• Replies 36
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest kid mohair

DAVID BOWIE Do Anything You Say

Just stumbled over "DAVID BOWIE" Do Anything You Say and I am rocked to my very foundations! I love it and it would fit well into the play list on any nighter?

Yes its Mod as fook, but I'm only a Mod aint I!

Would ya dance to it?

Has it ever had plays?

YOUTUBE it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK0Lw1DoTQ8

I personaly wouldnt dance to it...........dont he look good..... :shades:

Social source share

This is a fantastic track, but I have to say that the version on that youtube clip doesn't do it justice, the mono single is way better, it's probably the same recording just a different mix. I've had this for years, since 1973 when it came out on a 4 track reissue EP, but also had it on Pye and Pye demo at the same time (I used to be a Bowie collector remember). Probably never been played because of the scarcity of it, I've certainly heard worse. Having said that - Can't Help Thinking About Me is even better than this.

Social source share

Just stumbled over "DAVID BOWIE" Do Anything You Say and I am rocked to my very foundations! I love it and it would fit well into the play list on any nighter?

Would ya dance to it?

Has it ever had plays?

Hope not !!...good record tho`

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Well, I suppose David Bowie in "All About The SOUL" is no worse than some of the regular 'favourites' that turn up in this section...

To be fair it's one of his best 45s ever - all of his Pye singles have at least one absolutely brilliant side and, as Pete points out, "Can't Help Thinking About Me" is the best of the best ("My girl calls my name...'Hi Dave' still sends chills down my back when I play it, which I do, often...).

But why are we discussing its merits in "All About The SOUL"? Whose turn will it be next? Louis Armstrong? Dana? the Skids? Rolf Harris?. Do people post items about Dave Mitchell and the Screamers or Eddie Foster on Bowie forums? Doubt it...

If ever a posting screamed 'freebasing' this is surely the one. Regardless of whether it's a brilliant tune or not (and, as I said a few lines back, it is...)

Meanwhile, I just bought me a 'holy grailer' - a US Mercury Demo of Ronnie Hilton singing "A Windmill In Old Amsterdam". Fantastic track, I'm just counting the days till it drops through the letter box. Has it been played out, and if not why not? whistling

Social source share

Well, I suppose David Bowie in "All About The SOUL" is no worse than some of the regular 'favourites' that turn up in this section...

To be fair it's one of his best 45s ever - all of his Pye singles have at least one absolutely brilliant side and, as Pete points out, "Can't Help Thinking About Me" is the best of the best ("My girl calls my name...'Hi Dave' still sends chills down my back when I play it, which I do, often...).

But why are we discussing its merits in "All About The SOUL"? Whose turn will it be next? Louis Armstrong? Dana? the Skids? Rolf Harris?. Do people post items about Dave Mitchell and the Screamers or Eddie Foster on Bowie forums? Doubt it...

If ever a posting screamed 'freebasing' this is surely the one. Regardless of whether it's a brilliant tune or not (and, as I said a few lines back, it is...)

Meanwhile, I just bought me a 'holy grailer' - a US Mercury Demo of Ronnie Hilton singing "A Windmill In Old Amsterdam". Fantastic track, I'm just counting the days till it drops through the letter box. Has it been played out, and if not why not? whistling.gif

Classic

">
Social source share

Meanwhile, I just bought me a 'holy grailer' - a US Mercury Demo of Ronnie Hilton singing "A Windmill In Old Amsterdam". Fantastic track, I'm just counting the days till it drops through the letter box. Has it been played out, and if not why not? whistling.gif

Better still

Social source share

I think Bowie is a far more deserving case for debate here than (to give an example off the top of my head) Duffy.

I've always considered his "I Dig Everything" to be perhaps the nearest thing to a genuinely indigenous 'mod' record. A truly accurate pastiche of the contemporary American R&B of the time with a wonderfully ironic London slant to the lyrics it really is a fantastic record. If Tony Colton, Ben Brown etc. can have received plays in the name of rare soul, then why not the young Bowie at his brilliant best.

Social source share

Guest cardysharpy

I think Bowie is a far more deserving case for debate here than (to give an example off the top of my head) Duffy.

I've always considered his "I Dig Everything" to be perhaps the nearest thing to a genuinely indigenous 'mod' record. A truly accurate pastiche of the contemporary American R&B of the time with a wonderfully ironic London slant to the lyrics it really is a fantastic record. If Tony Colton, Ben Brown etc. can have received plays in the name of rare soul, then why not the young Bowie at his brilliant best.

Do you really think that is better than Ziggy Stardust and Young Americans Gareth?

I'm with Tony Rounce. Bowie is great, truly great, but not soul.

Social source share

I mean from the Pye period. Obviously he's made far better records, but I don't think this is the correct place to discuss their merits.

I Dig Everything is however, in my opinion, a clear example of an attempt to make blue-eyed soul and a pretty magnificent one at that.

I don't know that I would necessarily have a problem with discussing these particular Bowie records here.

Social source share

Thin ice and Soul Police.

Blimey big calls for any one to say what is soul and what isn't? Apart from that when has a record ever needed to be "Soul" to be played on our "Northernsoul" scene?

I'm sure this subject has gone around and round like a going round thing, how many tracks that are "Dodgy Soul" are embedded in the genre we call Northern?

"The crow" you're autumn of tomorrow

Johnny Jones & the King Casuals - Purple Haze

Hawaii 5-0 theme

Footsee-wigans chosen few

There is a fookin shed full of weird and wonderful tunes but I do not think for one second that this Bowie track would sound weird on the scene?

Break out - Mitch Ryder

You're Ready Now - Frankie Valli

You Get Your Kicks - Mitch ryder

All soil full

The biggest howler I have ever heard of is the fookin Rupert the bear song being played!

I'm not suggesting that at the next nighter that the Diamond Dogs album should be played, I am suggesting that this David Bowie track sounds as good as most of the "Blue Eyed" soul tracks we have!!

Social source share

Meanwhile, I just bought me a 'holy grailer' - a US Mercury Demo of Ronnie Hilton singing "A Windmill In Old Amsterdam". Fantastic track, I'm just counting the days till it drops through the letter box. Has it been played out, and if not why not? :thumbsup:

Tone - I',m surprised that you didn't take this opportunity to mention that Ronnie Hilton did a cover of "The Laughing Gnome" on UK HMV!

Social source share

Meanwhile, I just bought me a 'holy grailer' - a US Mercury Demo of Ronnie Hilton singing "A Windmill In Old Amsterdam". Fantastic track, I'm just counting the days till it drops through the letter box. Has it been played out, and if not why not? :thumbsup:

============

yeah, was covered up as 'ghost in my mouse'.......... :lol:

Social source share

Would ya dance to it?

Has it ever had plays?

Blinding track !!!!!!!, now to source myself a copy :lol:

Social source share

Would ya dance to it?

Has it ever had plays?

No way!! :boxing: Would i dance to that and hope i never hear it played out either :rolleyes: never did like David Bowie ph34r.giftongue.gif

JB

Social source share

Having listened to this again, I think this might be an unreleased version - of which none were said to exist - because the guitar that can be heard all the way through just can't be heard on the single. Honestly, I've heard this track a thousand times and never heard the guitar before. I'll post up the 7" original, see if you agree with me.

Social source share

Malone? That was just a made up name to take the songwriter credits - it was a Bobby Bland song

D. Malone was often used as a writing credit on Bobby Bland records from the Duke label (rightly or wrongly). So that writing credit probably came right off of the Duke single that Bowie learned the song from. I don't have my records in front of me, but just expanding on Pete's comment.

Social source share

D. Malone was often used as a writing credit on Bobby Bland records from the Duke label (rightly or wrongly). So that writing credit probably came right off of the Duke single that Bowie learned the song from. I don't have my records in front of me, but just expanding on Pete's comment.

Usually a pseudonym for label owner Don Robey, "Deadric Malone"...presumably bought the songs off the artists for a pittance and got all the publishing royalties.

Bowie's version of I Pity The Fool is brilliant!

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Blimey this track is already expensive enough on original due to demand from Bowie collectors and the Mod scene......what will it rise to if the northern fraternity start chasing it down, I can see 'em turning up on Manships auction as we speak!!

Actually as an aside and coming in from leftfield but surely Bowie's most soulful track is Rock & Roll Suicide!!! that last 45 seconds is neck hair raising.......but takes us straight back to debate what constitutes soul!

Social source share

Blimey this track is already expensive enough on original due to demand from Bowie collectors and the Mod scene......what will it rise to if the northern fraternity start chasing it down, I can see 'em turning up on Manships auction as we speak!!

Actually as an aside and coming in from leftfield but surely Bowie's most soulful track is Rock & Roll Suicide!!! that last 45 seconds is neck hair raising.......but takes us straight back to debate what constitutes soul!

See what you're saying but Bowie's most soulful track is It's Gonna Be Me, an unissued track from the Sigma Sound sessions in Philadelphia (which eventually got a release a couple of years back), an amazing soul ballad. I think "Win" off Young Americans can also be classed as a soul record. Its only the vocalist who's white.

p.s. the live version of Rock & Roll Suicide from the Ziggy farewell concert is easily the best ever, not that awful one they put out off the soundtrack which had overdubs, but the one off the original His Masters Voice bootleg...fantastic.

Social source share

See what you're saying but Bowie's most soulful track is It's Gonna Be Me, an unissued track from the Sigma Sound sessions in Philadelphia (which eventually got a release a couple of years back), an amazing soul ballad. I think "Win" off Young Americans can also be classed as a soul record. Its only the vocalist who's white.

p.s. the live version of Rock & Roll Suicide from the Ziggy farewell concert is easily the best ever, not that awful one they put out off the soundtrack which had overdubs, but the one off the original His Masters Voice bootleg...fantastic.

Not heard - It's Gonna Be Me - sure you're not getting that mixed up with the track N'Sync did :lol: (don't even ask me how I know they did a track of the same name!)

Agree with you about Win........thats a great track, best on the album. Amsterdam has its moments too......leads us down another path about white soul or at least white passion......Jacques Brel that man could let rip when he wanted too.

Doesn't Bolan have a more relevance to this site, what with being Gloria Jones hubby! any takers for Dandy In The Underworld???

Social source share

Not heard - It's Gonna Be Me - sure you're not getting that mixed up with the track N'Sync did :lol: (don't even ask me how I know they did a track of the same name!)

:lol:

I know more about Bowie than I know about Northern so not much chance of me making that error :lol:

Social source share

Actually the more I think about it......Bowies best dancer has to be The Laughing Gnome....great on the fours beat.....anyone got an instrumental out there...maybe Soussain??

I've always thought that as well, it's so hard to imagine it without a vocal though...but it is a headbanging stomper.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert