehouse while the real thing is happening right under their noses and is probably being played on their kids iPods and they don't even know it...

Could it be the case that many on here are as guilty of being manipulated and spoon fed by the commercial music press and super star DJs as the people they are being critical of? There is a whiff of hypocrisy around these parts at the moment, I thinks...

Tell us more James !

Social source share

hi Paul,just as an aside to this thread,i used to got to the Garage to hear Graeme Park,,what's he doing nowadays.?.

Now there was a man who knew how to fill a floor.

Hes doing loads. Has a radio show, still produces and at the moment , I think there is a Hacianda anniversary tour! He was ALWAYS way ahead in music and had something like 6000 albums when i was hanging about with him in 1978ish. In fact I sold him a lot of my northern stuff from my first collection. I was hard up and took it down to the Garage for him. Top bloke and really broad taste in music. He came to see the play in Manchester. Always fills the floor!

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Tell us more James !

No need for me to say any more, there is plenty out there in the media. Of course, most of the northern scene seems to be the last to catch on because they are too busy being spoon fed by super star DJs and remembering about how good it used to be back in the day...

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Ah, I thought you were a superstar DJ :rolleyes: .

Looking forward to speaking to you soon James.

Yeah, 'superstar international soul playboy', that's me ph34r.gif:boxing: Am I seeing you Saturday, I heard a rumour you were going to Sheffield for Pow Wow?

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest Roddy

Yeah, 'superstar international soul playboy', that's me ph34r.gif:rolleyes: Am I seeing you Saturday, I heard a rumour you were going to Sheffield for Pow Wow?

yeah i'm picking up some tunes so i thought combining a little business with pleasure are yow going to Pow wow ?

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

yeah i'm picking up some tunes so i thought combining a little business with pleasure are yow going to Pow wow ?

Yeah, got some Shazza Jones in the box to spin at the afternoon session, I'll probably be on a Daptone high after the Jazz Cafe gig tonight. See you there, man...

Social source share

Guest Roddy

Yeah, got some Shazza Jones in the box to spin at the afternoon session, I'll probably be on a Daptone high after the Jazz Cafe gig tonight. See you there, man...

enjoy my tall friend

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Hes doing loads. Has a radio show, still produces and at the moment , I think there is a Hacianda anniversary tour! He was ALWAYS way ahead in music and had something like 6000 albums when i was hanging about with him in 1978ish. In fact I sold him a lot of my northern stuff from my first collection. I was hard up and took it down to the Garage for him. Top bloke and really broad taste in music. He came to see the play in Manchester. Always fills the floor!

Good to know he's still at it.

Was a regular at the Garage when Parkie was resident and also got to see him at the HAC a few times (Ralphie Rozzario always springs to mind). I'd go and see him DJ again if in Notts / Derbys as he could spin some cracking sets - little hope mind as Notts /Derby are cultural deserts as far as House is concerned.

Social source share

Sounds good. Mik is a good dj. Owes me a pint for raising the profile of 'Build Me A Mountain'. What times it go on until?

I owe you a few for hearing it in the first place! It's in the club listing, we play mostly 60s R&B flavoured soul, R&B, ska and boogaloo with an emphasis on newer and lesser known stuff...it's in the club listings, this one features special guest Mace, who i'm sure a lot of you know:

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/calenda...p;event_id=7363

cheers, all welcome. Only a fiver for 7 hours of top quality music in a great venue.

top 10 as an example, sorry for the plug...but it relates to the thread in that it's a city centre venue and in 2006 when we did 4 nights, we got a great crowd of young and old all together enjoying the music, not really under the banner of any 'scene' and without playing wedding music.

Johnathan capri - gonna build me a mountain :lol:

Sounds of fm - adolescents theme

Bill Mcaffey - I dont know why

Jimmy Mccracklin - what's that

Harvey Lantz - Little boy blue

Little Nicky soul - I wanted to tell you

Johnny Barnes - nothing without your love

Willie j charles - feelin Kinda Lonesome

Billy Hamlin - if you aint got no bread you might as well stay in bed

Thornton Sisters - I keep forgettin'

etc etc

Edited by mik parry
Social source share

Guest mel brat

There is a reason and a mega difference in today’s kids and “us” and this is easy to explain in a time line and follows the change in technology and how we and them stored and listened to our music. This altered our fashion as well and as the technology improved the music and fashion became less ingrained....

British youth culture like punks, mods and Soulies basically died when sports casuals came into the fashion mid eighties. This saw the last of the uniformed youth culture...

But now day’s music doesn’t define the kids, they have no problem listening and talking about every thing from Slipknot to Kylie....

On the contrary, you've made some very interesting points. Particularly the part about "uniformed youth culture". There was a time in the early seventies when you knew exactly what music kids liked by how they dressed, and if you knew that you were on safe and familiar ground! For example, if you encountered someone in the street wearing a Torch badge you could reasonably surmise that he/she had actually been to the Torch(!) and consequently was well into Soul music (and not just "Northern Soul" either!). After chatting to them you'd maybe bump into them again at clubs etc., and more often than not have a friend for life! (That's one reason why I abhored the period C.1975 when cheap Northern Soul badges suddenly began to be sold in everyday record shops and all kinds of degenerate divvies started wearing them - suddenly you could no longer tell who was "hip" at a glance!)

The only trouble with the current immediate access to all-things Northern Soul is that the longer "appenticeship" served in the old days enabled newcomers to assimilate the time honoured social etiquette of the scene, and enabled the Northern scene to develop with it's traditions - many of which were/are worth preserving - more or less intact.

Though any newcomers are more than welcome, it would hopefully not be at the expense of the overall friendliness and genuine passion for the music that has enabled the scene to survive for so long.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

My youngest son, 14, listens to any thing and every thing. He YouTube's regularly and has an insane amount of music on his Ipod and PC.

I try to feed him stuff from time to time like The Who, Punk, and of course Northern Soul.

He doesn't ever make the same connection to any of the music like I did, I, like most on here gave heart and soul to this music.

There is a reason and a mega difference in today's kids and "us" and this is easy to explain in a time line and follows the change in technology and how we and them stored and listened to our music. This altered our fashion as well and as the technology improved the music and fashion became less ingrained.

British youth culture like punks, mods and Soulies basically died when sports casuals came into the fashion mid eighties. This saw the last of the uniformed youth culture, I think the last where the trench coat wearing Joy Division types?

When the Sony walkman came out and then the CD the change from "us" clutching our black plastic single or walking around town with the Album that we thought defined who we where stopped. You would not be seen dead with a Kate Bush album or a Black Sabbath album if you where a "Mod" and you where doomed if you where a greaser walking around with a Bee Gee's LP. But now day's music doesn't define the kids, they have no problem listening and talking about every thing from Slipknot to Kylie.

Soul will always be there but we love the music because it once did and still does..... define who we are.

"A splurge".

Genius.

Even though Imberboy obviously displays signs of severe psycholigical trauma in many of his posts, he is undoubtably very f*&kin' funny.

His response to the request for dancers for Duffy's video is a stone classic which everyone should dig out for posterity!

Then he got me with Saddam Hussein's son being a Northern collector fanatic. Stiched me up a like a kipper LOL...

And the current mod film thread is just ridiculous. He almost got me again 'cos he goes to incredible lengths to frame the setting.

But he's so bang on with the above, that I simply cannot see a wind-up...............yet..............?

Great stuff!

Ian D :D

Social source share

:thumbsup:

You can add - Spain, Germany, Italy and shortly Switzerland to that list. The main problem is that people can't accept that the UK is predominantly a 'has been' scene and still think it all lies within 'walking distance'. The future lies overseas with youngsters. A vibrant, exciting, celebratory atmosphere at most gigs. No baggage, no politics, no CDs/bootlegs and NO DUFFY! :D

Social source share

Guest Roddy

Re ipods; I think you plant them Mark. Dont know what they grow into planted a couple in the garden (fckuing expensive). I am hoping for a series two TV175 Lambretta from the first one, and a copy of the Idols on reveille "just a little bit more" ...heres hoping ...

Social source share

Thanks for those words Murderbeat but I aint got psychological dramas, I'm as stable as a hat stand. :D

Murderbeat. Now that goes back to the 80's LOL..... :D

And our hat-stand in the hall is top-loaded with anything other than hats, which nobody seems to wear these days apart from Pete Docherty and Blake Civil-Fielder. The fact is, that several heavy jackets and a bag or two make make my particular hat stand INCREDIBLY UNSTABLE! :D

On top of that, I actually do have several psychological dramas going on at any given time. The latest is an internet flirtation which has now turned into a 'Basic Instinct' type scenario.

But we all have our crosses to bear Imberboy........ :unsure:

Never dull that sledghammer wit lad!

Ian D :D

Social source share

At Stoke last month there were quite a few young (less than 35 :-) present. Best of all

was one of the bar girls who'd never seen a NS event and was gobsmacked, she bopped

and toe-tapped most of the night. All-nighters tend to have no violence, generally are

p*ss-head free and the cameradery that soulies have are quite attractive to some young

people. Let 'em come, but keep those drinks off the dance-floor !!!!

Chris L

Social source share

:yes:

You can add - Spain, Germany, Italy and shortly Switzerland to that list. The main problem is that people can't accept that the UK is predominantly a 'has been' scene and still think it all lies within 'walking distance'. The future lies overseas with youngsters. A vibrant, exciting, celebratory atmosphere at most gigs. No baggage, no politics, no CDs/bootlegs and NO DUFFY! :lol:

Danni's playlist from Valencia recently

The Magnificents - There Can Be a Better Way - MAMC - Demo

Jimmy Mack - My World is on Fire - Palmer - Demo

Rose Bastiste - Hit and Run - Revilot - Demo

Donna Coleman - You're Loves Too Strong - Avin - Demo

Del Larks - Job Opening Pt1 - Queen City - Demo

Herbert Hunter - I Was Born to Love You - Spar - Demo

The Four Perfections - I'm Not Strong Enough - Partytime - Demo

The Demures - Raining Teardrops - Brunswick - Demo

The Topics - Hey Girl (Where are you going) Chadwick - Demo

The Ambers - Another Love - Smash - Demo

L. Allen - Can't We Talk it Over - Green Dolphin

The Servicemen - I Need a Helping Hand - Patheway

Al Williams - I Am Nothing - Palmer - Demo

The Capreez - How to Make a Sad Man Glad - Sound - Demo

Don Varner - Tear Stained Face - Quinvy

Robby Lawson - Burning Sensation - Kyser

Maurice Williams - Being Without You - Deesu

Lee David - Temptation Is Calling my Name - Columbia - Demo

The Ambassadors - Too Much of a Good Thing - Pee Vee

Jimmy Burns - I Really Love You - Erica

Billy Prophet - What Can I Do - Sue - Demo

Larry Clinton - She's Wanted - Dynamo - Demo

Billy Woods - Let Me Make You Happy - Sussex - Demo

Bobby Freeman - I'll Never Fall In Love Again - Autumn - Demo

Frankie Crocker - Ton of Dynamite - Turbo

E. Rodney Jones - R & B Time Pt1 - Tuff - Demo

Spencer - Searchin' For Love - Midtown - Demo

Harold Andrews - Since I Talk to my Baby - HLS - Demo

Joe Murphy - Soul Blue (Without you) - Vivid - Demo

Margie Joseph - Medicine Bend - Stax UK

Eddie Billups - Shake of That Dream - Seventy 7 - Demo

Bobby Patterson - I'm In Love With You - Jetstar - Demo

Johnny Nash - I'm So Glad You're my Baby - MGM - Demo

Ruby Winters - Better - Stateside - Demo UK

Bobby Hutton - Come See What's Left of me - Phillips - Demo

Hollidays - I Lost You - Groove City

Gerry Grainger - I Go to Pieces (Everytime...) Bell - Demo

Richard Temple - That Beatin' Rhythm - Mirwood

Er...... "Has Been" scene in UK? Vibrant and exciting abroad? Well I guess so if that means playing 45s we heard years ago. No sign of an individual stamp with this playlist. Im not denying that a lot of these 45s are good staple NS and highly collectible 45s but the future that some of you says lies abroad with the younger element looks awfully like our past from this example,which was the first I came across scrolling down "Events Lookbacks".

The punters may have been up for it and enthusiastic but Im sure the crowd over here who go to local oldies nights are enjoying themselves just as much even though they may be sat around a table chatting with their mates.

As for "politics" most of us don't get involved and the term itself is meaningless as it's usually some personal spat between dj's or promoters.

To be blunt I don't give a f**k what they're doing in Spain,USA or Tierra del Fuego to be honest. It is NOT the Northern Scene. That is here in the UK. The rest is an imitation. Not exactly innovative or imaginative either,

ROD

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert